Alex Smith will most likely miss entire 2019 season — Redskins trade?

Patriot Killa

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

They needed a QB even if Smith was healthy. Smith is a solid player, but he's not a long term answer for them. They should be looking to trade up for Haskins if they believe he is a franchise QB. 

I wouldn't mind seeing us trade the #3 pick to a team who wants Haskins.

If the Jets could trade down and get Ferrell and some more picks for OL, that to me would be a great draft.  

Options for 3, depending on grades-

trade down within top 7-10

pick best player at 3, likely q Williams or oliver, and trade Leo.  

Suck it up at 3 and take Greedy or Ferrell. 

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

They don’t have to worry about number 2. Foles won’t stay the backup. He will opt out and make sure Philly or any other team commits in yrs and dollars, securing starting position.

Foles will get paid by someone this season to be the starting QB. 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

Would you trade up -- surrendering a kings ransom for Haskins?.... that should be a hard no, Across any/all franchises. 

Anyway, i get it. there's not much else to do/talk about it... So why not. The expectations of a trade are getting palpable around here though.  

My thing is this.. there are only going to be standard 2 main QB’s in next year’s draft.(Tua and Fromm with Herbert trailing...) You have the Giants, Dolphins, Jaguars, Bronco’s and Redskins needing a QB this year and even more so the next year. You only have a select few vet QB options like Foles and Joe Flacco. How many teams realistically are going to get a top QB that they have been waiting an entire year for? 2 teams? 3 at the most?

This is why I think that the Redskins or some other team will pull the trigger sooner than later at wind up with a 2019 QB. Someone is going to fall in love with Dwayne Haskins. He’s got the build, the arm strength, good short/intermediate accuracy and the college accolades necessary for teams to take him serious in the top 5 discussion. He went out there and had a 3TD performance in the rose bowl and if he kills the combine, we are going to be talking about Haskins a little more. Then you have the giant wildcard in Kyler Murray. He’s a fantastic athlete but I think 5’10 is just too short. A team might be stupid enough to go that route too. So I think there’s a chance. I really do. Not all of these teams are going to wait on 2020 because half of these teams will wind up missing out.. naturally. Once a franchise falls in love with a prospect, they will be willing to give it all up in order to pick him.

51 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Foles will get paid by someone this season to be the starting QB. 

Bronco’s will try to fix their QB issues with yet another nobody who has fixed his image with decent play in limited action. Elway is a puss and can’t draft QB’s. That Bronco’s team isn’t going anywhere until they bite down and take a 1st round QB like the rest of us.

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I was correcting you first off. How wrong you were about how much they owe smith next yr. Big difference between 20 and 30 mil bud. Lol. Don’t point out how many failures few bad jet gms made.. ha. Foles  will opt out.. He may be one the top FA out there. What’s your point ? He just wants to start, there is not more then 7 teams looking for starter ? 

Maybe he wants to stay close to his home past few yrs. In case you don’t have a map handy, dc isn’t too far from philly.. wash is probably the best team in nfl in play for a qb. Why they would make it work if Foles wants to go there. Doubt he wants to go to a shi! team.

Did we not have to move some pieces for farve ? 

Correcting me?  You can't even get your story straight.  First of all, I stated that the Redskins owe Smith 31 Million dollars over  the next two seasons, which is true.  Next, you made the statement that the Jets haven't made the  quarterback position a priority unlike other teams.  I then listed all of the Jets draft picks since the Year 2000 ,invested in the quarterback position.  I illustrated what round they were picked in, almost exclusively the first and second rounds, and informed you that on two occasions they in fact traded up in the first round to get their pick. Hardly not making the quarterback a "priority".  Poor drafting doesn't indicate a lack of commitment, it just illustrates bad choices.  Then you state that Foles "may be" one of the top Free Agents out there.  Way to go out on a limb there.  My single point, as has been throughout this long tedious "discussion" with you has been this.  Based on salary cap restrictions and cost,  Washington  is not a likely destination for Nick Foles. Your next ridiculous point is that "maybe he wants to stay close to home".  Do you know that Nick Foles was raised in Texas where his family still resides, and has ties to Arizona where he went to college.  His wife worked for Nike in Portland, Oregon.  Their daughter is less than four years old.  What makes you think that Philadelphia has any particular attraction that guarantees his wanting to reside there after he plays elsewhere?  Football players move all of the time, and rarely stay in a previous city, unless they've been established there for years and there are family issues involved, as was the case with Farve.  This is probably not the case here.  Then you make another "declaration that Washington is the "best" place in the NFL for a quarterback to play.  Based on what?  Their egocentric unstable Owner?  Their string of Winning seasons and Super Bowl Championships?  Their stability in the front office and coaching ranks?  Their high octane offense?  With the exception of three seasons of Kirk Cousins and 1+ seasons of Mark Brunell and " RG 3",  the Jets have been a better "destination" for a quarterback than the Redskins.  Then you wrap it up with a declaration that you "doubt he wants to go to a sh#t team".  What would you call the Redskins at this point in time? A perennial powerhouse?  An up and coming juggernaut?  You just pull "fun facts" out of the air to represent a contrarian point of view, and then try to lecture as if you have some type of  "superior" take on things.  It is ok to take a contrary view, just try to at least keep that view consistent and throw a fact or example out there once in a while.  It makes you seem more lucid, and less foolish.  As for Farve, he was  acquired for a fourth round draft pick that was upgraded to a three based on number of games played, not some "pieces" as you cited. This is just the kind of player that the Redskins should be looking for.  Just another example of your penchant for "throwing it out there" rather than looking it up or knowing what you were talking about.  Thanks for straightening me out.  It was an experience.

As the draft approaches and the QB class has a chance to impress scouts at pro days and the combine, the fervor to draft a QB in the top 5 will reach a fever pitch and I think the Jets are primed at #3 to take advantage to accumulate some very much needed picks and still get a quality player in the 1st round.  I'm hoping that Mac makes an early trade like he did last year instead of waiting it out.   

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

My understanding is that Jax has a tight cap.   That’s why they traded Fowler, knew they couldn’t re sign him

Where there’s a will there’s  a way. Just makes to much sense for these two to get together. Jax should have gone to the Super Bowl in ‘17 season. With a talented game manager at QB, there are extremely dangerous. 

7 hours ago, LES said:

Why would Foles go to a team like the Skins that aren’t even competitive. The Jags are his best fit, talent wise and I believe they desperately need a QB and will pay out the wazoo. Perfect fit for both. 

Jags have no cap space. They will have to gut that team in order to afford Foles, not sure it would be as attractive once those moves are made. 

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Jags have no cap space. They will have to gut that team in order to afford Foles, not sure it would be as attractive once those moves are made. 

Fournette is a goner. That alone saves them a ton. Tom C is a wizard ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Fournette/Bell/Hunt we will have options at RB. 

I don't believe Hunt will be in play for us. Mac's wife donates her time to charities supporting women who have been victims of domestic violence, this is likely the reason Mixon was not on our draft board as well.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't believe Hunt will be in play for us. Mac's wife donates her time to charities supporting women who have been victims of domestic violence, this is likely the reason Mixon was not on our draft board as well.

The Johnson brothers may feel differently about all that, who knows. 

Sign and donate a portion of his salary to the charities. 

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Keep in mind ~$10M needs to be used just to sign your draft class. You realize if the Jags trade Fournette this year they actually lose cap space for 2019 right? 

No didn’t know that. Thx. But you have to admit, Jax, with Foles, becomes extremely dangerous. No way they go into the season without a vet. There are numerous possibilities, Carr thru trade, Bridgewater, Flacco. Regardless of who they get, watch out!

12 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

Even a bad organization like the Skins know when it’s tank time. No way they trade up this year- too costly from 15.

if I were them I would trade back for 80 cents on the dollar. Get as much draft capital for next year to land Tua, Fromm Or Herbert. Dear Lord, if those guys were coming out this year, we could have a public auction for the right to trade up!

Well, if you guys don’t try and fix your oline, Sam is injured early on and out for the season - God forbid- you’ll be drafting at the top of the draft again.  Something to look forward to, more picks!

Then the crying that Sam is made of glass.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans have convinced someone is trading up to 3 for Haskins or that a 5'8" baseball player is going 1 overall 

is that the latest kool aid flavor? am I all caught up? 

look at these QBs, would YOU Trade up for them? 

No i would not trade up for any of them but if you picked 32 people from here and did a poll one person might trade up for a QB and that is all you need.

Never compare sensible fans with dumb teams and gms because there are enough idiotic moves by teams each year.  Also the jets trade up to get the bowling ball with knives, a player you loved and defended for years.

23 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

No, I'm saying there is a 0% chance Foles will opt out of a $20M option with the Eagles. He will force the Eagles to cut him so he doesn't need to pay $2M.

Lol.. this is just your opinion right? ? id have to look into if any of that 20 mil kicks in early offseason, and how long Foles has to use the opt out

2 hours ago, varjet said:

If the Jets could trade down and get Ferrell and some more picks for OL, that to me would be a great draft.  

Options for 3, depending on grades-

trade down within top 7-10

pick best player at 3, likely q Williams or oliver, and trade Leo.  

Suck it up at 3 and take Greedy or Ferrell. 

I'm a big fan of Ferrell but it we stay at 3, it's going to be hard not to take Greedy assuming Bosa is off the board. I know fans will groan about taking another player for the secondary but Greedy might be the BPA at that point. And he would fill a position of need.

I like the idea of trading down though if the right package gets offered. 

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm a big fan of Ferrell but it we stay at 3, it's going to be hard not to take Greedy assuming Bosa is off the board. I know fans will groan about taking another player for the secondary but Greedy might be the BPA at that point. And he would fill a position of need.

Greedy is good cant argue that. 

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

There is a 0% chance that Foles will opt out of $20M, they will have to cut him. 

0%?  If Foles can make more than $22M for the season, he should opt out.  If his agent finds out he can/will, he opts out.  It's not as crazy as it sounds.  Flacco, Alex Smith, and Jimmy Garoppolo all make $22M or more and Foles would certainly get considerably more in guarantees. 

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No i would not trade up for any of them but if you picked 32 people from here and did a poll one person might trade up for a QB and that is all you need.

Irrational overdrafting gets Tim Tebow into round 1. It doesn't get him into the top 3. 

teams might want to trade up, OK why would they trade up to this pick? be specific. Not hopes and dreams

for example if KK wants Tyler Murray at 1 and trades Rosen for let's say the NYG 6 pick, that's something could affect the top of the draft for sure. Maybe it pushes a Bosa down

it doesn't make Haskins worth top 3. IT's asking for lightning to strike twice. 

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans have convinced someone is trading up to 3 for Haskins or that a 5'8" baseball player is going 1 overall 

is that the latest kool aid flavor? am I all caught up? 

look at these QBs, would YOU Trade up for them? 

Agreed.  The Senior Bowl showed that these guys are garbage, it was alarming just how bad they were.   The notion that teams are clamoring to trade away multiple high value picks to get these guys is laughable.   There is a much better chance teams trade BACK to take a QB.  Maybe some action in the very end of the first/early second round.   

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Greedy might be the pick, I've been saying that this last week. Browns got Mayfield & Ward last year, Jets would have gotten Darnold & now Greedy? 2 really good players, plus Adams & Maye (dude needs to stay healthy), you fix your pass rush in free agency & Williams has everything he needs to get started transforming this defense. 

The entire rest of the draft should be Oline/WRs & maybe a stud LB that falls through the cracks ala Zach Thomas back in the day. Man, I wanted the Jets to pick him. 

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  The Senior Bowl showed that these guys are garbage, it was alarming just how bad they were.   The notion that teams are clamoring to trade away multiple high value picks to get these guys is laughable.   There is a much better chance teams trade BACK to take a QB.  Maybe some action in the very end of the first/early second round.   

If I am drafting project QB that I think has a decent chance to develop into a starter, I want him at the end of the 1st. To have a guy sit 3 years cheap and then start and walk as an UFA would be rough.  The fifth year options are pretty close to franchise figures, but I think the 2nd half of the round is a bit more palatable. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If I am drafting project QB that I think has a decent chance to develop into a starter, I want him at the end of the 1st. To have a guy sit 3 years cheap and then start and walk as an UFA would be rough.  The fifth year options are pretty close to franchise figures, but I think the 2nd half of the round is a bit more palatable. 

True.  Plus you certainly aren’t trading away additional draft capital to take these guys.  It’s one thing to maybe take one of these guys high, but it’s another animal all together to trade away a future 1 and a current year 2nd and 3rd to get one of them.  

Archived