Jets owe Spencer Long 3M$ guaranteed if he i lsn’t cut by tomorrow(UPDATE: Long has been released)

Patriot Killa

46 minutes ago, peebag said:

well according to another thread - here's the current OL roster

Offensive Line 

68 - Kelvin Beachum 6"3" 303  SMU (T)  
    72 - Brandon Shell 6'5" 325 South Carolina (2018 Injured Reserve)
    67 - Brian Winters 6'4" 320 Kent State (G)  
    79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (G/T)    (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    78 - Jonotthan Harrison 6"4" 300 Florida (C/G)    (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    70 - Dakota Dozier 6'4" 313 Furman (C/G/T)    (UNRESTRICTED FA)
     69 - Benjamin Braden 6'6" 335 Michigan (G/T)  (Exclusive Rights FA)
     65 - Eric Smith 6'4" 308 Virginia (T)
    71 - Ben Ijalana 6'4" 322 Villanova (T/G)  (2018 Injured Reserve)   (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    77 - James Carpenter 6'5 321 Alabama (G) (2018 Injured Reserve)   (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    76 - Dieugot Joseph 6'6" 300 FIU (OT) (Reserve/Future Contract)
     64 - Jon Toth   6'5" 310 Kentucky (C) (Reserve/Future Contract)
     61 - Spencer Long 6'5" 318 Nebraska  (C/G)  *** RELEASED ***

Wholly Geebuz - if we don't dedicate a lot of next years resources to the OL, Sam's a dead man walking.

After seeing how the Colts completely turned their offense around by investing heavily in the offensive line I don't know how the Jets could ignore that position again. I expect them to go hard after a top Guard and Center. Re-work Beachums deal for more cap space extend Shell and also address o-line with 1 of their first 3 draft picks. Protecting Darnold and surrounding him with talent should be the goal of the off-season.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I don't get how that's funny. He's not worth $6.5 million but they may get him back for $2 million and just saved $4.5 million for the same guy. I'm not saying they should do that but if they did it would make complete business sense.

Zero chance he signs for 2 million. He’ll get picked up by someone for more. 

19 minutes ago, choon328 said:

After seeing how the Colts completely turned their offense around by investing heavily in the offensive line I don't know how the Jets could ignore that position again. I expect them to go hard after a top Guard and Center. Re-work Beachums deal for more cap space extend Shell and also address o-line with 1 of their first 3 draft picks. Protecting Darnold and surrounding him with talent should be the goal of the off-season.

We won't know how well Shell will recover or if he'll be ready for training camp.

I think Long signs for $4million+ with someone.  

These are the OL that the Jets currently have on the roster.  Pollack must have not liked Long's tape.

Offensive Line 

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

All valid points, but IMO, I think the circumstances and sudden timing WOULD give the Jets leverage in this matter. He will NOT see that money in FA after his sub-par season (yes, he was injured and can serve as a G, I agree). The Jets DO NOT have the monopoly $ that is being falsely circulated and still have to extract value from non-premier positions. Long is serviceable but not at THAT $ layout AND with a $6.5M cap savings w/$0 dead money if he's cut. He's the 13th highest paid Center in 2019 @ $6.85M, would you say he's in the TOP 15 of starting centers in the NFL? Even to keep him at LG, the 13-14th rated guys (Iupati and our Carpenter) earned b/t $4.75-5M for 2019; Long is worth $6.5M as a LG?!?!? I disagree. 

YES, the Jets are thin at the position, but I believe the cap savings and talent upgrade (draft pick or FA) would provide BETTER value and resource allocation than paying the $3.5M Bonus and $6.5M ADDED space if he rejects the restructure.  :D

Jets have leverage and should force Long's hand to restructure. He'd take it b/c there is NO market for his services at the $ he's earning now. Jets should shave him down to $4.85M. 

JMO. 

CALLED IT!

:lol:

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think Long signs for $4million+ with someone.  

These are the OL that the Jets currently have on the roster.  Pollack must have not liked Long's tape.

Offensive Line 

Considering Shell is injured (we’ve been extremely lucky with injuries), this is an absolute disgrace.

How many fireable offenses does Mac have to commit to actually be fired? Usually it’s 1 but this guy is like a cat and has 9 lives as a GM I guess. 

7 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

IMHO it's an easy choice. We give him the $3 mil and bring him back.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Makes sense from the Jet's standpoint. I'd be pissed if I were him but it's business.

Told ya. He (if they offered) should have pushed for a restructure b/c he was OVERPAID no matter what position and a HORRIBLE year. Jets had leverage and used it to the max. Long won't have that great of a market and I could see him re-up for about $2M cheaper. Let's see. 

I have been VALIDATED by the 2015 NFL executive of the Year!!!!!  LOL. :lol:

(sarcasm!) 

34 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They waited until their star qb was out for a year plus with an injury.  Very much like mac's opinion of the oline is.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

The move SAVED the Jets 6.5m

Too bad they couldn’t restricted in lieu of this. They knew about the early roster bonus. I’m sure there would have been a fair middle ground/premium for Long.

I guess the coaches probably want to completely start from scratch with this OL and will sign a lot of mid-lower level guys just to fill out the starting lineup and depth alone. 

58 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I think we better buckle up and get ready for a wild offseason. I thought Long wasn't going anywhere after he played pretty well at G. I blame Bowles for continually running him out there to play C with a broken hand. 

So if the Jets are cutting him loose, I'm thinking Gase is going to round up a whole bunch more to go with him. If I'm right, this is going to get interesting.

Correct.

I LIKED the Gase hiring from the Get GO. He's going to GLEAN the most out of this team's talent pool and PART of that is having indoctrinated players he believes he can go to battle with. 

He's going to cut a LOT of dead weight. The FACT the Jets cut Long KNOWING the dearth of talent AND depth at the position SCREAMS that it was a bad contract and they took the out clause. Smart move. IT's going to be an ACTIVE March 2019 for Jets football. 

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Correct.

I LIKED the Gase hiring from the Get GO. He's going to GLEAN the most out of this team's talent pool and PART of that is having indoctrinated players he believes he can go to battle with. 

He's going to cut a LOT of dead weight. The FACT the Jets cut Long KNOWING the dearth of talent AND depth at the position SCREAMS that it was a bad contract and they took the out clause. Smart move. IT's going to be an ACTIVE March 2019 for Jets football. 

Please remember, Jay Cutler was one of these "indoctrinated players he believes he can go to battle with "  They are going to be active by default.  There are about 19 contracted players on a 90 man roster.

The thing with Long is that beyond the injury, I read that he had the yips.  Coaches don't like that and he isn't the type of talent you wait around for.  Snapping isn't super easy, but I am pretty sure that you can tape three of your fingers together and still do it with some proficiency.  He was spraying it around like Shaq at the foul line. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

one of longs worst games was vs the dolphins as well if i recall. 

I believe one shotgun snap was so off Darnold barely got it and quickly chucked it due to pressure and lead to an INT. Long was a catalyst for BAD things to occur on offense in 2018. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Please remember, Jay Cutler was one of these "indoctrinated players he believes he can go to battle with "  They are going to be active by default.  There are about 19 contracted players on a 90 man roster.

don't pass that TRIPE here. C'mon!

Dolphins were ROYALLY PHUCKED at QB due ti injury and Cutler WAS LURED OUT of retirement w/$$$$$ b/c he KNEW Gase's offense and was the only "Plug & Play" QB Gase could rely on (why he hated Matt Moore, who knows). So DON"T push some BULL$hit Narrative. :roll:

People blame Bowles for not pulling him but nfl starters play with far worse injuries every week. It's an NFL hcs job to let him try

The thing with Long is that beyond the injury, I read that he had the yips.  Coaches don't like that and he isn't the type of talent you wait around for.  Snapping isn't super easy, but I am pretty sure that you can tape three of your fingers together and still do it with some proficiency.  He was spraying it around like Shaq at the foul line. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

People blame Bowles for not pulling him but nfl starters play with far worse injuries every week. It's an NFL hcs job to let him try

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah, but there's also more than sufficient evidence that SCREAMED Long could no longer physically play Center AND it was KILLING the TEAM. 2 series MAX! and he should have been yanked. 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

don't pass that TRIPE here. C'mon!

Dolphins were ROYALLY PHUCKED at QB due ti injury and CutlerWAS LURED OUT of retirement w/$$$$$ b/c he KNEW Gase's  offense and was the only "Plug & Play" QB he could rely (why he hated Matt Moore, who knows). So DON"T push some BULL$hit Narrative. 

Whatever the bullsh*t narrative, Cutler helped make his career.  Gase is not Parcells and Belichick bringing guys that were in the super bowl with the Giants and Pats to the Jets and later stops.  He didn't exactly raise the talent level Miami.  Unless you are dying for Julius Thomas.  You can butt fumble all you want, but it's the truth. 

Snap decision: Jets release center Spencer Long

In their first significant roster move under new coach Adam Gase, the New York Jetsannounced Tuesday they are parting ways with center Spencer Long.

The Jets released Long to avoid a $3 million roster bonus, which would've become guaranteed if he had remained on the roster Wednesday. The expected move makes him a free agent.

Long, 28, signed a four-year, $27.4 million contract last offseason after four seasons with the Washington Redskins. The Jets had hoped he would stabilize the center position, a weakness since Nick Mangold stopped playing in 2016, but the plan didn't materialize. Long played the second half of the season with a tendon injury in his right (snapping) hand, which affected his performance.

The low point came in a Week 9 loss to the Miami Dolphins (who were then coached by Gase), during which he was off-target on at least seven shotgun snaps. Then-Jets coach Todd Bowles didn't pull him until late in the game, resulting in a torrent of criticism. Long never played center again.

When he returned to the lineup two weeks later, he played left guard, where he stayed for the rest of the season. He wound up with 13 starts -- eight at center, five at left guard. The Jets structured his contract in a way that leaves no "dead" money on the 2019 salary cap. His entire $6.5 million cap charge comes off the books, increasing their cap-room surplus to about $100 million. They can use some of the money to sign a center because there is no heir apparent on the roster.

Jonotthan Harrison, who replaced Long last season, also is a free agent.

They have more cap room than the guy in the waiting room with Beetlejuice. Why would we let go of a serviceable player at our biggest unit of need?

Because that cap room is going to dry up extremely quickly if we overpay on JAGs. We have tons of roster spots to fill, and they can’t all be filled up by UDFAs.

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

$6.5 million is a lot for an interior OL. Even the best at G make like $8 million. Centers even less.

They didn’t suffer any dead money either.

Maybe 5 years ago, but that’s just not the case anymore.

10 centers and 18 guards have average salaries of 8M+. Not that I think the Jets were wrong to cut him, but they’ll likely need to pay someone a higher salary if they want to upgrade the position (whether you consider that guard or center).

164F797F-FA19-4546-8C35-4C28BBFC9541.thumb.jpeg.1b948845a06812ce808d145119a9f2d5.jpegE188A8B0-CDE1-491B-90BC-8B89D2D19519.thumb.jpeg.76768aeffd2b623ec79c257c6dfffbb9.jpeg66B99518-7270-4071-8C5B-3B685935EA49.thumb.jpeg.dc31ae6790252e507467e9d06220943e.jpeg

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

No question Bowles screwed this up but Long rates as below average based on PFF.  He ranks below Winters, Shell and Beachum.  Just sayin'...  

Based on last year with his broken fingers I don't doubt it. Once his fingers are 100% he'd rate higher than all 3 of them IMO.

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Maybe 5 years ago, but that’s just not the case anymore.

10 centers and 18 guards have average salaries of 8M+. Not that I think the Jets were wrong to cut him, but they’ll likely need to pay someone a higher salary if they want to upgrade the position (whether you consider that guard or center).

164F797F-FA19-4546-8C35-4C28BBFC9541.thumb.jpeg.1b948845a06812ce808d145119a9f2d5.jpegE188A8B0-CDE1-491B-90BC-8B89D2D19519.thumb.jpeg.76768aeffd2b623ec79c257c6dfffbb9.jpeg66B99518-7270-4071-8C5B-3B685935EA49.thumb.jpeg.dc31ae6790252e507467e9d06220943e.jpeg

there are a lot of overpaid linemen.  i.e. Pugh. = P.U.

Archived