Did the Knicks really just trade Porzingis?

Bruce Harper

14 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Looks like he wanted to be traded. Better to get something than risking a polio pill contact offer I’m free agency which we get screwed. We can afford two max contracts. Pray that a Star is willing to take on the NY challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Phil knew a year and a half ago porzinigis wanted to leave.  He tried to trade him for Kyrie or a package that included Jayson Tatum and a bunch of picks and he got fired for even trying

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

the knicks have won 1 first round playoff series since 2000

in that time the jets have been to the AFCCG twice and won a bunch of playoff games

that doesnt happen by accident...knicks gunna knick

They beat the celtics the year they went to the eastern semi's with carmelo. 2011 or 2012 i believe.

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Phil knew a year and a half ago porzinigis wanted to leave.  He tried to trade him for Kyrie or a package that included Jayson Tatum and a bunch of picks and he got fired for even trying

And the fanbase had a collective meltdown. No one overrates their talent more than Knicks fans. 

Phil actually had a plan. 

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

With a talent like Porz, I wonder how many teams did they talk to before second to trade him to Dallas. Did they even speak to New Orleans?

The report was that they talked to them and they Pelicans had no interest in him. I think the biggest reason they did the deal was bc they were willing to take Hardaway which nobody thought the Knicks could move. Porzingis is also a 7'3" athletic skinny guy coming off a knee surgery who didn't want to be here. If the Knicks can land two max guys and add Zion, Barrett or Morant in the draft they'd immediately be a top 4 team in the East.

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The report was that they talked to them and they Pelicans had no interest in him. I think the biggest reason they did the deal was bc they were willing to take Hardaway which nobody thought the Knicks could move. Porzingis is also a 7'3" athletic skinny guy coming off a knee surgery who didn't want to be here. If the Knicks can land two max guys and add Zion, Barrett or Morant in the draft they'd immediately be a top 4 team in the East.

Porzingis value league wide was never in line with what the knicks fanbase/media thought he was.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

And the fanbase had a collective meltdown. No one overrates their talent more than Knicks fans. 

Preaching to the choir brotha.  I was literally the only person who defended Phil for trying to get maximum value back for Porzingis

Porzingis really embodies the weak fair weather millennial NBA superstar.  The way he would gloat after losing games and act like it was never his fault meanwhile he’d either miss critical shots at the end of games, miss free throws or have bad turnovers

I hope he tears his other knee

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

The other thing is this actually takes the Mavericks out of the Durant sweepstakes 

I’ve been hearing that other than Lakers and Knicks the Mavericks also had a legitimate shot at signing Durant because he’s from Texas and the NBA wanted to team him with Luka

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Who is going to want to come to this team now? Unless they know something about his injury that they are not letting on, this would seem to be rash. Yes, I know its not football but I need to vent.

We already have a thread here where you can do that, but what the heck.... go ahead and vent, LOL.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Yeah, and if I can convince Kate Upton to leave Justin Verlander for me, I'll be the envy of all my friends.

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

With a talent like Porz, I wonder how many teams did they talk to before second to trade him to Dallas. Did they even speak to New Orleans?

They tried to do a KP for AD trade the pelicans rejected it because Porzingis said he would resign there

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/pelicans-news-kristaps-porzingis-wouldnt-have-re-signed-with-new-orleans-if-traded-there/amp/

F7393505-6180-479F-8F57-B32A0E3DFA28.jpeg

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Nice plan.  Kurt Rambis and Jeff Hornacek.  The outdated triangle offense.  Didn't want to scout. Didn't appear to want to work.  Face it, Phil Jackson retired before he took the Knick job.  His plan was only slightly better than the Isiah Thomas plan.  At least it'll be fixable, within a decade.  Hopefully.

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Preaching to the choir brotha.  I was literally the only person who defended Phil for trying to get maximum value back for Porzingis

Porzingis really embodies the weak fair weather millennial NBA superstar.  The way he would gloat after losing games and act like it was never his fault meanwhile he’d either miss critical shots at the end of games, miss free throws or have bad turnovers

I hope he tears his other knee

Now that I've taken a deep breath I'm not as worked up.

If they get Durant and Irving or another max guy, he would not be missed much, but they may need to get Zion in the lottery to attract those guys.

If Porzingis does not come back at full strength from his injury, this is a great trade.  (Two firsts and contract dump is a great yield for an injured guy.)

If he (God forbid) reinjures his ACL or tears his other one this is a great trade.

If, for whatever reason (injury or otherwise) Dallas stinks over then next couple of years, this will be an even better trade as one or more additional lottery picks could not hurt.

I will reserve judgment, I guess.  What choice do I have?  I am too old to root for another team.

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Now that I've taken a deep breath I'm not as worked up.

If they get Durant and Irving or another max guy, he would not be missed much, but they may need to get Zion in the lottery to attract those guys.

If Porzingis does not come back at full strength from his injury, this is a great trade.  (Two firsts and contract dump is a great yield for an injured guy.)

If he (God forbid) reinjures his ACL or tears his other one this is a great trade.

If, for whatever reason (injury or otherwise) Dallas stinks over then next couple of years, this will be an even better trade as one or more additional lottery picks could not hurt.

I will reserve judgment, I guess.  What choice do I have?  I am too old to root for another team.

Another angle no one has talked about is DSJ can be used as trade bait for Kyrie or Kemba in a sign and trade

Get either one of those guys, plus Zion or RJ and the chances of signing a Durant or Kawahi go up exponentially 

Archived