How much enthusiasm do you have for next season right now?

TuscanyTile2

I'm ready for the green and white confetti to drop in my sports pub after the Jets shock the world and win the AFC Championship vs the Colts...then those tears will flow down my cheeks as I feel the release of all those losing seasons from my Jets tortured soul. Jets vs Bears Super Bowl LIV. We all LIV for this moment Sam Batman Darnold leads us to a championship with our Robin box safety. Hallelujah!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm ready for the green and white confetti to drop in my sports pub after the Jets shock the world and win the AFC Championship vs the Colts...then those tears will flow down my cheeks as I feel the release of all those losing seasons from my Jets tortured soul. Jets vs Bears Super Bowl LIV. We all LIV for this moment Sam Batman Darnold leads us to a championship with our Robin box safety. Hallelujah!

21358364.gif

58 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

While Mac has his flaws he has done a good job pulling off trades that have helped the team.

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Link?

I'll go ahead and preempt your inevitable "HE TRADED UP FOR DARNOLD!" response, with this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

JANUARY 22, 2018

It’s Senior Bowl week. Heimerdinger meets Colts VP of player personnel Ed Dodds at the hotel bar at the Battlehouse in Mobile, Ala. Indianapolis has the No. 3 pick. The Jets have the No. 6 pick again

The conversation between Heimerdinger and Dodds gets the wheels turning on the latter.

Heimerdinger and Dodds leave Mobile with an agreement to keep talking. And thus, the Jets accomplish a goal.

MARCH 4, 2018

Heimerdinger and Dodds meet for a drink at the JW Marriott bar in Indy. Heimerdinger inquires if other teams have asked about the third pick. Both leave with the idea of continuing talks if the Jets’ pursuit of Cousins fails.

MARCH 13, 2018

Maccagnan had promoted Heimerdinger to vice president 10 months earlier, so he trusted his No. 2 to lead the effort from the team facility. That frees the GM up to fly to Norman, Okla., for Mayfield’s March 14 pro day, then to Los Angeles for Rosen’s pro day on March 16.

Before any of that, Heimerdinger calls Dodds in Indianapolis: “We’re gonna need the pick.”

MARCH 13-17, 2018

Indeed, this is where relationships are important….Dodds and Heimerdinger have one. Indy VP Rex Hogan worked for the Jets from 2015 to ’17, with ties to Maccagnan and Heimerdinger. The Jets know they can trust Indy, and they’re willing to pay a little over the point value to get the third pick, in exchange for Indy keeping the talks confidential.

On Thursday, March 15, Dodds passes Heimerdinger off to Ballard, and the deal is done early Saturday. The Jets send their slotted second-rounders for 2018 and ’19, plus the Richardson second-rounder, to Indy to move up from 6 to 3, knowing there are three QBs they’d value there.

Not much mention of Maccagnan there.  Heimerdinger used a prior relationship and his negotiation skills to make this deal happen.  Macc only really deserves credit for promoting Heimerdinger to be his # 2 guy, and that's about it. 

5 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Trading Sheldon for a #2 and Kearse.  Trading that #2 and two others for Darnold.  Anderson for a seventh.

We should have traded Sheldon the year before when his value was at its peak.  Or traded Wilkerson rather than signing him to a mega-deal.  He gets very few points for that deal. 

I already debunked the Darnold trade for multiple reasons, above. 

Anderson was a good trade. 

Your debunking notwithstanding, the Darnold trade was a great one.  We got the franchise QB we always wanted and did not have to give up this year's (or any year's) #1 pick unlike many others who have moved up to get their guy.

Trading Sheldon when they did is not the point.  The point is Mac got a second round pick and a solid receiver (something they desperately needed) for a malcontent.  Most on this board are willing to trade Leo for a second or third rounder.

Yes Anderson was a great trade.

6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Your debunking notwithstanding, the Darnold trade was a great one.  We got the franchise QB we always wanted and did not have to give up this year's (or any year's) #1 pick unlike many others who have moved up to get their guy.

Yes, but you credited Macc, and that was inaccurate. 

And even having said that, there are 2 things that Macc also needs to be criticized for:  1) Kirk Cousins was his "Plan A".  He offered more money than any other NFL team to Kirk.  Luckily, Cousins declined.  2) We didn't trade up for Darnold.  We traded up to a spot.  We very easily could have ended up with Josh Allen at QB. 

So to summarize, the most important trade in Macc's tenure was:  1) Not conceived or executed by Maccagnan, 2) Only occurred because we failed to sign Kirk Cousins, and 3) Was done "into the blind" and required a lot of good fortune to end up with Darnold falling into our laps.

None of that should give you any confidence whatsoever that Macc is good at making trades, and will use that skill to make good things happen this offseason.

You're focused on the end result and not the process by which Darnold got to us.  And that is very important when projecting out what Macc will be able to accomplish going forward.

7 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Trading Sheldon when they did is not the point.  The point is Mac got a second round pick and a solid receiver (something they desperately needed) for a malcontent.  Most on this board are willing to trade Leo for a second or third rounder.

Signing Bridgewater and trading for a 3rd is a good one too.

Overall, I don't think Mac is a good GM.  I even think he overpaid in picks to get Darnold, and it remains to be seen whether it was worth it.  

But the one thing he has been pretty good at is trades.  Unfortunately been bad at draft and FA.   

13 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Mahommes was available to MAC and he passed as he had his boy in "HACK" so let's not rewrite history.  We gave up 3 2nds to get Darnold. That is a HUGE price.   MACC has not shown he has a clue on how to build a team so Darnold may actually be "fukked" being a JET.  Just like the rest of us.

Ok then!  :)

First, to think that Heimerdinger made all of those moves without Mac's knowledge and approval is not realistic.  If I'm the GM and I have a guy who has a relationship with another GM or team, I'm happy for him to be my mouth piece.  To take away any credit from Mac just doesn't make sense to me.

Next, moving to three for three seconds when you know there are at least two QBs you want (Darnold and Mayfield) is a prudent move.  The reality is he knew one of them would make it to three which made it a great trade.  And in the worst case, your third guy (Allen) would be there makes it a relatively safe risk.  He gave up much, much less than the Rams and Eagles gave up to get Goff and Wentz.  The bottom line is he got his guy for a reasonable amount.  I'm not going to let my disappointment with his drafts and other player evaluations (e.g., decision to trade Sheldon a year before he did) take away credit where it is actually due.

As jpoppy said, his signing of Teddy and then trading him for a third was brilliant.  It was a No RISK/HIGH reward move.  There's a good chance that pick will be packaged to move up to get a higher pick.

7 hours ago, Gibby said:

Really? Tough crowd. I'll be sure to keep a lookout for your post in the future to be sure all the I's are dotted & the T's are crossed. ?? 

I wasn’t giving you crap for making the mistake.  I was just commenting out how funny the mistake turned out to be.  The words “premium” and “perineum” have very different meanings - lol. 

Im surprised nobody else caught it. I almost requested assistance from Tom Shane for the joke writing but was too lazy. 

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yeah...  it was great if mediocrity floats your boat.  You must be a Pennington fan?

Not to mention that Woody took over in 2000 and the Brady era started in 2001.  What we did in 2001-2010 was kind of amazing considering the circumstances.

The older I get the more I realize watching these games is about family.  Growing up I remember my dad, grandfather, brother watching games and now I get to watch with my kids.  Those memories mean more than wins and losses.  I hope someday we win a super bowl and it will be really special celebrating with my family but I don't have any control over whether the Jets win or lose and when they do I appreciate it.  I feel bad for those that are miserable all the time.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll go ahead and preempt your inevitable "HE TRADED UP FOR DARNOLD!" response, with this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

Not much mention of Maccagnan there.  Heimerdinger used a prior relationship and his negotiation skills to make this deal happen.  Macc only really deserves credit for promoting Heimerdinger to be his # 2 guy, and that's about it. 

When Heimerdinger initiates and sends someone out to represent him, when he is the one who ultimately signs off on the deal, then he gets credit.  Not for being the envoy.

He's made lots of mistakes, this isn't one of them.  The deal was Maccs.  No matter how that doesn't fit the argument 

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

More like years 1-4 Woody had a roster entirely built by Parcells that got to the playoffs three out of 4 seasons until it crashed and burned in 2005

Bradway and Rex both publicly said they wanted Wilson and hated Stephen Hill.  Tebow was Woody’s hero

And to top it all off Woody supported Idzik deciding not to sign any nfl caliber for 2 years then blamed Rex for it and then overcompensated giving Revis a $100 million when he was old and had man boobs

Oh and both the Redskins and Knicks have made the playoffs more recently than the jets

we only made the playoffs one time in the 4 years under BP(including the Groh year), the next 4 years we'd make it 3 times so even if it was a "Parcells roster" we did more after he left.  But let's look at the rosters of the 1998 Jets, 2001 Jets, 2002 Jets and 2004 Jets.

Staring lineups:

1998:

acquired Pre Parcells: 5 on O,3 on D

acquired by Parcells: 6 on O, 8 on D

total: 8 pre, 14 by

2001:

pre: 2 on O, 5 on D

by: 9 on O, 4 on D

total: 7 pre, 13 by, 2 post

2002:

pre: 2 on O, 2 on D

by: 8 on O, 3 on D

total: 4 pre, 11 by, 7 post

2004:

pre:: 0 on O, 0 on D

by: 6 on O, 2 on D

total: 8 by, 14 post

No roster was ever entirely built by BP, it was a good mixture and it started turning more toward Bradway post 2001. B/c of severe cap issues from parcells we had to retool after 2001 and we were lucky for the expansion draft which took 2 huge salaries off the books and allowed us to compete in 2002 but it also cost us 3 starters.

Bradway was not the GM and rex had major influence on that draft.  Woody did not prevent anyone from taking Russell.

Woody was involved w/ Tebow and that was a mistake but his biggest mistake was firing Tannenbaum which eventually led to Rex getting fired. He made mistakes but we never had 2 losing seasons in a row when Woody was around, we made the playoffs w/ 3 different coaches, we won only our 2nd ever AFC East title and we had two opportunities to play for the right to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl.

Since Woody has been our owner:

6 playoff apps

6 playoff wins

1 division  title(the ONLY non Brady div title in the Brady era)

2 conf championship games

Snyder in the same time period:

4 playoff apps

1 playoff win(WC round)

played in much easier division

Dolan in same time period:

5 playoff apps(in a sport where it's easy to make the playoffs)

won a grand total on ONE playoff series

won a grand total of 9 playoff games where all but one of the series they were involved in were 7 games series.

But yeah these guys are comparable to Woody

44 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Not to mention that Woody took over in 2000 and the Brady era started in 2001.  What we did in 2001-2010 was kind of amazing considering the circumstances.

The older I get the more I realize watching these games is about family.  Growing up I remember my dad, grandfather, brother watching games and now I get to watch with my kids.  Those memories mean more than wins and losses.  I hope someday we win a super bowl and it will be really special celebrating with my family but I don't have any control over whether the Jets win or lose and when they do I appreciate it.  I feel bad for those that are miserable all the time.

Please, listen to yourself.  I don't live in a 3rd place trophy world. Save the pep talks for millenials .  

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yeah...  it was great if mediocrity floats your boat.  You must be a Pennington fan?

I'm not trying to be a wise a**, I'm really not, and you're not the only one who feels this way. What I can't understand is how a successful, educated person like yourself can feel the way you do about a man who's owned a team for 20 years, and still remain a fan.. It makes no sense to me.

As I said, I credit you for being an intelligent person, but you have to realize the Johnson family isn't going to sell the team, so why would you continue to invest your time in something you feel is run so incompetently and you see never changing for the better as long as that man remains in charge?

Please don't tell me its because you grew up rooting for the team and will always be a fan, because if your posts are to be believed you've become bitter and without hope. That's the exact opposite of a fan. So seriously, whats your reason for sticking around? I'm not judging, just trying to understand.

14 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Oh... how we forget.  You can't suck for 50 years without effort.  But let's stay on the Johnson era. Nothing he has done tells me we will or can win a SB.  I LOVE Darnold but that's one piece. We draft poorly, develop poorly, overpay vets. So..  Ill simply wait and watch.  Trust fund and NFL success are not correlated.

I mean really, what can you possibly be enjoying about rooting for this team if this is truly how you feel.... 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm not trying to be a wise a**, I'm really not, and you're not the only one who feels this way. What I can't understand is how a successful, educated person like yourself can feel the way you do about a man who's owned a team for 20 years, and still remain a fan.. It makes no sense to me.

As I said, I credit you for being an intelligent person, but you have to realize the Johnson family isn't going to sell the team, so why would you continue to invest your time in something you feel is run so incompetently and you see never changing for the better as long as that man remains in charge?

Please don't tell me its because you grew up rooting for the team and will always be a fan, because if your posts are to be believed you've become bitter and without hope. That's the exact opposite of a fan. So seriously, whats your reason for sticking around? I'm not judging, just trying to understand.

I mean really, what can you possibly be enjoying about rooting for this team if this is truly how you feel.... 

You did make me laugh....    I’ll give you that.  

seriously .  How old are you? 

52 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You did make me laugh....    I’ll give you that.  

seriously .  How old are you? 

Old enough to remember Namath and John Huarte both being drafted in "64. And thinking Huarte would be the better QB, LOL.

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Old enough to remember Namath and John Huarte both being drafted in "64. And thinking Huarte would be the better QB, LOL.

OK Then I'll tell you, I am a Jets fan, it's in my blood. BUT I am a fan of business, am very active in a few and I am a veracious reader of business books, success etc.  I really don't get tied up emotionally in the NFL so for me it's fine. I would LOVE a SB but I believe the NFL owners  should be criticized when after years and tears they show they are inept.   I actually don't understand fans of blind homerism that say  "Jets til I die", Redskins  etc... after 10 losing seasons.    But I accept that they exist.  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

OK Then I'll tell you, I am a Jets fan, it's in my blood. BUT I am a fan of business, am very active in a few and I am a veracious reader of business books, success etc.  I really don't get tied up emotionally in the NFL so for me it's fine. I would LOVE a SB but I believe the NFL owners  should be criticized when after years and tears they show they are inept.   I actually don't understand fans of blind homerism that say  "Jets til I die", Redskins  etc... after 10 losing seasons.    But I accept that they exist.  

Off topic but what are some of your favorite business books that you've read.  You can chat me if the forum doesn't want this posted here (and if you have the inclination - lol).

None ... It will grow as it is earned ... I don't give a rats ass about uniforms. I care about wise acquisitions to the OL .. and a good draft. Then my bits and pieces may move ... A bit.

If we overspend on problem children or aging pastprimes ... I'll know what to expect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wasn’t giving you crap for making the mistake.  I was just commenting out how funny the mistake turned out to be.  The words “premium” and “perineum” have very different meanings - lol. 

Im surprised nobody else caught it. I almost requested assistance from Tom Shane for the joke writing but was too lazy. 

OH!!! Totally get it. That is  why I responded with a happy face. All good bro

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I feel very much the same way you do, it turns out. I misread your comments on ownership, taking them as more then criticism. It seemed your dislike for ownership had reached the point where you saw no reason for hope, thus my questioning why you'd want to continue to support this franchise.

I tend to be more reserved in my judgement toward both the team's management, and especially the players. I try to give whomever the GM or HC is the benefit of the doubt, but only to a point. If I don't expect miracles, but I want more then competency. In such a highly paid profession where there are only 30 such positions available, being average shouldn't be good enough.

My "fandom" is often questioned here because I'm not as quick with praise either. I don't see things as many here do. I don't see this teams immediate future as bright as others do, and I'm not ready to proclaim a player like Darnold certain for stardom. I think he has chance to become the player we hope, but I've seen a lot of water under the bridge over the years and need to see more from him then a 3 game run before I anoint him as a savior. I prefer to wait and see his progression. 

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I feel very much the same way you do, it turns out. I misread your comments on ownership, taking them as more then criticism. It seemed your dislike for ownership had reached the point where you saw no reason for hope, thus my questioning why you'd want to continue to support their franchise.

I tend to be more reserved in my judgement toward both the team's management, and especially the players. I try to give whomever the GM or HC is the benefit of the doubt, but only to a point. If I don't expect miracles, but I want more then competency. In such a highly paid profession where there are only 30 such positions available, being average shouldn't be good enough.

My "fandom" is often questioned here because I'm not as quick with praise either. I don't see things as many here do. I don't see this teams immediate future as bright as some do, and I'm not ready to proclaim a player like Darnold certain for stardom. I think he has chance to become the player we hope, but I've seen a lot of water under the bridge over the years and need to see more from him then a 3 game run before I anoint him as a savior. 

Im also colored by the fact that I know/have had social interaction with 2 NFL GM's. The GM of the Bills worked with me in a CPA firm in 1996 as an intern and the Panthers GM is a member at my golf club. These guys don't aren't always as smart as we think and I believe MAC has fooled his way to the top and now he is exposed. Happens in business all the time.

51 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Off topic but what are some of your favorite business books that you've read.  You can chat me if the forum doesn't want this posted here (and if you have the inclination - lol).

Once you're lucky, twice your good. Internet 2.0  Fantastic!

The world is flat

Blue Ocean Strategy

Whole New Mind

Free Agent Nation

Millionaire next door

Common sense on Mutual funds

Unconventional success

The last 2 are investment books.  If you read those,  you will be wealthier than 90 percent of your peers. 

Archived