Deontay Burnett

sheastadiumjetfan

This guy has the potential to really explode if used properly next year. Bowles and Bates really never gave this kid enough opportunities. When they did at the end of the season the kid produced and executed for 14 yard tough catches.

If you watched him play at USC he had over 1000 yards and was Sams favorite target. The  kid can run different routes has very good hands and can outright play football. I hope Adam Gase  and the new coaching give this kid the opportunity he deserves plus he’s cheap and has excellent chemistry w Sam .

the one handed “OBJ like grab “against Greenbay last year past the end zone  was a thing of beauty and may indicate more to come.

What are board’s thoughts on his development as a slot WR under Gase ? I think there’s room to be excited here if the Jets brass dont blow it and count him out. You know he’d be a stud on NE w TB/BB.

Just hope they give him a real chance to execute with Sam next year and not keep him on the bench and /or trade him . He’s a low risk very high reward kid. Can he earn a starting role under our  new CS? 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burnett doesn't even turn 22 until next October. Do you realize he's still developing physically at that age & he'll play 2019 as a 2nd year 21 year old. 

My prediction is Gase falls in love with Deontays connection with Darnold and will develop that chemistry by teaching the routes he had Landry run when he had Jarvis in Miami. 

My hope is we are able to trade back recoup at #2 and draft a Deebo Sweeney type. Gase will excite these offensive skill players as he just left Miami as a HC, not as a guy who walked out of the woods after a 5 year hiatus like Bates. 

I keep reminding myself this is a 2 year build with Sam on board. But, I'm still holding out hope that we can fix the Oline this offseason in free agency & the draft. The Oline in itself will be the most important construction outside of finding a couple of pass rushers. 

Deontay Burnett will be the starting slot WR in 2019. The money you guys want to give to a guy like Adam Humphries has to be used to fill much more important positions, like Edge, Oline, CB.

This guy has the potential to really explode if used properly next year. Bowles and Bates really never gave this kid enough opportunities. When they did at the end of the season the kid produced and executed for 14 yard tough catches.

If you watched him play at USC he had over 1000 yards and was Sams favorite target. The  kid can run different routes has very good hands and can outright play football. I hope Adam Gase  and the new coaching give this kid the opportunity he deserves plus he’s cheap and has excellent chemistry w Sam .
the one handed “OBJ like grab “against Greenbay last year past the end zone  was a thing of beauty and may indicate more to come.
What are board’s thoughts on his development as a slot WR under Gase ? I think there’s room to be excited here if the Jets brass dont blow it and count him out. You know he’d be a stud on NE w TB/BB.
Just hope they give him a real chance to execute with Sam next year and not keep him on the bench and /or trade him . He’s a low risk very high reward kid. Can he earn a starting role under our  new CS? 

Good post. I love the kid. He always gets open and he has great hands. Maybe he gets roughed up a bit by the larger corners in the league. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, sheastadiumjetfan said:

they say Gase prefers smaller faster WRs so this guy fits the bill. Hopefully he can at least be the full time slot WR in 2019, which in this league is a starter. This tandem of him an Sam for some reason reminds me of maybe a version going forward like we saw with Manning/Harrison.

1 hour ago, sheastadiumjetfan said:

People should look at what he did with Landry and how well he played as the Fins slot WR

You would think, given how few weapons we have on this team and whats going to be available in FA that he has a place on this team today and get a chance to show what he can do in OTAs and camp

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

People should look at what he did with Landry and how well he played as the Fins slot WR

You would think, given how few weapons we have on this team and whats going to be available in FA that he has a place on this team today and get a chance to show what he can do in OTAs and camp

imo gase is going to find a way to get the jet receivers open.  there isn't going to be any more bunching of receivers so one defender can cover two or three.  guys like robbie are going to get theirs and so will enunwa, burnett, herndon, or whoever.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep.  much as wayne was a terrific player. i get a little annoyed when they call players a poor man's this or that.  let burnett show what he can do.  he can only be burnett.

Problem with comparison is they create expectations. More often than not those expectations are never realized. Accept the player for what they are not for what we think they should be. Less disappointment that way, Stars will be stars and busts will be busts most will be middle of the road. 

Perception is the kids slow, not the case.  Perception is the kid's small, not the case.  What he is, is a football player.  Some guys just know how go get open, run routes and catch the ball.  Very likely he's one of these.  Deserves a chance. Expect he'll get one. Young, has chemistry with Sam, what've we got to lose? Not a second round draft pick; this time.

46 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He needs to be in the slot or sent in motion.

Until he can develop some upper body strength he might not get off the line of scrimmage in press coverage.

People are like "what did he do last year?".....he freaking got open without any other weapons & caught the damn ball is what he did. 

Go to YOU TUBE and watch the Sam Darnold highlight video for 2018 season. The shear amount of great throws running for his life is a testament to how good this offense can be when we surround this kid with skill players.

First Enunwa got injured & then they let Pryor go which was truly weird. There are highlights early in the season of Darnold ripping some beautiful throws to Pryor. 

So, criticizing Burnett even though he was 20 years old, was playing alongside some of the weakest skill players in the league & our Oline clearly wasn't giving Sam sufficient time to throw the ball is ridiculous. Let's see what happens when a player like Burnett, playing in the slot with a player like Bell in the backfield and a healthy Enunwa, which will spread the field & let him work. 

Playing the slot is all about quickness, finding the open spot in zones, and great hands. Darnold + Burnett could be a 5 year PITA for defenses. Look how quickly Brady works with Edelman, why can't that work with Sam & Deontay? It's all about reps & being on the same page. Once Sam reads defenses better, he'll always know when his slot can't be covered. 

27 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Without the injuries, "Salsa", hype, and "diva" like mentality.

He’s the sweetest kid ever.  He may be young, but his example of hard work - continuing to work when everyone else has left the field, never showboating, and his spotless off the field conduct, can only be a good example for Robbie.

Every NFL team in the country with a franchise QB, or with potential to become one, will sign a player that their QB is comfortable with.....the Jets at least got a football player that can contribute.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You had me reeled in until you said this. Lol our cap next year is even more than this year...

Not after free agency begins. Big dollars to fix this Oline & bring in some edge rushers a CB, and maybe make a big trade for a WR like AJ Green?

11 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

He’s the sweetest kid ever.  He may be young, but his example of hard work - continuing to work when everyone else has left the field, never showboating, and his spotless off the field conduct, can only be a good example for Robbie.

Every NFL team in the country with a franchise QB, or with potential to become one, will sign a player that their QB is comfortable with.....the Jets at least got a football player that can contribute.

Really pulling for him.  Good guys should win, at least once in a while.

Burnett is an ERFA, so the Jets control his rights and, if they liked what they saw from him, he'll be on the team this summer, at least. In a small sample size, at a time when Sam had extremely few options, Burnett displayed an ability to get open and good hands when he was targeted. It was a good start for a guy, let's remember, who spent most of the year on the practice squad. 

I want him to get a chance. Full offseason to get stronger and play catch with Sam in SoCal. Maybe something good happens. But it's not like you can head into the 2019 season relying on him to be a major contributor. Jets need to hit the position in FA and the draft and with UDFAs and other team's cuts and field a better group of receivers than last year. If Burnett can rise to the top in that circumstance, cool! 

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You had me reeled in until you said this. Lol our cap next year is even more than this year...

Jets have so much cap space this year largely because of the small number of players that they have under contract. For 2020, they currently have about 20 players under contract. That's gonna change quite a bit between the first day of free agency and the end of the draft this year. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Burnett is an ERFA, so the Jets control his rights and, if they liked what they saw from him, he'll be on the team this summer, at least. In a small sample size, at a time when Sam had extremely few options, Burnett displayed an ability to get open and good hands when he was targeted. It was a good start for a guy, let's remember, who spent most of the year on the practice squad. 

I want him to get a chance. Full offseason to get stronger and play catch with Sam in SoCal. Maybe something good happens. But it's not like you can head into the 2019 season relying on him to be a major contributor. Jets need to hit the position in FA and the draft and with UDFAs and other team's cuts and field a better group of receivers than last year. If Burnett can rise to the top in that circumstance, cool! 

Was just about to post this.  As long as we tender him a contract before the new league year starts, he can't go anywhere else.  We control him for next season, as long as we want him; and I can't see why we wouldn't.  

8 minutes ago, slats said:

would be nice to see him get a chance in the slot where quickness is valued just as much as speed, especially if good route running is part of that talent level which it seems to be 

2 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Problem with comparison is they create expectations. More often than not those expectations are never realized. Accept the player for what they are not for what we think they should be. Less disappointment that way, Stars will be stars and busts will be busts most will be middle of the road. 

my point exactly. both kerley and kearse did pretty well grabbing catches over the middle and had good hands. chrebet was special because the team was winning and he did popularize the position.  now we have guys like welker and edelman who are just as good (or were) and are an integral aprt of their team's winning.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:48 AM, Jetster said:

First Enunwa got injured & then they let Pryor go which was truly weird. There are highlights early in the season of Darnold ripping some beautiful throws to Pryor

I don't blame the Jets for cutting Pryor.  There's a reason that an obviously talented athlete with size, speed and grace is on his fourth team, and counting, in just 7 NFL seasons.  It wasn't just the injuries, I believe he's just a bona fide "Head Case".  Shame, when the Jets picked him up I was excited to see what he would bring.  Too bad the answer was, "more of the same".

On 2/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, sheastadiumjetfan said:

Watch Sam's USC highlight reels and it is undeniable that they seem to have some kind of chemistry.  The guy came up with one huge, contested catch after another.  I think he could be a solid number 3 or even 2 over time.

Archived