John Elway's QB crush could shake up NFL draft

joewilly12

3 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Shoe is on the other foot this time, baby.

No one offering less than 1st and 2nd born child need apply.

IF the QBs are valued as such, I'm not so sure for this batch; but I' all for fanning the flames. 

I think the REAL conundrum the Jets will face is:

If Nick Bosa is THERE at #3, DO YOU TAKE HIM? or Trade down b/c 1 team WILL GO AFTER him as a "final piece" (see NOLA & trade up for Davenport in '18)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, varjet said:

I think if we study history and go back in the archives, we will see mock drafts in January that show QBs going 5-15 who end up going 1-10 in the actual draft.  

It's a crap shoot. 

A PERFECT example was the move-ups & run in the 2011 draft for QBs that set Jax, Minnesota, Tenn BACK YEARS. 

Then 2017 draft Watson and Maholmes were worth moving up for, but NOT into the Top 10, YET Trubisky went #2 overall w/MUCH LESS of a college resume. I could have SWORE the Jets would have traded out of #6 in 2017 for a team KILLING for Watson, it didn't happen. 

SO who knows . . . . ?

Just know any deal Mac makes will be substantially less than what he gave up to go from 6 to 3. Can see him dropping from 3 to 10 for a second this year and a third next year which is worthless. I would rather have the stud player vs an above avg player and the usual scrub 2nd and third rounders.

16 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

It's a crap shoot. 

A PERFECT example was the move-ups & run in the 2011 draft for QBs that set Jax, Minnesota, Tenn BACK YEARS. 

Then 2017 draft Watson and Maholmes were worth moving up for, but NOT into the Top 10, YET Trubisky went #2 overall w/MUCH LESS of a college resume. I could have SWORE the Jets would have traded out of #6 in 2017 for a team KILLING for Watson, it didn't happen. 

SO who knows . . . . ?

Worse yet, CHI paid a lot (3rd, 4th, next year's 3rd) to move up from #3 to #2 to make sure they got him.  That's the kind of trade I can get happy about.  Doubt it would happen, but how I would love to see OAK pay to move up like that :)

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

I don't see the separation in these prospects that would drive a huge trade and there are a couple super bowl mvp QBs that can be had as well 

That's where The Combine and Pro-Days come in. We need that "BUZZ" to push up their value and hopefully create enough of a demand to benefit the Jets. I'm skeptical b/c Mac couldn't muster a trade for #6 when Mike Williams, M. Lattimore, Watson, & Maholmes were STILL on the board; and the latter 2 teams traded UP for. I've lost faith in Mac either way: to pick the right premium position player  OR acquire more later round picks only to scatter shoot those like his previous drafts. Perhaps, that's why I'm banking on Gase to make omelets out of chicken $hit. 

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

I don't see the separation in these prospects that would drive a huge trade and there are a couple super bowl mvp QBs that can be had as well 

Pop quiz:  Wherever you are picking in the 1st round, you can draft Dwayne Haskins or you can trade the pick for Joe Flacco.  Is there any team where the answer for you would be Flacco?  The lowest draft pick of any team that probably needs a QB is WAS at #15.  The problem they have is they probably can't afford Flacco because their cap is shot.  If you were the GM of MIA at #13, would you stake your job on Flacco?  

The only team that I could possibly see considering him as a starter is DEN.  Elway might be dumb enough to think he's one Joe Flacco away from challenging for the SB.  He'd be wrong, but he still might do it.

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Pop quiz:  Wherever you are picking in the 1st round, you can draft Dwayne Haskins or you can trade the pick for Joe Flacco.  Is there any team where the answer for you would be Flacco?  The lowest draft pick of any team that probably needs a QB is WAS at #15.  The problem they have is they probably can't afford Flacco because their cap is shot.  If you were the GM of MIA at #13, would you stake your job on Flacco?  

The only team that I could possibly see considering him as a starter is DEN.  Elway might be dumb enough to think he's one Joe Flacco away from challenging for the SB.  He'd be wrong, but he still might do it.

Ok, foles then 

Every team looking for a QB can get one 

Is Haskins so much better than the other 2 that you trade 3 or more good picks for him? 

The raiders are in the catbird seat, but if they have carr on the roster draft day everyone will call his bluff and just stick and pick 

21 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

That's where The Combine and Pro-Days come in. We need that "BUZZ" to push up their value and hopefully create enough of a demand to benefit the Jets. I'm skeptical b/c Mac couldn't muster a trade for #6 when Mike Williams, M. Lattimore, Watson, & Maholmes were STILL on the board; and the latter 2 teams traded UP for. I've lost faith in Mac either way: to pick the right premium position player  OR acquire more later round picks only to scatter shoot those like his previous drafts. Perhaps, that's why I'm banking on Gase to make omelets out of chicken $hit. 

We need separation. We need 1 guy to kill it and the other 2 to puke on their shoes 

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Why does Elway fall in love with big armed QB's with no accuracy???  Osweiler,

Lynch and now Lock, who was erratic during the Senior Bowl week.  Way too 

many times did he throw balls out of bounds never giving his WR a chance to

make a catch

maybe it's because elllway was a big armed qb with limited accuracy.  hey, whatever.  hopefully he'll want to trade up to the 3 spot.

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Just know any deal Mac makes will be substantially less than what he gave up to go from 6 to 3. Can see him dropping from 3 to 10 for a second this year and a third next year which is worthless. I would rather have the stud player vs an above avg player and the usual scrub 2nd and third rounders.

Yep. Especially given macs horrible record post round 1. He likely blows both picks we pick up from trade down. Not worth it.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

MM:  Hello John lets make a deal 

JE: Yes what do you want for the #3 pick. 

MM: We swap this years #1s you give your #1 in the 2020 NFL draft plus this 2019 2nd round pick and Shane Ray 

JE: Ok done deal

Not sure that Shane Ray would be a fit for us any longer if we are switching to a 4-3

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol smoke way tooo early . But either way  I hope Macc let these . teams know where open for business . I’m still hoping for 2nd this year and 1st next year package for swapping with somebody . 

That would be incredible.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

MM:  Hello John lets make a deal 

JE: Yes what do you want for the #3 pick. 

MM: We swap this years #1s you give your #1 in the 2020 NFL draft plus your 2019 2nd round pick and Shane Ray 

JE: Ok done deal

Can you substitute Von Miller for Shane Ray since this is a dream scenario anyway?

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Why does Elway fall in love with big armed QB's with no accuracy???  Osweiler,

Lynch and now Lock, who was erratic during the Senior Bowl week.  Way too 

many times did he throw balls out of bounds never giving his WR a chance to

make a catch

People are generally attracted to others who share the same qualities that they possess. Tall, Strapping,  Big Arm, Somewhat Erratic.  Sound like John Elway is searching for the modern reincarnation of himself, doesn't it?

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

People are generally attracted to others who share the same qualities that they possess. Tall, Strapping,  Big Arm, Somewhat Erratic.  Sound like John Elway is searching for the modern reincarnation of himself, doesn't it?

Do any of the QB's look like a horse? 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Trade Denver our 3 for there 10 and this years 2nd round pick next years #1 and Shane Ray and we have a deal. 

How bad do they want a franchise QB. 

Shane Ray is an UFA. The Broncos DECLINED his 5th year option, so he's free to sign anywhere BUT he had wrist surgery and hasn't produced as projected. He was only in 11 games w/ 6 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF in 2018.

8 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Not sure that Shane Ray would be a fit for us any longer if we are switching to a 4-3

:blink: WHAT?!?!? 

Ray EXCELLED as a pass rusher at Missouri playing as a down lineman DE in a 4-3 base defense. Ray had 4.5 sacks as a reserve DE in 2013 and 14.5 sacks and 22.5 TFLs in 2014. 

Ray will do FINE as DE in a 4-3 defense. He'd probably be a solid short term signing. A prove-it contract to add depth w/a high ceiling yet to be reached due to injuries. 

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Shane Ray is an UFA. The Broncos DECLINED his 5th year option, so he's free to sign anywhere BUT he had wrist surgery and hasn't produced as projected. He was only in 11 games w/ 6 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF in 2018.

Thank you for the information. 

If we could trade back to 10, we could get the best reciever on the board at 10, stud oline rnd 2.  A rb and another reciever in rnd 3.

And then have 2 firsts next year.

It would be a home run and set us up nicely to overtake the pats by 2020 or 2021.

No leveon bell or brown in FA will be the key.  Be patient and build through the draft.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Ok, foles then 

Every team looking for a QB can get one 

Is Haskins so much better than the other 2 that you trade 3 or more good picks for him? 

The raiders are in the catbird seat, but if they have carr on the roster draft day everyone will call his bluff and just stick and pick 

Foles is legit.  I don't think Flacco is anymore if he ever was.  The point I replied to mentioned two Super Bowl MVPs.  Any GM who pins his teams fortunes on Flacco now is probably sniffing glue.

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You guys touting Foles do know that he's a pocket passer playing behind an Oline that has 3 pro bowlers right? 

Things will change drastically for him when his line is much weaker protecting him.

And he had Dougie Pederson calling plays. Broncos are going to have a first-time offensive coordinator calling plays for them next season.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Then why didn't he pick Josh Allen last year when he had the opportunity?  He's a better prospect than Lock.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

John Elway’s quarterback crush could shake up NFL draft

January 29, 2019 | 11:26am

Modal Trigger
Drew Lock
Drew LockGetty Images

John Elway may think he’s found the next John Elway.

The Denver Post reported that Elway, now the Broncos president and general manager, walked away from the Senior Bowl impressed with Missouri star quarterback Drew Lock.

“The worst-kept secret at the Senior Bowl: John Elway is smitten with Lock,” Denver Post reporter Mark Kiszla wrote.

The Broncos pick at No. 10 in April’s draft, and Lock is projected to be one of the top quarterbacks taken, along with Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins and Duke’s Daniel Jones. The Giants pick at No. 6 and the Jaguars at No. 7 with both — depending on how free agency unfolds — potentially interested in quarterbacks. Would Elway have to move up in the draft to get Lock?

“A connecting of the dots would suggest Elway and Co. are trying to fall in love with Lock,” Denver Post colleague Ryan O’Halloran said in the back-and-forth conversation with Kiszla.

“Elway was at the Arkansas-Missouri game in November. Elway was at the Senior Bowl practices for three days and barely left the quarterback group. I believe the Broncos are targeting multiple quarterbacks (as they should) and Lock is probably one of them (as he should be).”

There was talk for months that none of the quarterbacks in this draft match the hype that last year’s group garnered, but they have all been moving up mock draft boards. Lock had an up-and-down career for the Tigers with his accuracy being the biggest question mark. He finished his four-year career at Missouri with a 56.9 percent completion rate, though that number did go up each season.

“I think I [helped my case this week],” said Lock, who completed 9-of-14 passes for 57 yards for the victorious North team. “Being able to talk to teams, really get to know them on a personal level, that was a big thing I was looking forward to. And then just improving every single day in practice. So, I was happy with this week.”

Elway led the Broncos to two Super Bowls on the field and coaxed Peyton Manning to Denver to help bring the franchise its third. But his acumen for finding the next franchise quarterback has been flawed. The biggest bust has been Paxton Lynch, whom the Broncos used a first-round pick on in 2016.

Lynch, who starred for Memphis in college, appeared in five games for the Broncos before being cut in September. Case Keenum will be entering his second year as the Broncos’ stopgap answer at the position, but the future is very much in question.

If Elway believes that much in Lock, he may be willing to take a risk to get him.

image.gif

This is a simple nostradumbass prediction IMO, Denver sends pick No. 10, a later round pick, and Case Kenum (spelling) for pick No. 6.

Archived