MetLife Stadium stinks and the latest Super Bowl venues will make it look even worse

joewilly12

MetLife Stadium stinks and the latest Super Bowl venues will make it look even worse | Politi

Updated 7:20 AM; Posted 7:08 AM
STF
Mercedes-Benz Stadium, site of Super Bowl LIII, is just the latest NFL venue that puts MetLife Stadium to shame. (Matt Rourke)

ATLANTA -- The Rams do not have a place for the Lombardi Trophy -- yet. But, if they do win Super Bowl LIII, rest assured that they will build the most fabulous trophy case anyone has ever seen.

The team offered a virtual reality tour of the stadium under construction in Los Angeles on Thursday, and you didn’t need to put on the goggles to know this: The place is going to be insane. It is a 70,000-seat venue that is sunk into the ground with a clear roof but no walls and a futuristic, dual-sided video board called the “Oculus” that hangs above the entire field.

I can’t even begin to describe it. Look at the photos.

“It is basically a 22-acre patio,” Rams CEO Kevin Demoff told me. This palace will not only be the home to the Rams and the Chargers starting in 2020, but will be the centerpiece of an entertainment complex that is three and a half times the size of Disneyland that will remake a corner of the city.

The franchise wanted the “wow” factor that fits in with the glitzy of its city -- and not just from the ground, either. “It needed to be an iconic structure from the air,” Demoff said. “You have 100 million people flying over this building a year coming or going to LAX. We wanted people to be able to look down and see it for the architectural grandeur that it is.”

If you are a Giants or a Jets fan and starting to get little jealous, well, get used to it. That new showplace will host the Super Bowl in 2021, just the latest in a long line of new venues that have put MetLife Stadium -- our East Rutherford albatross -- to shame.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the retractable-roofed site of this year’s Super Bowl, is a fantastic venue. So is U.S. Bank stadium, the viking-ship-shaped dome in Minneapolis that hosted the big game last year. I’m not sure MetLife would have cracked the list of the top-10 best stadiums in the NFL even when it opened, but it is steadily falling as teams around the league open eye-popping new venues.

MetLife? More like MehLife.

This is not just my opinion, either. I posted a simple Twitter poll on Thursday, asking Giants and Jets fans if they liked the place their teams call home. The overwhelming response and vitriolic comments that followed didn’t surprise me.

Eight-three percent of the more than 3,500 voters answered “no.” One fan called it “a giant, overpriced tin can.” Another said it was “more like a warehouse than a stadium.” Fans called it a “lifeless concrete-colored donut” that “looks like an air conditioner” or a “prison toilet.”

And those were the polite responses.

Look, we all know what happened. The Jets wanted their own stadium in Manhattan, and when that dream fell apart, they joined the Giants on a partnership with the two teams disagreeing on just about everything outside of the need to have seats. The result is a gray $1.6 billion monstrosity with no personality that made no one happy besides the teams' accountants.

And, as one fan tweeted, "We’re stuck with that thing for another 40 years.”

I’ve been to 23 of the current NFL stadiums. Outside of the outdated venues in Buffalo and Miami, most of them have some defining characteristic. The new buildings in Atlanta, Minnesota and (soon) Los Angeles are every bit a part of the attraction of seeing an event.

One of the greatest mysteries of life: How did AT&T Stadium, the massive football wonderland that Jerry Jones built in Dallas, cost $400 million less to build than MetLife?

“You walk into (MetLife) Stadium and have no idea the Jets/Giants play there,” a fan named Jason Abrams wrote on Twitter. “No promotion of team history, iconic players in the franchise, etc. It’s just a very cold stadium. Also, compared to other places, food options are generic and repetitive.”

That’s really the shame of MetLife Stadium. The struggle to make sure it didn’t favor one team made its blandness the defining characteristic. Maybe, if you never step foot in another building, you won’t notice what we’re missing in New Jersey.

But the moment you see the venues in other cities -- the ones that just opened and the ones that will open soon -- it’s kind of depressing.

“We wanted a uniquely Los Angeles building,” Demoff said. “You start with the fact that it is the world’s first indoor/outdoor stadium. We wanted to have weather protection so we could host every event under the sun, not only Super Bowls but the Grammys, the Academy Awards, concerts, everything you can imagine.”

Los Angeles is going to have a stadium that is going to blow people away, just like the folks in Atlanta and Minnesota already do. For $1.6 billion, New Jersey has -- and, yes, I’m stealing this -- a lifeless concrete-colored donut.

When the cameras scan the venues at the upcoming Super Bowls, get ready to be jealous.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I've said this for years 2 NFL teams 20 home games a season counting pre-season and this is the best they could do?  

MetLife should have been the TAJ-MAHAL MECCA of stadiums in the NFL. 

Doesn’t Met life look like a set from the Aliens movies from outside?

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

MetLife Stadium stinks and the latest Super Bowl venues will make it look even worse | Politi

Updated 7:20 AM; Posted 7:08 AM
STF

Mercedes-Benz Stadium, site of Super Bowl LIII, is just the latest NFL venue that puts MetLife Stadium to shame. (Matt Rourke)

ATLANTA -- The Rams do not have a place for the Lombardi Trophy -- yet. But, if they do win Super Bowl LIII, rest assured that they will build the most fabulous trophy case anyone has ever seen.

The team offered a virtual reality tour of the stadium under construction in Los Angeles on Thursday, and you didn’t need to put on the goggles to know this: The place is going to be insane. It is a 70,000-seat venue that is sunk into the ground with a clear roof but no walls and a futuristic, dual-sided video board called the “Oculus” that hangs above the entire field.

I can’t even begin to describe it. Look at the photos.

“It is basically a 22-acre patio,” Rams CEO Kevin Demoff told me. This palace will not only be the home to the Rams and the Chargers starting in 2020, but will be the centerpiece of an entertainment complex that is three and a half times the size of Disneyland that will remake a corner of the city.

The franchise wanted the “wow” factor that fits in with the glitzy of its city -- and not just from the ground, either. “It needed to be an iconic structure from the air,” Demoff said. “You have 100 million people flying over this building a year coming or going to LAX. We wanted people to be able to look down and see it for the architectural grandeur that it is.”

If you are a Giants or a Jets fan and starting to get little jealous, well, get used to it. That new showplace will host the Super Bowl in 2021, just the latest in a long line of new venues that have put MetLife Stadium -- our East Rutherford albatross -- to shame.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the retractable-roofed site of this year’s Super Bowl, is a fantastic venue. So is U.S. Bank stadium, the viking-ship-shaped dome in Minneapolis that hosted the big game last year. I’m not sure MetLife would have cracked the list of the top-10 best stadiums in the NFL even when it opened, but it is steadily falling as teams around the league open eye-popping new venues.

MetLife? More like MehLife.

This is not just my opinion, either. I posted a simple Twitter poll on Thursday, asking Giants and Jets fans if they liked the place their teams call home. The overwhelming response and vitriolic comments that followed didn’t surprise me.

Eight-three percent of the more than 3,500 voters answered “no.” One fan called it “a giant, overpriced tin can.” Another said it was “more like a warehouse than a stadium.” Fans called it a “lifeless concrete-colored donut” that “looks like an air conditioner” or a “prison toilet.”

And those were the polite responses.

Look, we all know what happened. The Jets wanted their own stadium in Manhattan, and when that dream fell apart, they joined the Giants on a partnership with the two teams disagreeing on just about everything outside of the need to have seats. The result is a gray $1.6 billion monstrosity with no personality that made no one happy besides the teams' accountants.

And, as one fan tweeted, "We’re stuck with that thing for another 40 years.”

I’ve been to 23 of the current NFL stadiums. Outside of the outdated venues in Buffalo and Miami, most of them have some defining characteristic. The new buildings in Atlanta, Minnesota and (soon) Los Angeles are every bit a part of the attraction of seeing an event.

One of the greatest mysteries of life: How did AT&T Stadium, the massive football wonderland that Jerry Jones built in Dallas, cost $400 million less to build than MetLife?

“You walk into (MetLife) Stadium and have no idea the Jets/Giants play there,” a fan named Jason Abrams wrote on Twitter. “No promotion of team history, iconic players in the franchise, etc. It’s just a very cold stadium. Also, compared to other places, food options are generic and repetitive.”

That’s really the shame of MetLife Stadium. The struggle to make sure it didn’t favor one team made its blandness the defining characteristic. Maybe, if you never step foot in another building, you won’t notice what we’re missing in New Jersey.

But the moment you see the venues in other cities -- the ones that just opened and the ones that will open soon -- it’s kind of depressing.

“We wanted a uniquely Los Angeles building,” Demoff said. “You start with the fact that it is the world’s first indoor/outdoor stadium. We wanted to have weather protection so we could host every event under the sun, not only Super Bowls but the Grammys, the Academy Awards, concerts, everything you can imagine.”

Los Angeles is going to have a stadium that is going to blow people away, just like the folks in Atlanta and Minnesota already do. For $1.6 billion, New Jersey has -- and, yes, I’m stealing this -- a lifeless concrete-colored donut.

When the cameras scan the venues at the upcoming Super Bowls, get ready to be jealous.

Tony, Vito, and Vitaly had to be paid off......  "Yo! Unionz ah da best, Capisce?  Dem peeples down sout all sount so stoopit, right?"

Can a half roof on either side and then a retractable middle be installed on Metlfe? Can the stadium be improved because he past 2 stadiums the Jets played at at least had character. This stadium has no character. Nothing. Something needs to be done. 

40 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

To be fair to Woody he wanted a retractable roof.  The c0cksucking glorified Maras vetoed it 

EFF Woody. The Jets belong in NY, There was no reason, except for greed that we didn't stay in Queens. People here complain about so many things the Johnson's have done since they bought this franchise. You'll never see me do that here, because I've had no use for him ever since he allowed us to become tenants at Giants Fing Stadium. I don't even like typing the last name. From the moment I parked in the lot for the first game in NJ, I never felt the same about going to the games.

I kept my tickets for years, but found myself going less and less. When I finally gave them up the year before the PSL's, I've never once regretted anything except seeing the fans I'd become friendly with over the years. Funny thing is, most of them have since given up their tickets also.  Maybe its just that I'm getting older, because I did the same with Ranger seats. The same modern, game day "experience" of constant noise, music during every break in the action drove me nuts there also.

I could go on and on, but I've probably chased all of you off my lawn already, so I'll end this here, LOL!

After the 15th year of the lease, and every five years, hence; one of the two teams may opt out of the lease after giving the state 12 months notice. However, if one team leaves for a new stadium, the other team would have to remain for the remainder of the lease. Based on the teams' histories, this clause presumably allows the Jets to eventually decide they want to play in their own stadium and leave if they can find a way to finance it. However, the high cost of building and relocating to a new stadium makes this very unlikely (although the Jets have relocated their facilities to Florham Park, New Jersey). 

Our best hope is the Jets get a Stadium of their own near Citi Field. 

9 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Tony, Vito, and Vitaly had to be paid off......  "Yo! Unionz ah da best, Capisce?  Dem peeples down sout all sount so stoopit, right?"

Exactly, 400 million less to build the Cowboys place, lol. I remember doing a show at the Javits & had to allow the Union to set up. We had some guys son that just got out of rehab & SOME HOW got this coushy Union job. It was like having NO ONE, kid was lazy, didn't know sh*t, but we had to accept he had to perform certain duties for us? Opened my eyes to Unions & how they operate in a city like NY. It's like extortion. I know you Union guys will scream, but with the labor laws ALREADY on the books in this country, Unions are outdated & why states like South Carolina are getting the large companies like Mercedes, BMW, and Boeing to move there & create 1000s of new great paying jobs. 

7 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

I blame the corrupt politicians of NYC and James Dolan. 

Could you imagine if the Jets had built that beautiful Westside Stadium & then we drafted Sam Darnold? I loved the design of that place. Seeing New York Jets lit up & the neon green all the way around. How cool would that have looked next year on Monday Night Football, with the camera sweeping over the Hudson & down to that stadium glowing in green with Sam & Bell donning their new uniforms, the Jet chant echoing through the TV speakers as viewers outside of NY watch in awe? Oh well, back to the giant Air Conditioner in the swamps of Jersey.

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Funny, but true.  Almost any construction in the Tri-State region is controlled to a large degree.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Exactly, 400 million less to build the Cowboys place, lol. I remember doing a show at the Javits & had to allow the Union to set up. We had some guys son that just got out of rehab & SOME HOW got this coushy Union job. It was like having NO ONE, kid was lazy, didn't know sh*t, but we had to accept he had to perform certain duties for us? Opened my eyes to Unions & how they operate in a city like NY. It's like extortion. I know you Union guys will scream, but with the labor laws ALREADY on the books in this country, Unions are outdated & why states like South Carolina are getting the large companies like Mercedes, BMW, and Boeing to move there & create 1000s of new great paying jobs. 

Yes it’s very unfortunate how nobody can get any nice buildings or even stadiums built in the New York metro region. Those darn unions have Manhattan looking like a series of post-apocalyptic Fallout shelters, built with fishing line and scrap aluminum panels. It’s a wonder more people don’t flock to education hubs like Plano Texas or luxe metropolises like Greenville, SC. 

The Jets have to get back to Queens. I think their in the lease until 2025. Right now they play in a alluminum can.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Could you imagine if the Jets had built that beautiful Westside Stadium & then we drafted Sam Darnold? I loved the design of that place. Seeing New York Jets lit up & the neon green all the way around. How cool would that have looked next year on Monday Night Football, with the camera sweeping over the Hudson & down to that stadium glowing in green with Sam & Bell donning their new uniforms, the Jet chant echoing through the TV speakers as viewers outside of NY watch in awe? Oh well, back to the giant Air Conditioner in the swamps of Jersey.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes it’s very unfortunate how nobody can get any nice buildings or even stadiums built in the New York metro region. Those darn unions have Manhattan looking like a series of post-apocalyptic Fallout shelters, built with fishing line and scrap aluminum panels. It’s a wonder more people don’t flock to education hubs like Plano Texas or luxe metropolises like Greenville, SC. 

You do know that the only people MOVING TO NY are multi million dollar heir babies & people who qualify for subsidies right? 

There is no middle class (they qualify for NOTHING if they make $80,000 in combined salaries), they've been pushed into near poverty and the 1st chance they get to leave they do. Largest population LOSSES over the last 5 years, CT & NY. 

At least it's in a swamp land next to Xanadu.

The West Side Stadium was attainable, and it would have been absolutely incredible. The political corruption around it could have been easily managed and exposed. Those people are dumb as hell, but still proved to totally outmatch Woody. Again exhibiting how incompetence is inherent in those who have had their entire lives handed to them.

It blows my mind when people say there are worse owners than the Johnsons. The evidence doesn't match that narrative.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You do know that the only people MOVING TO NY are multi million dollar heir babies & people who qualify for subsidies right? 

There is no middle class (they qualify for NOTHING if they make $80,000 in combined salaries), they've been pushed into near poverty and the 1st chance they get to leave they do. Largest population LOSSES over the last 5 years, CT & NY. 

Wow so what if, and hear me out here, there was some apparatus whereby wages paid to non-millionaires were collectively bargained so that those non-millionaires could continue to share in the vast wealth of the New York Metro area instead of having to flee to poverty-stricken leper colony Hoovervilles in the deep south where none of those worker protections exist, per-capita poverty is the highest in the country, and the quality of schools and infrastructure suffers because of the ensuing minimal tax revenues . I don’t know it’s just an #idea

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I've said this for years 2 NFL teams 20 home games a season counting pre-season and this is the best they could do?  

MetLife should have been the TAJ-MAHAL MECCA of stadiums in the NFL. 

Woody tried to do that.  WSS would have been great.  Corrupt NY politicians sank it.   

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

No one is questioning the ability to build nice, structurally sound, good looking   buildings in the NY metro area. 

But anyone who doesn’t realize that shady/ ridiculous union costs were a big part of the reason the cost to build that POS was comically high is simply uninformed.

Just now, KINGDIRK said:

No one is questioning the ability to build nice, structurally sound, good looking   buildings in the NY metro area. 

But anyone who doesn’t realize that shady/ ridiculous union costs were a big part of the reason the cost to build that POS was comically high is simply uninformed.

(Those union costs get applied at the nice buildings, too) 

There’s no doubt that unions make it more expensive to build these things, but blaming unions because MetLife is terrible without blaming the billionaires who mismanaged the project years before the first shovel hit the dirt is dumb.

Archived