Greedy Williams CB LSU

k-met57

lets all get over the fact that we need offense in the draft....its obviously true....but its going to be hard to trade down and taking a RT/OG at 3 is a bit of a reach.

anyways....

Claiborne was a penalty machine last year and a FA, so is Skrine, and we paid a ton of Trumaine....

so arguments for Greedy....

1. premium position of NEED

2. big time player, projected as a better player overall then Ward was last year

3. big money invested in CB already

4. LSU/Jamal connection

i wouldnt be mad...you?

Definitely a position of need, but I've seen mixed reviews on Williams and I've seen several people call him overrated.  It's tough for guys like us to really scout CB play, as we can't really get a full view at the top of the route.  For now I have him in the group of guys I'd be fine with if we were able to trade down to 7ish, along with Ferrel, Rashan Gary, Jonah Williams, etc, but I'll leave it up to the guys with the All-22.

Just now, Beerfish said:

No fing way, no , no no.

Another position we have put tons of resources into. 

Also his ranking is certainly not universal.   Daniel Jeremiah has him rated 34th in his top 50 and has 2 cbs ahead of him.

Agreed.  Murphy and Baker are both better IMO.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Hell no.  You say it would be a reach to take one of these O linemen, but then come back and say draft Greedy Williams at 3?  If you’re going to “reach” then reach for a bigger need.  Greedy at 3 would be an unmitigated disaster.  

I take it your not a fan? lol

Curious though why you feel this way?

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I take it your not a fan? lol

Curious though why you feel this way?

At 3?  No way.  He’s OK, nothing spectacular though.  He was bad in run support, bad at tackling he’s just not a top 10 pick in any draft.   Byron Murphy is the better all around corner IMO, and I wouldn’t touch him in the top 10 either.  

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

At 3?  No way.  He’s OK, nothing spectacular though.  He was bad in run support, bad at tackling he’s just not a top 10 pick in any draft.   Byron Murphy is the better all around corner IMO, and I wouldn’t touch him in the top 10 either.  

Word. I think he's got some serious talent.  I just think he cashed it in after he knew he was going to be a 1st round pick.  He's not flawless for sure but I think he lock dudes down when he wants too. 

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No fing way, no , no no.

Also his ranking is certainly not universal.   Daniel Jeremiah has him rated 34th in his top 50 and has 3 cbs ahead of him.

Daniel Jeremiah also has the underwelming DT from Michigan 4th, and a backup RB from Alabama 6th....literally every draft outlet has Greedy as a top 5 to 7 talent in this draft.

He is 5 on Kepers big board BTW

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Word. I think he's got some serious talent.  I just think he cashed it in after he knew he was going to be a 1st round pick.  He's not flawless for sure but I think he lock dudes down when he wants too. 

I just can’t get on board taking a CB at 3 this year.  Especially with all the mid-level FA corners that will be available in March.  

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I just can’t get on board taking a CB at 3 this year.  Especially with all the mid-level FA corners that will be available in March.  

I would be nervous about taking a CB at 3 who isnt the complete package, for sure but I'm not against selecting any premium position at #3.  There isnt a single position on the team that couldnt be upgraded right now and if we take another DT or a RT at #3, I'll ******* explode.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would be nervous about taking a CB at 3 who isnt the complete package, for sure but I'm not against selecting any premium position at #3.  There isnt a single position on the team that couldnt be upgraded right now and if we take another DT or a RT at #3, I'll ******* explode.

Have the towels ready

I’m probably more of a fan of Greedy than some here, but not at 3, and really, not for the Jets, period... this 1st pick is about making an impact on the roster. That’s not a CB for NY

And although we haven’t talked about it much, this draft features strong depth at DB. I’ve been compiling a list of some of my favourites

5 hours ago, k-met57 said:

lets all get over the fact that we need offense in the draft....its obviously true....but its going to be hard to trade down and taking a RT/OG at 3 is a bit of a reach.

anyways....

Claiborne was a penalty machine last year and a FA, so is Skrine, and we paid a ton of Trumaine....

so arguments for Greedy....

1. premium position of NEED

2. big time player, projected as a better player overall then Ward was last year

3. big money invested in CB already

4. LSU/Jamal connection

i wouldnt be mad...you?

the best CB in the world cannot cover for 4 seconds.  The name of the game is get the passer

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No fing way, no , no no.

Also his ranking is certainly not universal.   Daniel Jeremiah has him rated 34th in his top 50 and has 3 cbs ahead of him.

a great pass rush can make an average corner good.  A great corner with a weak pass rush is average at best.

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

My prediction: Macc lucks out again and has Bosa fall into his lap at #3.

I can absolutely see it happening.

Especially with guys like Allen and Gary picking up momentum.

So when are we starting unfounded drug rumors about Bosa to get him to drop? Are any of you good at photoshop so we can show Bosa taking bong hits with a gas mask (which is fun TBH) ala Laremy Tunsil?

18 hours ago, jack48 said:

a great pass rush can make an average corner good.  A great corner with a weak pass rush is average at best.

when did the jets ever have a GREAT pass rush when we had Revis and Cro? this is such simplistic thinking.

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

I’m probably more of a fan of Greedy than some here, but not at 3, and really, not for the Jets, period... this 1st pick is about making an impact on the roster. That’s not a CB for NY

And although we haven’t talked about it much, this draft features strong depth at DB. I’ve been compiling a list of some of my favourites

It has some serious talent this year. Byron Murphy and Trayvon Mullen to name a couple.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It has some serious talent this year. Byron Murphy and Trayvon Mullen to name a couple.

I totally respect your talent evaluation, as well as many other guys on this board. You guys really follow the players, watch film,etc. I have gotten to a point with corners in general as not being worth an investment higher than like the 4th or 5th round. Watch the games, and the league has basically neutered them. Even the supposed "best " guys get toasted on a weekly basis. I would look for a guy who is a good tackler, because every receiver gets open, you just have to limit the damage after the catch. Get me pass rushers, plz.?

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

I totally respect your talent evaluation, as well as many other guys on this board. You guys really follow the players, watch film,etc. I have gotten to a point with corners in general as not being worth an investment higher than like the 4th or 5th round. Watch the games, and the league has basically neutered them. Even the supposed "best " guys get toasted on a weekly basis. I would look for a guy who is a good tackler, because every receiver gets open, you just have to limit the damage after the catch. Get me pass rushers, plz.?

Check out Trayvon Mullen when you get a chance. He’s the corner for Clemson and was in charge of handling Jerry Jeudy all game. Very sure tackler and had a outstanding championship game.

“Mullen is a long and physical corner that functions best in press and zone coverage. It’s those techniques where his physicality, length and ability to read the backfield are accentuated. Mullen plays up to his frame in terms of play strength and assertiveness as a tackler and in coverage. He flashes moments of outstanding ball skills and his long arms allow for recovery and margin of error.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independentmail.com/amp/2465601002

I usually hate highlight videos and only look at actual game film but this is just a quick look at him when he’s at his best. He’ll most likely go 1st-2nd. I think CB is still pretty important, I wouldn’t take one with the #3 pick.. ever!! For an outstanding elite blue chip corner, I probably would in the 8-12 range.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Check out Trayvon Mullen when you get a chance. He’s the corner for Clemson and was in charge of handling Jerry Jeudy all game. Very sure tackler and had a outstanding championship game.

“Mullen is a long and physical corner that functions best in press and zone coverage. It’s those techniques where his physicality, length and ability to read the backfield are accentuated. Mullen plays up to his frame in terms of play strength and assertiveness as a tackler and in coverage. He flashes moments of outstanding ball skills and his long arms allow for recovery and margin of error.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independentmail.com/amp/2465601002

I usually hate highlight videos and only look at actual game film but this is just a quick look at him when he’s at his best. He’ll most likely go 1st-2nd. I think CB is still pretty important, I wouldn’t take one with the #3 pick.. ever!! For an outstanding elite blue chip corner, I probably would in the 8-12 range.

Yes...he had a great game. College seems to be much more lenient, though, in how they let the defense play vs the NFL. You see some of the hits on QB's in college, and it's "play on," where in the NFL it's an automatic 15. These kids come into the NFL and they basically have to learn to play a new sport.

24 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yes...he had a great game. College seems to be much more lenient, though, in how they let the defense play vs the NFL. You see some of the hits on QB's in college, and it's "play on," where in the NFL it's an automatic 15. These kids come into the NFL and they basically have to learn to play a new sport.

The biggest difference in evaluating corners in college is that they can keep their hands on the receivers until the ball is in the air, whereas in the pros you can only touch the receiver within 5 yards.  It’s the biggest adjustment these kids need to make.  

As far as Mullen goes, he’s a long press corner.   He’s really grabby though and will need to do some serious technique improvement when he jumps to the NFL.  

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The biggest difference in evaluating corners in college is that they can keep their hands on the receivers until the ball is in the air, whereas in the pros you can only touch the receiver within 5 yards.  It’s the biggest adjustment these kids need to make.  

As far as Mullen goes, he’s a long press corner.   He’s really grabby though and will need to do some serious technique improvement when he jumps to the NFL.  

Sounds like Derrick Jones. Haven't given up on him. Im sure Gregg Williams will be looking at alot of film on him and Nickerson.

1 hour ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Same was true with Seattle.  Great DBs and mediocre DL made for a great defense.

And even if draft Greedy and he turns out to be better than Revis we still have a terrible defense

And Seattle had Michael Bennett on their D-line

Archived