Sign in to follow this  
Jet_Engine1

THE SLEEPER HAS AWAKENED!

Dune is being remade. I don't know how to feel about this. I read the book after seeing the movie and as crazy as the Movie was, I loved it and see the Characters as portrayed. Lynch had a vision for that film that I love, and Jurgen Prochnow IS Duke Leto. But wtf was Sting DOING there? LOL. 

I'm psyched to see this story on a big screen again. Anyone else?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Wish they made it into a miniseries instead

The BBC did a miniseries - anyone see it?

Mmmmm...Seeing all those massive phallic monsters emerging from the sand sounds so...so...HOT!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HessStation said:

Wish they made it into a miniseries instead

Like GOT. Yes. But I always saw Thrones as a Dune rip off, just in a different setting.... Eddard Stark is Duke Leto. Etc. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Like GOT. Yes. But I always saw Thrones as a Dune rip off, just in a different setting.... Eddard Stark is Duke Leto. Etc. 

Exactly. You can’t pack the Dune story into 3 hrs imo

Incredible book ... Tough to make a movie worthy of it

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, peebag said:

The BBC did a miniseries - anyone see it?

Nope 1st I'm hearing about it.

11 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Nope 1st I'm hearing about it.

It was....ok. the costume design and production value was bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It was....ok. the costume design and production value was bad.

Thanks, your word is good enough for me.

The word is that it will be split into 2 films. 

Denis Villenueve is set to direct both movies, and so far the casting sounds....promising for the most part, but I don't quite see Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho (but better than Richard Jordan) , and Chani should be way hotter than Zendaya. But Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck is perfect.

Sometimes I forget how much of a niche community the scifi community actually is. Like, if you surveyed 100 people on the street how many of them could even say they've read anything by Asimov? It's hard for me to fathom Dune being classified as a sleeper but I guess it is due to the popularity of the genre beyond comic book movies. To me it's always been right up with The Three Musketeers or Don Quixote. Even more impactful than LOTR was to fantasy. Dune has always been and will always be king.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:20 PM, HessStation said:

Exactly. You can’t pack the Dune story into 3 hrs imo

You can't fit Dune into any number of reasonable hours proportional to what studios will actually allow. The reason LOTR got that sort of investment by Bezos is because it's an established brand. Nobody knows what the hell Dune even is. We are lucky we're even getting this.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 11:47 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Ripoff is a strong word. Game of Thrones is Dune. Star Wars is Dune. The Matrix is Dune. The New Testament exists because somebody time-traveled back with a copy of Dune. Every incredibly tedious book by Neal Stephenson is Dune.

Not a lot of people know this but a whole lot of Dune is taken directly from the books of Lesley Blanch. Asimov himself admittedly ripped off Edward Gibbon for Foundation. Everything is usually based on something or influenced by something else. Literature, specifically scifi and fantasy, has always been about allegories, world building, and character development. The classics in those two genres that are just repeats from the old serial mags from the 50s and 60s are endless.

• Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sometimes I forget how much of a niche community the scifi community actually is. Like, if you surveyed 100 people on the street how many of them could even say they've read anything by Asimov? It's hard for me to fathom Dune being classified as a sleeper but I guess it is due to the popularity of the genre beyond comic book movies. To me it's always been right up with The Three Musketeers or Don Quixote. Even more impactful than LOTR was to fantasy. Dune has always been and will always be king.

"The Sleeper has awakened" is what Muad'dib shouted after surviving the Water of Life in the 1984 treatment (which I loved, and still do)

Frank Herberts Dune is amazing. Brilliant. Insane. Perfect. Brian Herberts, not so much.

And yes, I will stand by the opinion that GOT is a Dune ripoff. I love GOT, but it hit me early reading Book 1, having read the original Dune books in HS.

Eddard is Leto

Jon Snow is Paul

Being offered Hand of the King in Kings Landing is the granting of the Arrakis Fiefdom

The Iron Bank is the guild.

Maesters are Mentats.

Berric Dondarrion is Duncan Idaho.

The Mountain that rides is the Beast Rabban. 

And so on.

Throw in Tolkien-esque imagery and its exact. 

Lynch's Dune is on BBC right now. So weird. Still love it. I'm glad Jodorowskis Dune never got made. It would have creeped everyone out even worse than Lynch and killed any chance of another....plus, we wouldn't have gotten Alien, Blade Runner, and who knows what other Sci fi.