Justin Houston- Cap casualty?

JoJoTownsell1

Chief's Beat Writer Nate Taylor believes that Justin Houston will be a cap casualty. He's not the same guy that once managed 22 sacks in 1 season, but he is a very solid edge rusher. 

From Rotoworld:

The Athletic's Nate Taylor believes there's a good chance the Chiefs release OLB Justin Houston this offseason.

Houston just turned 30 last month and has two years left on his contract. He's due to count a team-high $21.1 million against the cap in 2019. It's doable for the Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes on a rookie contract, but Houston's play has slipped in recent years from superstar status to above-average pass rusher. Injuries have played a part. Fellow OLB Dee Ford is also set for free agency this year, but the Chiefs have reportedly considered the franchise tag for him.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Don’t know if he’d command what you think he will.

One of the few things I have faith in is Macs ability to structure contracts. If they signed Houston and a 2nd edge guy this off season (wouldn't want him go be THE guy), I believe it'll be on a contact that will be easy to get out of. 

19 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

One of the few things I have faith in is Macs ability to structure contracts. If they signed Houston and a 2nd edge guy this off season (wouldn't want him go be THE guy), I believe it'll be on a contact that will be easy to get out of. 

Based on what? What examples of being demonstrably better than other teams in contract structures are there?

What he does (without one exception I can think of) is extend players too late to get the best deal possible for the team. He waits until the players are holding all the cards after he previously held them and gave them up.  

Only having a year or two guaranteed on most contracts is no great feat. Everyone does it. Only the elite of the elite paid players (and mostly QBs at that) get >2 years. When he's signed them in the past (e.g. Revis, Mo, Tru Johnson) he guaranteed >2 years to all of them. 

It's maddening how many people believe this comparatively baseless myth. It's equivalent to crediting him for the wonderful way he breathes air -- in and out, which is very efficient; prolly everyone else does in-in-out or out-in-out-out-out-in, so he's much better.

Houston isn't getting 3 years guaranteed from anybody. If we sign him it's because it's the most offered to him - the most guaranteed money offered to him - by any team.

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There is almost zero young, good, low mileage FAs so as a team you better be willing to swallow, age, character issues, mileage etc.  When everyone was blathering about all of our cap money this past year it is going to go to guys with questions.

Yeah it’s not like a 23 year old Myles Garrett is available in free agency unrestricted 

Julius Peppers played 17 years.  Ditto for guys like Clay Matthews and Strahan.  Sometimes you have to sign older players 

53 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He was pretty bad this year . Might be washed 

I didn't watch Kansas City a ton this year, but PFF gave Houston an 85.7 grade for the season. That would have been the second highest grade on the Jet's defense behind President Mal. 

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Only way in hell a team is able to build a winning product from the draft alone is you need to hit on every draft pick something that will never happen. 

Now that the Jets have a QB, they need to do everything they can to win now. 

13 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

When you're getting 15-20 million a year and play like he did, it looks like a bad year. But the reality is that he probably just needs a change of scenery. My only question is how he would fit in a 4-3 defense. 

Well he got injured and missed all of 4 games and more than 3/4 of a 5th game.

He had 9 sacks, 5 FFs, 4 FRs and an INT in the 11 games he was on the field. 

Other than the injury, by what other measure did he have a bad year? I fully admit I don't watch every KC game to specifically focus on Houston through defensive snap, so I'm curious what made you think he had a "bad year" last year. 

What's disturbing is, for as experienced as Gregg Williams is, the theme seems to be we have to find players who specifically fit into a narrow scheme fit, which suggests he's not flexible and forces players into a scheme come hell or high water, rather than adapting his scheme to the talent he has (and the talent available). Because if that's the case with GW then I agree with you: you don't acquire a special player for huge FA dollars or very high in the draft, and then don't play him at the position that made him so special in the first place.

Does he tend to disappear when he's had a hand in the dirt, nose-to-nose with a long-armed, athletic LT who outweighs him by 50 lbs? I honestly don't know. Just because they're serving similar goal-functions for the D (go get the QB on passing downs lol) doesn't mean the standing-upright view and the extra yards of space, often directly lining up against nobody from a wider edge, made no impact on his pass-rushing productivity. 

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What's disturbing is, for as experienced as Gregg Williams is, the theme seems to be we have to find players who specifically fit into a narrow scheme fit, which suggests he's not flexible and forces players into a scheme come hell or high water, rather than adapting his scheme to the talent he has 

This is just posters assuming. GW already said that he will fit his scheme to the talent we have.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Literally every coach and coordinator says that. "We're going to put guys in the best positions to succeed."

Saying and doing aren't the same thing.

Okay, agreed, but he does run multiple formations and 3-4 is one of them. Just letting you know it’s not so far out of the realm of possibility.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:46 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Okay, agreed, but he does run multiple formations and 3-4 is one of them. Just letting you know it’s not so far out of the realm of possibility.

We'll see in due time, of course. Mangini also had the Jets showing 4-man fronts now & then. That doesn't change that he was rigid in his preference. DRob was a NT ffs. 

Archived