Kristaps Porzingas traded to Dallas Mavericks

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:44 PM, Bungaman said:

OK - so the pissing match between Mills/Pery and the Porzing brothers made this trade inevitable, but I am still ticked off. . Why? Because the taint of Dolan and the people who are willing to work for him, and stroke his manhood without question makes them a disfunctional on a par with the DC Foreskins, Clev Browns, et. al.  IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN TO THIS POINT.

What other franchise, time after time, alienates its best players, or demeans them once they're out the door? I read in the last couple of days that the Knucks haven't signed a drafted player to a second contract in 24 years! They either can't wait for them to mature into something useful (Trevor Arizza, one example),  get short term cheap (Jeremy Linn), or display their front office acumen by trading everything young with potential for the shiny object (see Melo.) In this case, Porzingis got four coaches in four years, a churning roster of teammates, and no end to the losing in reasonable sight. No wonder he had his doubts - and for expressing them, got exiled. 

I've been a Knick fan for a looooonng time. As a teen, I got to see the Knick playoff games in the '71 and '72 runs (sandwiched between the two championships,) and weathered the ups and downs knowing that consistent competitiveness and dynasties are a rare thing. (Hats off to teams like the Spurs.) We have a reverse dynasty going - anarchy? - with Dolan and Mills, his mouthpiece (the NBA front office analog of the Browns' Stu Jackson.) I am tired of watching painfully boring basketball, especially the matador defense.

I wonder what free agent (or scout, or front office exec, for that matter) is going to want to come here, knowing what an irrational, reactionary front office clique runs this team, lurching from one extreme to another? The last time I felt some hope was when Donnie Walsh was running the show - but once Dolan interfered with him getting Melo (rather than waiting to get him for nothing as a summer FA,) he walked. Who wants to come here unless they have nowhere else to go, or are just in it for the $$?

The point I'm long windedly truing to make is that the trade had to be done because the team brass once again alienated a good player and made him want to run for the exits - because the only apparent, consistent feature of this franchise is its anarchy - churning through players and coaches alike, year after year after year. They had to get something of value - something. No doubt they'll draft some overachieving circus midgets from Borneo with those first rounders, and sign some chronically injured overweight or overage benchwarmers when top tier FA's figure out this isn't a stop they want to make unless they can end their career here with a pot full of guaranteed money.

If I were one of the top tier FA's, I'd go to the Nets if I wanted to be in NYC. Sad but true IMHO.

I've got no problem with anything you've said except that you fail to acknowledge Porzingas responsibility in this divorce.  He claimed that he wanted to be a leader.  He never was that.  He  demanded Superstar treatment.  He never was that.  He wanted to be a foundational piece of the future. He never was that. I too have been a Knick fan for over 50 years, but if you're expecting a Willis Reed, Walt Frazier or a Dave Debusschere to walk in the door, don't wait.  They don't exist.  Except for a precious few, today's athletes are immature, self-centered, self-serving and egocentric.  So we have to hope that by some chance we can find a few or draft a few who can resemble those great players of days past.  Dolan, Mills and Jackson were/are all Assclowns.  That doesn't quite let Porzingas  off the hook, no more than Carmello, J.R. Smith, Latrelle Sprewell, or any other " Gypsy King" we've had.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/31/2019 at 4:12 PM, TeddEY said:

Why do the Knicks even exist at this point?  Serious question.

To torment me like all my other favorite teams...... Jets, Mets, Rangers, Knick’s.

They keep me humble! Unlike those Boston fans.  Pats, Sox, Bruins, Celtics?

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bungaman said:

No doubt they'll draft some overachieving circus midgets from Borneo with those first rounders, and sign some chronically injured overweight or overage benchwarmers when top tier FA's figure out this isn't a stop they want to make unless they can end their career here with a pot full of guaranteed money.

If I were one of the top tier FA's, I'd go to the Nets if I wanted to be in NYC. Sad but true IMHO.

04B2A6C2-A50D-443B-A929-35E699EADE77.gif.b23a2e2b73cb13d94ece7cc13649fe2b.gif

Edited by 32EBoozer

10 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I've got no problem with anything you've said except that you fail to acknowledge Porzingas responsibility in this divorce.  He claimed that he wanted to be a leader.  He never was that.  He  demanded Superstar treatment.  He never was that.  He wanted to be a foundational piece of the future. He never was that. I too have been a Knick fan for over 50 years, but if you're expecting a Willis Reed, Walt Frazier or a Dave Debusschere to walk in the door, don't wait.  They don't exist.  Except for a precious few, today's athletes are immature, self-centered, self-serving and egocentric.  So we have to hope that by some chance we can find a few or draft a few who can resemble those great players of days past.  Dolan, Mills and Jackson were/are all Assclowns.  That doesn't quite let Porzingas  off the hook, no more than Carmello, J.R. Smith, Latrelle Spreewell, or any other " Gypsy King" we've had.

I've no problem with your comment, either. It's well put - and KP and his family probably think the grass is greener elsewhere. The problems of tall millionaires ....

Those leadership guys grow on trees that are rare. Some guys want to be leaders and don't do very well at delivering. I'm just contending that whatever skills KP and others going through these Garden Gates over time had/has - physical and behavioral - this franchise (which I consider way worse that the Green and White one that frustrates us to no end,) seems to have mishandled just about every aspect of their "development": the players around them, turnover/instability, the coaching carousel, etc. Dolan's and Mills' treatment of ex-players they disagree with is shameful, and their benevolence to others whose only skill is loyalty reminds me of shallow political patronage. 

Maybe Fitz and Perry will do a better job here on out - because this one is on Mills and Jackson, IMHO. It takes time to develop leadership, and sometimes it (more likely) never comes around. But in Knuckleheadlandia, one must remember the guitar playing meddler always lurking in the belfry. I'm just waiting for him to resurrect Isiah Thomas once more out of the crypt for some new nefarious task he's unqualified for - unless it's molesting the players girlfriends/spouses.

FWIW, I miss Anthony Mason, my favorite Knick. Get me a team of him.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I've no problem with your comment, either. It's well put - and KP and his family probably think the grass is greener elsewhere. The problems of tall millionaires ....

Those leadership guys grow on trees that are rare. Some guys want to be leaders and don't do very well at delivering. I'm just contending that whatever skills KP and others going through these Garden Gates over time had/has - physical and behavioral - this franchise (which I consider way worse that the Green and White one that frustrates us to no end,) seems to have mishandled just about every aspect of their "development": the players around them, turnover/instability, the coaching carousel, etc. Dolan's and Mills' treatment of ex-players they disagree with is shameful, and their benevolence to others whose only skill is loyalty reminds me of shallow political patronage. 

Maybe Fitz and Perry will do a better job here on out - because this one is on Mills and Jackson, IMHO. It takes time to develop leadership, and sometimes it (more likely) never comes around. But in Knuckleheadlandia, one must remember the guitar playing meddler always lurking in the belfry. I'm just waiting for him to resurrect Isiah Thomas once more out of the crypt for some new nefarious task he's unqualified for - unless it's molesting the players girlfriends/spouses.

FWIW, I miss Anthony Mason, my favorite Knick. Get me a team of him.

Right there with you.  Forgot to mention the immortal Derek Fischer.  Another beauty.  My favorite was  Debusschere  can still see  him making corner jumpers or faking going baseline and taking it to the hoop.  And Bernard.  Always knew he'd blow his knee out the way he exploded from half court to the hoop.  Incredible. He'd take over a game five minutes at a time.  Listening on the radio all you heard was "Bernard King this and Bernard King that".  That was Marv Albert's best work.   A "Lazarus like" resurrection of Isiah Thomas would be a deal breaker for me.  If that would ever happen  I'd be done.  Barring that I still watch and hope.  Watching full games is difficult, with the endless, one on one play, lack of passing and the famous "matador" defense.  The "refereeing" often forces me to turn it off.  So I go in and out.  Such is the life of a Knick fan these day.  That is why I have little patience  for the antics of  Porzingas, Carmelo and J.R, Smith.  Hated him.  Think we have a couple of pieces.  Knox seems like a good kid and has some upside.  Same with Mr. Robinson.  Projects to be a Tyson Chandler type, except better around the rim.  More athletic. Google the Knicks list of the 25 best centers of all time by "Ranker" You'll get a good laugh. Ranked Cartwright 15th, Kanter 9th, funny. .Also like Mudiay, Trier, useful pieces, moving forward.  So we hang in there.  What's the alternative., Regards.

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2019 at 3:02 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The Knicks didn't either, nor do I at this point in his career, for sure.  As for Zion, I don't think we get him, the "lottery" never seems to go our way.  We're guaranteed to go top four or five anyway so it'll be a good pick.  If they did pick Zion,  {Barrett is supposed to have just as much if not more potential, although he and Smith Jr. are redundant}, I think he would be here in a heartbeat, not that draft picks have much of a choice anyway.

Knicks will be picking 4th again.  Zion will be a bull unless the Lakers miss the playoffs 

• WTF? 1

16 hours ago, Skeptable said:

2 first rounders and got rid of Phil Jackson's screw ups.... You cannot discount that for dallas' 1 year rental on KP

Not defending the trade I think we could have gotten more but what did Kristaps do that was so great here?  We were 23-27 last year before he tore his ACL. Sucked the year before when KP player the entire year. For perspective the Mavericks were 23-27 with Smith Jr in a much tougher conference before the trade

Porzingis is a great talent but he’s a head case p-ssy who doesn’t win and he won’t in Dallas 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Not defending the trade I think we could have gotten more but what did Kristaps do that was so great here?  We were 23-27 last year before he tore his ACL. Sucked the year before when KP player the entire year. For perspective the Mavericks were 23-27 with Smith Jr in a much tougher conference before the trade

Porzingis is a great talent but he’s a head case p-ssy who doesn’t win and he won’t in Dallas 

Uh, you just made the case for why this was a pretty good trade for the Knicks.  Two first rounders, that I think will be no worse than mid-first round pick, plus Dennis Smith Jr. who regardless of what  we think right now , has potential, and we got rid of  Hardaway's untradeable contract.  More, you say?  I  just don't see how.

• Upvote 2

On 2/4/2019 at 1:35 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Uh, you just made the case for why this was a pretty good trade for the Knicks.  Two first rounders, that I think will be no worse than mid-first round pick, plus Dennis Smith Jr. who regardless of what  we think right now , has potential, and we got rid of  Hardaway's untradeable contract.  More, you say?  I  just don't see how.

This trade wasn’t that bad. Porzingis was extremely overrated and supposedly he’s giving Cuban a headache now because he refuses to play until he gets a max extension. 

It hinges on whether the Knicks can get Durant this summer.  Supposedly his business manager is a Knicks fan based in Manhattan and wants a front office role in exchange for Durant signing here 

Give him a job in the front office and part-ownership of MSG if Durant signs here

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

This trade wasn’t that bad. Porzingis was extremely overrated and supposedly he’s giving Cuban a headache now because he refuses to play until he gets a max extension. 

It hinges on whether the Knicks can get Durant this summer.  Supposedly his business manager is a Knicks fan based in Manhattan and wants a front office role in exchange for Durant signing here 

Give him a job in the front office and part-ownership of MSG if Durant signs here

I think he's coming.  Don't want Kyrie though.  He's redundant with Dennis Smith Jr. who I think they'll keep.  Unbelievable the leverage these players have these  days.  40 million and the keys to the kingdom.  It's just ridiculous.  Don't feel sorry for the owners in this instance.  They gave the inmates the permission to run the asylum.  Not sure about Kemba Walker. Little too much tread off of the tires, not sure he's worth a max deal.  Ditto Kawhi Leonard, character issues, and Klay Thompson, age and I don't love his game, outside of the scoring.  I have a problem with the salary structure anyway.  There should be a secondary tier to the "Max" deal.  These other players surely aren't worth max deals but where's the middle ground between the 40 million and "less".  There doesn't seem to be one.  All you hear about is "two max deals".  What do you do when the second player isn't worth the "max money"?  Just pay him?  That seems to be the plan.  Unbelievable.  "Welcome to the NBA".

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Fun fact: After this trade, the two highest paid players on the cap next year are Joakim Noah and Lance Thomas.

Who is also a free agent after the season, and would be able to be re-signed by the Knicks for 2020,  Haha.  Flush another 60 million.  I always wondered what he had on Phil Jackson.  Card game?  Tapes?  Never made any sense, signing this guy.  And for that kind of money?  That contract will always bother me,

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I think he's coming.  Don't want Kyrie though.  He's redundant with Dennis Smith Jr. who I think they'll keep.  Unbelievable the leverage these players have these  days.  40 million and the keys to the kingdom.  It's just ridiculous.  Don't feel sorry for the owners in this instance.  They gave the inmates the permission to run the asylum.  Not sure about Kemba Walker. Little too much tread off of the tires, not sure he's worth a max deal.  Ditto Kawhi Leonard, character issues, and Klay Thompson, age and I don't love his game, outside of the scoring.  I have a problem with the salary structure anyway.  There should be a secondary tier to the "Max" deal.  These other players surely aren't worth max deals but where's the middle ground between the 40 million and "less".  There doesn't seem to be one.  All you hear about is "two max deals".  What do you do when the second player isn't worth the "max money"?  Just pay him?  That seems to be the plan.  Unbelievable.  "Welcome to the NBA".

If Kyrie helps persuade Durant to come here by all friggin means do it 

Also i would take Kawahi and/or Klay in a heartbeat.  Today’s nba is built for a player like Klay he hit some enormous shots in the OKC playoffs series a couple years ago which was last time the warriors were actually tested 

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...