Gas2No99

New York Jets' Jamal Adams is the perfect new face of Big Apple football

New York Jets' Jamal Adams is the perfect New Face of Big Apple football

Jamal Adams

Geoff Magliocchetti

For far too long, the New York Jets have been a team without a face. They’ve come close, sure. Rex Ryan had the spotlight for a good while, fueled by bold declarations and HBO’s cameras. It might’ve been Darrelle Revis, had the shutdown corner not absconded off to New England for a season, winning a Super Bowl in the process. Mark Sanchez graced a GQ cover after a pair of AFC title games and fell off the face of the earth.

Those are ghosts of New York Jets’ past. Enter Jamal Adams.

Sunday’s Pro Bowl, a rare sign of the NFL’s mortality, doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things. A bunch of NFL stars, coupled with countless replacements who filled in for players either injured, indifferent, or playing in a different Bowl game next Sunday, descended upon Orlando for a backyard toss disguised as an all-star game.

Its lone effectiveness is catering to the fans through interaction, antics, and friendly competition. In that regard, no one completed that task better than Adams.

Contrasting the Pro Bowl’s reputation of pax football, Adams ran around the Orlando fields like a child on Christmas. No fan’s request went unfilled, even those of his closest rivals: the Florida Gators and New England Patriots. The latter’s fans did get an entertaining, yet painful, reminder of rivalry when Adams laid out their grinning mascot, delighting NFL-worshipping tourists sick of New England’s dominance.

And here’s the hit from Jamal Adams on Pat Patriot. From his own twitter handle. @ABC6 #patriots #everythingwegotpic.twitter.com/BFslhgo0hl

— Ian Steele (@ISteeleABC6) January 24, 2019

When the game itself was finally played, Adams was the rainy afternoon’s biggest winner. Breaking loose from the de facto two-hand touch antics that define the exhibition, Adams laid down a big hit on NFC quarterback Mitchell Trubisky on a botched flea flicker. Two plays later, Adams again snuffed out NFC trickery, intercepting a throw from Adam Thielen.

When all was said and done, Adams stood alongside the league’s offensive breakout star, Kansas City quarterback Patrick Mahomes, in accepting positional MVP awards.

Jamal Adams Patrick Mahomes (Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images)

Standing next to the potential league MVP, the message is clear, if it wasn’t already: a New York star is born.

New York, or New Jersey, professional football is in a state of disarray. Over the past two seasons, the Jets and their blue counterparts have won a combined 17 games. There needs to be a leader, a symbol of hope to lead the teams out of the abyss of losing. Those named as potential godsends either aren’t truly ready (Sam DarnoldSaquon Barkley), labeled capable yet unreliable in the eyes of critics (Odell Beckham Jr.), or desperate reminders of the past that have outlived their elite days (Eli Manning).

The established Adams is the ideal candidate.

In just his second season, Adams has established himself as the head on-field architect behind the Jets’ most recent rebuild. Obviously, no one in the Jets’ locker room active seeks defeats on Sunday afternoons. Adams, however, has been far more vocal about it.

“We’re going to figure it out,” Adams vowed after the loss to the hated Patriots in November. “Do I know when? Do I know the timetable? No, but all I can continue to do is do my part as a leader on this football team, just do my job and help those around do better.”

“My faith is strong. If you never know how to fix a problem, you lean on the man upstairs. Every time I start something in life, period, I don’t lose. You can get knocked down 20 times, but at the end of the day, you got to get back up, it doesn’t matter.”

Adams never called anyone about by name, but includes himself in a general sense of change throughout Jets football. That was perhaps best on display prior to the Jets’ December rematch with the Buffalo Bills.

The first 2018 meeting with Buffalo was marked by pure humiliation, a 41-10 shellacking that featured a career-best day from Matt Barkley, a successful fake punt, and an offensive tackle scoring a touchdown, all at the Jets’ expense. No one wanted to put further emphasis on an otherwise meaningless December matchup, but Adams wasn’t afraid to call it what it was.

“I’ll cut to the chase: it’s personal,” Adams declared leading up to the game. “They came in and they whooped us. They don’t like us, we don’t like them. It’s going to be a tough battle.”

The team would go on to respond to Adams’ challenge. They would erase an early 14-0 deficit and use a strong defensive performance to pull off a 27-23 victory, punctuated by the defense intercepting Bills rookie phenom Josh Allen.

new-york-jets-v-buffalo-bills-1.jpg (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)

Adams’ successful season has led to his first Pro Bowl nomination, one he took full advantage of. While most of the league’s sleepwalked through the game, Adams gave the audience a potential sign of what’s ahead.

It seems hardly the place to make a statement, with officials often blowing plays dead once a defender came within three steps of a ballcarrier. Paying no mind, Adams brushed off the concerns, as he often does, with his unique brand of personal flair.

“Who cares, man?” Adams said of the supposed lack of effort, per The Associated Press. “At the end of the day, we’re like little kids out there just playing in the mud, playing in the rain.”

Adams no doubt relishes and appreciates the opportunity the Pro Bowl affords him. His promise to never miss another Pro Bowl proved so popular, infamous awry prediction Twitter account Freezing Cold Takes made Adams’ social promise to never miss another game their cover photo, at the safety’s prompting.

However, if another certain bowl game was to present itself, Adams would happily break that promise.

Asked during Pro Bowl preparation about the arrival of head coach Adam Gase, Adams, who let his prior preferences be known on social media, gave a rave review for the former Miami Dolphins boss. While he enjoyed his figurative trip to Disney World, he’s looking forward to working with Gase when it comes to making a literal, sponsorship-mandated visit as well.

“I’m excited to have Coach Gase join the start of something new, I believe. He definitely reached out to me and gave me kind words,” Adams said, according to SNY’s Scott Thompson. “He was just saying it’s a long way ahead and he’s excited (about) it. And he’s looking forward to working with me. He said I gave him a couple of problems through the years, so he’s definitely excited to coach me.  . . . 

• Upvote 2
  • Butt Fumble 2

Saquon Barkley is one billion times more impactful to an NFL outcome and is infinitely more articulate and intelligent than our straight-up meathead showboat strong safety so I’m gonna say this article is as valuable as the toilet paper i just used to clean the vomit off the toilet seat at this bar I’m at. 

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 10

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Saquon Barkley is one billion times more impactful to an NFL outcome and is infinitely more articulate and intelligent than our straight-up meathead showboat strong safety so I’m gonna say this article is as valuable as the toilet paper i just used to clean the vomit off the toilet seat at this bar I’m at. 

I’m starting to think you don’t like Jamal. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PS17 said:

My mom always told me “impactful” is a made up word. She scolds Troy Aikman every week when he says it. 

Sounds like your mom isn't alone.   :)

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/impactful

impactful

[im-pakt-fuh l] 

adjective

having or manifesting a great impact or effect: After the senator's impactful speech, her bill passed. 

Origin of impactful

First recorded in 1960-65; impact + -ful

Usage note

Impactful is one of those words that somehow arouse intense disdain, especially among editors and other would-be guardians of English. According to its critics, the word exemplifies “bad, ugly usage.” They call it “barbarous,” dismiss it as “a meaningless buzzword,” and hate it so much that they extend their contempt of the word to contempt for its users. Some justify their scorn by saying that the word lacks the original meaning of the suffix -ful —“full of”— as in remorseful or wrathful. But impactful, when it entered English in the mid-1960's, was formed and construed in the same way as other well-established adjectives ending in -ful. In fact, as the Oxford English Dictionary points out, the “full of” sense is considerably weakened in a large number of these -ful adjectives. Instead, the suffix is interpreted as “having” or “characterized by,” as in beautiful, lawful, or graceful. In other common adjectives, -ful can even be glossed as “causing feelings of,” as in wonderful and dreadful . Both of these senses of -ful work perfectly well with the noun impact.
The aversion to impactful is reinforced by the distaste some people have for its root impact, especially when that word is used as a verb. (See usage note at impact ). But if impactful is indeed derived from the verb rather than the noun—which is not a certainty—there is nothing ungrammatical about that. When added to a verb, -ful has the meaning “apt to” or “able to,” as in mournful, wakeful, forgetful, and worshipful. Impactful may eventually settle into the language in similar fashion.
In sum, impactful entered English as a normal part of language growth and change, and there is no legitimate linguistic reason to reject it. Although there are alternative words available, English welcomes synonymy. And although the negative reactions to impactful may well be further encouraged by a sense that it is commonly found in so-called business-speak or other jargon-filled contexts, in truth the word, from its beginnings, has also been recorded in reputable newspapers, magazines, academic journals, and books.
Nevertheless, the very fact that so many people have passionate, unyielding objections to impactful makes it advisable to think twice before using it in contexts where it might not be accepted. Perhaps its variant impactive, with exactly the same meaning, is less likely to raise hackles. However, the “-ive” form appears in print only about one-fourth as often as the controversial impactful. 
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

28 minutes ago, PS17 said:

My mom always told me “impactful” is a made up word. She scolds Troy Aikman every week when he says it. 

Clearly, your mother is a hillbilly

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Sounds like your mom isn't alone.   :)

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/impactful

impactful

[im-pakt-fuh l] 

adjective

having or manifesting a great impact or effect: After the senator's impactful speech, her bill passed. 

Origin of impactful

First recorded in 1960-65; impact + -ful

Usage note

Impactful is one of those words that somehow arouse intense disdain, especially among editors and other would-be guardians of English. According to its critics, the word exemplifies “bad, ugly usage.” They call it “barbarous,” dismiss it as “a meaningless buzzword,” and hate it so much that they extend their contempt of the word to contempt for its users. Some justify their scorn by saying that the word lacks the original meaning of the suffix -ful —“full of”— as in remorseful or wrathful. But impactful, when it entered English in the mid-1960's, was formed and construed in the same way as other well-established adjectives ending in -ful. In fact, as the Oxford English Dictionary points out, the “full of” sense is considerably weakened in a large number of these -ful adjectives. Instead, the suffix is interpreted as “having” or “characterized by,” as in beautiful, lawful, or graceful. In other common adjectives, -ful can even be glossed as “causing feelings of,” as in wonderful and dreadful . Both of these senses of -ful work perfectly well with the noun impact.
The aversion to impactful is reinforced by the distaste some people have for its root impact, especially when that word is used as a verb. (See usage note at impact ). But if impactful is indeed derived from the verb rather than the noun—which is not a certainty—there is nothing ungrammatical about that. When added to a verb, -ful has the meaning “apt to” or “able to,” as in mournful, wakeful, forgetful, and worshipful. Impactful may eventually settle into the language in similar fashion.
In sum, impactful entered English as a normal part of language growth and change, and there is no legitimate linguistic reason to reject it. Although there are alternative words available, English welcomes synonymy. And although the negative reactions to impactful may well be further encouraged by a sense that it is commonly found in so-called business-speak or other jargon-filled contexts, in truth the word, from its beginnings, has also been recorded in reputable newspapers, magazines, academic journals, and books.
Nevertheless, the very fact that so many people have passionate, unyielding objections to impactful makes it advisable to think twice before using it in contexts where it might not be accepted. Perhaps its variant impactive, with exactly the same meaning, is less likely to raise hackles. However, the “-ive” form appears in print only about one-fourth as often as the controversial impactful. 
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

Well that made an impact.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You are not at a real bar you at the the asylum smoothie bar (where they hide your meds at the bottom of the smoothies) and that toilet paper was your bib. 

whoa

I think at this point we need an all encompassing ***Official Jamal Adams Thread***

Just now, T0mShane said:

Your a moron. Or a troll. Or a combination of both. One of the reasons why i rarely post here. Let's call ourselves Jet fans and trash our best players. Makes alot of sense. doesn't it

• Butt Fumble 1

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Your a moron

Homeboy dunking on himself. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, PS17 said:

Ah, yes. The holy grail internet insult. 

If the insult fits. It fits.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Homeboy dunking on himself. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Why argue facts. they mean nothing to you.

5 minutes ago, genot said:

Why argue facts. they mean nothing to you.

Which facts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Jamal Adams is perfect for NYC. Both are overrated and bragadocious about how great they are. 

Jamal Adams is Jacksonville, Fla

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Which facts

He's far more than a strong safety Tom. As good as Barkley is, he only managed to elevate the giants to a 5 win season. A running back who is the focal point of the offense. A million times more impactful than Adams. Please

I like Jamal Adams a lot.  As a player. As an example of how to play the game and treat the fan base.  He's definitely a leader on this team.  But as the "Face of the Franchise"?  I'll take Sam Darnold, thank you very much.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

Add irregardless.  Redundant, regardless sufficient.

Good call.  He’s a very handsome dude. 

Barkley is a great player there is no denying that but he is not ours. Jamal is, why let his showboating bother you the kid is trying to have fun while playing his heart out for us. I get that you were not happy with the pick but that is in the past and this is our guy why not just make an attempt to enjoy it?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

As Ben stern would say to his son

stop being stupid you moron

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

Your a moron. Or a troll. Or a combination of both. One of the reasons why i rarely post here. Let's call ourselves Jet fans and trash our best players. Makes alot of sense. doesn't it

Epic selfing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Barkley is a great player there is no denying that but he is not ours. Jamal is, why let his showboating bother you the kid is trying to have fun while playing his heart out for us. I get that you were not happy with the pick but that is in the past and this is our guy why not just make an attempt to enjoy it?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I love this one. Don’t dislike any player on the Jets guys. They’re ours!

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

One billion times more impactful equals one more win. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, prime21 said:

One billion times more impactful equals one more win. 

Call up the Giants and offer them Jamal Adams for either Saquon Barkley or ODB and see if you can induce a laughing-related Dave Gettleman stroke before he hangs up on you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Say hi to Jack O Lantern woman for us at that bar. 

not my cuppa...  the mouthy-ness...  but...shrug...   I hope he gets bettern bettern,

get the FOOTBALL. get the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALLget the FOOTBALL

and make some plays in the redzone to prevent scores.