MetLife Stadium stinks and the latest Super Bowl venues will make it look even worse

joewilly12

On 2/2/2019 at 10:47 AM, WayneChrebet80 said:

In his defense he had both Bloomberg and Pataki on board with the plan. Dolan tried to pull a fast one by outbidding Woody for the site, but Pataki blocked him. 

At the end of the day the majority of manhattan residents opposed both the stadium and olympics. It was the right call.

It's lost on some here that while corruptocrat Sheldon Sliver blocked it, the WSS was a bad idea that most of NYC's populace opposed. It wasn't only Dolan .It would have ruined the north end of the High Line, which s a beautiful place. There would have been nothing wrong with building a stadium in Queens, or failing in that building something beautiful in NJ. 

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

People blaming unions for the sh*ttiness of MetLife is pathetic. There are people in this country that think the only thing that matters is cutting cost to the Goddamn bone no matter what the social cost. Would you like your kids to work for $8 an hour? Are we supposed to have a middle class at all? 

Metlife is terrible because the design is bland awfulness. and it doesn't appear that anyone involved had ever been to a  football game; crowded hallways and walkways, too few bathrooms, impossible entrance and exit.And it's ugly. 

I can guarantee you that the people working for Mercedes, BMW & Boeing in SC are not making $8 an hour. Just stop with that crap. Jerry Jones palace in Arlington cost the same as the sh*thole in Rutherford NJ. 

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How about any type of NFL/football theme (beyond the playing field itself)? Or something having to do with NY/NYC. Or beyond that, just make it nice looking. 

You walk through it and the theme is unpainted cinderblocks. Oh yeah and they have a 50 outside that lines up with midfield. Oooh. 

It doesn't have to personify or match the colors either team specifically. I think others it on the head that they went so overboard not trying to make it more Giants than Jets, nor vice versa, that they made it devoid of any character at all and not just devoid of any one team representation.

Nothing unique in terms of identifying traits, and they opted for a gray stadium outside, with gray cinderblock hallways, and gray seats. And oh wow there's faint green or blue lighting on the slats that you can barely detect from ground level. I half think the Jets' upcoming uniforms should have gray as the dominant color (including prominence in the logo, with some green thrown in), purely so the stadium then looks more like it's their home than that of the Giants. 

It's hideous, was a major letdown in architectural design considering what other teams have done by then and since, and the caliber of local architects at their disposal.

140128_metlife_stadium_wtc_ap_605.jpg

The Manhattan skyline is the iconic symbol of the entire NY Metro area and MetLife Stadium has the design aesthetics of a skyscraper.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Metlife is terrible because the design is bland awfulness. and it doesn't appear that anyone involved had ever been to a  football game; crowded hallways and walkways, too few bathrooms, impossible entrance and exit.And it's ugly. 

Where do you sit?  Are you a season ticket holder?

I can speak for the Mezzanine which is flush with bathrooms with small lines, we have a ton of concessions that only get crowded at halftime and it's barely a 5 minute wait for anything, we can get out down the staircases in under 3 minutes, and I'm usually at my car within another 3 minutes after that.  Compared to Giants Stadium with fans running around like rats in all directions banging into each other throughout the concourses and the sprials it's a dream.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I went for the first time this year for Max’s amazing JN outing. I like it and our seats Max got us were the closest I’ve ever sat at a Jets game.

There you go.  It was good, right?

I'm not saying MetLife is some palace, but it's on par with every other NFL stadium.  People see the brick wall of Indianapolis or the red and blue seats of Gillette and they think that they're better than MetLife because MetLife has a set of aluminum louvers and grey seats.  Well, I've been to those stadiums, and several others, and MetLife rocks where it matters most-  convenience, accessibility, and capacity. 

We blow away these other stadiums which have no parking (you have to experience Foxboro to understand it), terrible ingress to get to your seats (it once took us 45 minutes to get from getting our tickets scanned to getting to our seats for the Pats wildcard game), or too few seats (Indianapolis feels like Madison Square Garden its so tiny), no tailgating (Indy), long walks to cars (Kansas City), no public transportation (Jacksonville), no team atmosphere (Miami), ancient bathrooms and cramped walkways (Lambeau), it's just amazing how people know so little about NFL stadiums and where MetLife fits in in a very positive light.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

The 1980s don't matter anymore. By my count you have attended exactly one Jets game in MetLife stadium and we have been there for 9 seasons.

You aren't a real Jets fan. You only watch them on television and pretend in a forum.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Jets fans with PSL's also have jobs, and careers, and families, and simply can't attend every game due to these other responsibilities. Those of you who are older and retired or those of you who are young and living on your own can attend games on StubHub and we're the ones allowing you to do so as it's our seats you're sittting in. Say thank you.  

If not, you can apologize because it's you that is missing. Your butts aren't in the seats, you're too cheap to buy them for $25 on StubHub, and you are allowing Dolphins fans to buy them instead. I hope you're proud of yourselves. 

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, when I was in my early 30s and didn't have children.

You live in a bubble.  I'm not sure who built your time machine but it's 25 years later. Giants Stadium doesn't exist anymore, you aren't a season ticket holder anymore, and the people who used to listen to Charlie Daniels and tailgate in Zubas's with you are 55 now and don't want themselves or their children exposed to smoking, drug use, alcohol, fighting, and cursing at a family event like an NFL game. 

SAR I

Image result for lowlife loser pics

Exactly, 400 million less to build the Cowboys place, lol. I remember doing a show at the Javits & had to allow the Union to set up. We had some guys son that just got out of rehab & SOME HOW got this coushy Union job. It was like having NO ONE, kid was lazy, didn't know sh*t, but we had to accept he had to perform certain duties for us? Opened my eyes to Unions & how they operate in a city like NY. It's like extortion. I know you Union guys will scream, but with the labor laws ALREADY on the books in this country, Unions are outdated & why states like South Carolina are getting the large companies like Mercedes, BMW, and Boeing to move there & create 1000s of new great paying jobs. 
Very uninformed opinion on unions, full of Fox news propaganda.

Unions can be abused like any system, but they play a vital role in labor and with all the legislation and court ruling weakening them over the past 20-30 years it's not been good..

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

There you go.  It was good, right?

I'm not saying MetLife is some palace, but it's on par with every other NFL stadium.  People see the brick wall of Indianapolis or the red and blue seats of Gillette and they think that they're better than MetLife because MetLife has a set of aluminum louvers and grey seats.  Well, I've been to those stadiums, and several others, and MetLife rocks where it matters most-  convenience, accessibility, and capacity. 

We blow away these other stadiums which have no parking (you have to experience Foxboro to understand it), terrible ingress to get to your seats (it once took us 45 minutes to get from getting our tickets scanned to getting to our seats for the Pats wildcard game), or too few seats (Indianapolis feels like Madison Square Garden its so tiny), no tailgating (Indy), long walks to cars (Kansas City), no public transportation (Jacksonville), no team atmosphere (Miami), ancient bathrooms and cramped walkways (Lambeau), it's just amazing how people know so little about NFL stadiums and where MetLife fits in in a very positive light.

SAR I

Both teams are run by assholes because MetLife is hairy butt ugly. It didn't have ot be that way.  ANd it should have had a retractable lid. 

How about any type of NFL/football theme (beyond the playing field itself)? Or something having to do with NY/NYC. Or beyond that, just make it nice looking. 

You walk through it and the theme is unpainted cinderblocks. Oh yeah and they have a 50 outside that lines up with midfield. Oooh. 

It doesn't have to personify or match the colors either team specifically. I think others it on the head that they went so overboard not trying to make it more Giants than Jets, nor vice versa, that they made it devoid of any character at all and not just devoid of any one team representation.

Nothing unique in terms of identifying traits, and they opted for a gray stadium outside, with gray cinderblock hallways, and gray seats. And oh wow there's faint green or blue lighting on the slats that you can barely detect from ground level. I half think the Jets' upcoming uniforms should have gray as the dominant color (including prominence in the logo, with some green thrown in), purely so the stadium then looks more like it's their home than that of the Giants. 

It's hideous, was a major letdown in architectural design considering what other teams have done by then and since, and the caliber of local architects at their disposal.

I don't disagree with you, it's almost sterile looking but I recall the Jets didn't want any fixed Giants stuff in the building. It is what it is but considering the cost of the building they could have maybe added some decorative wall work instead of cinder block with paint. Again I really don't care how the stadium looks and doesn't effect my experience. I just don't like it in NJ with the damn Giants.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jetmech said:

I don't disagree with you, it's almost sterile looking but I recall the Jets didn't want any fixed Giants stuff in the building. It is what it is but considering the cost of the building they could have maybe added some decorative wall work instead of cinder block with paint. Again I really don't care how the stadium looks and doesn't effect my experience. I just don't like it in NJ with the damn Giants.

Yeah I just don’t see how not-Giants = ugliest stadium built in decades. No one else has a Giants theme either, and how many are specific to the home team? It’s not like down in Dallas they shaped the stadium like a star or a big cowboy hat or cattle.

Yeah I just don’t see how not-Giants = ugliest stadium built in decades. No one else has a Giants theme either, and how many are specific to the home team? It’s not like down in Dallas they shaped the stadium like a star or a big cowboy hat or cattle.
I know, it's definitely lacking personality and people mocked Shea Stadium!

55 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

In fairness, people mocked Shea because we were playing football games in an old baseball stadium that was 3 decades old when we moved out. Improved sight lines aside, moving into any stadium with another team's name on it - and locking us into it for so long - just traded one bad thing for another. Love how Woody was cheap for not building a Jets-only stadium in the early 2000s (after spending & losing the better part of $100MM to try and get the WSS done), but Hess gets a comparative pass for moving the team into a decade-old venue that literally said Giants Stadium on it and on every sign in the area for miles around, with Giants colors and such all over. If it was merely named Meadowlands Stadium (even more, without red/blue seats) it wouldn't have mattered 1/10 as much. Why there's nostalgia for an oil baron who oversaw how much failure over the years is beyond me. Maybe it's because he was good to Byrd after the injury and then schemed to pry Parcells away from NE (which move's eventual long term tragedy outweighed its short term satisfaction long ago). Other than that I've got nothing.

You have to admit though, better "identity" aside, Shea was a dump.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, people mocked Shea because we were playing football games in an old baseball stadium that was 3 decades old when we moved out. Improved sight lines aside, moving into any stadium with another team's name on it - and locking us into it for so long - just traded one bad thing for another. Love how Woody was cheap for not building a Jets-only stadium in 2000 (after spending & losing the better part of $100MM to try and get the WSS done), but Hess gets a comparative pass for moving the team into a decade-old venue that literally said Giants Stadium on it and on every sign in the area for miles around, with Giants colors and such all over. If it was merely named Meadowlands Stadium (even more, without red/blue seats) it wouldn't have mattered 1/10 as much. Why there's nostalgia for an oil baron who oversaw how much failure over the years. Maybe it's because he was good to Byrd after the injury and then schemed to pry Parcells away from NE (which move's eventual long term tragedy outweighed its short term satisfaction long ago). Other than that I've got nothing.

the jets have always been the red headed step child of ny sports.  i was plenty excited when they floated the idea of the west side stadium.  it would've been a great thing for a city that should be great.  it didn't happen because of the usual hand wringing and ny style corruption.  so they build a new stadium adjacent to the old giants stadium.  it's not so great because the costs to build anything in the ny metro area are ridiculously high.  the main fault is they didn't put a roof on it.  i get the parts about not having an identity but after all is said and done it is just a stadium.

In fairness, people mocked Shea because we were playing football games in an old baseball stadium that was 3 decades old when we moved out. Improved sight lines aside, moving into any stadium with another team's name on it - and locking us into it for so long - just traded one bad thing for another. Love how Woody was cheap for not building a Jets-only stadium in 2000 (after spending & losing the better part of $100MM to try and get the WSS done), but Hess gets a comparative pass for moving the team into a decade-old venue that literally said Giants Stadium on it and on every sign in the area for miles around, with Giants colors and such all over. If it was merely named Meadowlands Stadium (even more, without red/blue seats) it wouldn't have mattered 1/10 as much. Why there's nostalgia for an oil baron who oversaw how much failure over the years. Maybe it's because he was good to Byrd after the injury and then schemed to pry Parcells away from NE (which move's eventual long term tragedy outweighed its short term satisfaction long ago). Other than that I've got nothing.
Yeah I guess looking back it was a dump but I was kid going to Shea and the Mets were kings during that time so I didn't care about the building.

You're right on every point you made. Nothing else needs to be stated.

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the jets have always been the red headed step child of ny sports.  i was plenty excited when they floated the idea of the west side stadium.  it would've been a great thing for a city that should be great.  it didn't happen because of the usual hand wringing and ny style corruption.  so they build a new stadium adjacent to the old giants stadium.  it's not so great because the costs to build anything in the ny metro area are ridiculously high.  the main fault is they didn't put a roof on it.  i get the parts about not having an identity but after all is said and done it is just a stadium.

I think there’s more than just this, but no argument with most of it, and these perceived problems would be shrugged off if we’re winning. Like in ‘98 how many Jets fans really spent the season complaining about Giants Stadium?

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Both teams are run by assholes because MetLife is hairy butt ugly. It didn't have ot be that way.  ANd it should have had a retractable lid. 

Does it really matter though?

Would you have spent more money on PSL's or season tickets if the stadium were prettier?  Can you name 5 games in the 9 seasons we've been at MetLife that were so miserable that the upside of a dome would have offset the downside of weather advantage and/or ticket prices? 

I've been to about a dozen opposing stadiums and none of this cosmetic stuff matters.  Whether in nostalgic Lambeau or sterile Foxboro, it's just a seating bowl.  The only thing that matters are the fans in the seats, and I've yet to meet a season ticket holder who said he gave up his seats because the stadium wasn't attractive enough.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

mls.jpg

If only the stadium were green on the outside and had a big JETS logo on it.  Then it would feel like our home.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jetmech said:

sheags.jpg

Mocked is right.  A baseball stadium with the worst sightlines and parking in the NFL and a Montreal Expos pennant between the goalposts followed by a red and blue stadium plastered with the name of a city rival and people have the balls to complain about MetLife?  It's ridiculous.

SAR I

8 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

The design could have been a little more radical. A retractable roof a definite plus to. It's not the worst.

We just have to Win some games, we naturally focus on the negatives when we've got nothing else to cheer about.

Go Jets! 

dear Burnleyj, hi ! ?.. i agree the design could have been more " radical ". a roof would have been a +. it's NOT the worst.

i went to the sb yesterday here in atl. Mercedes-Benz Stadium is terrific. very ? 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, people mocked Shea because we were playing football games in an old baseball stadium that was 3 decades old when we moved out. Improved sight lines aside, moving into any stadium with another team's name on it - and locking us into it for so long - just traded one bad thing for another. Love how Woody was cheap for not building a Jets-only stadium in the early 2000s (after spending & losing the better part of $100MM to try and get the WSS done), but Hess gets a comparative pass for moving the team into a decade-old venue that literally said Giants Stadium on it and on every sign in the area for miles around, with Giants colors and such all over. If it was merely named Meadowlands Stadium (even more, without red/blue seats) it wouldn't have mattered 1/10 as much. Why there's nostalgia for an oil baron who oversaw how much failure over the years is beyond me. Maybe it's because he was good to Byrd after the injury and then schemed to pry Parcells away from NE (which move's eventual long term tragedy outweighed its short term satisfaction long ago). Other than that I've got nothing.

Hess didn't get a pass when he moved the Jets to the Meadowlands, he was creamed in the media for doing it.  However, though Shea was much more convenient for me, I never blamed Hess for moving.  The Jets were treated like garbage by the Mets and NYC.  They were not permitted any preseason home games, they did not have access to Shea until the baseball season was over.  Consequently there were seasons when the Jets played their first 4 regular season games on the road.  There was even 1 year (1973) when the Jets lost a home game because the Mets played in the World Series.  The Jets had to flip the Steeler game from Shea to Pittsburgh, resulting in only 6 home games that season.

I also do not blame Woody.  He tried hard for a Manhattan stadium but the corrupt politicians and James Dolan prevented it. 

z-Shea202810-16-83-0929fb9.jpg

z-Shea202810-16-83-0429fb4.jpg

z-Shea202810-16-83-1429fb14.jpg

z-Shea202810-16-83-1729fb17.jpg

z-Shea202810-16-83-1729fb17.jpg

z-Shea202810-16-83-1929fb19.jpg

z-Shea202810-16-83-2129fb21.jpg

Perfectly stated.  How anyone other than belligerent tailgating drunks can say that Shea was a 'great' stadium for football is astounding.

What a dump.

SAR I

I think there’s more than just this, but no argument with most of it, and these perceived problems would be shrugged off if we’re winning. Like in ‘98 how many Jets fans really spent the season complaining about Giants Stadium?

DSC01272.jpg

ezanine-zpsmlhb9mjn.jpg

Yup, Giants Stadium, a sea of red and blue seats.  Oh, but grey seats are worse.  Victims.  Poor, poor Jets victims.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

This article is 100% true no matter what SAR I says.

Do we beat Oakland to win the AFL Championship in 1968 if it weren't a windy frozen tundra?  Do we have a cakewalk over Jacksonville in 1998 to advance to the AFC Championship if it were 50 degrees?  Do we whip the Peyton Manning Colts 41-0 in a home playoff game if it weren't 5 degrees on his fingertips?  Do the Patriots have such playoff dominance at home without frigid January temperatures? 

If in a year or two we're hosting the likes of the Colts, Chargers, Raiders, Jaguars, or Dolphins in the playoffs we'll be very pleased with a homefield advantage like that.  A dome is the last thing we need.  Fun and comfortable for fans, sure.  But eliminates the only real advantage that home teams have these days-  weather.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Side note - I just quickly scrolled through this thread and SAR's "defenses" of our dumphole stadium are LOLOLOL

It's not a palace.  But it's not crap.  And, most importantly, it is miles and miles better than the Polo Grounds, Shea Stadium, and Giants Stadium that preceded it.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's not a palace.  But it's not crap.  And, most importantly, it is miles and miles better than the Polo Grounds, Shea Stadium, and Giants Stadium that preceded it.

SAR I

I don't get the "hate" for MetLife.  I've been a season ticket holder since 1978, it's the best stadium we've had. What a bunch of whiners. 

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I'm sure your McMansion is better than Abe Lincoln's log cabin but just because it's newer doesn't mean it's not a chintzy bland dungeon.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, SAR I said:

mls.jpg

If only the stadium were green on the outside and had a big JETS logo on it.  Then it would feel like our home.

SAR I

that's you're take home from all of it?

When you're standing right under it, it looks like the top half of this photo with the barely-noticeable tinge.

Also it's just ugly outside and in.

You personally love it and think it's super nice compare to other builds since then, power to you.

1 hour ago, kelly said:

dear Burnleyj, hi ! ?.. i agree the design could have been more " radical ". a roof would have been a +. it's NOT the worst.

i went to the sb yesterday here in atl. Mercedes-Benz Stadium is terrific. very ? 

How long a drive from Dunwoody?

Archived