One thing I am finding joy from tonight

HawkeyeJet

When discussing the superbowl people say that the rams have no receivers other than cooks  , and now people say they're loaded. Do they have weoponz or not? 
Schroedinger's Weaponz

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Yeah but the rest of Sam’s team is trash and worse than about 30 teams in the league so it’s doesnt mean much. Football is a team sport. Let me know when he has a real team around him first. 

That's just not true, you'll see how much better they look with better coaching

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

That's just not true, you'll see how much better they look with better coaching

Both of our statements are opinion. Neither true or untrue. We will see. I think it’s crazy to think that we aren’t a bottom 3 team talent wise besides QB. Better coaching can improve any of the bad teams in the league so I completely disagree with you that he Jets aren’t one of the worst rosters (besides QB) in the league. Good coaching will help (shocker there) and ANYONE is better than Bowles so I expect some improvement at a minimum.

I’m also not sold one Gase being some great head coach and solving our problems because he has to prove that first. His track record as head coach is VERY mixed. We will see. 

9 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

You’re right he will.

Been playing pitch and catch for almost 20 years almost never gets touched.

He’s the face of the NFL.  That’s who Madison Ave wants, so you’re not allowed to touch him, get close like in KC...flag.  That call not made maybe KC playing the Rams today.

Thats not sour grapes.  Brady/Belichick are great at what they do, I just don’t like when it looks like they get extra help.

It's always something with these f*ckers! It's not coincidence when it happens so often in big games! People are saying the officiating was good last night? The games was 3-3 for Three full quarters, so that BS call in the 1st quarter that would have had the Pats at 3rd & at least 16 was a big call! The phantom holding call at 3-3 after the Gurley run for 1st down into Pats territory was a huge call! 

The bad call in KC of roughing the passer? HUGE CALL! 

Its absolutely ridiculous that the Pats can't play a big game without a few questionable calls at JUST THE RIGHT MOMENT.

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Sam Darnold is already better than one of those Superbowl QBs.

That Rams window is gonna close real quick.

I tend to be a little more realistic. We saw some great flashes from Darnold. I am not ready to anoint him better than anyone just yet. Many young QB's show flashes. 

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

It's always something with these f*ckers! It's not coincidence when it happens so often in big games! People are saying the officiating was good last night? The games was 3-3 for Three full quarters, so that BS call in the 1st quarter that would have had the Pats at 3rd & at least 16 was a big call! The phantom holding call at 3-3 after the Gurley run for 1st down into Pats territory was a huge call! 

Its absolutely ridiculous that the Pats can't play a big game without a few questionable calls at JUST THE RIGHT MOMENT.

It was not “good” in the traditional sense. It was “good” relative to some the the complete disaster/disgraces that we have seen from the refs. Shame that this is where the bar has been set.

You have to expect either a few bogus calls going their way or crazy calls the completely ruin the game. This game wasn’t as bad as other ones but it still doesn’t make it ok that the Pats get away with so much. 

6 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It was not “good” in the traditional sense. It was “good” relative to some the the complete disaster/disgraces that we have seen from the refs. Shame that this is where the bar has been set.

You have to expect either a few bogus calls going their way or crazy calls the completely ruin the game. This game wasn’t as bad as other ones but it still doesn’t make it ok that the Pats get away with so much. 

Every replay they showed of pass breakups, even the one in the endzone with Cooks, the Pats DB has a hold of his arm, forget that the Pats DBs were called for only 5 PIs the entire season, I believe they were only called for 1 holding call for 5 yards in 3 playoff games & that was 1 that was called last night. 

I think the one thing I find joy in is the delusional thought that the Jets will be the ones to end the Patriots dynasty. I know everyone will say they don't care how it happens, Bill and Tom retire or beat them it doesn't matter, but I think it would be some much sweeter to beat the Patriots on the way to glory. The Jets beating the Pats in the playoffs 2010-11 season was the best win I have seen and am old enough to truly remember. Unfortunately the Jets, like me, spent the week leading up to the game planning their super bowl trip. 

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Every replay they showed of pass breakups, even the one in the endzone with Cooks, the Pats DB has a hold of his arm, forget that the Pats DBs were called for only 5 PIs the entire season, I believe they were only called for 1 holding call for 5 yards in 3 playoff games & that was 1 that was called last night. 

Every replay in every NFL game has inconsistencies with missed calls. Especially holding on the o-line. It didn’t seem as bad as other games is all. There have been games that were outright disgraced and worse than this.

It wasn’t so slanted that it couldn’t have been overcome. The Rams don’t get to play the same card as the Saints. The better team won yesterday. The Pats still had the unfair advantage but not as much. That’s all that I’m saying. 

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's a ton of talk about how the Pats winning their 6th SB is good news for Sam Darnold

one thing has literally nothing to do with the other

this is the "logic" required to be a "true" Jets fan these days

The pig is ripe.

9 hours ago, CTM said:

I get you but Goff is pretty underwhelming overall and this game did a lot to support that POV. I think he'd be a turd on the Jets.

That doesnt mean I think Darnold would be as efficient on the Rams, he isnt proficient running an offense on schedule but I think I'd take him over Goff in any scenario besides a ready made team that needs a QB whose top quality is rarely ****s up 

Thanks for bringing some sanity. Believe me, I'm no Goff supporter at all. I just can't believe how many people here watch other QBs have a bad game, and then jump on here to say Sam is obviously better.

I ask for the reason they feel that way, and the answer is always "a feeling" or "a throw he made back in October". Then I see a post like the one nico left just above us on this page, where he posts a convoluted chart rating QBs from the date Sam played his best 3 games of the season in December. Which I assume is meant to prove that Goff's career is over, or Darnold is now the best QB in the league. 

Look, I understand we're Jets fans and if Darnold doesn't become a star we're screwed for another 5 years. I want him to be the best QB we've ever had just like everyone else does. But I have to be honest, for a supposedly knowledgeable, savvy fan base, I see a lot of small town homer-ism in regard to Darnold, and very few people who seem willing to be patient enough with his development to judge him in a reasonable way.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to stay away from Game threads as well as those where Sam is the topic. There's too much nonsense in them at this point. I guess I'll have to stick to the relative sanity of the Jamal and new uniform threads, LOL.

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Sam Darnold is already better than one of those Superbowl QBs.

That Rams window is gonna close real quick.

All this talk about Darnold. Yes, we have seen the talent. But we saw it with Marino and the Dolphins won squat. If we continue to draft the way we have from 2010 to now... Darnold will be the next Jeff George.    I simply don't see MAC as a superbowl GM.  He runs scared , looking to overpay vets and offered Cousins 100 million.  If MAC didn't get rejected, we'd have Cousins right now as our QB.

6 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Darold doesn't have 1/10th the team Goff has around him at present.

Darnold has hit throws already Goff could only dream of.

When a play breaks down Goff looks the very opposite of fluid as opposed to Darnold being dangerous on every single play.  Darnold is a threat to hit an explosion play at anytime, even when running for his life.  No?

Tony Romo sees it, I see it, I saw it in Mahomes before he was drafted, but you don't see it and site statistics. What you're doing is the same as saying some junk ball pitcher (and no I'm not equating Goff to that, this has to do with statistics) who wins 20 games with some totally stacked team and then saying he's better than a young Nolan Ryan who hasn't won anything yet.

You put Goff on the 2018 Jets and it would have been ugly.  Darnold for all intents and purposes won 8 games and lost 5...doing it ALL by himself (I added 4 wins to his total since those were games lost that a sandlot coach would have won).  NO way Goff does that well on the 2018 Jets.  And I just diverted to some statistics myself, but again it means nothing right now, it's what you see.

I also see Goff NEVER getting back to another Super Bowl.

I wish I could answer this in a way that doesn't come off as nasty, because I don't want to come off that way. But I don't know if I can pull it off. Just remember, I'm trying. In the time I've been on this site, I don't think I've ever seen a six paragraph post that was more convoluted, and lacking a single fact. I'd love to give you the benefit of the doubt here and say it's simply your opinion, but I can't. I get it, you think Sam is going to be good. I do too. You see things that are encouraging. I do too. But your post is just you being a homer, who's letting his love of Darnold run wild, while trying to pass it off as an analysis of two QBs.

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Bundy was a University of Washington fan.  He got drunk at a bar in Ann Arbor while on the lam and almost got killed by some drunk Muchigan fans at a bar while UW was playing Michigan 

They would have saved maybe a half dozen lives if they killed him at that bar

Michigan blows another one. I guess it is all just a case of history repeating.

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

I tend to be a little more realistic. We saw some great flashes from Darnold. I am not ready to anoint him better than anyone just yet. Many young QB's show flashes. 

Thank you. I thought I was alone in an alternate universe the last 15 hours. LOL.

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Bundy was a University of Washington fan.  He got drunk at a bar in Ann Arbor while on the lam and almost got killed by some drunk Muchigan fans at a bar while UW was playing Michigan 

They would have saved maybe a half dozen lives if they killed him at that bar

Three lives.

Half a half dozen.

34 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Thanks for bringing some sanity. Believe me, I'm no Goff supporter at all. I just can't believe how many people here watch other QBs have a bad game, and then jump on here to say Sam is obviously better.

I ask for the reason they feel that way, and the answer is always "a feeling" or "a throw he made back in October". Then I see a post like the one nico left just above us on this page, where he posts a convoluted chart rating QBs from the date Sam played his best 3 games of the season in December. Which I assume is meant to prove that Goff's career is over, or Darnold is now the best QB in the league. 

Look, I understand we're Jets fans and if Darnold doesn't become a star we're screwed for another 5 years. I want him to be the best QB we've ever had just like everyone else does. But I have to be honest, for a supposedly knowledgeable, savvy fan base, I see a lot of small town homer-ism in regard to Darnold, and very few people who seem willing to be patient enough with his development to judge him in a reasonable way.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to stay away from Game threads as well as those where Sam is the topic. There's too much nonsense in them at this point. I guess I'll have to stick to the relative sanity of the Jamal and new uniform threads, LOL.

All that and no facts? Didn't you just poke fun at someone else for that.

I guarantee you my post wasn't off one game.  I'd also venture to say by your argument being nothing but his star line, you actually haven't seen Goff play much.

Sean McVay is touted as an offensive master mind.  I don't think any can or will dispute that.  Why is the Rams offense so incredibly simplistic then? Surely that couldn't be a by product of Goff's limitations could it?

Silver lining?  

If you want Leveon Bell, or are afraid they are going all out to sign Leveon Bell, Gurley's performance in the Super Bowl and NFC Championship probably shaved a few million off the price tag.   That was the contract everyone was pointing to.  The fact is looks like a bad one is good, if you are looking to sign a top level RB.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You kind of poked fun at a poster for writing 6 paragraphs 

All that and no facts? Didn't you just poke fun at someone else for that.

I guarantee you my post wasn't off one game.  I'd also venture to say by your argument being nothing but his star line, you actually haven't seen Goff play much.

Sean McVay is touted as an offensive master mind.  I don't think any can or will dispute that.  Why is the Rams offense so incredibly simplistic then? Surely that couldn't be a by product of Goff's limitations could it?

You're obviously correct. The Rams "simplistic" offense hasn't impressed anyone the last two years. Belicheck and his defenses have never made an opposing offense look bad once in the last 35 years either, so lets go with Goff being a "limited" QB. The kid hasn't done a thing since he came into the league. Darnold is obviously the better QB. He proved that to the world last year.

How's that? Are we good now?

26 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I wish I could answer this in a way that doesn't come off as nasty, because I don't want to come off that way. But I don't know if I can pull it off. Just remember, I'm trying. In the time I've been on this site, I don't think I've ever seen a six paragraph post that was more convoluted, and lacking a single fact. I'd love to give you the benefit of the doubt here and say it's simply your opinion, but I can't. I get it, you think Sam is going to be good. I do too. You see things that are encouraging. I do too. But your post is just you being a homer, who's letting his love of Darnold run wild, while trying to pass it off as an analysis of two QBs.

Spell out exactly what is convoluted about that post.  I’m fine with taking criticism...when it’s warranted.  I might even agree with you, but spell it out.  Don’t just accuse.

What I’ve seen Darnold already do...seen, that’s the key word, makes me know that I’d take him as QB over Goff any day of the week.  Goff also faded badly in the stretch this year not to mention looking like a deer in the headlights yesterday.  Rams a totally stacked team.  Andy Dalton has played on many strong teams and COMPILED decent stats.  I’d never want him as the QB on my team though.  You’re not winning it all with that guy, actually you don’t even win once come playoff time....going to be the story of Goff’s career too.  What I see from Darnold is that he is superior to Goff in EVERY facet of playing QB.

Youll see...Tony Romo will ageee to that too.

Put Bell in the backfield, get some halfway decent Olineman who can just be AVERAGE run blockers, don’t even bother upgrading WR....Jets are going to the playoffs next year with 22 year old Sam Darnold....Gase and Williams only have to be average too, to make that happen.

Ive already seen Darnold put the lousiest roster in the league on his back and pretty much win 8 games all by himself.  Goff can’t do that.

Well I think the chart isn't really convoluted at all. If you believe in QB rating (and I assume it was NFL QB rating and not ESPN's QBR) it shows that after week 9 Goff's stat's took a nosedive. It also shows that Darnold (after he sat for 3 games) had a good four game stretch to end the season.

The week nine "marker" was one game before Cooper Krupp was lost for the season. Maybe his loss was a key to Goff not playing all that well at the end of the year? Whether this trend continues remains to be seen.

However, nico was asked to give some explanation why he thought that Darnold was better and he provided the chart (which I have seen elsewhere before). You may agree or disagree with his opinion, but the fact is that Darnold finished up the season much better than Goff - at least if you accept the QB rating as fact. IMHO the chart seems like a reasonable thing to post.

In all honesty in the limited games I have seen Goff in action (all in the second half of this year), I have not been that impressed. Quite frankly, I don't think he has Darnold's arm strength. Also his playoff run this year was very pedestrian and his SB performance was pretty bad.

This is a Jet board, so I don't think it's earth shattering that people might add a little "wishful thinking" into their analysis in addition to what is pretty undeniably a good ending to Darnold's (first) season. Especially when you consider the coaching and personnel of the Jets vs. The Rams and what many NYJ fans have seen of Goff (in his third season) over the last three weeks I don't think that the cautiously optimistic position that they would rather have Darnold than Goff - is wholly unreasonable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JetNation.com mobile app

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You're obviously correct. The Rams "simplistic" offense hasn't impressed anyone the last two years. Belicheck and his defenses have never made an opposing offense look bad once in the last 35 years either, so lets go with Goff being a "limited" QB. The kid hasn't done a thing since he came into the league. Darnold is obviously the better QB. He proved that to the world last year.

How's that? Are we good now?

The Rams offense is simplistic.  That's no revelation or hot take.  It's been discussed quite often.  Apparently that is upsetting to you.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Hmm you noticed that too huh.

Youre right, the Hold call on the Gurley run was back breaking, decided the game.  Growing up we used to call Holding “the fix call”, simply because they can call it on every play, and when they do it at the pinnacle of a tightly contested game near the end it’s usually a disgusting thing to see, unless you see a guy being yoked around the neck and being tackled down to the ground, then I’m ok with the call.

Tell me, exact same scenario, change the uniforms, do they drop a flag on New England if Gurley is theirs?  Of course not.  NFL has too much pro wrestling in it.

21 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Spell out exactly what is convoluted about that post.  I’m fine with taking criticism...when it’s warranted.  I might even agree with you, but spell it out.  Don’t just accuse.

What I’ve seen Darnold already do...seen, that’s the key word, makes me know that I’d take him as QB over Goff any day of the week.  Goff also faded badly in the stretch this year not to mention looking like a deer in the headlights yesterday.  Rams a totally stacked team.  Andy Dalton has played on many strong teams and COMPILED decent stats.  I’d never want him as the QB on my team though.  You’re not winning it all with that guy, actually you don’t even win once come playoff time....going to be the story of Goff’s career too.  What I see from Darnold is that he is superior to Goff in EVERY facet of playing QB.

Youll see...Tony Romo will ageee to that too.

Put Bell in the backfield, get some halfway decent Olineman who can just be AVERAGE run blockers, don’t even bother upgrading WR....Jets are going to the playoffs next year with 22 year old Sam Darnold....Gase and Williams only have to be average too, to make that happen.

Ive already seen Darnold put the lousiest roster in the league on his back and pretty much win 8 games all by himself.  Goff can’t do that.

I'm not happy about the tone my last post to you had. I let frustration with some others on a different thread discussing the same topic leak out into posts where I replied to you, @HawkeyeJet, and when I mentioned @nico002's post. None of you deserved that. I'm sorry for it.

I am not going to comment any further on this Goff/Darnold thing. I've posted Goff's stat line for the last two years, and we all know Sam's from last year. If you see those and feel Darnold is the better QB, fine. You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it.

If you want the last word go ahead, you deserve it especially after my prior post. 

28 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

How come it is not a team sport when we are talking about brady?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I think that the way their roster is constructed makes them the ultimate team. Rather than having superstars everywhere, they have a DEEP team of good (not great) system players that actually buy into the “team first” concept. This compounded with Brady being great makes them a lethal combination.

Without Brady, they are still really good because of the depth of he whole team. This also keeps egos/contracts down since individual production is typically low from this setup which keeps sustainability and makes it easy to replenish the team. Again, this combined with Brady circumventing the salary cap makes a lethal combination. 

12 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, I'll bite. How about you and @Charlie Brown explain this Sam is a better QB thing to me... in the last two seasons Goff threw for 60 tds, 19 ints, and 8500 yards, with a avg QB rating of 101. What exactly has Darnold done that makes him better?

As I said to you in another thread which I will post again.....

In truth I believe Darnold goes through his reads more efficiently than Goff, is far more elusive in the pocket than Goff and much better off platform than Goff. 

Sam is also a  better decision maker and is already a better independent thinker of the game as we can see how McVay has to coddle Goff and what happens when that doesn't work.

SIDE BAR HERE:

The fact that Sam had a poor game against the Pats, which some bring up  the last time the Jets played the Pats, doesn't absolve Goff when he has the far better skill position players and a much better OL.  Why it doesn't look like it at times is because Goff is like a statue back there.   A statue........

And I will double down and say.... :) 

I truly believe that if Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold were out there in yesterday's SB game that because of what I mentioned above they would have played better than Goff did.

I only mention Mayfield to say that I was not a fan of Goff coming out and I am not a fan of his play now.

32 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm not happy about the tone my last post to you had. I let frustration with some others on a different thread discussing the same topic leak out into posts where I replied to you, @HawkeyeJet, and when I mentioned @nico002's post. None of you deserved that. I'm sorry for it.

I am not going to comment any further on this Goff/Darnold thing. I've posted Goff's stat line for the last two years, and we all know Sam's from last year. If you see those and feel Darnold is the better QB, fine. You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it.

If you want the last word go ahead, you deserve it especially after my prior post. 

No problem, no big deal..understood.

This might be construed as me wanting to have the last word, but I don’t.

Im a big Jets fan, have been all my life, I want to feel great about every player on the roster, especially the QB, but I’m as far from a homer as any fan can be.  I call it like I see it.

I wanted Sanchez to be The Guy as much as any Jet fan.  But I can remember, almost right away, I didn’t like what I was seeing.  Just a bad vibe.  I remember his first game in Houston I remarked to a friend “he looks kind of small back there are they souping up his height and weight?” that was followed by “his arm isn’t that special, but it’s good enough right?”....as I tried to sell myself...but couldn’t.

By the time it became apparent that Sanchez was at best nothing more than a game manager, who couldn’t even hit a back on a swing pass in stride, and the Jets of course, in typical Jet fashion, scared politics, rewarded him with an extension when at that point all could see that, I was totally disgusted.  I didn’t want him as QB, I wanted him off the team, playing him further was wasting everyone’s time.  Similar to my wanting Bowles relieved of his duties after Year 2, along with Maccagnan every day of the week.

Again, I am no homer.  And I’ll say this as objectively as possible....

Sam Darnold IS THE GOODS, you build a team around him  NO ONE is going to want to play the Jets and they’re going to start demanding respect from New England very soon...you just watch.

JJ Watt to Darnold after Darnold did a lot of shredding of Watt’s top rated defense virtually ALL BY HIMSELF....”You’re going to be a GREAT PRO”....man knows what he’s talking about.

Archived