New York Jets' Jamal Adams is the perfect new face of Big Apple football

Gas2No99

43 minutes ago, prime21 said:

“Jamal only has two interceptions in two seasons”.
I’ll take all his tackles, tackle for losses, forced fumbles, and high motor over a few more interceptions.

The real issue is that the FS and CB’s we throw out there who are in coverage all day can’t get interceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

#weppinz

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Call up the Giants and offer them Jamal Adams for either Saquon Barkley or ODB and see if you can induce a laughing-related Dave Gettleman stroke before he hangs up on you. 

Strictly hypothetically speaking, I think the Giants would be more than happy to swap out Odell Beckham for Jamal Adams. Why? The salary cap strapped Giants may need to find a replacement for Landon Collins who's a UFA this off-season, and Adam's is still on his rookie contract for two more years. I'm sure Jamal would like top play for the same team his father George was drafted by. Having Adams in place allows the Giants to place the non-excusive franchise tag on Landon Collins, and work out a trade with another club for a compensation that works for both teams in terms of draft picks, because nobody is giving up the required two first round picks to sign a strong safety, who's received the non-exclusive franchise tag. Now the Giants cap situation is better, and they likely have another first round draft pick, which gives them the more ammo they'll need to perhaps find Eli Manning's eventual successor. Giants lose a dynamic receiver in Beckham, but it's probably a better move for both parties, because the Giants are becoming Saquon Barkley's team, and the Giants don't have to worry about anymore Beckham drama, whether it be in the media, in the locker, or on the sidelines. Beckham would be better off with a team that already has found it's young franchise quarterback, and would pair nicely with newly signed Le'Veon Bell. Jet's will easily be able to absorb both Beckham and Bell's contract during the first four years of Sam Darnold's rookie contract. This will never happen, but I wanted to go down the rabbit hole and explore the possibilities of hypothetical trades and whether it would be plausible, which determines the worth of said player, Jamal Adams. I'm fine with keeping Jamal Adams, and having that Ray Lewis type leadership on the defensive side of the ball. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Call up the Giants and offer them Jamal Adams for either Saquon Barkley or ODB and see if you can induce a laughing-related Dave Gettleman stroke before he hangs up on you. 

Running backs are a dime a dozen. The Rams told us that in the playoffs. Anderson got the ball more than the great Todd Gurley.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The face of the team being Adams is so very Jetsy.

once we start winning more than 4 games and Sam plays at the level he ended the season on or better for a full year the "face of the team" will become Sam on a national scale. Right now he had a mixed rookie season and the casual NFL fan only heard the media talking about Baker. 

Give it time. 

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Just wait until he wants a raise. Then let's see how the board feels.

Berry is the top paid safety right now.  In 2017 (at the age of 29) he got $78 million over 6 years with a $20 million signing bonus and $40 million guaranteed over the first 2 years. (Avg of $13 million/year)

Come 2022, Jamal will want more.

We got Jamal locked down through 2020 and will have the 5th year option available for the 2021 season.  

In 2018, the 5th year option for a safety drafted in the top 10 of the first round was just under $10 million, so expect a 5th year option for 2021 for Jamal in the $10 million range.

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also Jets fans:  GIVE LE'VEON BELL ALL THE MONEY

Spending money unwisely. Look at what Conner did for the Steelers. In today's league running backs are interchangeable. To use up so much cap space on him would be foolhardy

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Spending money unwisely. Look at what Conner did for the Steelers. In today's league running backs are interchangeable. To use up so much cap space on him would be foolhardy

We saw him get hurt and they missed playoffs . Connor is no La’Veon 

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saquon Barkley is one billion times more impactful to an NFL outcome and is infinitely more articulate and intelligent than our straight-up meathead showboat strong safety so I’m gonna say this article is as valuable as the toilet paper i just used to clean the vomit off the toilet seat at this bar I’m at. 

Did Jamal runaway with your wife?

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

We saw him get hurt and they missed playoffs . Connor is no La’Veon 

Yea. But 16 million on a running back. No way. Before he got hurt, Conners was putting up similar numbers to Bell. He's not as good as Bell. Is he that much better that you'd spend that kind of cash on him. I don't see it.

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Yea. But 16 million on a running back. No way. Before he got hurt, Conners was putting up similar numbers to Bell. He's not as good as Bell. Is he that much better that you'd spend that kind of cash on him. I don't see it.

Yes to not field a offense with Powell and Mcguire and Crowell as lead dogs I would . Jets have no one to pay anytime soon that they should be afraid to pay for a elite talent .  If the guaranteed money doesn’t past 3 years I’m all for it .

signing bell would not stop jets from bringing in more talent they will still have ton of money and are on pace for ton of free cap space again  next year .  . Hell it might make more talent want to actually come here.

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Yes to not field a offense with Powell and Mcguire and Crowell as lead dogs I would . Jets have no one to pay anytime soon that they should be afraid to pay for a elite talent .  If the guaranteed money doesn’t past 3 years I’m all for it .

It's an opinion that alot of people agree with. Good reasons behind the opinion. I just feel uncomfortable spending that kind of money, on a position that's becoming increasingly devalued.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Doesn't matter if it's well received, every player should get every dime they can.  They can't worry about whiny fans complaining about stuff they don't understand.

Oh I agree. It's easy to love a guy--and his antics, whatever they may be--when he's a pro bowler on a rookie deal. When he wants to be paid like a pro bowler, watch the winds go from North to South in a jiffy. Keep in mind these same "experts" would put the squeeze on their employers if another company offered them a 10% pay hike.

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

Doesn’t matter. if your a top player at your position then you want to be paid like that. Do you know any top players in the league not on a rookie contract that tell their agent “give me less money so we can sign others”. This is not the NBA.

Tom Brady...LOL

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Actually it's: "I told ya not to be stupid you moron". Or you could have went with: "SHUT up, SIT down."

Testin testing we are now checking for proper modulation As you know when you record the electric eye which is a green like tube will open and close OK I will now play this back to check the quality of this recordIng

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh I agree. It's easy to love a guy--and his antics, whatever they may be--when he's a pro bowler on a rookie deal. When he wants to be paid like a pro bowler, watch the winds go from North to South in a jiffy. Keep in mind these same "experts" would put the squeeze on their employers if another company offered them a 10% pay hike.

So a handful of fans will whine about the deal, the money etc.  Its a handful in the grand scheme of things.  I didnt begrudge Revis his payday but will freely admit he handled his contract negotiations etc about as coldly as possible and pissed more off than he would have if he just let the negotiations go on behind the scenes.  If Adams just gets paid what the top Ss get, few will complain, the same who complain about him today.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So a handful of fans will whine about the deal, the money etc.  Its a handful in the grand scheme of things.  I didnt begrudge Revis his payday but will freely admit he handled his contract negotiations etc about as coldly as possible and pissed more off than he would have if he just let the negotiations go on behind the scenes.  If Adams just gets paid what the top Ss get, few will complain, the same who complain about him today.

We'll see. Hope it's just a vocal minority. But in my 40 years experience with this team, most fans act like playing for the Jets is a God-given privilege and if you disagree with what the team thinks you're worth, you're a traitor.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Right because when Revis wanted to be the top paid CB in the league, that was so well-received around here.

Revis never waited to honor his previous contract before "putting the screws" to the Jets.  It became almost a "training camp" rite of passage or something.  Every summer we waited to see, " will he or won't he show up".  That is the difference.  That is what we Jet fans remember so well, and aren't so willing to forget.

Revis never waited to honor his previous contract before "putting the screws" to the Jets.  It became almost a "training camp" rite of passage or something.  Every summer we waited to see, " will he or won't he show up".  That is the difference.  That is what we Jet fans remember so well, and aren't so willing to forget.

I remember him playing lights out during that brief playoff run we had. I choose to look at the glass half full.

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

We'll see. Hope it's just a vocal minority. But in my 40 years experience with this team, most fans act like playing for the Jets is a God-given privilege and if you disagree with what the team thinks you're worth, you're a traitor.

This is an oversimplification of the Revis situation in my opinion.  Revis signed deals and then held out on multiple occasions.  If Revis got a monster deal, and then honored it, I don't think many would complain.  But, Revis wanted to get a monster deal, and then not honor it, so that he could get more money, and this hurts the team.

With Adams, I think it will be very different, frankly, because Adams does not have the same value as Revis.  If Adams gets a big deal, the question will be, is he worth that portion of the cap.  A lot of people believe that a SS who, as yet, does not generate turnovers, isn't worth that kind of resource allocation.  I don't think that's such a crazy take, even if you don't agree with it.

18 minutes ago, prime21 said:

The Adams non fans are running out of material to use. Now it’s the “watch him hold out in a few years”. That’s hilarious!!!!!

Jamal Adams signature NFL performance was in an exhibition game where most players aren't actually trying.

I think there's still plenty of material.

7 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I remember him playing lights out during that brief playoff run we had.  I choose to look at the glass half full. 

Interesting, because I remember both.  Believe it or not, it's possible to think that Revis was a great CB who's business practices were not in the best interest of the Jets success.

Just as it's also possible to think that Jamal Adams is a good football player who was a bad draft pick at 6 with Mahommes/Watson on the board and Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty on the roster.

Just as it's also possible to think that Jamal Adams is a good football player who, barring significant improvement, wont be worth the salary cap allocation of a top safety, based on what he currently brings to the team.

Interesting, because I remember both.  Believe it or not, it's possible to think that Revis was a great CB who's business practices were not in the best interest of the Jets success.
Just as it's also possible to think that Jamal Adams is a good football player who was a bad draft pick at 6 with Mahommes/Watson on the board and Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty on the roster.
Just as it's also possible to think that Jamal Adams is a good football player who, barring significant improvement, wont be worth the salary cap allocation of a top safety, based on what he currently brings to the team.

Jamal have a very good rookie year.
Jamal followed that up with a great year.
Oh look, the sky is falling.

SMH

1 hour ago, genot said:

Running backs are a dime a dozen. The Rams told us that in the playoffs. Anderson got the ball more than the great Todd Gurley.

To use the cliché "running backs are a dime a dozen" when referring to Saquon Barkley is simply ridiculous.  The fact that he may be a more dangerous weapon out of the backfield than in it, in and of itself, should tell you that this is a different animal.  There is simply no player currently in the league, at this time that has more big play potential, to break one off, or  "flip the script" on the outcome of the game.  He is the most dynamic player in the NFL right now.  Period.  That includes, ,Bell, Beckham, Gurley, all of them.  And he's just a second year back.  If he's a dime a dozen player, here's my dime.

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saquon Barkley is one billion times more impactful to an NFL outcome and is infinitely more articulate and intelligent than our straight-up meathead showboat strong safety so I’m gonna say this article is as valuable as the toilet paper i just used to clean the vomit off the toilet seat at this bar I’m at. 

:bs_lame:

I'm looking forward to a great game from Jamal in the Snoopy Bowl.  But all kidding aside, what it comes down to with the pros and cons of Adams: old school fans just don't like all the braggadacio, we like the humble types.  The question, is, if we're talking JUST about his play on the field, how good is he? If he never had internet and was quieter, would he be noticed?  I can't tell, because I don't know football well enough to know if a safety is playing well, unless he is unbelievable. I can better tell if a corner is playing well... but  in today's game, all the secondaries are getting burn like toast, so it's hard for me to gauge how good he is. So that mouth is what sticks out.

Archived