Jump to content
Patriot Killa

Jets owe Spencer Long 3M$ guaranteed if he i lsn’t cut by tomorrow(UPDATE: Long has been released)

Recommended Posts

Keep him as the Left Guard, find a new Center in FA or the draft.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to keep him.  There are like only 4 O-linemen on the roster with any kind of experience.  He’s safe for 2019.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the cap we have I think we keep him. At worst he'll be a backup lineman this year and get cut next year if he doesn't perform.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep him. That 3 mil isn't a big deal and we need much depth at that position. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darnold needs protection.  See Alex Smith (with a decent line).  If Darnold gets severely injured, the Jets are not relevant for a very long time.

Replace most of Carpenter, Harrison, Dozier and Qvale  with FAs and draft picks.  

Do the same next year for most of Beachum, Winters, Shell and Long.  

OL spend is high in 2019, but QB spend should not be. 

Hopefully the OL would be 3/5 first contracts in 2020.  at least 2/5.  Right now it is 1/5.  That is why the Jets OL spend is 10/32 and is still not good.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep him. I felt so bad for that guy. Bowles kept trotting him out there at center, even though he could hardly snap the ball. didn't complain, just did the best he could. performed well at Lg in pass protection. not much of a run blocker. Good depth, at least.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Do we take that small 3mill hit or do we cut him?

IMHO it's an easy choice. We give him the $3 mil and bring him back.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, peebag said:

I believe the NFL requires that you field some type of a team for the regular season.

 

Can't cut everyone.

 

 

Just the entire OL is OK

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JiF said:

This.  I dont think Long is a particularly good C.  Average to below average who might be a better G.  It sucks he's always banged up but you could do worse. 

That said, his snapping problem was 100% on Todd Bowles being an absolute moron.   The highlight of the season for me was when Long snapped like his 12th ball into the dirt vs. Miami and the camera scrolled over to a perfectly healthy and capable Jonotthan Harrison standing on the sideline watching the debacle take place and Buster Skrine looks at him and rolls his eyes so hard to basically say, "bro, this coaching staff are the biggest **** wads on the planet just throwing games away by refusing to put you in, sorry big fellas, this is straight lunacy".

 

The majority of our players had way better coaching in college, and it's not even close. I hope to God that this changes under Gase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should never play center for the nj jets again, as in never. Guard?  fine.  Center no way in hell.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JiF said:

This.  I dont think Long is a particularly good C.  Average to below average who might be a better G.  It sucks he's always banged up but you could do worse. 

That said, his snapping problem was 100% on Todd Bowles being an absolute moron.   The highlight of the season for me was when Long snapped like his 12th ball into the dirt vs. Miami and the camera scrolled over to a perfectly healthy and capable Jonotthan Harrison standing on the sideline watching the debacle take place and Buster Skrine looks at him and rolls his eyes so hard to basically say, "bro, this coaching staff are the biggest **** wads on the planet just throwing games away by refusing to put you in, sorry big fellas, this is straight lunacy".

 

Agreed.  It’s amazing that it took Bowles so long to make that change.  Even the announcers were like what’s going on?  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd restructure. 

Make him take $2M less. $1M is better than $0. Jets have leverage as Long WILL NOT get a better deal in the open market after this horrendous season he had. It is a weak Oline market, but he did himself no favors in improving his stock to the other NFL teams. If he IS signed it would be as a back-up and later on when injuries pile up in TC. 

I'd offer a restructure and he'll take it if his agent is smart

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Spencer Long is a decent center when his fingers aren't broken and he's even better at left guard

 

Why that idiot Bowles kept him in at center is beyond me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

I'd restructure. 

Make him take $2M less. $1M is better than $0. Jets have leverage as Long WILL NOT get a better deal in the open market after this horrendous season he had. It is a weak Oline market, but he did himself no favors in improving his stock to the other NFL teams. If he IS signed it would be as a back-up and later on when injuries pile up in TC. 

I'd offer a restructure and he'll take it if his agent is smart

How are you going to that?  His roster bonus kicks in tomorrow, that $3.5 million guaranteed.  Why would he take less at that point?   The Jets have zero leverage.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He should never play center for the nj jets again, as in never. Guard?  fine.  Center no way in hell.

???  Disagree. Did you forget the fact that he had broken fingers and couldn't snap yet the moronic CS kept him in at center ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How are you going to that?  His roster bonus kicks in tomorrow, that $3.5 million guaranteed.  Why would he take less at that point?   The Jets have zero leverage.  

Kind of an oxymoron, no?😎

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How are you going to that?  His roster bonus kicks in tomorrow, that $3.5 million guaranteed.  Why would he take less at that point?   The Jets have zero leverage.  

Exactly plus we can't find any one in FA better than him for $1 mil. Ridiculous .

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Exactly plus we can't find any one in FA better than him for $1 mil. Ridiculous .

That, and there are only 4 O-Linemen with any kind of experience on the roster.  Cutting Long only creates another hole that would cost more to fill than paying Long to begin with.   Like him, hate him, he’s here for this year.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd keep him. He's a solid starter at guard and can play center when his fingers aren't busted. Even if you just keep him for depth, his versatility has some value.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long for $6mm on a team with $100mm of cap space that already counts that $6mm is about the absolute least of the Jets' problems.  

I would put Winters and Beachum there too.  

Williams-that is a different story.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

???  Disagree. Did you forget the fact that he had broken fingers and couldn't snap yet the moronic CS kept him in at center ?

The stigma is there, if i was darnold and this guy went back to center i'd be worrying from snap #1

As soon as Jonathon harrision took over thinks went much better.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's pretty clear he's not being cut. I know everyone hates the guy for the bad snaps but the reality is we don't have enough talent/depth on the line to be cutting capable guys, JAG or not.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The stigma is there, if i was darnold and this guy went back to center i'd be worrying from snap #1

As soon as Jonathon harrision took over thinks went much better.

Yes I agree .. because he was snapping the ball WITHOUT broken fingers. Bowles was/IS a mOron.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Do we take that small 3mill hit or do we cut him?

I have no idea what they will do, but I thought he played well when they moved him to guard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How are you going to that?  His roster bonus kicks in tomorrow, that $3.5 million guaranteed.  Why would he take less at that point?   The Jets have zero leverage.  

 

34 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Exactly plus we can't find any one in FA better than him for $1 mil. Ridiculous .

 

30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That, and there are only 4 O-Linemen with any kind of experience on the roster.  Cutting Long only creates another hole that would cost more to fill than paying Long to begin with.   Like him, hate him, he’s here for this year.   

 

All valid points, but IMO, I think the circumstances and sudden timing WOULD give the Jets leverage in this matter. He will NOT see that money in FA after his sub-par season (yes, he was injured and can serve as a G, I agree). The Jets DO NOT have the monopoly $ that is being falsely circulated and still have to extract value from non-premier positions. Long is serviceable but not at THAT $ layout AND with a $6.5M cap savings w/$0 dead money if he's cut. He's the 13th highest paid Center in 2019 @ $6.85M, would you say he's in the TOP 15 of starting centers in the NFL? Even to keep him at LG, the 13-14th rated guys (Iupati and our Carpenter) earned b/t $4.75-5M for 2019; Long is worth $6.5M as a LG?!?!? I disagree. 

YES, the Jets are thin at the position, but I believe the cap savings and talent upgrade (draft pick or FA) would provide BETTER value and resource allocation than paying the $3.5M Bonus and $6.5M ADDED space if he rejects the restructure.  

Jets have leverage and should force Long's hand to restructure. He'd take it b/c there is NO market for his services at the $ he's earning now. Jets should shave him down to $4.85M. 

JMO. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flgreen said:

I'll be stunned if they let Long walk.   He's actually a pretty good G/C.  IMO all the hatred being vented toward Long should be directed toward Bowles.

Early last season Long got his right hand mashed between his helmet, and a defender's helmet.  Long's hand got crushed, and he dislocated 2 fingers on his snapping hand.  He couldn't snap the football, and should have been benched for injury immediately.  He was doing a good job blocking as a C, so Bowles left him in at C, even though he couldn't snap the football for the next 5 weeks.  In pressers Bowles insisted there was nothing wrong with him. 

After Darnold's 4 turnover game, against Miami I think, in which Darnold injured his foot, Bowles made the switch at C.  Long played pretty well at G the rest of the season.  Remarkably enough when Darnold returned from injury he played very well.  Amazing how much not having to chase the football helped a rookie QB.  LOL

Long should be back.  Think it depends what the Jets do in FA whether he plays G or C   

Very well said, and I completely agree.  The crazy thing is that once he moved over to LG, I'd argue he was the Jets best OL for the second half of the season.  If they were set at all of the other positions, then it might be a different story, but he showed himself to be a solid starter on a OL that has plenty of work to be done.  While ideally he'd stick at G, he has the flexibility to play multiple positions, which has some very real value to it.  There's no reason they should even think about cutting Long right now, and if they somehow end up in a situation after FA and the draft is over that he's not even set to be a starter any longer, that's some damn good news and a $3M insurance policy was still nice to have.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Why that idiot Bowles kept him in at center is beyond me.

Easy answer.  It’s why he never benched Revis when he was straight up jogging, going “Olay” on tackles, many other examples.  Bowles would always play the Vet, no matter what, doing that is an automatic built in excuse...”GM paid him, I play him...not my fault”.  Job security.  Couldn’t care less about the organization. That’s what Bowles was always about.  He even snapped at a reporter who asked “why are you still playing Fitzpatrick, you’re mathematically eliminated? shouldn’t the organization see what they at least have in Petty and Hackenberg?  Fitzpatrick is obviously not coming back next year”.

”You don’t know that!”

Then I hear from Polian on Sirius that none of the disaster that was Bowles tenure was his fault and also he is “very adaptable”.

Theyll be paying that dolt 6 YEARS TOTAL, should have been fired after Year 2...Mets have a better deal still paying Bobby Bonilla.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social

×