Add Everson Griffen to the LIKELY list of Edge Rushing FAs

JoJoTownsell1

http://www.startribune.com/everson-griffens-contract-puts-his-status-with-vikings-in-question-for-2019/505413522/

Looks like the Vikes, thanks in part to Cousins, may have to let Griffen go. Griffen is a stud edge rusher and perfect for the Jet's new 4-3 Defense. Yeah, he has mental health issues and a down year, but if he checks out, he could be worth the gamble. 

This is looking like a better-than-expected year to be in the market for an edge rusher thanks to cap casualties. 

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Pass rushers and O-line can play into mid to late 30’s I agree if he gets cut sign him

He had 5.5 sacks this season. If he can be a solid rotational player and give us 5.5 sacks, I would be happy with that. There’s a decent edge rusher market this year...I’m open to anyone right now.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

A 31 yr old with mental health issues. Hell no. Too many other options

There is a long list of edge rushers that play great into their mid 30's. Peppers/Freeney/Thomas/Suggs/Allen/Strahan etc..

Getting to the QB is one of those skill sets that actually get better as players get older/smarter. I'm not giving him a long term deal and any deal should allow us to get out after 2-3 years without a cap hit. 

Griffen's only issue, and it's a big one, is what is going on between his ears. 

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He had 5.5 sacks this season. If he can be a solid rotational player and give us 5.5 sacks, I would be happy with that. It’s a decent edge rusher market this year...I’m open to anyone right now.

5.5 sacks in just 11 games while dealing with mental problems. If he can get his mental situation straightened (like Brandon Marshall) he could easily be a double digit sack guy next year. 

11 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The guy is literally a walking-case of CTE and the NFL has buried its head in the sand. Sad to say, but if he lives past 40 I'll be surprised.

Not every NFL player with mental health issues is a victim of CTE. Some people are born with chemical imbalances. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He had 5.5 sacks this season. If he can be a solid rotational player and give us 5.5 sacks, I would be happy with that. There’s a decent edge rusher market this year...I’m open to anyone right now.

He also only played in 11 games 

This is a guy you sign to make sure you have a backup DE for a Super Bowl or deep playoff run.

He is basically a DE version of Brandon Marshall, who was good one year than collapsed.

At this point this team is still building and trying to build a culture.  We don't need any nutjobs until the roster is more fully constructed.

I really hope that Mac can get to the point where we all think that the roster is more fully constructed.  That would be basically 5+ good draft picks and 10 decent signings.  

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

http://www.startribune.com/everson-griffens-contract-puts-his-status-with-vikings-in-question-for-2019/505413522/

Looks like the Vikes, thanks in part to Cousins, may have to let Griffen go. Griffen is a stud edge rusher and perfect for the Jet's new 4-3 Defense. Yeah, he has mental health issues and a down year, but if he checks out, he could be worth the gamble. 

This is looking like a better-than-expected year to be in the market for an edge rusher thanks to cap casualties. 

Should have drafted him when he came out, but we went with Vlad Ducasse in the second round....

What a disaster that draft was...Kyle Wilson, Dumbasse, Joe McKnight, John Connor. Wow. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Ok so we should stick with young guys who suck and don’t have mental issues?

Lol. Yes, we should. No. We talked before about other guys who'll be available. I hope Griffen's has control of his issues. Wish him the best. He did threaten to shoot people, and allegedly broke into a friends home. The Vikings set up a monitoring program for him.

4 hours ago, genot said:

A 31 yr old with mental health issues. Hell no. Too many other options

28 minutes ago, genot said:

Lol. Yes, we should. No. We talked before about other guys who'll be available. I hope Griffen's has control of his issues. Wish him the best. He did threaten to shoot people, and allegedly broke into a friends home. The Vikings set up a monitoring program for him.

If this guy is even a little off his game both on the field and off he could have a problem with all that comes with playing in NY.

Oh and this guy had what? 5 sacks? So did Brandon Copeland. Just sayin'.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

If this guy is even a little off his game both on the field and off he could have a problem with all that comes with playing in NY.

Oh and this guy had what? 5 sacks? So did Brandon Copeland. Just sayin'.

I agree with you. I hope he lives the rest of his life without any more episodes. It's just too much of a gamble for where we're at as a team.

It might be wise for Everson to retire and enjoy life with his family.  Never got in trouble, but he really enjoyed the student life at USC.  Frat boy, vacationing in the Hamptons with his fraternity buddies, but good hearted kid.  

Mental health issues can manifest in college age years and early thirties.  Wish him the best.

You can not just build through the draft, this isn't ******* Madden. The Rams just made it to the Super Bowl with 11 of the 22 starting players that were drafted by the team. You have to use all avenues to build a team not just the draft. They used the draft, FA and trades. That's the way to do it. 

The draft should be used to build cheap depth for your team in round 3-7 but if you're expecting to get multiple starters in any draft that's asking a lot. Here are the percentages of drafting a starter in the NFL based on round:

1st Round: 29.9%

2nd Round: 17.5%

3rd Round: 12.6%

4th Round: 10.8%

5th Round: 6.4%

6th Round: 4.9%

7th Round: 4.2%

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/

Counting on the draft to fill your team with starters is a losing strategy and not realistic. Of course you can get starters from the draft but when you're talking about a team who needs a significant number of starters added to the team in one off-season counting on only the draft is not a good idea.

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

It’ll be very interesting to see who of these pass rushers actually shake loose. Lawrence, Clowney, Ford, Clark could all get franchised.  Fowler is a bad apple, Griffey has serious mental health issues. But any of them would instantly be the Jets best pass rusher.

Lawrence absolutely will be franchised

Clowney I don’t know.

Ford is fools gold.  High bust factor if the jets sign him

Fowler I do think the jets should try to sign.  He is a risk but he has a way higher ceiling than some of the duds people keep bringing up who aren’t better than Jordan Jenkins at rushing the qb

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Lawrence absolutely will be franchised

Clowney I don’t know.

Ford is fools gold.  High bust factor if the jets sign him

Fowler I do think the jets should try to sign.  He is a risk but he has a way higher ceiling than some of the duds people keep bringing up who aren’t better than Jordan Jenkins at rushing the qb

I thought cowboys might be worried about the cap with having to resign Dak in the next couple years. If he shakes free he’s the guy you break the bank for. 

Yeah Fowler May the the target- he’s good friends with Marcus Maye which could help recruiting.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

I thought cowboys might be worried about the cap with having to resign Dak in the next couple years. If he shakes free he’s the guy you break the bank for. 

Yeah Fowler May the the target- he’s good friends with Marcus Maye which could help recruiting.

Fowler will go where the money is.  As long as Mac offers the biggest number he’ll be a jet

I can’t see the boys letting Lawrence go

On 2/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Loved him when he was at USC. Great player but his "health" issues have me concerned. I'd still sign him if the $$ is right.

Archived