Pats have 12 draft picks in upcoming draft.

Jetster

We're not good enough to worry about the Pats right now and by the time we're good Brady will be gone. As much as it sucks to see them keep winning it really has no bearing on us the way it did in 2001-2010 when we had "good" teams and they were the "great" team often in our way.

We just need to competently build around the QB. By 2020 we should have a shot at the division.

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

There’s a reason (outside of cheating) they keep winning. 

Its not their drafting that's for sure. I guess if you want to spin it that way,  you could say that by drafting 12, they increase their chances of hitting on 2 or 3...

Nobody in the media wants to acknowledge it, but the Pats have not drafted well, outside of a couple notable years. 

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Its not their drafting that's for sure. I guess if you want to spin it that way,  you could say that by drafting 12, they increase their chances of hitting on 2 or 3...

Nobody in the media wants to acknowledge it, but the Pats have not drafted well, outside of a couple notable years. 

They’ve done a lot better then the Jets have. 

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2017/04/ranking_the_top_new_england_pa.html

Unranked: 2015 and 2016

As impactful as young players like Trey Flowers, Shaq Mason, Malcolm Mitchell and Joe Thuney were to the Patriots' latest Super Bowl victory, it's too early to grade the Patriots' latest two draft classes. There appear to be some hits, like Flowers and Mitchell. But we can hardly tell how the class will look as a whole based on the small sample size of performance, so we will avoid ranking them for the purposes of this list.

Brandon Meriweather
(AP PHOTO)
No. 14: 2007

Hits: Brandon Meriweather (1st round)

Misses: Kareem Brown (4th round), Clint Oldenburg (5th round), Justin Rogers (6th round), Mike Richardson (6th round), Justise Hairston (6th round), Corey Hilliard (6th round), Oscar Lua (7th round), Mike Elgin (7th round).

Notes: Brandon Meriweather made two pro bowls with New England and even compiled 12 interceptions over four seasons, which makes him an actual hit for this draft. Aside from him, however, no one else made an impact with the Patriots. Meriweather was also the only player selected before the fourth round. With no late-rounders hitting, that hurt the overall impact of the class.

AFC Champiohship Football
(AP PHOTO)
No. 13: 2006

Hits: Stephen Gostkowski (4th round)

Misses: Laurence Maroney (1st round), Chad Jackson (2nd round), David Thomas (3rd round), Garrett Mills (4th round), Ryan O'Callaghan (5th round), Jeremy Mincey (6th round), Dan Stevenson (6th round), Le Kevin Smith (6th round), Willie Andrews (7th round)

Notes: Considering the fact that Gostkowski is among the top kickers of all time (No. 4 in field goal percentage at 87.1 percent), this draft has at least one big hit. Running back Laurence Maroney and wide receiver Chad Jackson were ultimately disappointing picks in the top two rounds at skill positions, while defensive end Jeremy Mincey didn't find success until he left the organization.

Jerod Mayo
(AP PHOTO)
No. 12: 2008

Hits: Jerod Mayo (1st round), Matt Slater (5th round)

Misses: Terrence Wheatley (2nd round), Shawn Crable (3rd round), Kevin O'Connell (3rd round), Jonathan Wilhite (4th round), Bo Rudd (6th round)

Notes: Mayo was an excellent linebacker for the Patriots over his career, while Slater has become an annual selection to the pro bowl as a special teamer. That duo served as two primary leaders for the Patriots during their time in the league, but the rest of the picks did not make much of an impact with the team.

logan-mankins-7173d8b944904de7.jpg
(AP PHOTO)
No. 11: 2005

Hits: Logan Mankins (1st round), Ellis Hobbs (3rd round), Nick Kaczur (3rd round), James Sanders (4th round), Matt Cassel (7th round)

Misses: Ryan Claridge (5th round), Andy Stokes (7th round)

Notes: Mankins is the prize from this draft class, but Hobbs, Kaczur, Sanders and Cassel were nice depth pieces all from the same year. Mankins finished his career with seven pro bowl selections, while Cassel — a seventh round pick who didn't even start at USC — made one.

julian-edelman-645fb2134b68c24a.jpg
(AP PHOTO)
No. 10: 2009

Hits: Patrick Chung (2nd round), Sebastian Vollmer (2nd round), Julian Edelman (7th round)

Misses: Ron Brace (2nd round), Darius Butler (2nd round), Brandon Tate (3rd round), Tyrone McKenzie (3rd round), Rich Ohrnberger (4th round), George Bussey (5th round), Jake Ingram (6th round), Myron Pryor (6th round), Darryl Richard (7th round)

Notes: This draft would look a lot worse if not for Julian Edelman developing into one of the most productive receivers in Patriots history. Sebastian Vollmer and Patrick Chung have been key pieces in Super Bowl wins as well. However, that is a long list of misses, including two out of four second round picks. This draft could be better.

vince-wilfork-ba857270a4ffccee.jpg
(AP PHOTO)
No. 9: 2004

Hits: Vince Wilfork (1st round), Ben Watson (1st round)

Misses: Marquise Hill (2nd round), Guss Scott (3rd round), Dexter Reid (4th round), Cedric Cobbs (4th round), P.K. Sam (5th round), Christian Morton (7th round)

Notes: Wilfork was one of the best nose tackles in the game during his time, while Watson was a reasonably productive tight end (and the guy that did this). Wilfork is the prize of this list (which does not feature much else), which puts it higher than it otherwise would have been.

jamie-collins-8fb09fe6e214b0b6.jpg
(AP PHOTO)
No. 8: 2013

Hits: Jamie Collins (2nd round), Logan Ryan (3rd round), Duron Harmon (3rd round)

Misses: Aaron Dobson (2nd round), Josh Boyce (4th round), Michael Buchanan (7th round), Steve Beauharnais (7th round)

Notes: Collins and Ryan are already no longer on the team, but considering where the Patriots were picking from, those are three impressive hits. Ryan and Harmon bolstered the secondary as the Patriots captured two Super Bowls in three years, while Collins developed into one of the league's top linebackers. Dobson and Boyce were misses at the wide receiver position, but this was a very good draft on the defensive side of the ball.

nate-solder-dcd0f7c99c622668.jpg
(AP PHOTO)
No. 7: 2011

Hits: Nate Solder (1st round), Shane Vereen (3rd round), Stevan Ridley (3rd round), Marcus Cannon (5th round)

Misses: Ras-I Dowling (2nd round), Ryan Mallett (3rd round), Lee Smith (5th round), Markell Carter (6th round), Malcolm Williams (7th round)

Notes: With Marcus Cannon developing into a top right tackle in the league, this draft class looks more and more impressive. The Patriots solidified their offensive line for their Super Bowl LI win, and grabbed two running backs that helped their versatility in the backfield. The Ras-I Dowling and Ryan Mallett picks could've been better, but overall this was a good draft.

asante-samuel-brian-westbrook-edc8808405
(AP PHOTO)
No. 6: 2003

Hits: Ty Warren (1st round), Eugene Wilson (2nd round), Dan Klecko (4th round), Asante Samuel (4th round), Dan Koppen (5th round), Tully Banta-Cain (7th round)

Misses: Bethel Johnson (2nd round), Kliff Kingsbury (6th round), Spencer Nead (7th round), Ethan Kelley (7th round)

Notes: The Patriots had a ton of success in terms of building their roster in this draft. We have six players listed as hits, including longtime center Dan Koppen in the 5th round and four-time Pro Bowler Asante Samuel in the fourth round. Bethel Johnson was the worst miss in this draft, and he even provided some value as a kick returner.

deion-branch-d4983acb7bfa3904.jpg
(AP PHOTO)
No. 5: 2002

Hits: Daniel Graham (1st round), Deion Branch (2nd round), Jarvis Green (4th round), David Givens (7th round)

Misses: Rohan Davey (4th round), Antwoine Womack (7th round)

Notes: Davey was a backup quarterback, while Womack was a 7th round pick, meaning the Patriots' misses hardly impacted them. Meanwhile, they drafted two strong wide receivers, including a Super Bowl MVP, and impact players at the tight end and defensive end positions. Not bad for a year in which the Patriots only had six picks.

donta-hightower-435aaf5a4fc809d4.jpg
(AP PHOTO)
No. 4: 2012

Hits: Chandler Jones (1st round), Dont'a Hightower (1st round), Nate Ebner (6th round)

Misses: Tavon Wilson (2nd round), Jake Bequette (3rd round), Alfonzo Dennard (7th round), Jeremy Ebert (7th round)

Notes: Dont'a Hightower has made game-changing plays in both of the Patriots' recent Super Bowl victories, while Chandler Jones has developed into one of the top sack artists in the league. Meanwhile, Nate Ebner was named second-team All-Pro as a special teamer this past year. The Tavon Wilson pick was suspect, and the Jake Bequette pick didn't work out, but the two first-rounders worked out quite well for the Patriots.

richard-seymour-chris-samuels--f338d3a99
(AP PHOTO)
No. 3: 2001

Hits: Richard Seymour (1st round), Matt Light (2nd round)

Misses: Brock Williams (3rd round), Kenyatta Jones (4th round), Jabari Holloway (4th round), Hakim Akbar (5th round), Arther Love (6th round), Leonard Myers (6th round), Owen Pochman (7th round), T.J. Turner (7th round)

Notes: Seymour was one of the best defensive linemen in Patriots history, finishing his career with 57.5 sacks. Meanwhile, Light was a three-time pro bowler and one time first-team All-Pro. The rest of the draft didn't produce the same level of talent, but the first two picks were successful.

rob-gronkowski-bfa2766ae3042a1d.jpg
(AP PHOTO)
No. 2: 2010

Hits: Devin McCourty (1st round), Rob Gronkowski (2nd round), Brandon Spikes (2nd round), Aaron Hernandez (4th round)

Misses: Jermaine Cunningham (2nd round), Taylor Price (3rd round), Zoltan Mesko (5th round), Ted Larsen (6th round), Thomas Welch (7th round), Brandon Deaderick (7th round), Kade Weston (7th round), Zac Robinson (7th round)

Notes: Devin McCourty and Rob Gronkowski are arguably the two best current Patriots aside from Tom Brady, and Gronkowski is among the best tight ends to ever play the game. Meanwhile, Aaron Hernandez counts as a hit based on his on-field performance, though he did not have a long career after being found guilty of murder. Brandon Spikes was a productive run-stuffer for four years with the Patriots as well.

tom-bradybill-belichick-36b2e6d42c83ff53
(AP PHOTO)
No. 1: 2000

Hits: Tom Brady (6th round), Patrick Pass (7th round)

Misses: Adrian Klemm (2nd round), J.R. Redmond (3rd round), Greg Randall (4th round), Dave Stachelski (5th round), Jeff Marriott (5th round), Antwan Harris (6th round), David Nugent (6th round), Casey Tisdale (7th round)

Notes: This draft is Bill Belichick's first with the Patriots. Why do they not have a first-round pick? Because New England used it to get Belichick. Meanwhile, they drafted the greatest quarterback of all time in the sixth round. With Brady alone, this would probably be the Patriots' best draft class. Add in Belichick, and it's an easy No. 1 choice. Also Patrick Pass was decent.

47 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

They’ve done a lot better then the Jets have. 

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2017/04/ranking_the_top_new_england_pa.html

lol, better than the Jets? I've taken sh*ts that draft better than us. 

way too much to read at work -- but at first blush it's what i said -- they pick 10, hit on 2... that's not great at all compared to CIN, BAL, GB, etc who hit on over 50% of their picks more often than not. 

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

way too much to read at work -- but at first blush it's what i said -- they pick 10, hit on 2... that's not great at all compared to CIN, BAL, GB, etc who hit on over 50% of their picks more often than not. 

I think it's really going to be fascinating to see how Mayock does with the draft now that he has a truly vested interest in grading all these guys.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

OMG! No team is a perennial contender without a QB. Don't forget the Pats won 11 games in the season he missed. That is not the accomplishment of an untalented roster. Put Brady on another team and he'd still be great, but not as great as he is with BB and the players he puts around Brady. It's funny because you dismiss the talent around Brady and I think Brady would say he has the best two way TE in the NFL, a top 10 WR, and a top 5 O line. 

As to the SB win. Did Brady block Suh and Donald? Did Brady catch the goal line pass to Gronk?  Did Brady get inside Edelman's feet and make him impossible to cover? Did Brady stop the Rams from running? Did Brady pressure Goff? Did Brady blanket the Rams receivers. Brady wasn't great in that superbowl. He was good and didn't make any game changing mistakes.  A Pats D that gave up 3 points and a WR who was impossible to cover won that SB. Chock up a SB win for that talentless group surrounding the great Tom Brady.

They were 16-0 the year before and the schedule was much weaker in 2008.  Not to mention they missed the playoffs with Cassell who would lead KC to a division title.

I'm not saying they are the '76 Bucs and have no talent but they get way too much credit for drafting (BB gets wasy too much credit for everything) because of the way Brady makes up for mistakes.

Just like Weller, that WR who was impossible to cover wouldn't do anything anywhere else.  The greatest QB of all time is why he succeeds.  A year ago without that WR he led his O to 33 points in a super bowl loss (where was all the defensive talent that day?).  It doesn't matter who is around him, they will have a chance to win.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So they dont draft well and Belichick doesnt coach well.

Amazing that they win so often.  Because its all not Brady

I didn't say any of those things but their drafting and BBs coaching are overrated.  Because something or someone may be overrated does not mean they suck.  Tom Brady is the key to all of it, without him Championships would not be possible in NE.  It doesn't matter what talent is around him and we have seen many coaches succeed with him only to fail without him including BB.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Getting two hits in the draft is about average for the league, and the Pats are closer to three hits on average.  Again considering the draft position and the fact they’ve had so many draft picks docked over the years, that’s a pretty strong result.

More than the raw pick success (which statisticians have argued is mostly a crapshoot) has been the teachable moments in how they game the comp pick system and how they manage to turn assets into a never ending stream of draft picks.  I wish that our organization could develop players like that and turn them loose onto the FA market where they get inflated deals that generate tons of third round picks.

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Now this makes me sad. I think they also have 2 twos & 4 threes? Correct me if I'm wrong. 7 picks in the top 100. Jets are gonna have to do a better job in player management no matter who our QB & Coach are. I can tell you this, I'm already against giving that slug Leo Williams 14.2 million. We could find 5 vets in free agency for half that price & get 2 sacks and stop the run.

1. It helps that they have not had to draft a QB in 20 years.

2. They are the ultimate example of how to manage a roster/organization in the salary cap/free agency era. No one does it better.

3. It helps to have the GOAT Head Coach and GOAT Quarterback.

11 minutes ago, Hael said:

Getting two hits in the draft is about average for the league, and the Pats are closer to three hits on average.  Again considering the draft position and the fact they’ve had so many draft picks docked over the years, that’s a pretty strong result.

More than the raw pick success (which statisticians have argued is mostly a crapshoot) has been the teachable moments in how they game the comp pick system and how they manage to turn assets into a never ending stream of draft picks.  I wish that our organization could develop players like that and turn them loose onto the FA market where they get inflated deals that generate tons of third round picks.

I disagree. Hitting on 2 is low, hell I could hit on three or four a year and I do.

But there are some nuances in there, like you mentioned about knowing when to let players go to acquire comp picks as well as when you have that volume of rookies coming in every year you’ve got a push others out which probably skew some of the numbers.

4 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Bradys base salary in 2018 was 15 million.. Over the years he has always taken less money to help the team.. Mevis he is not..LOL

Easy to take less when your team is circumventing the salary cap and paying the TB12 corp. millions for their avocado ice cream. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I didn't say any of those things but their drafting and BBs coaching are overrated.  Because something or someone may be overrated does not mean they suck.  Tom Brady is the key to all of it, without him Championships would not be possible in NE.  It doesn't matter what talent is around him and we have seen many coaches succeed with him only to fail without him including BB.

Does Brady win 6 SBs without Bellichick?

9 hours ago, New York Mick said:

They’ve had a lot of bust but they’ve also hit on enough players to make a difference.  

2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, (2015, 2016 maybe) 

They drafted someone that was a contributor to their success in each of those drafts. They might not be getting big name players but they’re solid. 

Outside of Brady* the only pick I remember them making and having a consistent impact is vince wilfork*. Sure, they're solid enough, but they aren't draft masters by any means.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Easy to take less when your team is circumventing the salary cap and paying the TB12 corp. millions for their avocado ice cream. 

It's easy to take less when your wife is worth 360 million by herself.. I wonder if she had Tom sign a prenup??

39 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Does Brady win 6 SBs without Bellichick?

I couldn't tell you but what I can tell you is bill belichick wouldn't be a head coach today if he didn't get lucky with Brady.  He would have been fired by NE within a year or so.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Didnt use the word sucks.  You're not getting is no one will agree with you that Belichick's coaching is overrated.  Of course you need a QB to win.  So did just about every team that has won before and will moving forward.  If youre comparing Belichick to other HCs, they all have had QBs

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Didnt use the word sucks.  You're not getting is no one will agree with you that Belichick's coaching is overrated.  Of course you need a QB to win.  So did just about every team that has won before and will moving forward.  If youre comparing Belichick to other HCs, they all have had QBs

All the great HCs that have has the opportunity to coach multiple QBs have succeeded with them.  Parcells made 3 SBs without a great QB, he made the playoffs with Quincy Carter, how give won 3 SBs without a single HOFer, Shula made a SB with David Woodley and made by SBs with 4 different QBs (2 non HOFers), Halas, brown made championships with multiple QBs.  Only BB was a complete failure as a HC without the greatest QB of all time.

With all that said I do believe he developed into a great coach thanks to Brady buying him time but I cannot put him in the greatest of all time discussion when he could only succeed with the greatest QB of all time.

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I am pretty sure that they don't have as many picks, as high as the OP stated.  Everyone seems to be taking it as gospel.  I don't.

As far as I can tell, they have 7 picks.  I think their entire draft is worth less in value points than the Jets #3 overall.  They have the last pick in the 1st (#32) and 2nd (#64).  They have Bears 2nd (#56) from the Anthony Miller deal.  They got the Lions 3rd (#73) for Da'Shaun Hand.  They traded their own 3rd to the Browns for Danny Shelton.  That is it for the top 100.  They have the last pick in the 4th (#127? These numbers will be lower based on comp picks).  They traded their 5th for Josh Gordon and their 6th for Bademosi.  They get back a 7th in the Gordon deal - not sure if it is the Browns, Ravens or Jags, the Browns have the rights to all three.  Then they pick Mr. Irrelevant.

They have 1 1st, 2 2nds, 1 3rd, 1 4th, 2 7ths.  That totals 7 picks.  

You ******* people will be skeptical of the moon landings and the curvature of the earth, but take @Jetster's word as gospel regarding how many picks the Pats have?  **** them.  Their draft position sucks. 

I think they draft okay.  As a stacked team with an automatic core, they can treat every pick like lotto, going for guys with injury concerns, from small schools, switching positions, guys with certain traits that might be an anomaly.  Perfect example is Edelman, fidget QB from Kent State with an insane 3 cone.  Ones that didn't work out include Dominique Easley (Curtis Warriors!) who missed two seasons with ACL tears at @JiF's alma mater.  They can swing for the fences because they don't have to make need picks, like replacing their overpriced DE (2 years into his big contract) with a 3rd round pick who did well at the Senior Bowl. 

14 hours ago, nyjunc said:

It's just amazing how that same HC wasn't able to do this without the QB

Who are the coaches winning Super Bowls with bad QB's?

I get you're running this Brady playing 1 on 11 thing, while also compensating for a bad HC disguised as a DC, but the data says otherwise. Brady hasnt been leaps and bounds better than other elite QB's in the league. He's made his share of mistakes along the way. Hell he was picked off on his first pass in the SB, also fumbled, and Dee Ford bailed him out in the title game. He spotted the Falcons 7 in their last SB win. Fumbled on the final possession against Philly. 

This playoff he wasnt touched and the Pats defense just held a top 5 offense to 3 points. Their last Super Bowl win the held the Falcons to 21. He's the greatest ever, but Belichick's ability to coach is honestly insane. Calling him a defensive coordinator is flat out embarrassing.

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Who are the coaches winning Super Bowls with bad QB's?

I get you're running this Brady playing 1 on 11 thing, while also compensating for a bad HC disguised as a DC, but the data says otherwise. Brady hasnt been leaps and bounds better than other elite QB's in the league. He's made his share of mistakes along the way. Hell he was picked off on his first pass in the SB, also fumbled, and Dee Ford bailed him out in the title game. He spotted the Falcons 7 in their last SB win. Fumbled on the final possession against Philly. 

This playoff he wasnt touched and the Pats defense just held a top 5 offense to 3 points. Their last Super Bowl win the held the Falcons to 21. He's the greatest ever, but Belichick's ability to coach is honestly insane. Calling him a defensive coordinator is flat out embarrassing.

It's not about winning super bowls, he's behind mostly terrible without the greatest QB of all time.  5 losing seasons in 7 years.

You are incorrect, Brady is far and away the best QB of all time.  No one is close enough to debate it.

NEs D won this super bowl, for once they bailed out Brady when every other time it's been the opposite but let's not forget Brady just bailed out the D that allowed 31 2nd half points in the AFC championship game.  It was a rare off day for Brady in the SB, luckily the opposing QB was scared out if his mind.

Belichick is a great coach, you cannot be considered the best when you failed for 7 seasons without Brady and all your success is with him.  Lombardi never had another QB, BB had numerous other QBs and all of them that starterd more than a game or two) had more success without him than with him.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, Savage69 said:

Bradys base salary in 2018 was 15 million.. Over the years he has always taken less money to help the team.. Mevis he is not..LOL

He gets paid under the table from the Pats with his TB12 company.

Who basically sell protein shakes for $30,000 a serving to the Pats ?

Archived