Alex Smith will most likely miss entire 2019 season — Redskins trade?

Patriot Killa

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bosa and Allen go 1, 2 who do we take?  I am saying I do not see a positive blue chipper after bosa and perhaps allen.  who is the difference maker we are taking at 3?  Ferrel?  The one year DT from Bama who did nothing in the national championship game?

Who cares about getting exact chart value.  If you cannot trade down fine you can;t trade down but this draft to me is shaping up far better for the jets if we get a mid 1st rounder and a few 2nd and 3rd rounders or even picks next year.

We need oline, we need Wrs we need RBs

That’s a scary scenario. Bosa, Allen gone 1,2 and no one wants to trade up with us. It’s scary because Macc, if he has the power to, will take a DL. But, if Gase has any say so, he goes to CJ and insists Sam is protected first and the pick MUST be best T on your board. It’s not even debatable. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol I am well aware eagles won’t be in any rush to find a backup, as I mentioned in previous post :) Foles will 100% not wait for a measly 2 mil, and risk losing his first or 2nd choice.. no way Jose ?‍♂️He will opt out.. 

The Eagles need to designate if they are going to exercise the $20M option a month before FA starts. My argument is that the Eagles will not exercise this option and Foles will not need to opt out. If for some reason the Eagles want to use this option the contract becomes guaranteed on the 3rd day of the new league year. The Eagles will not be paying their Wentz $8M and Foles $20M. I'm sure Foles wants to start but if the Eagles offer him $20M then that means he may be the Eagles starter and that Wentz is going to be traded.

If Foles doesn't want to be an Eagle AND the Eagles chose to exercise the option then yes Foles will opt out of the deal.

50 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

The Eagles need to designate if they are going to exercise the $20M option a month before FA starts. My argument is that the Eagles will not exercise this option and Foles will not need to opt out. If for some reason the Eagles want to use this option the contract becomes guaranteed on the 3rd day of the new league year. The Eagles will not be paying their Wentz $8M and Foles $20M. I'm sure Foles wants to start but if the Eagles offer him $20M then that means he may be the Eagles starter and that Wentz is going to be traded.

If Foles doesn't want to be an Eagle AND the Eagles chose to exercise the option then yes Foles will opt out of the deal.

My point is, Foles wants to start, and receive a multi yr deal saying he is the starter. He would rather take a 2 yr deal at 36, then sit there and say “ well 20 is better “ and ride the backup. He isn’t worried about paying the 2 mil to be free. I think he will get over 20 easily. So he could demand Wentz be traded before start of new yr, and extension, or he opts out. Teams don’t want to be in limbo with qb position. Cousins signed on first day of FA last yr. the only reason why we played the wait game with Fitzpatrick that 1 yr because it was a certainty nobody else wanted him as their starter lol

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

My point is, Foles wants to start, and receive a multi yr deal saying he is the starter. He would rather take a 2 yr deal at 36, then sit there and say “ well 20 is better “ and ride the backup. He isn’t worried about paying the 2 mil to be free. I think he will get over 20 easily. So he could demand Wentz be traded before start of new yr, and extension, or he opts out. Teams don’t want to be in limbo with qb position. Cousins signed on first day of FA last yr. the only reason why we played the wait game with Fitzpatrick that 1 yr because it was a certainty nobody else wanted him as their starter lol

Your thinking is backwards though, Foles can only opt out if the Eagles opt in. The Eagles won't be opting in so Foles will be a FA. The only way the Eagles opt into that contract is if they want to move Wentz.

If that's the case, Foles may be more than happy to stay with the team he won a SB with. If Wentz is moved then I'm sure the Eagles would give Foles a brand new contract.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Your thinking is backwards though, Foles can only opt out if the Eagles opt in. The Eagles won't be opting in so Foles will be a FA. The only way the Eagles opt into that contract is if they want to move Wentz.

If that's the case, Foles may be more than happy to stay with the team he won a SB with. If Wentz is moved then I'm sure the Eagles would give Foles a brand new contract.

Wouldn't the Eagles opt in if teams were willing to give something up for Foles? I guess the way it is setup, it is probably not, since Foles could then just opt out. for $2M.  A team that wants the $2M won't want the $20M., 

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Looks like they will do what I expected. Opt in so Foles will opt out.  They want their 2 mil. Will be interesting to see where he goes. Giants should dump Eli and go with Foles. 

DF778BA9-3640-4421-AFA3-94AF1C8ED0E8.png

1B18CA75-DDB0-4DB5-BF48-56135D090CF1.png

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Looks like they will do what I expected. Opt in so Foles will opt out.  They want their 2 mil. Will be interesting to see where he goes. Giants should dump Eli and go with Foles. 

DF778BA9-3640-4421-AFA3-94AF1C8ED0E8.png

1B18CA75-DDB0-4DB5-BF48-56135D090CF1.png

Where in that entire article does it say that the Eagles will opt in to the $20M option? Everything I'm reading says that they will let Foles walk free and clear.

13 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Where in that entire article does it say that the Eagles will opt in to the $20M option? Everything I'm reading says that they will let Foles walk free and clear.

Here ya go https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2019/1/29/18201815/eagles-nick-foles-free-clear-philadelphia-quarterback-trade-rumors-nfl-contract-broncos-agent-news

BA018329-C7C0-457E-88EA-C4B9F2AB0F4B.png

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That's a ballzy move IMO, Foles could absolutely screw them by saying "I love Philly and am honored to stay with the team" If Foles wants to play hard ball he won't have to pay that $2M option back and will force the Eagles to cut him on the 2nd day of the new league year. In this situation the Eagles would not receive a 3rd round comp pick as he wouldn't be leaving as a FA. If they choose not to exercise the $20M option and let him walk then they will be guaranteed to get the comp pick.

Why would Foles willingly give back $2M when he knows the Eagles can not afford to keep him?

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

That's a ballzy move IMO, Foles could absolutely screw them by saying "I love Philly and am honored to stay with the team" If Foles wants to play hard ball he won't have to pay that $2M option back and will force the Eagles to cut him on the 2nd day of the new league year. In this situation the Eagles would not receive a 3rd round comp pick as he wouldn't be leaving as a FA. If they choose not to exercise the $20M option and let him walk then they will be guaranteed to get the comp pick.

Why would Foles willingly give back $2M when he knows the Eagles can not afford to keep him?

Forgetting they can also trade him if he doesn’t opt out.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Sure but then Foles can opt out of that deal, no team will trade for him on that deal cause he can walk away.

But if they traded him, and he opts out with new team, the new team gets the 2 mil no ? Foles will opt out if they do option him. He won’t want to be in limbo 

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

And it’s the right thing for them to do which is cut him loose. He won them a damn SB. Show some gratitude and let him walk and be a starter elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, LES said:

And it’s the right thing for them to do which is cut him loose. He won them a damn SB. Show some gratitude and let him walk and be a starter elsewhere. 

And that's the argument I am trying to make, let him walk. If they exercise the $20M option they are basically saying "Hey thanks for the ring we want $2M back" They should not try to force this dude to give back $2M because they will be dragged through the mud and Foles will be able to do what he wants anyway. The Eagles are not going to exercise that option unless they are looking to keep him.

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

But if they traded him, and he opts out with new team, the new team gets the 2 mil no ? Foles will opt out if they do option him. He won’t want to be in limbo 

Is there going to be any team that wants to give up a 3rd round pick (the compensation that the Eagles would receive if Foles walks) to receive $2M? I mean I certainly don't think that is enough money to get back to lose a 3rd round pick.

I'm not even sure that team would get the $2M, the way the contract is written is that he'd need to pay back $2M of his signing bonus. The signing bonus does not change teams with a trade, that hits the original team. So in theory if he is traded and then he opts out, the Eagles, not the new team, would receive the $2M. 

I really don't think the Eagles are going to opt into that $20M unless they are looking to keep him. 

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Is there going to be any team that wants to give up a 3rd round pick (the compensation that the Eagles would receive if Foles walks) to receive $2M? I mean I certainly don't think that is enough money to get back to lose a 3rd round pick.

I'm not even sure that team would get the $2M, the way the contract is written is that he'd need to pay back $2M of his signing bonus. The signing bonus does not change teams with a trade, that hits the original team. So in theory if he is traded and then he opts out, the Eagles, not the new team, would receive the $2M. 

I really don't think the Eagles are going to opt into that $20M unless they are looking to keep him. 

Well remember comp is very end of 3rd round, and comes a yr later. Thus making it's value between a four and a five for this yr.

i think any team that would trade for him would be interested in giving him a yr or 2 extension. Plus they would get word Foles would be interested if they would give up anything, say a 4th. Or the eagles can work our a trade where it’s a conditional pick in trade. If Foles Is not on their roster to begin season, they  get a 7th round pick, if he doesn’t they get a 4th

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Well remember comp is very end of 3rd round, and comes a yr later. Thus making it's value between a four and a five for this yr.

i think any team that would trade for him would be interested in giving him a yr or 2 extension. Plus they would get word Foles would be interested if they would give up anything, say a 4th. Or the eagles can work our a trade where it’s a conditional pick in trade. If Foles Is not on their roster to begin season, they  get a 7th round pick, if he doesn’t they get a 4th

But that's the thing, Foles ultimately has the say in where he goes if the Eagles exercise that option. If Foles wants to negotiate a contract with one team and be traded then that is one thing but why would he lock himself into one team when he can wait until the 2nd day of the league year for the Eagles to release him? Foles holds all the cards here because of 2 very important factors:

1) The Eagles can not afford to keep him unless they move Wentz. Foles knows this which is why he would not need to opt out and pay back $2M.

2) No team will trade for him because he can just walk away, what team is going to give up even a 7th round pick just to have Foles leave?

Archived