Jets owe Spencer Long 3M$ guaranteed if he i lsn’t cut by tomorrow(UPDATE: Long has been released)

Patriot Killa

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darnold needs protection.  See Alex Smith (with a decent line).  If Darnold gets severely injured, the Jets are not relevant for a very long time.

Replace most of Carpenter, Harrison, Dozier and Qvale  with FAs and draft picks.  

Do the same next year for most of Beachum, Winters, Shell and Long.  

OL spend is high in 2019, but QB spend should not be. 

Hopefully the OL would be 3/5 first contracts in 2020.  at least 2/5.  Right now it is 1/5.  That is why the Jets OL spend is 10/32 and is still not good.  

I'll be stunned if they let Long walk.   He's actually a pretty good G/C.  IMO all the hatred being vented toward Long should be directed toward Bowles.

Early last season Long got his right hand mashed between his helmet, and a defender's helmet.  Long's hand got crushed, and he dislocated 2 fingers on his snapping hand.  He couldn't snap the football, and should have been benched for injury immediately.  He was doing a good job blocking as a C, so Bowles left him in at C, even though he couldn't snap the football for the next 5 weeks.  In pressers Bowles insisted there was nothing wrong with him. 

After Darnold's 4 turnover game, against Miami I think, in which Darnold injured his foot, Bowles made the switch at C.  Long played pretty well at G the rest of the season.  Remarkably enough when Darnold returned from injury he played very well.  Amazing how much not having to chase the football helped a rookie QB.  LOL

Long should be back.  Think it depends what the Jets do in FA whether he plays G or C   

Keep him. I felt so bad for that guy. Bowles kept trotting him out there at center, even though he could hardly snap the ball. didn't complain, just did the best he could. performed well at Lg in pass protection. not much of a run blocker. Good depth, at least.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I'll be stunned if they let Long walk.   He's actually a pretty good G/C.  IMO all the hatred being vented toward Long should be directed toward Bowles.

Early last season Long got his right hand mashed between his helmet, and a defender's helmet.  Long's hand got crushed, and he dislocated 2 fingers on his snapping hand.  He couldn't snap the football, and should have been benched for injury immediately.  He was doing a good job blocking as a C, so Bowles left him in at C, even though he couldn't snap the football for the next 5 weeks.  In pressers Bowles insisted there was nothing wrong with him. 

After Darnold's 4 turnover game, against Miami I think, in which Darnold injured his foot, Bowles made the switch at C.  Long played pretty well at G the rest of the season.  Remarkably enough when Darnold returned from injury he played very well.  Amazing how much not having to chase the football helped a rookie QB.  LOL

Long should be back.  Think it depends what the Jets do in FA whether he plays G or C   

This.  I dont think Long is a particularly good C.  Average to below average who might be a better G.  It sucks he's always banged up but you could do worse. 

That said, his snapping problem was 100% on Todd Bowles being an absolute moron.   The highlight of the season for me was when Long snapped like his 12th ball into the dirt vs. Miami and the camera scrolled over to a perfectly healthy and capable Jonotthan Harrison standing on the sideline watching the debacle take place and Buster Skrine looks at him and rolls his eyes so hard to basically say, "bro, this coaching staff are the biggest **** wads on the planet just throwing games away by refusing to put you in, sorry big fellas, this is straight lunacy".

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

This.  I dont think Long is a particularly good C.  Average to below average who might be a better G.  It sucks he's always banged up but you could do worse. 

That said, his snapping problem was 100% on Todd Bowles being an absolute moron.   The highlight of the season for me was when Long snapped like his 12th ball into the dirt vs. Miami and the camera scrolled over to a perfectly healthy and capable Jonotthan Harrison standing on the sideline watching the debacle take place and Buster Skrine looks at him and rolls his eyes so hard to basically say, "bro, this coaching staff are the biggest **** wads on the planet just throwing games away by refusing to put you in, sorry big fellas, this is straight lunacy".

The majority of our players had way better coaching in college, and it's not even close. I hope to God that this changes under Gase.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  It’s amazing that it took Bowles so long to make that change.  Even the announcers were like what’s going on?  

I'd restructure. 

Make him take $2M less. $1M is better than $0. Jets have leverage as Long WILL NOT get a better deal in the open market after this horrendous season he had. It is a weak Oline market, but he did himself no favors in improving his stock to the other NFL teams. If he IS signed it would be as a back-up and later on when injuries pile up in TC. 

I'd offer a restructure and he'll take it if his agent is smart

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

I'd restructure. 

Make him take $2M less. $1M is better than $0. Jets have leverage as Long WILL NOT get a better deal in the open market after this horrendous season he had. It is a weak Oline market, but he did himself no favors in improving his stock to the other NFL teams. If he IS signed it would be as a back-up and later on when injuries pile up in TC. 

I'd offer a restructure and he'll take it if his agent is smart

How are you going to that?  His roster bonus kicks in tomorrow, that $3.5 million guaranteed.  Why would he take less at that point?   The Jets have zero leverage.  

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He should never play center for the nj jets again, as in never. Guard?  fine.  Center no way in hell.

???  Disagree. Did you forget the fact that he had broken fingers and couldn't snap yet the moronic CS kept him in at center ?

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How are you going to that?  His roster bonus kicks in tomorrow, that $3.5 million guaranteed.  Why would he take less at that point?   The Jets have zero leverage.  

Exactly plus we can't find any one in FA better than him for $1 mil. Ridiculous .

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Exactly plus we can't find any one in FA better than him for $1 mil. Ridiculous .

That, and there are only 4 O-Linemen with any kind of experience on the roster.  Cutting Long only creates another hole that would cost more to fill than paying Long to begin with.   Like him, hate him, he’s here for this year.   

9 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

???  Disagree. Did you forget the fact that he had broken fingers and couldn't snap yet the moronic CS kept him in at center ?

The stigma is there, if i was darnold and this guy went back to center i'd be worrying from snap #1

As soon as Jonathon harrision took over thinks went much better.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The stigma is there, if i was darnold and this guy went back to center i'd be worrying from snap #1

As soon as Jonathon harrision took over thinks went much better.

Yes I agree .. because he was snapping the ball WITHOUT broken fingers. Bowles was/IS a mOron.

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

34 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That, and there are only 4 O-Linemen with any kind of experience on the roster.  Cutting Long only creates another hole that would cost more to fill than paying Long to begin with.   Like him, hate him, he’s here for this year.   

All valid points, but IMO, I think the circumstances and sudden timing WOULD give the Jets leverage in this matter. He will NOT see that money in FA after his sub-par season (yes, he was injured and can serve as a G, I agree). The Jets DO NOT have the monopoly $ that is being falsely circulated and still have to extract value from non-premier positions. Long is serviceable but not at THAT $ layout AND with a $6.5M cap savings w/$0 dead money if he's cut. He's the 13th highest paid Center in 2019 @ $6.85M, would you say he's in the TOP 15 of starting centers in the NFL? Even to keep him at LG, the 13-14th rated guys (Iupati and our Carpenter) earned b/t $4.75-5M for 2019; Long is worth $6.5M as a LG?!?!? I disagree. 

YES, the Jets are thin at the position, but I believe the cap savings and talent upgrade (draft pick or FA) would provide BETTER value and resource allocation than paying the $3.5M Bonus and $6.5M ADDED space if he rejects the restructure.  

Jets have leverage and should force Long's hand to restructure. He'd take it b/c there is NO market for his services at the $ he's earning now. Jets should shave him down to $4.85M. 

JMO. 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Very well said, and I completely agree.  The crazy thing is that once he moved over to LG, I'd argue he was the Jets best OL for the second half of the season.  If they were set at all of the other positions, then it might be a different story, but he showed himself to be a solid starter on a OL that has plenty of work to be done.  While ideally he'd stick at G, he has the flexibility to play multiple positions, which has some very real value to it.  There's no reason they should even think about cutting Long right now, and if they somehow end up in a situation after FA and the draft is over that he's not even set to be a starter any longer, that's some damn good news and a $3M insurance policy was still nice to have.

56 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Why that idiot Bowles kept him in at center is beyond me.

Easy answer.  It’s why he never benched Revis when he was straight up jogging, going “Olay” on tackles, many other examples.  Bowles would always play the Vet, no matter what, doing that is an automatic built in excuse...”GM paid him, I play him...not my fault”.  Job security.  Couldn’t care less about the organization. That’s what Bowles was always about.  He even snapped at a reporter who asked “why are you still playing Fitzpatrick, you’re mathematically eliminated? shouldn’t the organization see what they at least have in Petty and Hackenberg?  Fitzpatrick is obviously not coming back next year”.

”You don’t know that!”

Then I hear from Polian on Sirius that none of the disaster that was Bowles tenure was his fault and also he is “very adaptable”.

Theyll be paying that dolt 6 YEARS TOTAL, should have been fired after Year 2...Mets have a better deal still paying Bobby Bonilla.

Archived