PK offseason Mock 2.0 (post-super bowl)

Patriot Killa

I decided to do the 2.0 earlier than I initially was going to but after seeing Senior Bowl/EW Shrine, I figured now would be a decent enough time and I can run the 3.0 in March when they do the combine. So this time I challenged myself to draw up an off-season where I was forced to use the #3 pick rather than take a trade. I also have a changed opinion on some college players after the Senior Bowl and the Shrine Game. I’ve changed some of my previous picks based on value in both potential and position. position need is always accounted in determining value so OL is a position I will continue to lean into heavy during the continuation of my mocks. My FA options have changed as well and will continue to change as knowledge on availability surfaces. Important to note.. this mock features a mix of what I expect them to do and a little of what I want them to do...

First Thing’s First:

Pick up Leonard Williams’s option.

1st round tender on Robby Anderson.

Walk List:

Buster Skrine, CB

Jermaine Kearse, WR

James Carpenter, LG

Spencer Long, C/LG (already happened)

Steve McClendon, DT/DE

Morris Claiborne, CB

Charone Peake, WR

Josh McCown, QB

Henry Anderson, DE/DT (again, he doesn’t fit the scheme. He’s a nice player but he doesn’t fit in my mock offseason plans. There are plenty of 4-3 DL who are available.)

Re-sign List:

Darryl Roberts, CB. — gives us a decent depth option. He played admirable in his limited time.

Frankie Luvu - MLB depth. I’m a big fan of continuity and young guys who performed nicely in limited roles? I’m all for seeing what can become of them the next season.

Brandon Copeland - OLB Depth. 

Rontez Miles - S depth and reliable ST player. 

FA Signing Period:

Le’Veon Bell, RB  — Top 5 RB and elite at all the things that will take a load off Sam Darnold’s back!

Grady Jarrett, DT — just 25 years old and has plenty of room to grow. He notched in 6 sacks last season and 14 total in a 4 year career.

Bryce Callahan, CB — only one out of two carry over’s from my previous mock offseason. Callahan is everything you want in a Morris Claiborne replacement.

Rodger Saffold, OG — Saffold was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in 2010 and has given them nine seasons of consistent play since. This past season, Saffold helped anchor one of the top offensive lines in the league, with the ninth-best grade among all guards at 72.8. Entering his age 31 season, Saffold still has plenty to offer a team.

Mitch Morse, C — he has shown the ability to succeed in the NFL, particularly in pass protection. This past season, Morse allowed just five pressures in 534 pass-blocking snaps, and not one of those pressures was a sack. In fact, he has not allowed a sack since his rookie season in 2015.

Golden Tate, WR — some of you will gripe for me taking an older WR. But why not? He’s such a great hands catcher, great short/intermediate route runner and a security blanket for any QB. Give him a 2 year deal and get some nice middle of field action. I want my young WR in the draft anyway. I won’t take a younger guy in FA who will steal playing time from my drafted WR. 

Brock Osweiler, QB — back up who knows the offense.

The 2019 NFL Draft:

ARI selects Nick Bosa

SF selects Josh Allen

1st Round/#3 overall — Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson.

(I wanted a big time player to play in my new 4-3 scheme so I took Clelin Ferrell. If he tests good in the combine, I’d definitely make this selection. the next version should tell more on this #3 overall pick.

3rd Round — Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia.

(No Georgia bias..but I had to! Sure handed and a smooth route runner. He’d be gone if it wasn’t for limited exposure because DeAndre Swift was tearing it up. Sometimes Fromm only threw 12-15 times in a game)

3rd Round — Michael Dieter, Wisconsin, G/T

(a carry over from my first draft. I love his upside and I see him as an eventual starter in place of Brian Winters.)

4th Round — Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt, CB

(A tall ball hawk who has impressive ability to break on the ball. He has great athleticism and instincts. Definitely not like the last 4th Round CB draftee by the NYJ ...Juston Burris. I like Joejuan here because if I’m getting rid of Skrine and Claiborne, I need at least 3 more starting quality corners. You have Trumaine, Callahan, Roberts and joejuan battling it out with Parry Nickerson for who is #4)

QB - Sam Darnold/Brock Osweiler

HB - Le’Veon Bell/Isaiah Crowell/Elijah McGuire

WR - Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Golden Tate, Riley Ridley, Deontay Burnett, Andre Roberts

TE - Chris Herndon, Jordan Leggett, Neal Sterling

LT - Kelvin Beachum

LG - Rodger Saffold

C - Mitch Morse

RG - Brain Winters

RT - Brandon Shell

——

CB: Trumaine Johnson, Bryce Callahan, Joejuan Williams, Daryl Roberts, Parry Nickerson

FS: Marcus Maye

SS: Jamal Adams

DT: Leonard Williams, Grady Jarrett

DE: Clelin Ferrell, Trey Flowers

OLB: Darron Lee

OLB: Jordan Jenkins

MLB: Avery Williamson

I'd be okay with the Ferrell pick, I like him more then Q Will. but I'm hoping Allen will be there at #3 and we can take him. Bell is a no brainer, and I think signing him is as critical as hitting on our top pick.

Osweiler is a good, sound choice, but I'm hoping the Jets see enough in Webb that they'd feel comfortable with him as the backup, and we could get a much cheaper 3rd QB. Don't see that happening, but it would be nice if it worked out that way.

Love the Tate signing, I've felt all along he'd be perfect for us and our young QB. 100% with you on this.

The Morse (or Paradis) signings, and all other OLs, I'll have to take your word on. I'm the anti- @RobR, I'd be lying through my teeth if I claimed to know anything about rating OL play talent at the pro level, much less how it translates from college to the NFL.

Last one, and its just something I'm hoping for, and that's the Henry Anderson thing. Just like with Webb, I'm hoping Greg Williams thinks he can fit in his defense. I love the guy's energy and the mean (borderline dirty at times) streak he plays with. I wish Leo had some of that.

All in all, really nice job by you here. I enjoy looking at these mocks you and others take the time to put together. They're so much more fun to talk about then the latest Jamal tweet or new uniform speculation.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Instead of burning the third overall pick on Ferrell, you could just sign Mo Wilkerson, saw his legs off below the knee, and replace them with cinder blocks. 

So this means if we take him at 3, you're going to give him lotsa Jamal-love?

Just now, Paradis said:

Can't deal with a lineman not named Bosa at 3... dont care about this or that - can't do it. Enough's enough. Lots of mercs on the FA wire.

Everything else, sure. But that #3 yo, change it. Metcalf, Williams, White, anyone

It pained me to do so but this mock exercise really does show how thin the options are at #3 in our particular situation. I just took the best guy I could. I couldn’t justify Metcalf but almost just put Jonah down. 

Its a tough one. I want to see Clelin’s combine #’s before I continue with the next version.

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Can't deal with a lineman not named Bosa at 3... dont care about this or that - can't do it. Enough's enough. Lots of mercs on the FA wire.

Everything else, sure. But that #3 yo, change it. Metcalf, Williams, White, anyone

With the exception of Bosa and Allen, I'm not really excited about any of these DLs. I'd rather go CB then down that road again. I'd love a WR if he was thought to be as much of a sure thing anyone could be at that position. Do you really feel that confident about Metcalf? It would be great to draft a #1 WR to go with Darnold and Bell.

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

With the exception of Bosa and Allen, I'm not really excited about any of these DLs. I'd rather go CB then down that road again. I'd love a WR if he was thought to be as much of a sure thing as any of them could be considering the high bust rate I've recently become aware of at that position. Do you really feel that confident about Metcalf? It would be great to draft a #1 WR to go with Darnold and Bell.

I like Metcalf a ton but 3? Hmm... i dunno yet. Like Jet Engine said..let’s see the numbers first.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I like Metcalf a ton but 3? Hmm... i dunno yet. Like Jet Engine said..let’s see the numbers first.

I love Allen at 3, but I have to say, if he's gone DK would be a ballsy pick that I could get real excited about. We REALLY need playmakers. I'd be willing to roll the dice. 

I totally agree with the walk list, Charone Peake stings a little because I thought he had unrealized potential.  Henry Anderson was a warrior last season, and if the new staff feels he should go, I understand.  On the re-sign list only Rontez Miles concerns me.  Although an excellent special teamer, I felt a little uncomfortable with his play at safety, good tackler, late to the dance. On the free agent list I am all in with Morse.  Jarrett and Callahan are excellent upgrades, and Saffold and Tate are  still effective veterans who's presence will help add a leadership presence to a group looking to find it's way.  LeVeon  Bell worries me, but I understand what his physical skill sets can bring to the team, although I don't think he'll sign with us.  Brock Osweiler, eh, let's hope he doesn't have to play and can help Sam with Gase' system.  The choice of Ferrell at #3 overall I feel is a reach.  Very impressive physical presence, but I was disappointed in his late season performance, and his inability to get off blocks concerns me.  Hope it's not  an issue because I'm still hoping we can trade down.  The other picks all make sense, but to judge at this point makes no sense, as the draft will flesh out differently anyway.  The slots and positions all make sense given the Jets needs.  Good Job, "Killa", as usual.

I decided to do the 2.0 earlier than I initially was going to but after seeing Senior Bowl/EW Shrine, I figured now would be a decent enough time and I can run the 3.0 in March when they do the combine. So this time I challenged myself to draw up an off-season where I was forced to use the #3 pick rather than take a trade. I also have a changed opinion on some college players after the Senior Bowl and the Shrine Game. I’ve changed some of my previous picks based on value in both potential and position. position need is always accounted in determining value so OL is a position I will continue to lean into heavy during the continuation of my mocks. My FA options have changed as well and will continue to change as knowledge on availability surfaces. Important to note.. this mock features a mix of what I expect them to do and a little of what I want them to do...
First Thing’s First:
Pick up Leonard Williams’s option.
1st round tender on Robby Anderson.
Walk List:
Buster Skrine, CB
Jermaine Kearse, WR
James Carpenter, LG
Spencer Long, C/LG (already happened)
Steve McClendon, DT/DE
Morris Claiborne, CB
Charone Peake, WR
Josh McCown, QB
Henry Anderson, DE/DT (again, he doesn’t fit the scheme. He’s a nice player but he doesn’t fit in my mock offseason plans. There are plenty of 4-3 DL who are available.)
Re-sign List:
Darryl Roberts, CB. — gives us a decent depth option. He played admirable in his limited time.
Frankie Luvu - MLB depth. I’m a big fan of continuity and young guys who performed nicely in limited roles? I’m all for seeing what can become of them the next season.
Brandon Copeland - OLB Depth. 
Rontez Miles - S depth and reliable ST player. 

FA Signing Period:
Le’Veon Bell, RB  — Top 5 RB and elite at all the things that will take a load off Sam Darnold’s back!
Grady Jarrett, DT — just 25 years old and has plenty of room to grow. He notched in 6 sacks last season and 14 total in a 4 year career.
Bryce Callahan, CB — only one out of two carry over’s from my previous mock offseason. Callahan is everything you want in a Morris Claiborne replacement.
Rodger Saffold, OG — Saffold was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in 2010 and has given them nine seasons of consistent play since. This past season, Saffold helped anchor one of the top offensive lines in the league, with the ninth-best grade among all guards at 72.8. Entering his age 31 season, Saffold still has plenty to offer a team.
Mitch Morse, C — he has shown the ability to succeed in the NFL, particularly in pass protection. This past season, Morse allowed just five pressures in 534 pass-blocking snaps, and not one of those pressures was a sack. In fact, he has not allowed a sack since his rookie season in 2015.
Golden Tate, WR — some of you will gripe for me taking an older WR. But why not? He’s such a great hands catcher, great short/intermediate route runner and a security blanket for any QB. Give him a 2 year deal and get some nice middle of field action. I want my young WR in the draft anyway. I won’t take a younger guy in FA who will steal playing time from my drafted WR. 
Brock Osweiler, QB — back up who knows the offense.
The 2019 NFL Draft:
ARI selects Nick Bosa
SF selects Josh Allen
1st Round/#3 overall — Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson.
(I wanted a big time player to play in my new 4-3 scheme so I took Clelin Ferrell. If he tests good in the combine, I’d definitely make this selection. the next version should tell more on this #3 overall pick.
3rd Round — Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia.
(No Georgia bias..but I had to! Sure handed and a smooth route runner. He’d be gone if it wasn’t for limited exposure because DeAndre Swift was tearing it up. Sometimes Fromm only threw 12-15 times in a game)
3rd Round — Michael Dieter, Wisconsin, G/T
(a carry over from my first draft. I love his upside and I see him as an eventual starter in place of Brian Winters.)
4th Round — Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt, CB
(A tall ball hawk who has impressive ability to break on the ball. He has great athleticism and instincts. Definitely not like the last 4th Round CB draftee by the NYJ ...Juston Burris. I like Joejuan here because if I’m getting rid of Skrine and Claiborne, I need at least 3 more starting quality corners. You have Trumaine, Callahan, Roberts and joejuan battling it out with Parry Nickerson for who is #4)

Nice off season, but I think you meant to put Luvu on the edge, not at MLB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QB - Sam Darnold/Brock Osweiler
HB - Le’Veon Bell/Isaiah Crowell/Elijah McGuire
WR - Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Golden Tate, Riley Ridley, Deontay Burnett, Andre Roberts
TE - Chris Herndon, Jordan Leggett, Neal Sterling
LT - Kelvin Beachum
LG - Rodger Saffold
C - Mitch Morse
RG - Brain Winters
RT - Brandon Shell
——
CB: Trumaine Johnson, Bryce Callahan, Joejuan Williams, Daryl Roberts, Parry Nickerson
FS: Marcus Maye
SS: Jamal Adams
DT: Leonard Williams, Grady Jarrett
DE: Clelin Ferrell, Trey Flowers
OLB: Darron Lee
OLB: Jordan Jenkins
MLB: Avery Williamson

You forgot to add Flowers to your FA signings

Explain why you’d pick Ferrel over Ed Oliver or Quinnen Williams.

Sure. Wilkerson, Sheldon, Coples and Leo. No more DTs in the first round. Unless you are Aaron Donald, it’s just not a comparatively high value position. Take the edge rusher.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Because the route I went in FA doesn’t have me needing a DT in the form of Quinnen Williams or Oliver come Draft Time.

Wrong way to draft.  Especially at 3.  You're either committed to Ferrell or your not.  Take the best one.  DT is still a need anyway.  Williams would be in his walk year.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Because the route I went in FA doesn’t have me needing a DT in the form of Quinnen Williams or Oliver come Draft Time.

Grady is the priority FA for the Falcons.  I'll be shocked if he's not signed by them before FA starts.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/thomas-dimitroff-contract-negotiations-with-grady-jarrett-julio-jones-will-set-t

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wrong way to draft.  Especially at 3.  You're either committed to Ferrell or your not.  Take the best one.  DT is still a need anyway.  Williams would be in his walk year.

It just pains me to take a guy to do Leonard Williams job three spots higher than leo was taken, plus, there are so many 4-3 options to choose from in FA and most are relatively young still. If the Jets intend to evaluate next year and see if they are going to let him walk in 2020 than FA makes the most sense considering our cap flexibility. 

I’d rather take an edge rusher here and with Allen gone, I flirted with the idea of Rashan Gary and Jonah Williams but pre-combine without measurements ect, just decided Ferrell is the best pick there for now. I’m actually hoping the combine numbers speak for some other options at #3 because honestly its slim pickings there atm lol.. but maybe if DK shows out, Jonah measures an average wingspan or Clelin does have good movement skills to go along with his power...I can be a tad more flexible with the 3rd pick in the 3.0 version.

22 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Grady is the priority FA for the Falcons.  I'll be shocked if he's not signed by them before FA starts.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/thomas-dimitroff-contract-negotiations-with-grady-jarrett-julio-jones-will-set-t

I tried to keep it as realistic as I could in terms of considering if a team will want to resign their guy or not. That’s why I didn’t take a Matt Paradis, Demarcus Lawrence, ect but I didn’t know much about Garrett’s situation. Thanks! I’ll probably make a change to my FA signing next time.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It just pains me to take a guy to do Leonard Williams job three spots higher than leo was taken, plus, there are so many 4-3 options to choose from in FA and most are relatively young still. If the Jets intend to evaluate next year and see if they are going to let him walk in 2020 than FA makes the most sense considering our cap flexibility. 

I’d rather take an edge rusher here and with Allen gone, I flirted with the idea of Rashan Gary and Jonah Williams but pre-combine without measurements ect, just decided Ferrell is the best pick there for now. I’m actually hoping the combine numbers speak for some other options at #3 because honestly its slim pickings there atm lol.. but maybe if DK shows out, Jonah measures an average wingspan or Clelin does have good movement skills to go along with his power...I can be a tad more flexible with the 3rd pick in the 3.0 version.

In your scenario I would definitely go DK at 3.  Ridley may be gone by the 3rd so I would double up with maybe a Keelan Doss in the 3rd to pair with Metcalf.  

Archived