Ja'Wuan James: Dolphins Never Had an Offensive Identity

rayzor

“All year, we never had an offensive identity,” James said, via ESPN.com. “When things go really wrong, you don’t know what to go to if you don’t have any identity. You just end up trying random stuff.”

Guess we can cross him off the list of potential free agent pick ups.  For those who aren't familiar with him, he's an above average (ranked #33) 26 year old former first round (19th pick) RT just coming off of his rookie contract.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our identity on offense is becoming Sam Darnold.

The Dolphins had no identity because they had no "go to" guy to rally around.  There was no more Jarvis Landry and Tannehill can't read defenses.  They also started Brock Osweiler for 1/3 of their games.

What Ja'wuan doesn't understand is that you can't have an identity when you don't have players that do anything particularly well.

This isn't an excuse for Gase, he probably could have gotten more out of those guys, but there wasn't much to work with and he was riding a QB who is essentially the Florida version of Mark Sanchez.

Finally, how did the QBs seem to do reasonably well (both completed about 64% of passes and had positive TD-INT ratios) and the RBs were averaging like 4.5 yards per carry and this team did so bad on offense?

1219531241_ScreenShot2019-01-28at10_39_58AM.png.2c61015f8dbc5413cf80717994a42c47.png

2132142480_ScreenShot2019-01-28at10_39_48AM.png.71769a018ef9eaf629c06ef88851da0c.png

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they were the 30th ranked offense in the NFL

pretty sure even the Jets Jeremy Bates messin with sasquatch offense was ranked higher  

are we supposed to pretend the Dolphins were great? Cause Gase is the coach? 

Gase actually beat the Patriots twice in the last couple of seasons. How did the Jets do?

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Gase actually beat the Patriots twice in the last couple of seasons. How did the Jets do?

NE playing like crap in the city of Miami goes back way longer than Adam Gase. I hope he can recreate it in NJ, not betting money on it though.

my theory why teams crap the bed in Miami is 1) bad turf dating back to the mud bowl 2) players break curfews

In MIA the weather is nice, the cocaina is super primo (it's the gateway to South America) and week to week life in the NFL is a grind.  the city parties like none other. What's the alternative go to NJ and stay in the Marriott in the Parking lot of the Meadowlands? Curfews get broken in Miami. it's worth the effort.  

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they were the 30th ranked offense in the NFL

pretty sure even the Jets Jeremy Bates messin with sasquatch offense was ranked higher  

are we supposed to pretend the Dolphins were great? Cause Gase is the coach? 

bellichicken wasn't great until mo lewis knocked drew bledsoe into the next century.  coaches can only do so much if they don't have the players.  i'll take peyton mannings endorsemtn over juann james any day of the week.

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

NE playing like crap in the city of Miami goes back way longer than Adam Gase. I hope he can recreate it in NJ, not betting money on it though.

my theory why teams crap the bed in Miami is 1) bad turf dating back to the mud bowl 2) players break curfews

In MIA the weather is nice, the cocaina is super primo (it's the gateway to South America) and week to week life in the NFL is a grind.  the city parties like none other. What's the alternative go to NJ and stay in the Marriott in the Parking lot of the Meadowlands? Curfews get broken in Miami. it's worth the effort.  

Everyone knows that cocaine and nightlife are impossible to find in New York!

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Nice excuse, but prior to Gase arriving in Miami, the Dolphins were 11-13 at home the prior 3 seasons.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't know why Adam Gase couldn't run up the score with Brock Osweiller at QB!!

The only issue I have with Gase was his use of Kenyon Drake or lack thereof. I thought he was clearly better than Old Man Gore, but for some reason he couldn't consistent touches. 

My only concern too. But 156 to 120 in attempts for Gore and Drake isn’t as bad as I first thought without seeing #’s.

37 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Dolphins had no identity because they had no "go to" guy to rally around.  There was no more Jarvis Landry and Tannehill can't read defenses.  They also started Brock Osweiler for 1/3 of their games.

What Ja'wuan doesn't understand is that you can't have an identity when you don't have players that do anything particularly well.

This isn't an excuse for Gase, he probably could have gotten more out of those guys, but there wasn't much to work with and he was riding a QB who is essentially the Florida version of Mark Sanchez.

Finally, how did the QBs seem to do reasonably well (both completed about 64% of passes and had positive TD-INT ratios) and the RBs were averaging like 4.5 yards per carry and this team did so bad on offense?

1219531241_ScreenShot2019-01-28at10_39_58AM.png.2c61015f8dbc5413cf80717994a42c47.png

2132142480_ScreenShot2019-01-28at10_39_48AM.png.71769a018ef9eaf629c06ef88851da0c.png

Some OT talking about the team's offensive identity.  Don't make me barf.

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Everyone knows that cocaine and nightlife are impossible to find in New York!

the best stuff never leaves South Beach 

to put it into terms NY people can understand it's like going to Hawaii and buying pizza. Just cause you can buy something doesn't mean it's good 

even for sober people, NY is cold, gray and smells like piss at ground level. there are also a  distinctive lack of supermodel level ladies walking around in bikinis 

side note i didn't make Miami the party capital of North America. it happened over the years without my involvement. I don't make the rules I just report them 

Just now, bitonti said:

the best stuff never leaves South Beach 

to put it into terms NY people can understand it's like going to Hawaii and buying pizza. Just cause you can buy something doesn't mean it's good 

even for sober people, NY is cold, gray and smells like piss at ground level. there are also a  distinctive lack of supermodel level ladies walking around in bikinis 

So Bit thinks Medellin > Cali? 

37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

you think Jets players aren't partying in Manhattan?  The Dolphins facility is just as far from the action in Miami as Florham Park is from NYC.

22 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Nice excuse, but prior to Gase arriving in Miami, the Dolphins were 11-13 at home the prior 3 seasons.

Tom Brady is 8-10 over the last 18 years in Miami 

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/new-england-patriots/teamvsteam?opp=17&ha=A

He's 14-4 in NY 

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/new-england-patriots/teamvsteam?opp=22&ha=A

were the Dolphins a better franchise than the Jets over the last 18 years? 

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

you think Jets players aren't partying in Manhattan?  The Dolphins facility is just as far from the action in Miami as Florham Park is from NYC.

the away players don't stay in the team facilities. this is a discussion about away players.

Home players have wives, girlfriends, and newborn babies to deal with. Road players stay in hotels. The hotel in NJ is not exciting. The hotel in Miami is probably awesome. 

Miami is built to party. it's NY Nightlife plus LA weather plus all the drugs on the planet. 

I wasn't in favor of hiring Gase, but to trash him for MIA offense when his QB's were
Tannehill, Moore, Cutler and Osweiler is ridiculous.  A true measure of his ability to
create an offense will be seen when he has Darnold behind center

56 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We had zero identity under Bubba Gump. Just saying,  We were a sleep walking team always going through the motions.

I simply do not buy the whole 'oh he only had tannehill, cutler, oswiler' bit.   If you are a great offensive coach you get those guys to over produce.

Jets with a 20 year old rookie and a past it jag mccown with no oline, poor wrs and lousy backs were better than miami last year.

58 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And he went 5-1 vs the Jets, lol, beat us with Moore, Cutler & Osweiller, lol. 

We lost 5 times to Miami & Gase and every freaking single time I thought we should win...but we didn't? Why? because Gase outcoached Bowles (I know, not hard to do, but he did). He beat Bowles EVERYTIME he had to play his backup QB too. What does that tell you about his preparation. 

Each loss to Miami, I was like, "how the hell did we lose that game?", and each time I felt like the Fins were just more prepared & executed better than the Jets. 

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I simply do not buy the whole 'oh he only had tannehill, cutler, oswiler' bit.   If you are a great offensive coach you get those guys to over produce.

Jets with a 20 year old rookie and a past it jag mccown with no oline, poor wrs and lousy backs were better than miami last year.

Eh.  They won 3 games more than the Jets.  Yes their O was worse and their D better, but the difference was fractions of a point per game.  You don't like the Jets backs and WRs, but you like Amendola, Stills,. Gore and Drake? 

Winning games with Osweiler as your QB IS overproduction!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Archived