D.K. Metcalf

30 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

DK Metcalf. If he runs under a 4.55 he will be in the same neighborhood as Mike Evans (4.53). Hes HUGE. 6'4 230, with ridiculously long arms. Huge catch radius. Beats guys deep, wins 50/50 balls. Has an iniury history, but they all do. Hes a bigger Braylon Edwards without baggage. Hes probably faster than Brandon Marshall, but without his baggage. Hes young, but has an amazing lineage, Father, Grandfather, and Uncle all played Pro Football. He gets it. Dude was a MAN in the SEC, not Div.2. 

Jets haven't had a guy like this, a true, young, drafted #1 WR since arguably Keyshawn Johnson. (Ran around a 4.5 flat at 6'3 215 at his combine).

If DK blows up the combine and puts in a performance near Mike Evans, just turn in the card. Screw the top 100 lists and professional draft hobbyists telling you you "MUST DRAFT DEFENSIVE TACKLE X", or "BPA is the ONLY way to go"....thats how you wind up drafting Defense 18 out of 20 times, and end up with an underachieving DT and a Safety over Mahomes. And if you dont think theres "value" with the O linemen this year, you take a chance on the freak, possibly elite #1 receiver for your second year QB to grow up with. 

And laugh at Kiper and McSham and all of the amateur draftniks while you do it. 

sounds like a good reason to trade down.  stay in the top 10 and then a guy like this could be justified.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How would you say he compares to Stephen Hill? I'm really just being a wise ass but your description of this guy reminds me a lot of the people who would pump up Hill as the next coming.

Stephen Hill went to Georgia Tech and didn’t develop as a pass catcher in part to their heavy run offense. He just kind of looked the part. DK can play ball though.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

N'Keal Harry/Marquise Brown/Parris Campbell/Riley Ridley/Kelvin Harmon/AJ Brown/JJ Arcega Whiteside/Deebo Samuel are also legit #1 WR potential guys. 

Personally, N'Keal Harry is my #1 guy. I do think this year's combine is one of the most important combines for WRs that I can remember. We have a bunch of really talented, big kids that are pretty interchangeable. Their 40 times and other results could jump 1 or 2 to the top. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

DK Metcalf. If he runs under a 4.55 he will be in the same neighborhood as Mike Evans (4.53). Hes HUGE. 6'4 230, with ridiculously long arms. Huge catch radius. Beats guys deep, wins 50/50 balls. Has an iniury history, but they all do. Hes a bigger Braylon Edwards without baggage. Hes probably faster than Brandon Marshall, but without his baggage. Hes young, but has an amazing lineage, Father, Grandfather, and Uncle all played Pro Football. He gets it. Dude was a MAN in the SEC, not Div.2. 

Jets haven't had a guy like this, a true, young, drafted #1 WR since arguably Keyshawn Johnson. (Ran around a 4.5 flat at 6'3 215 at his combine).

If DK blows up the combine and puts in a performance near Mike Evans, just turn in the card. Screw the top 100 lists and professional draft hobbyists telling you you "MUST DRAFT DEFENSIVE TACKLE X", or "BPA is the ONLY way to go"....thats how you wind up drafting Defense 18 out of 20 times, and end up with an underachieving DT and a Safety over Mahomes. And if you dont think theres "value" with the O linemen this year, you take a chance on the freak, possibly elite #1 receiver for your second year QB to grow up with. 

And laugh at Kiper and McSham and all of the amateur draftniks while you do it. 

We were talking about him last night in @Patriot Killa's mock draft. Can you tell me more about his "injury history"? 

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

N'Keal Harry/Marquise Brown/Parris Campbell/Riley Ridley/Kelvin Harmon/AJ Brown/JJ Arcega Whiteside/Deebo Samuel are also legit #1 WR potential guys. 

Personally, N'Keal Harry is my #1 guy. I do think this year's combine is one of the most important combines for WRs that I can remember. We have a bunch of really talented, big kids that are pretty interchangeable. Their 40 times and other results could jump 1 or 2 to the top. 

Yes, the combine is going to play a bigger part this year of sorting these guys out. Some of those names though have no place in this conversation. 

44 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Stephen Hill went to Georgia Tech and didn’t develop as a pass catcher in part to their heavy run offense. He just kind of looked the part. DK can play ball though.

So did Demaryius Thomas.  A scout has to be able to figure out (or at least make a good guess) which players will turn out like DT, and which players like SH.

What people to continue to overlook is how BAD the Jets scouting has been over the last 3 GMs.  If a coach can't find a player, the player is not found.  Look at the lower round picks?  Scouting is supposed to find those.  

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

So did Demaryius Thomas.  A scout has to be able to figure out (or at least make a good guess) which players will turn out like DT, and which players like SH.

What people to continue to overlook is how BAD the Jets scouting has been over the last 3 GMs.  If a coach can't find a player, the player is not found.  Look at the lower round picks?  Scouting is supposed to find those.  

Yep I agree but I just don’t think it’s been overlooked lol. It’s been the center of discussion for four years now on reasons why we dislike Mike Maccagnan.

• Upvote 1

Latest On Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/ole-miss-wr-d-k-metcalf-cleared-for-football-activity

Ole Miss wide receiver D.K. Metcalf has been cleared for all football activity with no limitations, as Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets. The projected first-round pick underwent neck surgery last October, but it sounds like his issue will not hinder his draft stock. 

Already, Metcalf has begun training for the draft combine and he will participate in all activities once he arrives in Indianapolis. There may be some rust to shake off, but he has roughly one month before things get underway on Feb. 26.

Metcalf’s true freshman season ended after just two games thanks to a broken foot, but he returned in 2017 to average 16.6 yards per catch and score seven touchdowns. In 2018, he was averaging 21.9 yards per grab and notched five TDs in seven games before he was shut down for the season. His injury history will be a concern, but he’s still expected to be among this year’s top draft prospects.

He’s raw, but there’s a lot of upside because he’s so big and talented,” an NFL scout told Yahoo Sports last year. “He’ll probably go in the second round because he’s so talented. He’s going to kill workouts, and he’s a good kid and football is important to him. I’d be shocked if the health checks out if he lasts past the second round.”

D.K. Metcalf**, WR, Ole Miss 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 230. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.58. 
Projected Round (2019): 1-2. 

2/2/19: Metcalf went out for the year with a neck injury after seven games. Prior to that, he was playing well, exploiting a lot of man coverage with teams focused on stopping A.J. Brown. For his 2018, Metcalf totaled 26 receptions for 569 yards and five touchdowns. The big wideout has mismatch size and is a red-zone weapon for the NFL. He should have returned to Ole Miss for 2019, but he decided to enter the 2019 NFL Draft. His medical exam and his route-running are going to be very important for his draft grade. 

Metcalf is a love/hate prospect. Some team sources think he could be drafted in the No. 15-25 range, but others have him in Round 4 and don't think he has enough speed to be effective in the NFL.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019WR.php#ixzz5emIiju1x

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019WR.php#VFus7aCsYxpQQwPv.99

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How would you say he compares to Stephen Hill? I'm really just being a wise ass but your description of this guy reminds me a lot of the people who would pump up Hill as the next coming.

I'm not sure he's Hill but their level of production in college is eerily similar.  Metcalf scares the ever living snot out of me.  

The OP compared him to Mike Evans and I have no earthly clue where that comparison comes from, nowhere even close the same production in college.  

I wouldnt touch him personally.  At #3???? OMG hell no.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Definitely not at 3 with those red flags but the kid has a good set of mitts on him. Saved his QB from bad throws quite a bit and made some nice catches. Also seemed hard to bring down but also was like a man among boys in college. I'd definitely take him on our team as a mid/late first rounder. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

sounds like a good reason to trade down.  stay in the top 10 and then a guy like this could be justified.

If theres no trade down to be had, whats the F#CKING DIFFERENCE if you take a guy at 3 or 8? Results matter, not what laughable "Draft Grade" Mel Kioer or PFF gives them 3 days after the draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

What’s wrong with taking him at #3. No guarantee we’ll get an offer. If he’s the guy, then he’s the guy

if he's the guy then maybe.  but it does look like he's got some injury issues so there is some risk and it's quite possible he doesn't stay in the first round.  and, not for nothing, we've seen lots of reaches by mac on guys who should've been first rounders except they were injured etc.  i don't want to see the jets reaching, especially with the 3rd pick.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Should we call Matt Millen for input?  

Thats a funny throw away line. Lets delve into it.

Charles Rodgers MSU 2003 #2 pick: His life was a mess off the field. His injury was bad, but then he broke his clavicle a second time and basically left the team out of despair. He went on to have multiple drug suspensions, and as of now has been arrested about 20 times for various things. Taken at #3 overall that year? ANDRE JOHNSON. He was OK for a while....lol

Mike Williams, USC, 10th pick 2005: Sat out his last season at USC trying to leave early. Reported to the Lions out of shape and overweight. Played with Joey Harrinton. LOL. Pick #3 THAT year? Braylon Edwards. Had a devent career playing with guys like Derek Anderson, Mark Sanchez etc. 

So yeah.....no.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Stephen Hill played in a triple option offense that threw the ball 3 times a game and used 1 guy (him) in 1 route (9). 

A lot of you guys said that MacCagnan would rightly be laughed out of the league if he traded down from the #3 overall  to #15 {Redskins pick} this year to receive a #2 and #3 this year plus a #2 next year.  Seems to me that DK Metcalf or some very similar talent would be available in that same #15 overall selection, while the proposed trade down would have garnered an additional #2 and #3 this year and a #2 next year.  Yet MacCagnan wouldn't be "laughed out of the league" for taking Metcalf a #3  overall?  What's up with that?  Sorry at #3 overall, No, just say NO.

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

A lot of you guys said that MacCagnan would rightly be laughed out of the league if he traded down from the #3 overall  to #15 {Redskins pick} this year to receive a #2 and #3 this year plus a #2 next year.  Seems to me that DK Metcalf or some very similar talent would be available in that same #15 overall selection, while the proposed trade down would have garnered an additional #2 and #3 this year and a #2 next year.  Yet MacCagnan wouldn't be "laughed out of the league" for taking Metcalf a #3  overall?  What's up with that?  Sorry at #3 overall, No, just say NO.

Who do you prefer if we cannot trade down? Josh Allen, Rashan Gary, Jonah Williams?

24 minutes ago, rangerous said:

if he's the guy then maybe.  but it does look like he's got some injury issues so there is some risk and it's quite possible he doesn't stay in the first round.  and, not for nothing, we've seen lots of reaches by mac on guys who should've been first rounders except they were injured etc.  i don't want to see the jets reaching, especially with the 3rd pick.

Indeed. I’m saying if he’s the guy, and by that I mean the medical checks out, and the workouts look good, then he’s the guy. What does it matter if he’s taken at 4 or 10 or 12 etc. no one will care to three years from now

• Post of the Week 1