Why not; 2019 DB THREAD

Paradis

Although i'm not going to waste any real estate on them 1st rnd gangsters, you're more than welcome to discuss. Instead, I want to talk about a couple mid to late round guys.... you know how it is, we're not NOT gonna take a DB, . 

(order doesn't reflect rank)

JoeJuan Williams, Vanderbilt (6'3 210)... Antonio Cromartie the 2nd. He's aggressive, he's athletic and loves the fight. Although he's being called a "3rd-4th" I think he'll be a 1st round pick post-combine. If he was there at the top 3, I'd have a hard time being pissy about the pick.

• Upvote 1

Nik Needham, UTEP, (6'0 190) 

This one has me legitimately perplexed. All the right things are there; measurables, fundamentals, physical, good hands etc, Not a physical specimen, but capable... and best of all, QBs often just left him alone, the junior Revis treatment... yet, no East-West, no senior bowl, combine invite TBD... 

AJ2QHYbT.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jimmy Moreland, JMU (5'11 175)

Probably know him from his rise to notoriety throughout the E/W and SB games. He's look instinctive and I like his wolverine playing style. He had a pretty beastly senior year, including eight picks i believe

• Upvote 1

Corey Ballentine, Washburn (5'11 180)

This is what the all star bowl games do so well, give guys like Corey a chance to shine against Div-1 school talent. He put himself on the map with his scrappy, yet smart play. He's no joke. 

Boooooooooooom vvv

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Rock Ya-Sin, Temple (6'2 190)

DAWG... His senior bowl week speaks for itself. Probably flirting with 2nd round at the moment.

Sin vs Deebo. nuff said

He didn't impress me very much during the senior bowl. I know they were hyping him up and he looks like a great athlete but my main concern for him was locating the ball. Reminiscent of Kyle Wilson.

18 hours ago, RobR said:

He didn't impress me very much during the senior bowl. I know they were hyping him up and he looks like a great athlete but my main concern for him was locating the ball. Reminiscent of Kyle Wilson.

Disclaimer from management.........immediately disqualifies applicant from any further discussion.?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I like my CB's like my  WRs, long and athletic.   Williams, Ya-sin, and Johnson are all very intriguing.  

I feel like there are 90 players wI like my cornersho could get drafted in the 65 picks between the Jets 3rd overall pick and their first selection in the 3rd round.  Maybe more.  

Total agreement. Not interested in any 5'8' CB who are "decent" in coverage. Williams looked good in that Ole Miss tape.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, RobR said:

huh, i'll keep an eye out for that. That's pretty damning. I think i trust him more than that. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

huh, i'll keep an eye out for that. That's pretty damning. I think i trust him more than that. 

I noticed it during the SB practices, especially on deep passes to the outside. He's just face guarding and throwing up his hands in desperation and we all know that sh*t won't fly in the NFL. I also think it's a trait that is hard to change(coach)....you either have it or you don't. 

39 minutes ago, RobR said:

I noticed it during the SB practices, especially on deep passes to the outside. He's just face guarding and throwing up his hands in desperation and we all know that sh*t won't fly in the NFL. I also think it's a trait that is hard to change(coach)....you either have it or you don't. 

well then you'll love Nik Needham

18 hours ago, section314 said:

Especially since that was the one part of that D that we really needed. And continue to need.?

I have a theory that both Rex and Bowles ignored edge rushers because both thought they could manufacture pressure through their "exotic" schemes. I'm happy to hopefully being back to a coaching staff that appreciates good, athletic edge rushers. 

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I have a theory that both Rex and Bowles ignored edge rushers because both thought they could manufacture pressure through their "exotic" schemes. I'm happy to hopefully being back to a coaching staff that appreciates good, athletic edge rushers. 

Interesting. The thing that I never got is that Rex had Suggs when he was with Ravens, I think. He took that D to another level.

I hope we do not take a Cb or Safety with any of our picks.  Some of these guys look decent but I'll spec on a Wr/RB/Oline/TE in mid to late rounds over DBs.  We have done that before, we have used a boat load of resources of those type of guys.  (5th for rashard robinson, 4th for burris, two 6th rounders fro clark and jones, the dude we picked last year in the 6th (who i like)

NO DB's

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I hope we do not take a Cb or Safety with any of our picks.  Some of these guys look decent but I'll spec on a Wr/RB/Oline/TE in mid to late rounds over DBs.  We have done that before, we have used a boat load of resources of those type of guys.  (5th for rashard robinson, 4th for burris, two 6th rounders fro clark and jones, the dude we picked last year in the 6th (who i like)

NO DB's

Obviously you know where I sit. We could spend our entire draft lottery on those offense skill positions and I wouldn’t bat an eye... 

but that’s not going to happen. In fact,  when you consider the resources last year invested into the D line, along with the options at End and pass rusher this year in free agency, the secondary is the most likely position to be potentially bolstered in the draft 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well if we bolster then that means mac has utterly failed in his picks for like the 4th year in a row.  If we are looking for depth i'd rather spend fa dollars, even if that has failed in the past.

I have zero faith in Maccagnan navigating this draft properly.  Zero.  You can buy an entire defense in free agency this year, starters, depth, whatever you need.  Yet we’ll see at least half of this draft being used on the same positions that Mac has drafted in his last few drafts.  He’s inept.  

• Upvote 1

Well i have to laugh when they quote that the jets have a plan because draft and fa has been awful planning wise.  His dreadful misses in 2,3,4 rounds is just awful.  Using a 3rd and a 4th rounder on wr in a draft and both being gone in year two is just hard to take.

He does not even take flyers on the proper positions, late round wrs, late round oline.

In any real organization with a leader who knows anything this should 100% be a make or break year for mac in which he has to hit on almost all of his picks.

The only 2 positions I want in this draft are WR and CB. If we can trade back in the first and pick up a second rounder I’d love to see us get 2 receivers and 2 corners with our picks in the first 3 rounds. Use FA to get OL and EDGE and then some project guys at OL after round 3.

I’ve been smitten with JoeJuan Williams since the post college process started but I don’t see anyway he’s a Jet unless we get a second rounder.

• Upvote 1

Since we need at at least one FS in here (and cause apparently i'm just talking to myself in here...)

I give you Kurron Ramsey, Alabama State... 6'3. 200lb... plays like Marcus Maye (if any of us can remember what that even looks like anymore).  Probably and UDFA and or practice squad guy. 

• 8 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 10:42 AM, Paradis said:

Needham slowly getting some love out there--- 

(interesting fact, Needham went to HS with Sam Darnold)

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/teams-ncaa/division-ia-fbs/conference-usa/utep-miners/2019/02/12/nik-needham-best-nfl-draft-prospect-dont-know/

I don't know how to make that sh*t appear--

Needham with the pick to seal the game for the dolphins today (same dude who spear sacked Sam last week).... 

Ask me how much this pisses me off... like, i actually told the head of scouting for the Jets to get on this one.... i begged. All he got in return was a "we might call you Nik, if you're undrafted"

He went undrafted and we ghosted him. 

Blessuan Austin NFL Draft 2019: Scouting Report for New York Jets' Pick

MATT MILLERAPRIL 27, 2019

STRENGTHS

—Possesses the desired height (6'1"), length (32½" arms) and hand size (10") to compete against any physical profile in the NFL.

—Almost immediately started at Rutgers and showed impressive ascension over freshman and sophomore seasons before injuries.

—Has some recoil in his hips that helps him drop weight and burst out with pace and ease.

—Length creates difficult throws and affects angles that quarterbacks have to navigate, particularly on the boundary and down the field.

WEAKNESSES

—Torn ACL ended 2017 season after only four games; injured knee in 2018, ending season after one game.

—Evaluation is almost entirely a projection of who he could be based off limited recent tape and will naturally be impacted by two straight seasons of injuries.

—Frame is top-heavy and weight needs to be redistributed to bolster a thin lower body, especially given the need to rebuild strength throughout his bottom half. 

—Needs to develop hand usage at the line of scrimmage to disrupt releases when necessary or disengage from blocks.

image.png.a4f212b93c64c7235a22a57245b3dabb.pngOVERALL

Blessuan Austin was headed for four straight seasons of being a leader in the Rutgers defensive backfield before season-ending knee injuries derailed his 2017 and 2018 seasons. His evaluation is going to come down to whether teams think he can continue that growth or if the injuries have limited who he can become. He has an excellent athletic profile but has to prove his lower body can hold up to NFL standards. 

GRADE: 5.75 (ROUND 4 - BACKUP CALIBER) 

PRO COMPARISON: Eli Apple

NFL Debut on 11/10/2019 vs. New York Giants:  3 Solo Tackles, 2 Passes Defensed