Jets Release Spencer Long

JetNation

29 minutes ago, Maxman said:

And you wonder why you are always getting banned.

Reading your posts seriously makes me wonder if something is wrong with you. Please spare me the PM explaining how the other person started it again.

Can I pm you about good things, happy things?  I’m good at that. ?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Its not that he was bad Joe, the guy had two broken fingers on his snapping hand, and our brilliant coach thought it was a better idea to leave him in and send 15 balls over Sam's head rather then change him.

I bet we resign him as guard/center depth, which I think would be good, given he won't have much of a market this season.

My guess is that Pollack and Gase thought they could get better value with new signings.

In retrospect, the Jets should have paid more and gotten more (Richburg, Jensen, Norwell) rather than try and go budget with Long.  

I think the draft is the space to watch-the mocks are now showing the Jets trading down, which will yield more picks, potentially many more.  

The obvious solution during the season was what they did later in the year. Put him in as a guard when he couldn't snap the ball. To me one of the worst things Bowles did in 2018 was keeping him in games that we might have lost because of bad snaps. I don't get it. I'll go along with the FO and CS as far as cutting and not paying him. He will have a job in the NFL in 2019 he's not a bad O-lineman. I thought we should have kept him the money isn't huge and we have a lot of it but not something I would argue about. I'm hoping there is a big re-tool on the O-line an upgrade. I'm more for doing it via the draft but you might need a trade down to get quantity and quality. 

Long was one of the poster boys for the ineptness of the Bowles era and whether he deserved to be cut or not based primarily on inability to perform due to an injury (He wasn't tearing it up prior to the injury to be fair), I applaud the move.  Move on from the stain of Bowles any time the opportunity presents itself and set the tone for the new regime - poor play will not be tolerated.  Earn and keep your spot.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The obvious solution during the season was what they did later in the year. Put him in as a guard when he couldn't snap the ball. To me one of the worst things Bowles did in 2018 was keeping him in games that we might have lost because of bad snaps. I don't get it. I'll go along with the FO and CS as far as cutting and not paying him. He will have a job in the NFL in 2019 he's not a bad O-lineman. I thought we should have kept him the money isn't huge and we have a lot of it but not something I would argue about. I'm hoping there is a big re-tool on the O-line an upgrade. I'm more for doing it via the draft but you might need a trade down to get quantity and quality. 

One of my theories about the Johnson/Mac/Bowles Triumverate is that they have never really run a Pete Carroll Meritocracy.  Players play based on draft position and contract value, not ability. 

Hopefully Gase can change that.  

Just now, varjet said:

One of my theories about the Johnson/Mac/Bowles Triumverate is that they have never really run a Pete Carroll Meritocracy.  Players play based on draft position and contract value, not ability. 

Hopefully Gase can change that.  

Are implying this guy got free money for two years because he was a second round pick?

B3B75F5D-7BAB-48B5-8E92-32638C456E52.jpeg.39fe5eca2e6e9c445685d66ba6af8271.jpeg

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’m not sure why you hate the Gase hire but applaud the Browns for promoting Freddie Kitchens.

Because I can find positive things with Freddie Kitchens that I cant find with Gase. 

That would’ve been like the Jets promoting Jeremy Bates to HC just because Darnold was the highest rated QB in the league over the last 4 weeks of the season.

Except Mayfield was Rookie of the week 7 times which is the most of any rookie, rookie of the month of November, NFL All Rookie team, holds rookie TD record which was recorded in three less games than the previous holders which were Peyton and Wilson and runner-up for OROTY. 

Being the highest rated QB over the last month of the season doesnt really compare to having a team that won 1 game in 2 years mathematically eligible for the playoffs up until week 16, nor would I say that it would warrant the opportunity at being the HC when looking at Bates job as an OC overall...it was pathetic. 

If Jeremy Bates did something similar with Sam Darnold, as Kitchens with Baker and was promoted to HC, I would support it 100%, especially if it was between Jeremy Bates and Adam Gase as the options. 

Outside of Gase having the fortune of holding the title "OC" for a season during 1 of Peyton's incredible seasons doesnt mean much when #1. We know that Peyton controlled the offense even going back to Indy, and #2. Gase seems to still be living off of that association given that nothing afterwards has established him as a credible QB developer or a HC that can lead men. 

And the crazy thing is, Bates is actually more qualified than Kitchens.

Except the league doesnt think so, as Bates is currently jobless. Not as in not having a HC position, but I mean he's not in the league at all at the moment. Probably because of how bad he underachieved, even with such a talent like Darnold. 

Just sayin'

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Because I can find positive things with Freddie Kitchens that I cant find with Gase. 

Except Mayfield was Rookie of the week 7 times which is the most of any rookie, rookie of the month of November, NFL All Rookie team, holds rookie TD record which was recorded in three less games than the previous holders which were Peyton and Wilson and runner-up for OROTY. 

Being the highest rated QB over the last month of the season doesnt really compare to having a team that won 1 game in 2 years mathematically eligible for the playoffs up until week 16, nor would I say that it would warrant the opportunity at being the HC when looking at Bates job as an OC overall...it was pathetic. 

If Jeremy Bates did something similar with Sam Darnold, as Kitchens with Baker and was promoted to HC, I would support it 100%, especially if it was between Jeremy Bates and Adam Gase as the options. 

Outside of Gase having the fortune of holding the title "OC" for a season during 1 of Peyton's incredible seasons doesnt mean much when #1. We know that Peyton controlled the offense even going back to Indy, and #2. Gase seems to still be living off of that association given that nothing afterwards has established him as a credible QB developer or a HC that can lead men. 

Except the league doesnt think so, as Bates is currently jobless. Not as in not having a HC position, but I mean he's not in the league at all at the moment. Probably because of how bad he underachieved, even with such a talent like Darnold. 

Just sayin'

Carson Palmer raves about Kitchens, he should know, they were together in Arizona.

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Carson Palmer raves about Kitchens, he should know, they were together in Arizona.

True. It seems like everyone who's been around him raves about him. That's different than just "Peyton". 

You got Carson Palmer, Baker Mayfield, John Dorsey hired him to his current position which shows his belief in him, Bruce Arians spoke great of him and even said that he would keep him if he were to have become HC of the Browns. 

My problem, and only problem is this the same that it has always been. Peyton Manning is getting this guy jobs in the league, yet every other QB that Gase has ever worked with are not raving about him or seemed to have developed into anything. 

Tebow= Out of the league

Cutler= Regressed

Tannehill= Regressed. 

No way am I saying that things cant change with Gase. Sometimes you just have to have the right atmosphere, coaches and players. I think that Sam Darnold has more potential than any of those QB's above. However, my concern is that Gase has a trend of getting less out of his QB's while Peyton keep's making phone calls. 

I dont think that my caution or concern with this hire is so out of line. Gase has shown to be more of an OC than a HC or QB developer. 

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

True. It seems like everyone who's been around him raves about him. That's different than just "Peyton". 

You got Carson Palmer, Baker Mayfield, John Dorsey hired him to his current position which shows his belief in him, Bruce Arians spoke great of him and even said that he would keep him if he were to have become HC of the Browns. 

My problem, and only problem is this the same that it has always been. Peyton Manning is getting this guy jobs in the league, yet every other QB that Gase has ever worked with are not raving about him or seemed to have developed into anything. 

Tebow= Out of the league

Cutler= Regressed

Tannehill= Regressed. 

No way am I saying that things cant change with Gase. Sometimes you just have to have the right atmosphere, coaches and players. I think that Sam Darnold has more potential than any of those QB's above. However, my concern is that Gase has a trend of getting less out of his QB's while Peyton keep's making phone calls. 

I dont think that my caution or concern with this hire is so out of line. Gase has shown to be more of an OC than a HC or QB developer. 

Legitimate concerns.  Of course, I worry about Sam, he’s young with little experience.  He needs a good coach, he certainly didn’t get that at USC.

Sam will be training with Jordan soon, and he’ll get together with Tay, as well as JuJu and Woody (Robert Woods) out here.

23 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Please go eat some clams and enjoy a seltzer and relax. You let SAR I get you all amped up in the Meadowlands thread and you get cranky. 

He loses it multiple times every single day it seems. I can't tell you how many times I've imagined him yelling at his laptop or running thru his house screaming "I'm gonna get that dude/dudette"!!!!

15 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

He loses it multiple times every single day it seems. I can't tell you how many times I've imagined him yelling at his laptop or running thru his house screaming "I'm gonna get that dude/dudette"!!!!

That's why I always have a drawer full of Snickers. Well... that and I'm a fatty.

Archived