Jets Release Spencer Long

JetNation

IMG_8176-1.jpg

The NY Jets have announced that they have released C\G Spencer Long. He was due a 3 million dollar roster bonus if he remained on the roster, that is why the move was done at this time. Long struggled at center this past season, a hand injury impacted his ability to snap. He was moved to guard and played better there. Adam Gase and company must not have been impressed so they are moving in another direction.

We have released OL Spencer Long.

? https://t.co/y42ggSYXEb pic.twitter.com/eVTegnjbeA

— New York Jets (@nyjets) February 5, 2019

After signing with the Green & White last March, Long appeared in and started 13 games while playing both center and left guard.

The 28-year-old Long, who spent his first four pro seasons with the Washington Redskins, opened the season at center before battling finger and leg injuries. After James Carpenter went to injured reserve, Long shifted to left guard and veteran Jonotthan Harrison moved to center.

A third-round pick of Washington in the 2014 draft, the 6’5”, 318-pound Long has appeared in 53 NFL contests and started 44.

Here is a thread in our forums about Spencer Long.

The post Jets Release Spencer Long appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
f6mpOLg44uU

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly this was an easy decision, for all those saying otherwise. Upgrading is up to the GM, but fear of an even worse guard/center than a clear disappointment is not the way you get better. If we were way up against the cap, where we couldn't afford to spend to upgrade, then maybe you could rationalize his versatility makes him worth it.

Good move Maccagnan (after the bad move of picking him up in the first place, which itself followed a season he went with Wesley Johnson and nobody else for the year). 

If we sign an $11MM center, it's not an $11M spend to upgrade; now it's just a $5MM upgrade spend because we subtract Long's contract. 

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Honestly this was an easy decision, for all those saying otherwise. Upgrading is up to the GM, but fear of an even worse guard/center than a clear disappointment is not the way you get better. If we were way up against the cap, where we couldn't afford to spend to upgrade, then maybe you could rationalize his versatility makes him worth it.

Good move Maccagnan (after the bad move of picking him up in the first place, which itself followed a season he went with Wesley Johnson and nobody else for the year). 

If we sign an $11MM center, it's not an $11M spend to upgrade; now it's just a $5MM upgrade spend because we subtract Long's contract. 

Sperm.....you feeling ok??

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Good he should have been cut during the season for his terrible snapping there are better guys on the street. 

@peebag who obviously knows NOTHING about football if he thinks he was a good snapper...

GET A CLUE DUDE/DUDETTE AND SHOVE THE NEGATIVE REP 

lol....peace lil' dude!

Just now, bealeb319 said:

He had a pretty bad season with us and I think some of that was due to injuries. It won't be hard to replace the play he gave us last year but I think he was a better player than what we got from him. If we don't land moorse or paradis in free agency this move could come back to bite us.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

This move allows him and the Jets to see what his worth is on the market. They may get back together yet again. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Many times I've wished the Jets would trade back, accumulate extra picks and then draft Olinemen.

Every year I hear about guys we can pick up in the draft. 

Every year we dont draft Olinemen

Every year our Oline sucks.

Trade down, draft linemen. 

**** you Maccagnan

This is a big offseason for Macca6nan.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Good he should have been cut during the season for his terrible snapping there are better guys on the street. 

@peebag who obviously knows NOTHING about football if he thinks he was a good snapper...

Please go eat some clams and enjoy a seltzer and relax. You let SAR I get you all amped up in the Meadowlands thread and you get cranky. 

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Many times I've wished the Jets would trade back, accumulate extra picks and then draft Olinemen.

**** you Maccagnan

wait.  Your pronoun usage is confusing.  It's almost as if you are a Jets fan.  

The guy's hand was injured and he physically couldn't snap, as anybody could see.  He played significantly better when moved to guard.  He might not be the center we wanted and I'm not devastated by his departure,  but if he couldn't snap and they put him in anyway, whose fault is that?

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

wait.  Your pronoun usage is confusing.  It's almost as if you are a Jets fan.  

Surprising, isn't it? 

I was never not a Jets fan. I just don't allow other fans to dictate how I demonstrate my fandom or what other teams I can enjoy watching when Maccagnan is putting together crap rosters and the Johnson's a crappy coaching staff.

agree that cutting him was pretty easy and it all comes down to saving 3 million.  but at the same time having a revolving door on the oline is not a good thing.  these guys need to play together for quite some time before they get really great.  it used to be that it took 3 seasons for an oline to come together.  and while we shouldn't think his replacement will be worse as a reason to keep him, with mac drafting there's no telling based on his past draft and free agency record.

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

agree that cutting him was pretty easy and it all comes down to saving 3 million.  but at the same time having a revolving door on the oline is not a good thing.  these guys need to play together for quite some time before they get really great.  it used to be that it took 3 seasons for an oline to come together.  and while we shouldn't think his replacement will be worse as a reason to keep him, with mac drafting there's no telling based on his past draft and free agency record.

It saves $6MM

It saves $3MM only if he was going to be cut later this offseason

13 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jets may bring him back at a lesser salary.

Also true, but hopefully he first tries to upgrade before locking the team into another year of going with the fallback plan.

The advantage of a QB making $20MM below market value is not to save $20MM outright; it's to spend it elsewhere. OL seems as good a place as any.

15 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

**** you Maccagnan

Agree 100%. Just said the same in a different post.

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

And you wonder why you are always getting banned.

Reading your posts seriously makes me wonder if something is wrong with you. Please spare me the PM explaining how the other person started it again.

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Surprising, isn't it? 

I was never not a Jets fan. I just don't allow other fans to dictate how I demonstrate my fandom or what other teams I can enjoy watching when Maccagnan is putting together crap rosters and the Johnson's a crappy coaching staff.

I’m not sure why you hate the Gase hire but applaud the Browns for promoting Freddie Kitchens.

That would’ve been like the Jets promoting Jeremy Bates to HC just because Darnold was the highest rated QB in the league over the last 4 weeks of the season.

And the crazy thing is, Bates is actually more qualified than Kitchens.

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

And you wonder why you are always getting banned.

Reading your posts seriously makes me wonder if something is wrong with you. Please spare me the PM explaining how the other person started it again.

That is a thing? I will have to start doing that.  I have not been sending you near enough PMs

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Its not that he was bad Joe, the guy had two broken fingers on his snapping hand, and our brilliant coach thought it was a better idea to leave him in and send 15 balls over Sam's head rather then change him.

I bet we resign him as guard/center depth, which I think would be good, given he won't have much of a market this season.

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m not sure why you hate the Gase hire but applaud the Browns for promoting Freddie Kitchens.

That would’ve been like the Jets promoting Jeremy Bates to HC just because Darnold was the highest rated QB in the league over the last 4 weeks of the season.

And the crazy thing is, Bates is actually more qualified than Kitchens.

His favorite player in on the Browns that’s why ?  

Archived