Jets owe Spencer Long 3M$ guaranteed if he i lsn’t cut by tomorrow(UPDATE: Long has been released)

Patriot Killa

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised to hear that, as you'd hardly think the Jets should be creating any more holes for themselves, but I guess we'll see what the plan is there, whether it be bringing him back on a cheaper deal, or another interior lineman they have targeted in FA.  At this point they have absolutely no C or LG (with Carpenter's contract done, and not worth bringing back) on the roster, and one or more OT upgrades needed at the very least.

I might otherwise give the team the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this, as Long was hardly a world-beater, but the horrific track record of Maccagnan does nothing to merit that.

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Jet could do better . If there’s one position you can find it’s a Guard. They need to let Winters go as well he is terrible 

It would be great to upgrade all of these guys, but how do we think a search for 5 new starting OL in one offseason is gonna go?  They've hardly shown much skill in filling any of the positions over the past 4 years.

Well, he's not an expiring contract so he's fair game for anyone to sign now even before the technical start of FA.

If they're really trying to resign him it's a calculated gamble that the open market would offer something less than the $6.5 million he would have been due this year...and that he'd resign for less rather then hold a grudge.

57 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Josh McCown was the starter in 2017 and he only won a game more than he did with the rookie.

Question?  Do the three games that McCown lost in 2018 get added to his 2017 result, or get subtracted from Sam's 2018 record.  If any adjustment is considered, did he really win one more game than Sam?  Just asking.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm surprised. He was disappointing but given our lack of depth I thought they'd hang onto him.

He's a very solid player. Bowles keeping him at C with broken fingers was one of his more stupid moves.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The very first thing everyone thinks when the jets under mac sigh a fa is 'Yay!  We signed such and such a player in a position of need!"

The second thing they think immediately after is "I hope we can get out of this 4 year deal after one year!"

I think Macc is secretly a divorce attorney.?

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

He's a very solid player. Bowles keeping him at C with broken fingers was one of his more stupid moves.

No question Bowles screwed this up but Long rates as below average based on PFF.  He ranks below Winters, Shell and Beachum.  Just sayin'...  

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Too many league guys stick up for each other and wind up sounding stupid. We all know Polian was a great GM but yet here he is talking out of the side of his neck as if he has a point. It’s cringe worthy.

Where was Polian saying this?

well according to another thread - here's the current OL roster

Offensive Line 

68 - Kelvin Beachum 6"3" 303  SMU (T)  
    72 - Brandon Shell 6'5" 325 South Carolina (2018 Injured Reserve)
    67 - Brian Winters 6'4" 320 Kent State (G)  
    79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (G/T)    (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    78 - Jonotthan Harrison 6"4" 300 Florida (C/G)    (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    70 - Dakota Dozier 6'4" 313 Furman (C/G/T)    (UNRESTRICTED FA)
     69 - Benjamin Braden 6'6" 335 Michigan (G/T)  (Exclusive Rights FA)
     65 - Eric Smith 6'4" 308 Virginia (T)
    71 - Ben Ijalana 6'4" 322 Villanova (T/G)  (2018 Injured Reserve)   (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    77 - James Carpenter 6'5 321 Alabama (G) (2018 Injured Reserve)   (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    76 - Dieugot Joseph 6'6" 300 FIU (OT) (Reserve/Future Contract)
     64 - Jon Toth   6'5" 310 Kentucky (C) (Reserve/Future Contract)
     61 - Spencer Long 6'5" 318 Nebraska  (C/G)  *** RELEASED ***

Wholly Geebuz - if we don't dedicate a lot of next years resources to the OL, Sam's a dead man walking.

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I feel like you are saying that because Darnold wasn't great and picking the ball off the turf at random locations 5 - 12 times per game. If Darnold was better at that, would Long really have been an issue?  

:)

JN has taught me that, somehow, this is Jamal Adam's fault

18 minutes ago, peebag said:

well according to another thread - here's the current OL roster

Offensive Line 

68 - Kelvin Beachum 6"3" 303  SMU (T)  
    72 - Brandon Shell 6'5" 325 South Carolina (2018 Injured Reserve)
    67 - Brian Winters 6'4" 320 Kent State (G)  
    79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (G/T)    (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    78 - Jonotthan Harrison 6"4" 300 Florida (C/G)    (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    70 - Dakota Dozier 6'4" 313 Furman (C/G/T)    (UNRESTRICTED FA)
     69 - Benjamin Braden 6'6" 335 Michigan (G/T)  (Exclusive Rights FA)
     65 - Eric Smith 6'4" 308 Virginia (T)
    71 - Ben Ijalana 6'4" 322 Villanova (T/G)  (2018 Injured Reserve)   (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    77 - James Carpenter 6'5 321 Alabama (G) (2018 Injured Reserve)   (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    76 - Dieugot Joseph 6'6" 300 FIU (OT) (Reserve/Future Contract)
     64 - Jon Toth   6'5" 310 Kentucky (C) (Reserve/Future Contract)
     61 - Spencer Long 6'5" 318 Nebraska  (C/G)  *** RELEASED ***

Wholly Geebuz - if we don't dedicate a lot of next years resources to the OL, Sam's a dead man walking.

That’s ******* depressing. 

I’m hope he comes back as a OG and emergency C. 

I think we better buckle up and get ready for a wild offseason. I thought Long wasn't going anywhere after he played pretty well at G. I blame Bowles for continually running him out there to play C with a broken hand. 

So if the Jets are cutting him loose, I'm thinking Gase is going to round up a whole bunch more to go with him. If I'm right, this is going to get interesting.

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

They just cut him....let’s resign him. emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't get how that's funny. He's not worth $6.5 million but they may get him back for $2 million and just saved $4.5 million for the same guy. I'm not saying they should do that but if they did it would make complete business sense.

Just now, choon328 said:

I don't get how that's funny. He's not worth $6.5 million but they may get him back for $2 million and just saved $4.5 million for the same guy. I'm not saying they should do that but if they did it would make complete business sense.

Vet minimum or let him walk. 

Archived