Manish Maccagnan says Leo isn't getting traded (merged)

playtowinthegame

Report: Jets have “no plans” to trade Leonard Williams

gettyimages-1074686766-e1549383849258.jp

During the regular season, Jets defensive lineman Leonard Williams said he wasn’t worried about contract matters with the Jets as he played out his fourth year with the team. The Jets exercised their fifth-year option on Williams’ contract before the 2018 season and the team has ample cap space to pay Williams while addressing other needs, so there wasn’t much reason to be thinking about his deal at that point in the calendar. There have been some suggestions that the Jets could trade Williams this offseason, although Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports there are “no plans” for that at the moment.

Mehta adds that the team is open to a contract extension, although there have not been any talks on that front to this point. Williams’ role should change with Gregg Williams taking over the defense under new head coach Adam Gase. Both sides may feel it is prudent to see how that works out before any serious discussions about a new deal take place.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets don't plan on trading Leonard Williams: 'It would be stupid'

The Big Cat isn’t going anywhere.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have no plans to trade defensive lineman Leonard Williams amid their ongoing rebuilding process. My understanding is that Gang Green wants Williams to be a part of its future and is amenable to signing him to a contract extension this year.

“It would be stupid” to trade the 24-year-old Williams this offseason, according to one Jets source.

Moreover, new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is excited to maximize the former No. 6 overall pick’s skills in his aggressive 4-3 scheme, according to sources. Speculation that the Jets could move Williams this spring, frankly, made little sense given his talent and age.

The Jets have ample cap space (about $111 million) to easily absorb Williams’ $14.2 million fifth-year option in 2019. Gang Green, however, is open to a team-friendly extension. There have not been any substantive contract extension discussions at this point, I’m told.

The Jets also have the flexibility to apply the franchise tag on Williams in 2020 (for about $18 million) in the absence of a long-term agreement.

Williams told the Daily News in November that a head coaching change could impact his choice to sign a long-term deal.

“I feel like it will impact my decision when that comes,” Williams told the News at the time. “But the fact that I don’t know if there’s going to be a coaching change or I don’t know if there’s going to be a (new) contract… I don’t know what’s in the store for the future, so I can’t (predict).”

Well, Gregg Williams has a solid plan for this talented young player.

The new Jets defensive coordinator is expected to move Leonard Williams to the three-technique (lining up on the outside shoulder of the guard) along his defensive line.

The position shift should put Williams in a prime spot to dominate one-on-one matchups with his quickness. In theory, Williams should be better positioned to make plays against the run and get home more often on pass rushes. (The next step for the Jets is to find a quality edge rusher to occupy the weakside tackle).

Williams hasn’t been a statistical giant in his first four seasons, but there’s a strong sense on One Jets Drive that Gregg Williams will be able to get the best out of him. Leonard Williams’ 17 career sacks in 64 career games don’t jump off the page, but people in the know realize that he has consistently disrupted quarterbacks through the years.

Williams, who made the Pro Bowl after his second season in 2016, has 85 career quarterback hits. Rams All-Pro Aaron Donald was the only interior defender with more combined sacks and quarterback hits than Williams (37) from 2016-2017.

Williams finished with five sacks, 20 quarterback hits, 42 combined tackles and tied his career-high with 11 tackles for loss last season. Jets fans have been particularly frustrated that Williams, expected to be a star coming out of USC, hasn’t necessarily lived up to their lofty expectations.

“I’m still young,” Williams told me in November. “I know I’m going to be in the league for a lot longer. I know people have their breakout years at different times. The best thing for me to do is not compare myself to other people, but just see when it’s my time. At the same time, the NFL goes by quick so you can’t wait too long.”

Williams also made it clear at the time that he wants to be a part of a rebuilding process that ultimately takes the Jets to the Promised Land.

“It would be legendary to be able to be on a team that brings the Jets back to a championship,” Williams said. “That’s the way I see it. I’ve never been that type of guy to say, ‘Oh, these people are winning. Let me go over there and win with them.’ I’d rather be on this team where we’ve been losing and turn it around. Let’s silence the doubters. Let’s turn this program around and be winners. That’s how I’ve always been.”

The Jets are smart to try to cultivate his talent rather than move on from him.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-leonard-williams-jets-gregg-williams-20190205-story.html?outputType=amp

Duh. 

The best thing for the Jets would be for Leo to take off in Gregg Williams' scheme. Trading him now, when his value is meh, wouldn't make a ton of sense. What would they even be able to get for him right now? A third round pick? Maaaaaaaybe a second? 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Duh. 

The best thing for the Jets would be for Leo to take off in Gregg Williams' scheme. Trading him now, when his value is meh, wouldn't make a ton of sense. What would they even be able to get for him right now? A third round pick? Maaaaaaaybe a second? 

This is a huge year for Leo. We find out how great he wants to be. 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Duh. 

Well he's a FA next year and if he takes off he's going to command a monster contract. I think he's here to stay and Mac doesn't want to punt on the idea that he messed up the pick.

He shouldn't be traded as NOW we're in a 4-3 base. He'll excel w/his quickness in shooting the gap and causing backfield chaos and TFLs. 

IF we would have STAYED in a 3-4, the YES trade him. But now we can BETTER GAGE his value as a 4-3 DT as the 3Technique. He should be fun to watch, and THEN decide if he's worth extending or play the franchise game as we did w/Mo. 

We have oh so many guys picked super high that make no difference on a foot ball team.

Imo this past year he started to show signs of loafing like players before him.

The fact that we have no good dlineman was always an indication they would keep him, that and the fact that mac cannot admit to another non impact player chosen.

14 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Report: Jets have “no plans” to trade Leonard Williams

gettyimages-1074686766-e1549383849258.jp

During the regular season, Jets defensive lineman Leonard Williams said he wasn’t worried about contract matters with the Jets as he played out his fourth year with the team. The Jets exercised their fifth-year option on Williams’ contract before the 2018 season and the team has ample cap space to pay Williams while addressing other needs, so there wasn’t much reason to be thinking about his deal at that point in the calendar. There have been some suggestions that the Jets could trade Williams this offseason, although Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports there are “no plans” for that at the moment.

Mehta adds that the team is open to a contract extension, although there have not been any talks on that front to this point. Williams’ role should change with Gregg Williams taking over the defense under new head coach Adam Gase. Both sides may feel it is prudent to see how that works out before any serious discussions about a new deal take place.

i hope we do Not trade him. he is one of my fav. players on our current roster   ?

12-21571_ncaa_leonard_willaims_usc_troja

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have oh so many guys picked super high that make no difference on a foot ball team.

Imo this past year he started to show signs of loafing like players before him.

The fact that we have no good dlineman was always an indication they would keep him, that and the fact that mac cannot admit to another non impact player chosen.

He’s the last man standing from the horrific 2015 draft class.  Maccagnan isn’t getting rid of him.  

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

If Leo is playing well next season the Jets would be smart to offer that extension before he hits free agency.

^This.  

If the Jets were doing a scorched earth rebuild like the Bills did I would trade him for whatever pick they can.

But there will be pressure on the Jets to perform.  Leo is supremely motivated to have a good year, like Mo was.  With Gregg Williams, one could logically expect Leo to have his best year ever in 2019.

What the Jets do with it is another story.  The right  answer could be what the Rams did with Trumaine.  Franchise for a year or two, and then spin out.  

How many long-term contracts with DL work out?

I'm willing to give Williams the benefit of the doubt, although he was clearly dogging it most of last season.  It can't be very motivating for someone to go to work everyday for a constantly rebuilding team, with no shot to make playoffs, and take orders from a coach who is inept & soon to be gone.  

I'd like to see him get one more chance under Gregg Williams, playing a position he's better suited for, on a team that hopes to be playing meaningful football in December/January.  

To be fair Williams hasn't gotten enough grief for his lack of production.
Players of his draft profile impact every game they play in.  Double teams
don't stop guys like Donald, Watt, Miller and Mack.  He has no more excuses
this year, he'll probably move to the "3 Tech" in the new 4-3 and the team
will add at least one other pass rusher.  Put up or shut up

Trading away Leo would be another long line of mistakes the Jets have committed. They can't just give up on him because of his performance with Bowles. I believe letting him play under Gregg Williams it will make a big difference on how he plays. Leo will get plenty opportunities under WIlliams to get better and make those around him better. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Leo can be great or he can be a JAG. It's up to him. He's going to turn 25 this off-season. It would be awesome to see him turn the corner and become a game changer in Greg Williams defense.

yep.  he seems to want to get sacks but hasn't been very successful.  we'll see if a defensive change will get him freer.  it could. and that could rekindle his spirit to play.

We aren't rebuilding so we shouldn't be trading away good players. I am not sure I want to give him a monster extension but I also don't want to bail on a guy who appears to have plenty of talent and was likely held back by the likes of Kacy Rodgers. 

There are some really good interior DL that are either available or will become available who when paired with Williams could help unleash his potential. 

Leo does not have a problem with his 'spirit'.  He plays hard.  He's no Aaron Donald but he plays hard and he's a good player.  You know that Gregg Williams had a say in not trading him and that bodes well for Leo.

It's likely that Mac will sign a pass rusher (or two) and may draft a guy like Q. Williams which would make Leo very productive.

I just wish Leo would take his craft seriously and put in the work to change his body and lose the baby fat.  He's very naturally gifted with size and long arms and he works out and stuff, he's just not maniacal and doesn't care enough IMO. 

I wouldn't trade him just because I think he's an alright player and we need some of those.

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

This is a tough one cause the guy isn't worth the franchise tag price and is not an elite talent (now) but could end up being one still. If you trade him for peanuts there is a chance you regret it

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

You're right, it's the classic Catch 22 scenario. Unfortunately, we have been so beaten down as a fan base that we are conditioned to believe that which ever way it goes, it will be wrong. We extend him, be becomes Mo Wilk. Let him walk, he's Farrior or Hugh Douglass.

Archived