Jury is Still out on these Jets Draft Picks

JetNation

IMG_5877.jpg

As Jets General Manger Mike Maccagnan prepares for another off-season, his spotty draft record is well documented as he’s had his share of hits (Sam Darnold, Jamal Adams, Chris Herndon, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins) but far too many misses (Christian Hackenberg, Lorenzo Mauldin, Chad Hansen, Ardiarius Stewart, Bryce Petty).  Throw in second rounder Devin Smith whose career was cut short and the misses look that much worse.

However, with plenty of players having already been let go or written off, there’s a decent sized group of players who have still yet to get a real opportunity to show whether they can play in the NFL or not.  Some drafted and some of the undrafted variety, but either way, some good young players who shouldn’t have the fact that they played for Todd Bowles held against them.  Who still has a shot to contribute?

TE Jordan Leggett: Chosen in the fifth round of the 2017 draft, Leggett was an excellent receiving tight end at Clemson who was inactive for much of his rookie year due to injuries.  His targets were rare in 2018 but he did show solid hands and better than expected blocking ability.

CB Derrick Jones: Jones was a known developmental prospect out of Mississippi who played both wide receiver and cornerback in college.  He had a stellar training camp this season but was promptly nailed to the bench by Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers in 2018.  He did manage to get on the field in week 17 and earned one of the best coverage grades in the NFL from PFF.  Jones’ combination of size and speed is elite (6′ 2”, 4.48), so they should look to develop him and see what he can do.

RB Eli McGuire: McGuire has shown that he can make some plays on the ground if his offensive line gives him anything to work with, but his problem as a pro has been that it’s a rare occurrence through his first two seasons.  McGuire has shown he can make plays as a receiver as well.  If the Jets upgrade the O-line this season, they’ll find out what McGuire is made of.

S Marcus Maye: Whether or not Maye can play is not in question, but his ability to stay healthy is.  If Maye can stay on the field and continue to play at the level he has as a pro thus far, he should team with Jamal Adams to become one of the elite safety tandems in the NFL.

Naturally you can include the entire 2018 class as the jury still being out, but after what we saw in college, in training camp and during the season, we’re comfortable saying Sam Darnold and Chris Herndon will be hits.  To what degree remains to be seen, but there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be somewhere between very good and/or great players for years to come.

DL Nathan Shepherd: Shepherd was the closest thing you could classify as a bust from last year’s class but it’s still too early for that.  A learning curve was expected for the small school product and the best thing you could say about him as a rookie is that he was able to hold his ground, but that’s not enough for a third round pick.  He has to go from a guy who took up space to a guy who makes some plays.

CB Parry Nickerson: Nickerson had himself a decent training camp and saw some reps early on in the season.  There were some rookie mistakes, but he also made what was arguably the Jets’ best play of the year on what was an incredible leaping interception against the Lions.  Sadly, the refs blew the close call and no interception was awarded.  Nickerson should be given a legitimate shot to take over in the slot in 2019.

Parry Nickerson! ?? Pick or Incomplete??? pic.twitter.com/RTKh2A1wpK

— WeAreDBnation (@WeAreDBNation1) September 11, 2018

RB Trenton Cannon:  Cannon is still a raw running back, but he flashed electric speed and great improvement as a gunner on special teams.  He may not be ready to be a regular contributor as quickly as some would like, but his skills make him worth keeping around as a developmental player.

DL Folorunso Fatukasi: Projected as an NFL nose tackle, Fatukasi may have a hard time hanging around in Gregg Willliams’ defense which favors four man fronts after spending his rookie season watching Steve McLendon and Mike Pennel.

WR Deontay Burnett:  Okay, he’s not a Jets draft pick, but he warrants mentioning among this group for this topic.  Burnett had a stellar preseason with the Tennessee Titans before Mike Maccagnan snagged him as a free agent when he was let go.  Burnett impressed as a receiver last season but rarely saw the field in Jeremy Bates’ offense.  Like Derrick Jones on the other side of the ball, Burnett looked impressive when he was finally given a shot in week seventeen and could be a quality slot receiver.

Plenty of players to show what they can do, and now hopefully a coaching staff that will give them the opportunity to do it.  If they pan out, it’s a win for the Jets.  If not, cut bait and hold Maccagnan’s feet to the fire when the 2019 season closes out.

The post Jury is Still out on these Jets Draft Picks appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
QJONjlWRShM

Click here to read the full story...

I agree with this article for the most part, although the jury is already in on Eli McGuire IMO. He's a good role player for this team, I don't believe he'll ever be a full time starter, but he does provide a very nice change of pace. I'm expecting him to remain a Jet for a long time.

Leggett and Jones are way too soft. Nathan Shepherd got his ass ritually kicked every time he was in the field, which is disturbing because he’s supposed to be “stout,” and he’s already like 25 years old, so it’s not like there’s a development plan for him. McGuire sucks, can’t run, and his roster spot should be given to any of the 500 athletic backs that come out in the draft every year. Maye and Nickerson can play, imo. I also like Burnett as a fourth receiver. Guy just seems to know how to play football.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Leggett and Jones are way too soft. Nathan Shepherd got his ass ritually kicked every time he was in the field, which is disturbing because he’s supposed to be “stout,” and he’s already like 25 years old, so it’s not like there’s a development plan for him. McGuire sucks, can’t run, and his roster spot should be given to any of the 500 athletic backs that come out in the draft every year. Maye and Nickerson can play, imo. I also like Burnett as a fourth receiver. Guy just seems to know how to play football.

Leggett’s improvement especially in run blocking was why we finally saw Tomlinson hit the bench. He has a role because he has soft hands and is a willing blocker. A good compliment to Herndon.

Jones has no tackling technique and tries to torpedo himself at player’s feet. That being said, he did try to make tackles against the Patriots and he blew up a bubble screen. So while I understand why a simpleton like Bowles kept him on the bench, Jones is the fastest, most fluid athlete we have at the position and deserved a look. 

McGuire is a good pass catcher out of the back field and good in open space. Unfortunately, he doesn’t get there enough. He can stay on the roster for his twice a season big play and to spell LeVeon. Cannon is better.

13 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Leggett’s improvement especially in run blocking was why we finally saw Tomlinson hit the bench. He has a role because he has soft hands and is a willing blocker. A good compliment to Herndon.

Jones has no tackling technique and tries to torpedo himself at player’s feet. That being said, he did try to make tackles against the Patriots and he blew up a bubble screen. So while I understand why a simpleton like Bowles kept him on the bench, Jones is the fastest, most fluid athlete we have at the position and deserved a look. 

McGuire is a good pass catcher out of the back field and good in open space. Unfortunately, he doesn’t get there enough. He can stay on the roster for his twice a season big play and to spell LeVeon. Cannon is better.

I disagree about Leggett’s potential. He’s had the lazy tag since college, and he hasn’t done much as a pro to inspire any faith in him long-term. He’s like a lot of athletic TEs that can run and catch, but shrink when it gets physical in the middle of the field. This is actually a really good draft for TEs—especially the more traditional in-line guys—so it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Jets take one in the third. 

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I disagree about Leggett’s potential. He’s had the lazy tag since college, and he hasn’t done much as a pro to inspire any faith in him long-term. He’s like a lot of athletic TEs that can run and catch, but shrink when it gets physical in the middle of the field. This is actually a really good draft for TEs—especially the more traditional in-line guys—so it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Jets take one in the third. 

Hopefully the realization that this could possibly be his last season in the NFL will light a fire ? under his a$$. No more easy money for playing a game.

Also if I knew players who are soft in Gregg Williams world get abused, physically and mentally, day in and day out I would be in the gym daily and hitting the sled every day

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You have to realize that the bar has been set so incredibly low with this team. The smallest sign of life/production is taken as a positive from these draft picks and makes them good role players to many.

These guys are crap and almost anyone can be a “role player”. Good role players are what some of these players should have been or at least a few. These are just bodies on the field/bench.

The fan base is desperate to not have another exodus of draft picks and many more cuts. They are only on this team because we haven’t drafted better and haven’t acquired enough starters and our depth is sh*t and made up of guys who wouldn’t be on other teams if it wasn’t for us. I hope some of these guys develope but I highly doubt it. Especially the old rookies that Mac keeps drafting  that have limited upside.

I think many here would be THRILLED if the Jets ended up with like 8 players that stay on the team from the last 4 years of drafting with how many misses we have had. That’s atrocious and nothing to be happy about though. 

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

IMG_5877.jpg

As Jets General Manger Mike Maccagnan prepares for another off-season, his spotty draft record is well documented as he’s had his share of hits (Sam Darnold, Jamal Adams, Chris Herndon, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins) but far too many misses (Christian Hackenberg, Lorenzo Mauldin, Chad Hansen, Ardiarius Stewart, Bryce Petty).  Throw in second rounder Devin Smith whose career was cut short and the misses look that much worse.

However, with plenty of players having already been let go or written off, there’s a decent sized group of players who have still yet to get a real opportunity to show whether they can play in the NFL or not.  Some drafted and some of the undrafted variety, but either way, some good young players who shouldn’t have the fact that they played for Todd Bowles held against them.  Who still has a shot to contribute?

TE Jordan Leggett: Chosen in the fifth round of the 2017 draft, Leggett was an excellent receiving tight end at Clemson who was inactive for much of his rookie year due to injuries.  His targets were rare in 2018 but he did show solid hands and better than expected blocking ability.

CB Derrick Jones: Jones was a known developmental prospect out of Mississippi who played both wide receiver and cornerback in college.  He had a stellar training camp this season but was promptly nailed to the bench by Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers in 2018.  He did manage to get on the field in week 17 and earned one of the best coverage grades in the NFL from PFF.  Jones’ combination of size and speed is elite (6′ 2”, 4.48), so they should look to develop him and see what he can do.

RB Eli McGuire: McGuire has shown that he can make some plays on the ground if his offensive line gives him anything to work with, but his problem as a pro has been that it’s a rare occurrence through his first two seasons.  McGuire has shown he can make plays as a receiver as well.  If the Jets upgrade the O-line this season, they’ll find out what McGuire is made of.

S Marcus Maye: Whether or not Maye can play is not in question, but his ability to stay healthy is.  If Maye can stay on the field and continue to play at the level he has as a pro thus far, he should team with Jamal Adams to become one of the elite safety tandems in the NFL.

Naturally you can include the entire 2018 class as the jury still being out, but after what we saw in college, in training camp and during the season, we’re comfortable saying Sam Darnold and Chris Herndon will be hits.  To what degree remains to be seen, but there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be somewhere between very good and/or great players for years to come.

DL Nathan Shepherd: Shepherd was the closest thing you could classify as a bust from last year’s class but it’s still too early for that.  A learning curve was expected for the small school product and the best thing you could say about him as a rookie is that he was able to hold his ground, but that’s not enough for a third round pick.  He has to go from a guy who took up space to a guy who makes some plays.

CB Parry Nickerson: Nickerson had himself a decent training camp and saw some reps early on in the season.  There were some rookie mistakes, but he also made what was arguably the Jets’ best play of the year on what was an incredible leaping interception against the Lions.  Sadly, the refs blew the close call and no interception was awarded.  Nickerson should be given a legitimate shot to take over in the slot in 2019.

Parry Nickerson! ?? Pick or Incomplete??? pic.twitter.com/RTKh2A1wpK

— WeAreDBnation (@WeAreDBNation1) September 11, 2018

RB Trenton Cannon:  Cannon is still a raw running back, but he flashed electric speed and great improvement as a gunner on special teams.  He may not be ready to be a regular contributor as quickly as some would like, but his skills make him worth keeping around as a developmental player.

DL Folorunso Fatukasi: Projected as an NFL nose tackle, Fatukasi may have a hard time hanging around in Gregg Willliams’ defense which favors four man fronts after spending his rookie season watching Steve McLendon and Mike Pennel.

WR Deontay Burnett:  Okay, he’s not a Jets draft pick, but he warrants mentioning among this group for this topic.  Burnett had a stellar preseason with the Tennessee Titans before Mike Maccagnan snagged him as a free agent when he was let go.  Burnett impressed as a receiver last season but rarely saw the field in Jeremy Bates’ offense.  Like Derrick Jones on the other side of the ball, Burnett looked impressive when he was finally given a shot in week seventeen and could be a quality slot receiver.

Plenty of players to show what they can do, and now hopefully a coaching staff that will give them the opportunity to do it.  If they pan out, it’s a win for the Jets.  If not, cut bait and hold Maccagnan’s feet to the fire when the 2019 season closes out.

The post Jury is Still out on these Jets Draft Picks appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

QJONjlWRShM

Click here to read the full story...

The Shephard pick is one that Mac should have lost his job over. To take a small school project at a position not of need after you draft your franchise QB, have no 2nd round pick and are desperate for pass rushers, OLinemen and playmakers on offense is extreme incompetence and arrogance. 

I have little faith in cannon lol. He might have the worst hands I've ever seen on an NFL player. I think it's mental, the stage is too big for him. He has awful instincts on special teams as well, cost the jets multiple opportunities to down the ball inside the 5 yard line 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I have little faith in cannon lol. He might have the worst hands I've ever seen on an NFL player. I think it's mental, the stage is too big for him. He has awful instincts on special teams as well, cost the jets multiple opportunities to down the ball inside the 5 yard line 

Cannon was terrible.  Awful draft pick.

15 minutes ago, Curse of Namath said:

The Shephard pick is one that Mac should have lost his job over. To take a small school project at a position not of need after you draft your franchise QB, have no 2nd round pick and are desperate for pass rushers, OLinemen and playmakers on offense is extreme incompetence and arrogance. 

The sheperd pick was a head scratcher as far as the player they chose but they only had about 3 dlineman under contract the day of the draft and had picked over the street free agent list leading up to the draft so it was a need actually. I think the Anderson trade happened after the Shepard pick?

Remember Philly rotated 7 dlineman in the super bowl to chase Brady. 

Jets fans don't want to hear about it, but when the season is officially over and the new league year begins, dline will be a bigger need than oline again.

Thr jets will return 4 starters to the oline but only 1 on the dline. (assuming long moves to LG) 

I want to upgrade the oline like everyone else, but if the jets don't bring in serious help on the dline in free agency, and with the draft loaded with dline, it's a pretty obvious pick for dline at #3

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

The sheperd pick was a head scratcher as far as the player they chose but they only had about 3 dlineman under contract the day of the draft and had picked over the street free agent list leading up to the draft so it was a need actually. I think the Anderson trade happened after the Shepard pick?

Remember Philly rotated 7 dlineman in the super bowl to chase Brady. 

Jets fans don't want to hear about it, but when the season is officially over and the new league year begins, dline will be a bigger need than oline again.

Thr jets will return 4 starters to the oline but only 1 on the dline. (assuming long moves to LG) 

I want to upgrade the oline like everyone else, but if the jets don't bring in serious help on the dline in free agency, and with the draft loaded with dline, it's a pretty obvious pick for dline at #3

Not all “DL” are created equally. Philly plays a 4-3 and the 2 ends count as DL which means they need around 8 DL players on the team to provide adequate depth/backups for position. We ran a 3-4 where rushers don’t count as DL and only needed 6 players total to achieve the same level of depth/rotation.

A 3rd round pick is a valuable pick. They could have found some run stopping free agents to fill out the line or really late draft picks. Or maybe draft someone that wasn’t old and starting out with a disadvantage as far as development potential. It was a bad pick.

He may turn out being serviceable but given our needs, where he was taken and the type of prospect that he was(old and small school), it was a bad pick. 

39 minutes ago, Curse of Namath said:

This is correct. Shephard was a dumb pick, especially when we could have used an OL. Mac got lost in the vapors again.

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Not all “DL” are created equally. Philly plays a 4-3 and the 2 ends count as DL which means they need around 8 DL players on the team to provide adequate depth/backups for position. We ran a 3-4 where rushers don’t count as DL and only needed 6 players total to achieve the same level of depth/rotation.

A 3rd round pick is a valuable pick. They could have found some run stopping free agents to fill out the line or really late draft picks. Or maybe draft someone that wasn’t old and starting out with a disadvantage as far as development potential. It was a bad pick.

He may turn out being serviceable but given our needs, where he was taken and the type of prospect that he was(old and small school), it was a bad pick. 

All teams run multiple fronts. All teams need dline depth because defense has to run to the ball on every play they can't jog and spectate like the oline 

Jets couldn't come out of that draft with 3 dlineman on the roster 

Probably why they picked up 3 dlineman during the draft 

Right idea wrong guy 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I definitely wouldn’t mind adding another TE but I don’t think it’s a pressing need. Leggett had the tag and was still productive in college and a lot of concern about his work ethic seemed to bear out. But then he carved out a role as a blocker, a role he wasn’t supposed to be able to fill, and that’s a positive sign. 

Bowles was terrible at getting the most out of players. A perfect example is Leonard Williams, who came out of the gate strong & it's been downhill since. 

Next years training camp is going to be an eye opener for 90% of these players. With Sam coming into his 2nd year expectations will be ratcheted up & guys careers will be challenged. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hopefully the realization that this could possibly be his last season in the NFL will light a fire ? under his a$$. No more easy money for playing a game.

Also if I knew players who are soft in Gregg Williams world get abused, physically and mentally, day in and day out I would be in the gym daily and hitting the sled every day

Gase is on record as not tolerating players who give sub-par effort - game day or in practice.

Could be an interesting wake-up call for both vets and younger guys alike.

39 minutes ago, Larz said:

All teams run multiple fronts. All teams need dline depth because defense has to run to the ball on every play they can't jog and spectate like the oline 

Jets couldn't come out of that draft with 3 dlineman on the roster 

Probably why they picked up 3 dlineman during the draft 

Right idea wrong guy 

I get that but a 4-3 team has more “DL” than a 3-4 team on the roster. So unless I’m misunderstanding, philly rotating 7 DL included their pass rushers which doesn’t make that number big at all.

That’s all that I’m saying. Multiple front or not, 4-3 teams have more “DL” than 3-4. 3-4 teams have more “LB” than a 4-3. They all have roughly the same front 7. If the Jets were a 4-3, they would have had ALOT more than “3 DL” on the roster because you’d include pass rushers like in a 4-3.

Also, a BPA strategy is completely undermined when you use premium picks on non premium positions and then DON’T draft BPA with later round picks. Mac’s BPA strategy is completely flawed and *ss backwards which is why our roster is in its current state.

I realize they only had “3 DL” under contract but they only needed 3 more with Henry Anderson being a possibility that I’m sure they already spoke to Indy about when negotiating the trade up to 3. Drafting another late round DT that’s not old and signing a run stopping DL FA wouldn’t have been difficult at all. 

39 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Gase is on record as not tolerating players who give sub-par effort - game day or in practice.

Could be an interesting wake-up call for both vets and younger guys alike.

You mean the 10 year run of the Rex and Bowles Country Club is over? What a shame.?

I don't agree that the jury is still out on Eli Mcguire.  You tend to know what an RB is early on in his career; they don't need to develop the way guys at other positions do.  Mcguire is good as a receiver out of the backfield, but he is a below average ball carrier.  Out of 27 first and second year RBs with at least 100 carries in 17-18 combined, Mcguire is dead last, 27th, in yards per carry with 3.3.   And there are plenty of later round picks and UDFAs on the list that have been more effective than Mcguire.  Aaron Jones (5), Chris Carson (7), Jordan Howard (5) plus UDFAs Austin Ekeler, Philip Lindsay, Gus Edwards, Josh Adams and Corey Clement.

Pretty sure we know what he is at this point -- the jury is not out.  3rd down back who has shown some effectiveness in short yardage and goal line.  There is a role for him on this team, but he should be no higher than 3rd on our RB depth chart next season.  We still need two effective ball carriers ahead of him.  

21 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I get that but a 4-3 team has more “DL” than a 3-4 team on the roster. So unless I’m misunderstanding, philly rotating 7 DL included their pass rushers which doesn’t make that number big at all.

That’s all that I’m saying. Multiple front or not, 4-3 teams have more “DL” than 3-4. 3-4 teams have more “LB” than a 4-3. They all have roughly the same front 7. If the Jets were a 4-3, they would have had ALOT more than “3 DL” on the roster because you’d include pass rushers like in a 4-3.

Also, a BPA strategy is completely undermined when you use premium picks on non premium positions and then DON’T draft BPA with later round picks. Mac’s BPA strategy is completely flawed and *ss backwards which is why our roster is in its current state.

I realize they only had “3 DL” under contract but they only needed 3 more with Henry Anderson being a possibility that I’m sure they already spoke to Indy about when negotiating the trade up to 3. Drafting another late round DT that’s not old and signing a run stopping DL FA wouldn’t have been difficult at all. 

I'm not going to argue the difference between a dlineman and a linebacker with you lol

Whatever point you are trying to make is irrelevant to the reality of the jets situation going into the draft last year on dline 

It's worse this year because actually 

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't agree that the jury is still out on Eli Mcguire.  You tend to know what an RB is early on in his career; they don't need to develop the way guys at other positions do.  Mcguire is good as a receiver out of the backfield, but he is a below average ball carrier.  Out of 27 first and second year RBs with at least 100 carries in 17-18 combined, Mcguire is dead last, 27th, in yards per carry with 3.3.   And there are plenty of later round picks and UDFAs on the list that have been more effective than Mcguire.  Aaron Jones (5), Chris Carson (7), Jordan Howard (5) plus UDFAs Austin Ekeler, Philip Lindsay, Gus Edwards, Josh Adams and Corey Clement.

Pretty sure we know what he is at this point -- the jury is not out.  3rd down back who has shown some effectiveness in short yardage and goal line.  There is a role for him on this team, but he should be no higher than 3rd on our RB depth chart next season.  We still need two effective ball carriers ahead of him.  

Agreed.  Ideally you would like to see McGuire be more involved in special teams since that’s where his value could be.  If he’s a good special teamer you could live with him as the 3rd/4th RB.  

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You cant block and be too soft.   Shepherd got his ass kicked every time?  He wasn't a force but hardly had his ass kicked every time he was on the field.  The jury is still out on these players.  Thing is we wanted Bowles out because of his O & Ds that these young players struggled in 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

I'm not going to argue the difference between a dlineman and a linebacker with you lol

Whatever point you are trying to make is irrelevant to the reality of the jets situation going into the draft last year on dline 

It's worse this year because actually 

I was just pointing out the difference in “DL” in a 4-3 and 3-4. This illustrates that only having 3 DL wasn’t as dire as you said. Those schemes are apples and oranges. It’s a fact. There is nothing to argue.

The need in draft etc is different and that’s opinion which we can gladly disagree on. I’m just not sure why you refuse to acknowledge my comments on the difference in what is considered DL in a 4-3 vs 3-4 which is where you made your argument when comparing our roster to the Eagles who play a different scheme. 

One last example, a front 7 which can be 4-3 or 3-4 has about 14 players on a 53 man roster which counts the backups. The only difference is that the pass rushers are included in the DL figure on a 4-3 and NOT on a 3-4.

When claiming philly had a 7 man rotation and the Jets only had 3 DL under contract, you are comparing apples to oranges. THAT’S ALL THAT I WAS SAYING.

Look at both 53 man rosters that were set at the beginning of 2018. The Eagles have 9 DL (which include pass rushers) and 14 total front 7 players(1 backup per position). We had 6 DL(not including pass rushers) and 13 total front 7(we have 2 ILB in a 3-4 but only had 1 backup to start season).

B61CBA7C-C6EC-4843-8201-D0AE622CD781.thumb.png.b840e91053d8631c7798c1699bb2d3f1.png636A8461-6A90-4A47-908C-464A1C6C7FA1.thumb.png.50cceba322555ad4dbfd82016d297648.pngE4EE95EC-C2CA-48E5-BE7A-1051C3FB37EE.thumb.png.05dc45e9ab7687c389719b5e609c0048.png

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

mostly agree. the good thing is these guys are all still young so they can become better.  shepard is probably the most troubling because he is older and as you say not much room to grow.

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You cant block and be too soft.   Shepherd got his ass kicked every time?  He wasn't a force but hardly had his ass kicked every time he was on the field.  The jury is still out on these players.  Thing is we wanted Bowles out because of his O & Ds that these young players struggled in 

Shepherd was a wanted draft pick, for a 3rd round pick he’s useless.   You could have signed any number of UDFA or cheap vet FAs to fill his role.  Blaming Bowles because Shepherd sucks isn’t fair.   

14 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I was just pointing out the difference in “DL” in a 4-3 and 3-4. This illustrates that only having 3 DL wasn’t as dire as you said. Those schemes are apples and oranges. It’s a fact. There is nothing to argue.

The need in draft etc is different and that’s opinion which we can gladly disagree on. I’m just not sure why you refuse to acknowledge my comments on the difference in what is considered DL in a 4-3 vs 3-4 which is where you made your argument when comparing our roster to the Eagles who play a different scheme. 

One last example, a front 7 which can be 4-3 or 3-4 has about 14 players on a 53 man roster which counts the backups. The only difference is that the pass rushers are included in the DL figure on a 4-3 and NOT on a 3-4.

When claiming philly had a 7 man rotation and the Jets only had 3 DL under contract, you are comparing apples to oranges. THAT’S ALL THAT I WAS SAYING.

Look at both 53 man rosters that were set at the beginning of 2018. The Eagles have 9 DL (which include pass rushers) and 14 total front 7 players(1 backup per position). We had 6 DL(not including pass rushers) and 13 total front 7(we have 2 ILB in a 3-4 but only had 1 backup to start season).

B61CBA7C-C6EC-4843-8201-D0AE622CD781.thumb.png.b840e91053d8631c7798c1699bb2d3f1.png636A8461-6A90-4A47-908C-464A1C6C7FA1.thumb.png.50cceba322555ad4dbfd82016d297648.pngE4EE95EC-C2CA-48E5-BE7A-1051C3FB37EE.thumb.png.05dc45e9ab7687c389719b5e609c0048.png

The jets ran a lot of 2-4-5 last year I guess they only needed 3 dlineman? 

I guess you will be shocked when the jets draft dline at 3, and I won't be lol

Go to over the cap new york jets and lay out the dline situation for us thanks 

2 hours ago, Curse of Namath said:

can't say mac should've lost his job over this particular pick but it does seem to point to a trend in trying to find a diamond in the rough as opposed to a players who can play right out of the gate.

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Shepherd was a wanted draft pick, for a 3rd round pick he’s useless.   You could have signed any number of UDFA or cheap vet FAs to fill his role.  Blaming Bowles because Shepherd sucks isn’t fair.   

No, if he doesnt develop a wasted pick.

If he does, no its not.  To claim what we could have signed and what would be better long term is meaningless today because its based on nothing.  

And yes, bitching and moaning about Bowles supposed inability to develop players one day and then to say its not on Bowles another was the point and is fair.  Cant have it both ways was the point.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

The jets ran a lot of 2-4-5 last year I guess they only needed 3 dlineman? 

I guess you will be shocked when the jets draft dline at 3, and I won't be lol

Go to over the cap new york jets and lay out the dline situation for us thanks 

I never said they only needed 3. I was just putting context behind why we didn’t need as many DL as the eagles(different scheme rules for what is considered DL) and why I didn’t value the Shepherd pick as much.

I’ll just leave it at that since I have no other way of explaining this to you and you are not acknowledging my ONLY argument which is the difference between 4-3 and 3-4 in regards to DL. 

Archived