Top 30 trades of 2018: Jets/Colts at #3 (ESPN)

jetstream23

According to the text of the commentary shouldn't the title be more appropriately called, "Colts fleece Jets".  I don't agree with the author's take anyway, "Darnold didn't make much of an impact in '18", guess he didn't watch any Jet's games.  Giving up the third #2 at the time I thought was overkill, and this article brings back the sting, being we're starting to focus on this year's draft with no #2.  All in all I wouldn't give back Sam for four #2's. Giving Macc some credit, Teddy Bridgewater was an excellent signing.

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

According to the text of the commentary shouldn't the title be more appropriately called, "Colts fleece Jets".  I don't agree with the author's take anyway, "Darnold didn't make much of an impact in '18", guess he didn't watch any Jet's games.  Giving up the third #2 at the time I thought was overkill, and this article brings back the sting, being we're starting to focus on this year's draft with no #2.  All in all I wouldn't give back Sam for four #2's. Giving Macc some credit, Teddy Bridgewater was an excellent signing.

Had the same thought when I read it.  Pretty one sided take from the author. 

We needed a QB and found a way to go get one.  We paid a steep price, but got a QB without surrendering this year's 1.  Imagine the takes on this if we had given up #3 overall this year.  Bottom line is if Sam develops into what we all saw glimpses of this year, it turns out to be a really good trade for both sides.  Didn't like giving up all of those picks, but it had to be done.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

We needed a QB and found a way to go get one.  We paid a steep price, but got a QB without surrendering this year's 1.  Imagine the takes on this if we had given up #3 overall this year.  Bottom line is if Sam develops into what we all saw glimpses of this year, it turns out to be a really good trade for both sides.  Didn't like giving up all of those picks, but it had to be done. 

Even worse....imagine if we'd given up all those picks, only to end up with Josh Allen at QB?

14 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Hopefully with this years #3 we get our chance to do the fleecing and will be reading an article like this from a Jet Homer next year!

Truth is you aren’t going to be competitive in the NFL until you find your franchise QB. Finding your guy is far from a guarantee, but you can’t even start trying until you do. So yes we paid a premium for Sam, yes Indy did a nice job with the picks they got and hopefully we get at least a decade of competitiveness from those three second round picks. 

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

its media bullsh*t....someone tell me quickly who the browns drafted with the 5 picks they got for Julio Jones. If Sam turns out to be Aaron Rodgers this will be the biggest steal in history.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Truth is you aren’t going to be competitive in the NFL until you find your franchise QB. Finding your guy is far from a guarantee, but you can’t even start trying until you do. So yes we paid a premium for Sam, yes Indy did a nice job with the picks they got and hopefully we get at least a decade of competitiveness from those three second round picks. 

I think the bigger issue is they passed on a few QBs the year before to take a safety because the GM thought Hackenberg was the future so that they then had to sell the farm to maybe only get the 3rd best QB in the draft. Luckily the Giants are dumb and the Jets got a good one. But they could be a year further ahead in the progress of a young QB, and rebuilt the o-line last season with a bevy of picks. It’s all hindsight but it makes retaining the GM look preposterous. 

I just feel like without Sam Darnold playing, we don’t even win in Buffalo or Indy. I think this is a two win team without Darnold. The gap was clear as day when McCown entered the game and when Darnold was in. Darnold made them far more competitive. Josh McCown threw, what, 1 TD in 3 games?

I also would hate to think about the Colts haveing our #3 overall pick this offseason had Maccagnan decided to keep a 2nd rounder or two over 2019’s 1st. He did a good job giving them the least that he could give them. He had 2 seconds and used them accordingly instead of handing over the precious 1st.

I don’t care what anyone says about value, this or that. As much as I hate the job Maccagnan has done, I will go to my grave saying that this was the right trade for the NY Jets.

I think it's interesting how that's framed. When you consider what previous teams have given up for guys like RG3, Goff and Wentz it wasn't close to a fleecing -- and while we lucked into it we ended up getting the 3rd pick for MUCH cheaper than we would have if it was draft day and Darnold was on the board.

What the author doesn't say is that one of those 2nd round picks was for Sheldon who we weren't keeping. When you think of it that way the Jets only gave up 2 second round picks and received Kearse and Sam Darnold. The Colts made out great but so did the Jets. I'll make that trade a million times over if it means we get Sam Darnold.

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

What the author doesn't say is that one of those 2nd round picks was for Sheldon who we weren't keeping. When you think of it that way the Jets only gave up 2 second round picks and received Kearse and Sam Darnold. The Colts made out great but so did the Jets. I'll make that trade a million times over if it means we get Sam Darnold.

the intent was not to praise the jets for getting a qb.  the intent was to show how the colts benefitted immediately.

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Kinda interesting that Sam and the Jets beat the Colts in their last meeting....with Quinton Nelson and Andrew Luck at QB.  

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Lots of options for titles but he went with, "The Jets trade up for a quarterback."  Your title is probably more appropriate but there were other options like "Jets push their chips to the center of the table in bet on future" or "Jets make down payment to solve decades-long Quarterback need"

Trades can only be evaluated over time, probably 2-3 years.  But this does seem like one of the most significant trades in recent memory that could actually work out well for both teams.

Let's hope that the Jets find themselves in a similar situation as the Colts are with Luck, having the ability to trade out of a valuable QB draft spot and accumulate some picks.  If only Justin Herbert came out of college this year and entered the Draft, that may have helped.

3 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Two really good posts that sum up most Jets fans feelings about the trade. I think the article was fair though in how they broke everything down. He's correct when he explains how much we overpaid to move 3 spots. Jets fans have to realize people like the author look at the season Sam had differently then we do. It wasn't as impressive we want to make it. We want so bad to believe we finally have a FQB we bend over backwards to give him every benefit of the doubt. We thank the football gods the Giants didn't take Darnold, and mock them for taking Barkley. We should be grateful instead though. If they took a QB, we would've been stuck with the 3rd choice of QB after giving up all we did, only to be stuck with a guy we could've picked at 6 anyway. We just need to hope Darnold takes a big step up and becomes the QB and leader we need. No matter how much we claim to know he already has, or no doubt will, he hasn't yet. Us saying he will doesn't make it true. 

In reality, as of today the trade was a slam dunk for the Colts just as the author said. But that's only if you look at the trade today. If Darnold DOES develop, then the Jets can breath easier and feel good about the trade. The Colts made a great deal regardless, but we can then feel the trade was good for us also. It gave us a chance. As with most trades, we won't know for a few years if one team made out better, or if both teams ended up happy. For the Jets, it all depends on Darnold.

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Kinda interesting that Sam and the Jets beat the Colts in their last meeting....with Quinton Nelso and Andrew Luck the QB.  

Kinda interesting? Not really, especially since the Colts made the playoffs, while we were one 4th down TD run away from having the 1st pick in this years draft. Even with that win we're picking 3rd. That win over the Colts isn't really that interesting at all, except it was one of the 4 or 5 games that gave us some hope that Darnold can become a FQB for us. 

I still think the Browns took Mayfield thinking that the Giants "had" to take Darnold and since the Jets were taking a QB that left the Browns with Barkley at 4.  So the Giants not only screws themselves (Giants brain trust no doubt failed to adjust to Darnold being there) but they screwed the Browns as well.

So......since Darnold should never have been there our trade was dumb and we should have stayed at 6 and gotten the 3rd best QB+our picks.  F'ing Mac (and us fans)  got sooo beyond lucky the way things shook out.  TY GIANTS!!!!!     

22 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Darnold showed plenty this year.  In two years -- probably just one year -- this trade will be graded objectively as Macs greatest move.

I agree.  If Darnold is a franchise guy for 10-15 years then we got a steal and underpaid for him.  He could outlast Head Coaches and GMs just like guys like Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan and now Aaron Rodgers have.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think the bigger issue is they passed on a few QBs the year before to take a safety because the GM thought Hackenberg was the future so that they then had to sell the farm to maybe only get the 3rd best QB in the draft. Luckily the Giants are dumb and the Jets got a good one. But they could be a year further ahead in the progress of a young QB, and rebuilt the o-line last season with a bevy of picks. It’s all hindsight but it makes retaining the GM look preposterous. 

"GM thought Hack was the future" 

Where do you get this crap from?  It's obviously wrong.   Link?

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree.  If Darnold is a franchise guy for 10-15 years then we got a steal and underpaid for him.  He could outlast Head Coaches and GMs just like guys like Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan and now Aaron Rodgers have.

If we made the trade on draft day, with Darnold on the board at 3, we'd have paid a ton more.

This was a definite win-win trade - largely due to the fact that Darnold fell.  

Also, far be it for me to be called a Jets homer, but this deal is much better IMO than the Bears trade.  Khalil Mack is great, he elevated the defense.  But, the reason for the Bears success was that they got a better performance from Trubisky than anyone expected.  And still, they lost in the 1st round of the playoffs and don't have a 1st round pick until 2021.

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

From common sense? He used a 2nd round pick on him and then ignored the position. How is that wrong? Those are facts. 

If Macc thought Hack was the future he would have taken him in Round 1.  What Maccagnan did was consider the risk/reward profile of a player like Hackenberg who played extremely well his freshman year at Penn State, regressed under a new coach, declared for the Draft and then somewhat impressed coaches at workouts and Pro Days.  The question was whether using a 2nd round pick on a guy with upside but no guarantee of success was worth it for the most important position on a football team?  It was a calculated risk, much like Geno Smith was.  Macc's QB drafts have been horrible up until last year with Darnold.  BUT, I'd fault him more if he wasn't trying to address the position.  Finding a franchise QB isn't easy and when you're desperate you tend to swing at some bad pitches that you wouldn't normally swing at....Hackenberg and Petty were bad pitches.  However, you hit 0% of the pitches that you never swing at.

Ironically, after some bad QB draft picks AND mediocre, veteran "hold the fort" kind of guys like Fitzpatrick and McCown, you could argue that Macc had potentially solved the Jets' QB problem with two guys....Darnold and Teddy Bridgewater.  Teddy still looks like a very good starter to me and he was a great backup plan if... 1) The Jets didn't find a way to move up and draft a QB last year or 2) Darnold didn't look good in training camp or 3) McCown got injured in preseason before the Jets knew they could start Sam Darnold.

Hack is by far Macc's worst draft pick.  It would have been worse if he wasn't trying to aggressively address the position these past few years.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I still think the Browns took Mayfield thinking that the Giants "had" to take Darnold and since the Jets were taking a QB that left the Browns with Barkley at 4.  So the Giants not only screws themselves (Giants brain trust no doubt failed to adjust to Darnold being there) but they screwed the Browns as well.

So......since Darnold should never have been there our trade was dumb and we should have stayed at 6 and gotten the 3rd best QB+our picks.  F'ing Mac (and us fans)  got sooo beyond lucky the way things shook out.  TY GIANTS!!!!!     

There was a lot of talk at the time that the Jets were targeting Mayfield going into the draft, I remember because at first blush I was aghast, so I'm not sure what their thinking was at the time. I can't believe that they ever thought that Darnold would ever possibly fall to them, even at three.  I can't, still to this day,  believe it myself.   Conventional wisdom was that they had Rosen in mind, who knows, but my feeling was that the knew who they didn't want [Jackson, Allen?} and were terrified if they had stayed at six they might get shut out of their two preferred prospects.  There was also a tangible feeling that the Broncos might take a QB at five and had to jump over them too.   This was such an important pick for the franchise, they probably felt that, no matter the cost they couldn't let that happen.  I tend to agree.  Regards.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

If Macc thought Hack was the future he would have taken him in Round 1.  What Maccagnan did was consider the risk/reward profile of a player like Hackenberg who played extremely well his freshman year at Penn State, regressed under a new coach, declared for the Draft and then somewhat impressed coaches at workouts and Pro Days.  The question was whether using a 2nd round pick on a guy with upside but no guarantee of success was worth it for the most important position on a football team?  It was a calculated risk, much like Geno Smith was.  Macc's QB drafts have been horrible up until last year with Darnold.  BUT, I'd fault him more if he wasn't trying to address the position.  Finding a franchise QB isn't easy and when you're desperate you tend to swing at some bad pitches that you wouldn't normally swing at....Hackenberg and Petty were bad pitches.  However, you hit 0% of the pitches that you never swing at.

Ironically, after some bad QB draft picks AND mediocre, veteran "hold the fort" kind of guys like Fitzpatrick and McCown, you could argue that Macc had potentially solved the Jets' QB problem with two guys....Darnold and Teddy Bridgewater.  Teddy still looks like a very good starter to me and he was a great backup plan if... 1) The Jets didn't find a way to move up and draft a QB last year or 2) Darnold didn't look good in training camp or 3) McCown got injured in preseason before the Jets knew they could start Sam Darnold.

Hack is by far Macc's worst draft pick.  It would have been worse if he wasn't trying to aggressively address the position these past few years.

Great post.  Spot-on analysis.  I'm a Penn State fan who was never impressed with Hackenberg, even during an after his first successful year at State.  I felt he was a stiff, robotic, strong armed specimen, who had no feel for the game.  After the coaching change, and imminent fiasco that followed, I was convinced.  I was shocked that he was so highly regarded by the experts, Jon Gruden amongst them, and was then stunned when the conjecture followed that the Jets were interested in him.  Can you believe that some fools graded him out as a first round value?  The nightmare continued as he was chosen by the Jets, in the second round no less, and the pain continued throughout his historically bad Jet's "career".

Archived