Is this a normal year in terms of cap space?

Dcronin

Or no? Seems like there are more teams than usual with more than 50 mill in cap space, but maybe it's always like that.

I am happy we have so much space, but sad that so many other teams that players might be excited to play for over ours also have a ton. Mainly the Browns and Colts.

Top 5:

1 Indianapolis Colts               $108,394,436
2 New York Jets               $88,607,857
3 Cleveland Browns               $74,981,965
4 Buffalo Bills               $78,921,877
5 Oakland Raiders               $69,793,031

Let's see, with the chance of living in that exciting Metropolis of Indianapolis Indiana,, or that Crib of Cultural Civilization that is Cleveland Ohio, why would anyone choose to live in Dreary, Old New York.  Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to live in either of those places.  I'm pretty sure there must be some free agents somewhere who feel the same.  If they don't who wants them.  The  time for begging people to come here is over.  Even Presmal knows that.

10 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Let's see, with the chance of living in that exciting Metropolis of Indianapolis Indiana,, or that Crib of Cultural Civilization that is Cleveland Ohio, why would anyone choose to live in Dreary, Old New York.  Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to live in either of those places.  I'm pretty sure there must be some free agents somewhere who feel the same.  If they don't who wants them.  The  time for begging people to come here is over.  Even Presmal knows that.

Very few of these players live in the city where they play. Its a 4 month season, so they'll go where the money is. They want to be living in areas with the warmer climates during the offseason. Even Adams said NY is too cold for him now. We suck, so yeah we gotta beg... LOL

7 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

IMO the biggest benefit to the Jets is that you can live in a really nice area of NJ while still having access to the chaos that is NYC. The issue is the cost of living, signing a contract with the Texans where you will have better year round weather, a culture that revolves around football, cheaper housing and no state income tax IMO is more appealing.

The smarter way for the Jets to approach this is to look at this cap space as basically a second draft and to fill the roster with players who appear to be good second contract investments.  They will all be over paid.  Stars will come through the draft.  

They basically will replicate what they did last year on a larger scale, but hopefully more effective.    They will sign a few big contracts that hopefully work out better than Trumaine, and then sign more Williamson’s, Longs, Beachums and Winters.  The model is obviously Mawae, Woody and Fanaca.  

In the long run, who the Jets draft this year is more important that who they sign.  That is the worry.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

The Jets unlike the Browns have no one good enough to have to pay a fortune to keep right now. The Browns will have players coming up for contracts that will want huge contracts or Franchise tags. 

You know what's good about the Jets? They have no good players! 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

You know what's good about the Jets? They have no good players! 

We don't. The Browns have a bunch & still missed the playoffs and they don't even play in the same division as the Patriots ?.

10 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Cuz of 10% income tax

That's big. 10 mil contract = an extra 1 mil in taxes. 

And everything is overpriced (housing, food...) 

I will never live in NY or NJ again

I don't think many of you realise how much you're getting screwed by living in the Tri state area. Most people probably haven't traveled too far and seen the rest of the country or have tried living elsewhere

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

IMO the biggest benefit to the Jets is that you can live in a really nice area of NJ while still having access to the chaos that is NYC. The issue is the cost of living, signing a contract with the Texans where you will have better year round weather, a culture that revolves around football, cheaper housing and no state income tax IMO is more appealing.

And believe it or not, most people would rather not be anywhere near the chaos that is NYC or even NJ.

20 minutes ago, peebag said:

Yet a lot of people on this board expect the playoffs next year.

A GM who has no mandate to make the playoffs after 5 years.

Unbelievable that macs job is so secure with the massive holes in this team after 4 full drafts and fa periods

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

The Jets unlike the Browns have no one good enough to have to pay a fortune to keep right now. The Browns will have players coming up for contracts that will want huge contracts or Franchise tags. 

So why would anyone choose us over them? Going by the above logic anyway.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

We don't. The Browns have a bunch & still missed the playoffs and they don't even play in the same division as the Patriots ?.

One could argue that if they started Mayfield from the beginning they might have made the playoffs. They went 8-7-1. We went 4-12. Who would you sign with if the money was equal?

dum dums who complain about the Jets using cap space on "the wrong players" neglect to realize it went up 10 mil every year since the CBA was signed 

no team is in real cap hell, and the way the contracts are built they can move around money and spendmore

the Jets aren't limited by cap space in any way. they need to spend to the cap like other teams, if they want to have a chance.  More and better just making it over the floor and paying josh mccown 10 mil to coach isn't cutting it 

2 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Cuz of 10% income tax

I don't think many of you realise how much you're getting screwed by living in the Tri state area. Most people probably haven't traveled too far and seen the rest of the country or have tried living elsewhere

I do.  And it makes me angry every day.  It too, will drive me one day from the state where I have grown up and lived my whole life.   I love New York {and the tri-state area},  the culture, the landscape, my teams, and most of all, the people.  Yes I said it.  It is a shame.  Can't talk politics here, so I won't go there.  But yeah,  I get it.  We all do. Makes it hard to sit sometimes.

6 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I do.  And it makes me angry every day.  It too, will drive me one day from the state where I have grown up and lived my whole life.   I love New York {and the tri-state area},  the culture, the landscape, my teams, and most of all, the people.  Yes I said it.  It is a shame.  Can't talk politics here, so I won't go there.  But yeah,  I get it.  We all do.

just wondering about the tax aspect, I think the players pay state tax based on their home game location

so they would pay NJ income tax on 8 regular season games but the game in Miami is not taxed I could be wrong about this but I think that's how the NBA works

truly there is a difference between 8 games in NJ and 8 games in Miami but it's not huge

the bigger barrier to luring free agents and coaches is the fact most good football happens in the West, Midwest and South and many people don't want to move their families to the Northeast, unless their wives are somehow from there or they have no other option.  

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

just wondering about the tax aspect, I think the players pay state tax based on their home game location

so they would pay NJ income tax on 8 regular season games but the game in Miami is not taxed I could be wrong about this but I think that's how the NBA works

truly there is a difference between 8 games in NJ and 8 games in Miami but it's not huge

the bigger barrier to luring free agents and coaches is the fact most good football happens in the West, Midwest and South and many people don't want to move their families to the Northeast, unless their wives are somehow from there or they have no other option.  

Another "Conundrum", looks like you're getting surrounded.  Love that word, too bad it makes your  head hurt.  There has to be an Income tax related to it also.  Good point, makes me curious.

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I know this is hard to believe, but New York really isn't the center of the universe, and isn't a particularly great place to live. High taxes, high cost of living, a winter that can be as bad as Indy or Cleveland, overcrowded.....and lets be honest, since Namath left, I doubt many players have lived in Manhattan anyway. Most players live in New Jersey in up scale suburbia....and that kind of living can be found pretty much everywhere if you have money. I'm from Queens. Meh. People I knew when that stayed there act like Rockaway Beach is the best place evah! Its OK. Insular and xenophobic and ridiculously overpriced. 

On the flip side, I've neen in Indianapolis. Cool, fun small city. Plenty to do, good restaurants and bars, not crazy gridlocked and easily accessible from affluent Suburbs. Cleveland? I know nothing about it really, but people act like wealthy people live in the blighted areas from the old "Cleveland Tourism Videos". Its like Detroit I'm guessing....get out of "bad Detroit" and Michigan is beautiful. Seriously. Hell, Jacksonville itself is a sh*thole, but there are seriously nice upscale suburbs, great weather and a nice beach. Jax beach is cool. And FL has no state tax....

But anyway until the Jets can build a winner, with NY/NJ taxes Its a harder sell. And lets not pretend NY is some kind of Utopia that everyone is fighting to live in. LOL.

13 hours ago, Dcronin said:

Or no? Seems like there are more teams than usual with more than 50 mill in cap space, but maybe it's always like that.

I am happy we have so much space, but sad that so many other teams that players might be excited to play for over ours also have a ton. Mainly the Browns and Colts.

Top 5:

1 Indianapolis Colts               $108,394,436
2 New York Jets               $88,607,857
3 Cleveland Browns               $74,981,965
4 Buffalo Bills               $78,921,877
5 Oakland Raiders               $69,793,031

i don't think you need to look at the dollar amounts but how much of a percentage of the salary cap these figures represent.  it's probably not too unusual to have 5 teams with over 30% of salary cap space.  both the colts and browns are sitting prettier than the jets because they have more complete foundations to add to.  hard to say about oakland.  carr had a good season but gruden apparently isn't that happy with him at qb.  the bills are still a mess.

57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is correct. They pay NJ taxes on their 8 homes games and the state income tax for their 8 road games of the local stadium.

It matters but not nearly as much as some people try to make out. I honestly think the cost of living is a bigger difference.

35 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I know this is hard to believe, but New York really isn't the center of the universe, and isn't a particularly great place to live. High taxes, high cost of living, a winter that can be as bad as Indy or Cleveland, overcrowded.....and lets be honest, since Namath left, I doubt many players have lived in Manhattan anyway. Most players live in New Jersey in up scale suburbia....and that kind of living can be found pretty much everywhere if you have money. I'm from Queens. Meh. People I knew when that stayed there act like Rockaway Beach is the best place evah! Its OK. Insular and xenophobic and ridiculously overpriced. 

On the flip side, I've neen in Indianapolis. Cool, fun small city. Plenty to do, good restaurants and bars, not crazy gridlocked and easily accessible from affluent Suburbs. Cleveland? I know nothing about it really, but people act like wealthy people live in the blighted areas from the old "Cleveland Tourism Videos". Its like Detroit I'm guessing....get out of "bad Detroit" and Michigan is beautiful. Seriously. Hell, Jacksonville itself is a sh*thole, but there are seriously nice upscale suburbs, great weather and a nice beach. Jax beach is cool. And FL has no state tax....

But anyway until the Jets can build a winner, with NY/NJ taxes Its a harder sell. And lets not pretend NY is some kind of Utopia that everyone is fighting to live in. LOL.

I get it.  I wasn't talking specifically about living in Manhattan.  Outside of Clyde, Messier, Piazza, and Namath, I know few of them live there.  It's hard for families.  You fail to mention the "Pod People" from all of those places.  Spent some time in Chicago.  Major city.  Not New York.  It's the people.  If you are a "New Yorker", as I know you are, you understand that.  For all of our braggadocio, intenseness, fast paced hard- assed  lunacy, there's a specialness  about New Yorker's that you find nowhere else.  Things that you see on 9/11, or after a parade down the "Canyon of Heroes" or New Years Eve in Times Square. Or even just waiting on the longest freaking line in the world waiting for a restaurant or concert tickets.  Or wandering around Bryant Park with the tourists, natives and nuts all in one space at the same time.  There's a reason why when we have disasters, or celebrate championships there is no looting, or car burning or violence.  It is because we "get it".  That's the difference.  That's what I love. That's who we are.

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is correct. They pay NJ taxes on their 8 homes games and the state income tax for their 8 road games of the local stadium.

It matters but not nearly as much as some people try to make out. I honestly think the cost of living is a bigger difference.

cost of living is higher in SF than in Manhattan it doesn't hurt their ability to lure FA. 

also it feels like players have no problem playing for the Giants.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

cost of living is higher in SF than in Manhattan it doesn't hurt their ability to lure FA. 

also it feels like players have no problem playing for the Giants.

I don't think any teams really have a hard time luring free agents. If the Jets offer the most money they'll get the guy 9 times out of 10.

3 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Cuz of 10% income tax

There are other states with high income taxes. This was discussed when Cousins chose Minnesota, except Minnesota has higher marginal state income taxes than NY. California even higher still. Also if you hate NY winters Minnesota sure isn't better.

Plus it's nice for those of moderate incomes to get more for their money in the middle of nowhere, but the guys signing these giant FA contracts aren't as worried as you are about how much a burger costs in a diner (nor whether a steakhouse charges $50 for their entree instead of half that); it's a meaningless difference for them.

Further, a huge percentage of them are single and the NY night life is an attraction. Believe it or not, people do come here from all over the country - all over the world - for vacations. 

Others are from around here, so they don't see the NYMA (or tristate area) as the cesspool others do. 

It's true most people haven't seen most of the country, but a still-fewer percentage have had 8-figure per year salaries in their mid-late 20s. For them, they have infinity dollars. Infinity minus 100 is still infinity. 

16 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Players will choose in the order of money -> team -> location 99% of the time. The idea that location plays anything more than a tertiary role at best is silly.

8 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Cuz of 10% income tax

This is nuts. NY is the city that gave me my life. There is no place in the US that compares to the dazzling variety of people, food and opportunities that NY offers. It is the ultimate American experiment, the great metropolis. I live in LA and love it but miss NY every day.

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

This is nuts. NY is the city that gave me my life. There is no place in the US that compares to the dazzling variety of people, food and opportunities that NY offers. It is the ultimate American experiment, the great metropolis. I live in LA and love it but miss NY every day.

Still doesn't change the fact that you lose 10% of your salary living there and the cost of living is one of the highest in the country. 

Also you're comparing NY to California. The only place worse to live than NY or NJ, financially, is California. 

We've had cap space forever. It honestly could care less about cap space until Macc shows he's competent enough to use it tohelp make the team a contender. You consider 2009-2010. The Jets actually signed veteran free agents in an intelligent way. Jenkins, Tomlinson, etc. I don't see Macc doing that at all.  

On 2/1/2019 at 5:52 PM, Dcronin said:

Cool story, but very few players actually factor that in to their decision of where to play. 

A bad city can be a detriment to signing free agents....take Buffalo for instance....but its very rarely an INCENTIVE to sign somewhere.  Money, team's chances of contending, and role/fit are all far more important than saying "I get to play in X city". 

Archived