How much enthusiasm do you have for next season right now?

TuscanyTile2

I'm almost at the point of being resigned to the Patriots being in the Superbowl so I'm not that excited for next year (even though I probably will be by the time the season rolls around).  The Pats just won the Superbowl yet they're so well managed that they have a lot more picks than we do (7 in the top 120 I think).  Plus they're way better coached than we are and they don't seem to slow down or lose any fire.  Sure they'll probably have a rough start next season (2-2?  2-3?) but why would we expect anything other than the usual long winning streak followed by post-season success.  It's been the same story for almost 2 decades now.  And Bills and Dolphins fans are in the same predicament as we are.

That said, I am excited that we FINALLY have a potential FQB and he'll actually be in his 2nd season next year (which is usually when the winning starts).  But if we have some sort of major setback and it's another year of the Pats dominating the division then I think I'll almost be indifferent about the NFL at that point. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much. I think it’ll be a mess. Next year is all about 1. Darnold making a jump, 2. Seeing how Gase handles New York, and 3. Seeing if Greg Williams can squeeze a little juice out of the stiffs Maccagnan keeps drafting on defense. If Darnold goes crazy, we could do the 10-6 thing, but it’s more likely an 8-8, 7-9 type years while Gase cleans up the roster.

How about a "I don't give a rat's ass about the Patriocheats" thread for a change. Where is the Joy in Jetville?  We have a 22 year old stud Quarterback, a new coaching staff, a pocket full of spending money, a couple of pieces on the roster, and the #3 overall pick in the draft.  Until it's proven otherwise, the future looks bright. Let's stop the woe is me crap and get on with it.  I for one, can't wait.

If I had any confidence in the GM I'd be much more excited.  I did not like the coaching choice and our GM who is the same guy that has fallen hard on his ass in most regards.

Gase could prove me wrong and be good for all I know but mac has shown a big fat ZERO as a gm in building a good nfl roster.

I'm actually excited to see what happens next year.

Couple of things I think will happen.  It's going to be very entertaining, and the Jets will score a lot of points.  IMO the combination of Gase, and Williams will be part of the entertainment.  I mean, what could go wrong?

None the less, can't wait

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not much. I think it’ll be a mess. Next year is all about 1. Darnold making a jump, 2. Seeing how Gase handles New York, and 3. Seeing if Greg Williams can squeeze a little juice out of the stiffs Maccagnan keeps drafting on defense. If Darnold goes crazy, we could do the 10-6 thing, but it’s more likely an 8-8, 7-9 type years while Gase cleans up the roster.

Year one of new coaches always turns out well. With Darnold making a big jump, I really feel like they will get off to a fast start and do the 10 and 6 thing. The schedule with so little travel is going to help.

Would be nice to end the playoff drought.

I’m not. Next year is a huge question mark. New HC and OC that have been unsuccessful, a head strong DC that might clash with the HC, a second year potential franchise QB that has awful protection and limited playmakers around him, limited draft picks and options at 3 with a ton of hole to fill and a GM who doesn’t seem to think OL is important. If they **** up in FA it’s going to be a very long year. 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

:ahhh:   What a shocker

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Are you guys serious? I haven’t been more excited for a season in a long time. 

We have a 21 year old QB and get to see how he evolves year two under a highly regarded offensive coach.

Gotta fix that O line and get Sam some decent weapons. We have the high draft pick and cap space to get er done.

53 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm almost at the point of being resigned to the Patriots being in the Superbowl so I'm not that excited for next year (even though I probably will be by the time the season rolls around).  The Pats just won the Superbowl yet they're so well managed that they have a lot more picks than we do (7 in the top 120 I think).  Plus they're way better coached than we are and they don't seem to slow down or lose any fire.  Sure they'll probably have a rough start next season (2-2?  2-3?) but why would we expect anything other than the usual long winning streak followed by post-season success.  It's been the same story for almost 2 decades now.  And Bills and Dolphins fans are in the same predicament as we are.

That said, I am excited that we FINALLY have a potential FQB and he'll actually be in his 2nd season next year (which is usually when the winning starts).  But if we have some sort of major setback and it's another year of the Pats dominating the division then I think I'll almost be indifferent about the NFL at that point. 

This is kinda a drama queen post. 

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Are you guys serious? I haven’t been more excited for a season in a long time. 

We have a 21 year old QB and get to see how he evolves year two under a highly regarded offensive coach.

For real. “It’s all about QB! Might as well cancel the season without one, it’s all that matters!!”

Our QB plays better than every other QB in the final quarter of the season and people aren’t excited? 

3 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

In what way? In case you didn't notice, Belichick beat both Mahomes and Goff in his way to winning his 6th Superbowl.  If Darnold turns out to be as good as Mahomes we'll be bouncing off the walls.  Yet Belichick beat Mahomes on the road with a 41 year old QB.  

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

In what way? In case you didn't notice, Belichick beat both Mahomes and Goff in his way to winning his 6th Superbowl.  If Darnold turns out to be as good as Mahomes we'll be bouncing off the walls.  Yet Belichick beat Mahomes on the road with a 41 year old QB.  

Tongue in cheek. 

I’m 40 and have never had a FQB so as much as that excites me it’s tempered by what I see a an enormous talent gap between the jets and the good teams like the Rams and Chiefs and Chargers and even the Colts.

we don’t have a single above average offensive lineman nor a single electric skill position guy.  And Tom Brady has at least another year atop the AFCE. So I want to watch Darnold improve but I don’t think 10-6 is remotely possible.

16 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

There is a bit of a difference between being a jets fan since they drafted Darnold and being a jets for for 20 years.  We have been though decades of happy happy joy joy feelings with almost not evidence to suggest things are going to magically turn out rainbows.

We have a fantastic looking franchise Qb.

We have a new coach that got lousy result on offense in miami and who was turfed from that div rival.

We have a Gm that has proven he so far knows nothing about team building.

Will we get surprised?  Hopefully but realism is better than blind optimism.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Year one of new coaches always turns out well. With Darnold making a big jump, I really feel like they will get off to a fast start and do the 10 and 6 thing. The schedule with so little travel is going to help.

Would be nice to end the playoff drought.

I think we’ve seen first year bumps from our HCs because there’s a sugar-high effect, which rapidly disintegrates. I hope the Jets take a measured approach this time and rebuild in a smart, sustainable way. No signing Golden Tate or some washed up back, or a 33 year old guard. Have some patience and do it the right way.

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think we’ve seen first year bumps from our HCs because there’s a sugar-high effect, which rapidly disintegrates. I hope the Jets take a measured approach this time and rebuild in a smart, sustainable way. No signing Golden Tate or some washed up back, or a 33 year old guard. Have some patience and do it the right way.

I’m okay with the 33 year old guard. Spend the money and get a good product out this year. Then in a year spend again when you cut the 33 year old guard. We have the cap space and don’t owe Darnold money yet. Just buy quick fixes while drafting potential and make a push every year. Maybe Maccgets lucky and finds a gem or two in the draft.

7 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

How about a "I don't give a rat's ass about the Patriocheats" thread for a change. Where is the Joy in Jetville?  We have a 22 year old stud Quarterback, a new coaching staff, a pocket full of spending money, a couple of pieces on the roster, and the #3 overall pick in the draft.  Until it's proven otherwise, the future looks bright. Let's stop the woe is me crap and get on with it.  I for one, can't wait.

I hope we build a team that beats people up instead of trying to finesse them.  The Pats took that tack this season and they played better late than anyone.

Watching our division rival win another Super Bowl is always tough to stomach. The AFC East including the Jets have cleared a path for these Mofos for 17 years now, its disgusting seeing a team year after year having to win 2 games to get to the big game. 

That said, I truly believe Todd Bowles will go down in Jets history as one of the worst coaches right there with Lou Holtz & Rich Kotite. The OC that came out of the woods to resurrect his career after 5 years didn't help either.

Sam Darnold will finally have a real coach, a guy that will challenge him to be the best QB he can be & the defense will have a guy everyone has to answer to when they watch tape of their performances. 

I'm also looking forward to hearing Gronk has decided to hang them up. He might have lost some speed, look like his joints are made of rusty metal, but they'll never replace the blocking ability that beast brought to their running game. 

I love our schedule, plus I believe we might have a chance to win 5 division games, or at least 4. Compared to the last 8 years of opening the season with Sanchez, Geno, Fitz, or McCown we're actually starting a season with what might be our best QB in our history & that alone gives me hope.

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’m not. Next year is a huge question mark. New HC and OC that have been unsuccessful, a head strong DC that might clash with the HC, a second year potential franchise QB that has awful protection and limited playmakers around him, limited draft picks and options at 3 with a ton of hole to fill and a GM who doesn’t seem to think OL is important. If they **** up in FA it’s going to be a very long year. 

Macc will be a little more positive about OL with Sam to protect

7 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

To say the least. Gotta love it. Goodell's such a tool.

Kraft gives Goodell his job. Goodell gives Kraft his league. Boston fans think Goodell is screwing them. I mean, it’s almost high art at this point.

Archived