Jump to content

Top Free Agents: Edge Defenders | PFF


LAD_Brooklyn

Recommended Posts

 

I like the idea of getting Brandon Graham. A dependable vet who due to age maybe the most cost efficient on the list. Wouldn't have to even move going from Philly to NJ.

Would like to stay away from Clowney. It would be a huge mistake to pay huge bucks for an elite  run stopper. Then again if our options diminish we'll have no choice.

I'm intrigued with Barrett. Would definitely take a flier on him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Out of all the options I would consider realistic, I probably prefer Trey Flowers the most.

Won’t cost you $16+ million a year, is still only 25 years old, plays the run well and can give you 7-8 sacks a season, has plenty of experience in big games, etc.

always skeptical of patsie players although flowers is a free agent so it's not like bellichicken can oversell him.  and getting a key player from a division rival isn't such a bad thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the cap space available we have to get 2 of the available Edge guys. Fowler improved with the Rams and his price has increased but he should still be cheaper than Clowney and Lawrence. Pair Fowler or Clark with Graham or Preston Smith and we’ve bought 2 seasons where we can draft a replacement. Alternatively, we can push hard for Lawrence or Clowney and still try to get a cheaper option like Barr or Preston Smith. This is where the money should go this offseason in order to give us the best flexibility to trade back in the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best part about saving a bunch of money for FA and banking on that as your strategy to how you're going to "spring this thing forward" is, you cant control the market.  Half these dudes will face a franchise tag and the other half will resign in house.  It will be cool to see what scraps are leftover once the dust settles. 

You'd think after a hard pursuit and denial of Cousins, Hightower and any other top end FA all failing, Mac would learn his lesson but here we are!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

The best part about saving a bunch of money for FA and banking on that as your strategy to how you're going to "spring this thing forward" is, you cant control the market.  Half these dudes will face a franchise tag and the other half will resign in house.  It will be cool to see what scraps are leftover once the dust settles. 

You'd think after a hard pursuit and denial of Cousins, Hightower and any other top end FA all failing, Mac would learn his lesson but here we are!

 

Graham, for one, will almost certainly not be back with the Eagles due to cap problems there.  Can't speak to Flowers but seems unlikely he'll get a franchise tag based on BB's past history.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

With the cap space available we have to get 2 of the available Edge guys. Fowler improved with the Rams and his price has increased but he should still be cheaper than Clowney and Lawrence. Pair Fowler or Clark with Graham or Preston Smith and we’ve bought 2 seasons where we can draft a replacement. Alternatively, we can push hard for Lawrence or Clowney and still try to get a cheaper option like Barr or Preston Smith. This is where the money should go this offseason in order to give us the best flexibility to trade back in the draft.

Everytime I saw Fowler in the Super Bowl he was either doing something stupid or getting pushed around.  I think he is a knucklehead.  We should be avoiding him.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Graham, for one, will almost certainly not be back with the Eagles due to cap problems there.  Can't speak to Flowers but seems unlikely he'll get a franchise tag based on BB's past history.  

There are no easy answers here.  Graham is the right type of guy for the Jets to sign.  The Jets basically guarantee him 2 years in a signing bonus allocable over 3.  If in the last year he is done, he is cut and you move on.  Sub-optimal, but that is what you have to do when you can't draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Graham, for one, will almost certainly not be back with the Eagles due to cap problems there.  Can't speak to Flowers but seems unlikely he'll get a franchise tag based on BB's past history.  

The patriots have to resign one of Flowers and Trent Brown.  They won’t resign both that’s not Belichick’s style

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

Everytime I saw Fowler in the Super Bowl he was either doing something stupid or getting pushed around.  I think he is a knucklehead.  We should be avoiding him.

There are no easy answers here.  Graham is the right type of guy for the Jets to sign.  The Jets basically guarantee him 2 years in a signing bonus allocable over 3.  If in the last year he is done, he is cut and you move on.  Sub-optimal, but that is what you have to do when you can't draft.

Id rather sign Fowler than most of these low ceiling JAGs people are fawning over

 

Fowler is a risk but at least there’s a payoff if he doesn’t self destruct off the field.  The rest of these guys Graham, Smith, Barrett are 4-5 sack per season guys and aren’t better than Jordan Jenkins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Brandon Graham is a mediocre pass rusher who specializes against the run.  Why not just stick with Jenkins then if we are going ultra conservative at pursuing DE/OLB?

Have you ever watched the Eagles play? Graham is a pressure monster. He’s strong and plays a big role in controlling a game. Graham may not put up big sack numbers but his pressure numbers are through the roof.

Preston Smith is not a solution to our problems but he is a player we should pursue to pair with a Fowler or Clark or Flowers. Smith was miscast this year playing a lot of standup linebacker and would be a great depth/ 2 down guy for us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The patriots have to resign one of Flowers and Trent Brown.  They won’t resign both that’s not Belichick’s style

The nature of going to the Superbowl, has likely inflated Patriot FA prices into the stratosphere.  When NE's D was struggling early in the season Flowers was likely going to finish the year with the potential to be had for an excellent deal.  Now he will likely command big money out there, so I doubt it makes sense for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Graham, for one, will almost certainly not be back with the Eagles due to cap problems there.  Can't speak to Flowers but seems unlikely he'll get a franchise tag based on BB's past history.  

I dont see the Pats letting Flowers walk.  Maybe he doesnt get franchised but he he's not leaving NE IMO.

I dont understand the appeal to Graham.  He's not an edge rusher and he's old. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I would look into Fowler and bring back Sheldon or Grady Jackson. One thing the playoffs showed, it still won by old school football.  Defensive pressure up the middle and strong running game. Good OL and running backs I mean freaking Pats bought back the fullback.  We are going to need 2 DL and still draft one. Otherwise is going to be a long year for Darron Lee also. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The patriots have to resign one of Flowers and Trent Brown.  They won’t resign both that’s not Belichick’s style

Good point.  I'm hoping they sign Flowers because there aren't many other options at LT in free agency.  And to have that issue solved prior to the draft opens things up quite a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd target Anthony Barr. Doesn't have a ton of sacks because Minnesota played him in coverage a lot, but Barr was a blue chip pass rush prospect coming out of the draft. Has been a good pass rusher when given the opportunity and can probably be had relatively inexpensive since he will hit FA as a LB (instead of as an edge). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Have you ever watched the Eagles play? Graham is a pressure monster. He’s strong and plays a big role in controlling a game. Graham may not put up big sack numbers but his pressure numbers are through the roof.

Preston Smith is not a solution to our problems but he is a player we should pursue to pair with a Fowler or Clark or Flowers. Smith was miscast this year playing a lot of standup linebacker and would be a great depth/ 2 down guy for us. 

What are pressure numbers and where do you find them?  He seems well below Williams in QB hits, and similar or slightly better in sacks/tackles for loss.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Have you ever watched the Eagles play? Graham is a pressure monster. He’s strong and plays a big role in controlling a game. Graham may not put up big sack numbers but his pressure numbers are through the roof.

Preston Smith is not a solution to our problems but he is a player we should pursue to pair with a Fowler or Clark or Flowers. Smith was miscast this year playing a lot of standup linebacker and would be a great depth/ 2 down guy for us. 

Graham has had 6 or more sacks twice in 9 years in the nfl

 

He is not a good pass rusher. Sorry 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What are pressure numbers and where do you find them?  He seems well below Williams in QB hits, and similar or slightly better in sacks/tackles for loss.  

He found them on the on the same website that other guy cited which said Darron Lee was the best coverage LB in the entire nfl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

Good point.  I'm hoping they sign Flowers because there aren't many other options at LT in free agency.  And to have that issue solved prior to the draft opens things up quite a bit.

Besides Brown there is Ty Nsekhe from the redskins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'd target Anthony Barr. Doesn't have a ton of sacks because Minnesota played him in coverage a lot, but Barr was a blue chip pass rush prospect coming out of the draft. Has been a good pass rusher when given the opportunity and can probably be had relatively inexpensive since he will hit FA as a LB (instead of as an edge). 

Where would you play him?  He was a guy some of us were throwing around for the Jets 3-4, but coming to Gregg Williams, he is probably playing more Sam. no?  Doubt his sack numbers go up, or he solves our lack of DE/EDGE in that case.  Still somebody to consider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Where would you play him?  He was a guy some of us were throwing around for the Jets 3-4, but coming to Gregg Williams, he is probably playing more Sam. no?  Doubt his sack numbers go up, or he solves our lack of DE/EDGE in that case.  Still somebody to consider.

My guess is that Gregg Williams is watching film right now and trying to figure out how many starters for his defense are currently on the roster.  

It could be

Leo-DT

Somebody from the heap for the other tackle.

Avery-MLB

Lee-WLB

Trumaine-CB

Jamal-SS

Maye-FS

If Jenkins could play DE or SLB, and one of the other CBs could start, that is two more.  

Pretty much it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What are pressure numbers and where do you find them?  He seems well below Williams in QB hits, and similar or slightly better in sacks/tackles for loss.  

Watch the video above. Graham is a weird player because he always has good pressure stats but never the sack total. He’d be a great piece to have opposite a younger less complete player like Fowler.

 

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Graham has had 6 or more sacks twice in 9 years in the nfl

 

He is not a good pass rusher. Sorry 

Have you ever watched the Eagles play? He’s a good player and he breaks down the pocket well using strength. PFF has him showing well in pass rush and run defense plus he’d be good with a younger, faster player opposite him. He’s not the solution by himself but he’d greatly benefit this team if he’s paired with Fowler, Clark or Flowers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Watch the video above. Graham is a weird player because he always has good pressure stats but never the sack total. He’d be a great piece to have opposite a younger less complete player like Fowler.

 

Have you ever watched the Eagles play? He’s a good player and he breaks down the pocket well using strength. PFF has him showing well in pass rush and run defense plus he’d be good with a younger, faster player opposite him. He’s not the solution by himself but he’d greatly benefit this team if he’s paired with Fowler, Clark or Flowers.

The eagles have other guys who do what you say and deserve credit for that most notably fletcher cox and Michael Bennett who he would not have the convenience of playing next to here

 

Guy is a glorified Bryan Thomas

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

My guess is that Gregg Williams is watching film right now and trying to figure out how many starters for his defense are currently on the roster.  

It could be

Leo-DT

Somebody from the heap for the other tackle.

Avery-MLB

Lee-WLB

Trumaine-CB

Jamal-SS

Maye-FS

If Jenkins could play DE or SLB, and one of the other CBs could start, that is two more.  

Pretty much it. 

 

I think Jenkins is mobile enough to play SLB in a 4-3.  That might actually be his natural position

 

No one runs a pure 4-3 or 3-4 anymore except a couple teams like the Giants.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Guy is 33 and never started more than 5 games in a season.  He is an intriguing guy, but not a guy you offer starting LT money  

He started at LT last year after Trent Williams got hurt and played well

 

not a lot of wear and tear for his age.  Andrew Whitworth is much older and arguably the best LT in the nfl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He started at LT last year after Trent Williams got hurt and played well

 

not a lot of wear and tear for his age.  Andrew Whitworth is much older and arguably the best LT in the nfl

You're kind of stretching things.  He played well on a team with a poor offensive line with tons of injuries.  He can play some guard, but he missed some time with injuries himself.   The guy will turn 34 next season and he was playing on a 2nd round tender.  This is his first time as an unrestricted free agent.  Callahan was the Redskins offensive line coach.  Much will depend on what the Jets want to do on the offensive line. I have read that Nsekhe has great feet, but that was in DC area fluff pieces.  You can't sign this guy to a standard starting LT contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marcus Maye and Fowler are tight but Fowler’s is a bad egg, him refereeing a girl fight wasn’t a one time slip but rather emblematic of his character. He fought his own teammates in Jax, under performed, disappointed and lives wearing gold grillz and the like. Giving him long money is a risk.

id swing big and break the bank for Demarcus Lawrence - I’d give him Trumaine Johnson money ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Where would you play him?  He was a guy some of us were throwing around for the Jets 3-4, but coming to Gregg Williams, he is probably playing more Sam. no?  Doubt his sack numbers go up, or he solves our lack of DE/EDGE in that case.  Still somebody to consider.

Honestly? I'd stick him on the edge in the 4-3. He weighs 255lbs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...