New York Jets Free Agent Candidate: WR Adam Humphries

Jetsfan80

https://empirewritesback.com/2019/02/06/new-york-jets-free-agent-candidate-wr-adam-humphries/

New York Jets Free Agent Candidate: WR Adam Humphries

by Alan Schechter

The New York Jets will be looking to add weapons to aid in the development of Sam  Darnold. A player that would make a difference is Adam  Humphries.

The New York Jets have begun what will be an enormously important off-season. Fans all know why.

Sam Darnold has the makings of finally being that quarterback we have all been waiting for. But they have to take care of him. They can’t screw this one up. It has to be done right and the time window is now. Darnold is under his rookie contract, and they have the cap room to get it done.

We talk a lot about the need for offensive line and a pass rush. They also need to line as many talented weapons around Darnold as possible. With not a ton of depth to go with Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson, there are openings.

One guy worth taking a look at is Adam Humphries.

Humphries went to Tampa Bay as an undrafted rookie out of Clemson in 2015. He never scored more than two touchdowns or amassed more than 483 yards in a season.

He isn’t the prototypical size for today’s game, standing at a mere 5-11. He’s an inch taller than Julian Edelman but that’s not the prototype.

Humphries has had to fight for targets with players like Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson, Cameron Brate and O.J. Howard.

What has Humphries done for himself? Carved himself a role that has given him 105 targets and 76 receptions in 2018, good for 816 yards and five scores.

Even with that, he catches the passes that are thrown at him. Over the last two seasons, his catch percentage hasn’t dipped below 72%.

According to Pro Football Focus, Humphries also has never dropped more than four passes in a season.

Simply put, Adam Humphries is a reliable receiver that would pay big dividends paired up with Sam Darnold. His ability as a possession receiver will only enhance the openings down the field for a guy like Robby Anderson.

The question is whether or not he will hit the open market. Don’t forget the Bucs have the opportunity to re-sign the wide receiver before he ever entertains another offer.

According to Spotrac, Humphries has a market value of approximately $10.4 million per year. The Jets can afford it if he shakes free.

He would be a big help.

For more grades, advanced statistics and more at Pro Football Focus, subscribe to PFF’s EDGE or ELITE subscriptions at ProFootballFocus.com.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is the kind of free agent signing i can get behind.  He wont break the bank and is a good team guy.

This would be a patriot like signing.

Agreed.  $10+ million per is a lot to pay for a slot receiver, but its where we are in the NFL today.

My Plan B if Humphries gets brought back by Tampa Bay would be to sign Cole Beasley. 

He's not a bad player and would be a fine signing but this team needs a big threat on the outside for Darnold to throw the ball to. That player isn't really out there though this off season so the Jets may have to wait or get creative and try and swing a trade or hope they can pickup a steal in the draft. 

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's not a bad player and would be a fine signing but this team needs a big threat on the outside for Darnold to throw the ball to. That player isn't really out there though this off season so the Jets may have to wait or get creative and try and swing a trade or hope they can pickup a steal in the draft.  

Exactly.  Which is why it makes sense to spend on a slot receiver in free agency and search for the outside guy in the draft.  This year's crop seems to have a lot of those, though they all have question marks. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed.  $10+ million per is a lot to pay for a slot receiver, but its where we are in the NFL today.

My Plan B if Humphries gets brought back by Tampa Bay would be to sign Cole Beasley. 

I actually prefer Beasley over Humphries

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Today’s nfl is all about throwing in between the numbers.  Tyreek Hill on the chiefs is really the only downfield threat who consistently is productive and that’s because Mahomes can throw 60 yard bombs like its nothing

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

IMO Cole Beasley would be a great pick up. These slot guys who can get open and catch everything are valuable...

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Who is better this guy or cole beasely?

Per PFF and Football Outsiders, based on 2018 numbers, its Humphries:

PFF

• Adam Humphries:  75.2 (# 32 WR)
  • Cole Beasley:  74.6 (# 34)

FO

• Adam Humphries:  # 28 in DVOA
  • Cole Beasley:  # 38 in DVOA

In 2017, Humphries was # 36 in DVOA.  Beasley, battling injuries and a poor overall year by the offense, was # 74.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I find the amount of time and attention being thrown at our slot receiver situation /Humphries to be... puzzling. 

If Quincy Enunwa had shown any ability to stay on the field the last several seasons, the slot receiver spot wouldn't be a concern at all. 

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Excuse me but have you not heard of our lord and savior Deontay Burnett!!?? (Sarcasm)

Burnett catches EVERYTHING, does not turn 22 until next October. And he's CHEAP! Let's develop some of our own guys for a change! Burnetts quick, runs great routes & catches the ball. If we sign Bell & get a bigger, faster outside WR, fix the Oline so Sam has time, defenders will have the entire field to cover making it even easier to get open over the middle. Herndon should make a huge leap too & become a weapon that needs to be covered.

Jets lacked options last year, Quincy was hurt, Anderson was doubled, and our running game went straight down the toilet in the 2nd half of the season. Look at the Patriots in the 2nd half, the running game actually hid Bradys slight decline. Hell, if we could give Sam the running game the Patriots had in those 2 playoff games & the Super Bowl, he could win a championship. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, Cole would be a good signing. Quincey needs some company in the trainers room.

According to overthecap.com, here is the current spending by position:

Team QB RB WR TE OL Offense DL LB S CB Defense
TOP 12 21.86% 5.98% 24.94% 9.91% 37.31% $92,854,336.50 31.98% 27.04% 18.70% 22.28% $68,333,800.50
AVE 24.04% 7.11% 23.27% 9.20% 36.38% $86,864,145.34 34.51% 26.52% 16.17% 22.80% $72,518,364.31
BOTTOM 11 24.99% 10.30% 21.87% 7.53% 35.31% $75,932,588.18 38.13% 26.33% 14.22% 21.33% $72,127,382.18
JETS 17.13% 15.67% 14.49% 3.65% 49.06% $40,140,854.00 30.81% 27.22% 16.32% 25.65% $64,066,474.00

More evidence of the trend in the NFL to spend on offense.  The average of the top 12 playoff teams outspent the average of the bottom 11 teams by $17M.  I was thinking that the top teams had a franchise QB that they are paying for hence the success but the bottom 11 teams allocated more money toward the QB position than the top 12.  Even without the Eagles at $133M, the rest of the playoff teams would have still outspent the bottom 11 by $14M. 

The Jets are in a great position with a rookie QB and a solid developing TE.  This would allow them to spend heavily on the OL and WR.  The Jets already allocate enough to the RB position.  $11M for a slot receiver (heavily utilized in Gase's offense) and a couple of premium O-lineman.

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Golden Tate is the guy. He can be our #1 guy. I like Humphries as a #3

Tate is not a #1. Been watching him with the Lions since they got him. 

Burnett is a nice player but he is not a difference maker yet. He may turn out to be something but now? No.

12 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Tate is not a #1. Been watching him with the Lions since they got him. 

Burnett is a nice player but he is not a difference maker yet. He may turn out to be something but now? No.

Tate is really a #2 or a 1B but on the Jets as they are now, he would lead the way. 

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'd much rather they take a chance as on Eli Rogers for about half the cost.

Under no circumstances should they pursue Golden Taint.  Let someone else overpay him.

Fast forward to March, when the Jets sign Tate to a 4-year, $50 million deal with $20 million in guarantees.

Pac:  "Remember when people said Macc was dumb and should be fired?  They have to feel awfully dumb right now."

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fast forward to March, when the Jets sign Tate to a 4-year, $50 million deal with $20 million in guarantees.

Pac:  "Remember when people said Macc was dumb and should be fired?  They have to feel awfully dumb right now."

This would 100% happen but I you have to admire Pac following Mac's vision perfectly here.

Why spend money on good players?  When you can literally throw money away on cheaper sh*ttier players guaranteed to suck and not be on the roster next season.  It's the Mac special and Pac approves! 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

This would 100% happen but I you have to admire Pac following Mac's vision perfectly here.

Why spend money on good players?  When you can literally throw money away on cheapers sh*ttier players guaranteed to suck and not be on the roster next season.  It's the Mac special and Pac approves!  

And when those sh*tty players fail, the blame falls on Adam Gase.

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At least your fairy tales are consistent.  I'm always playing the role of Macc defender despite the fact I lambasted him for the Fitzpatrick fiasco.

Sorry to spoil your narrative twerp, but if Macc wastes money on Golden Taint he will catch my ire.

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why spend money on good players?  When you can literally throw money away on cheaper sh*ttier players guaranteed to suck and not be on the roster next season.  It's the Mac special and Pac approves! 

The fact that you've been giving Tate e-handjobs for months is all the proof necessary to make your opinion on this topic completely invalid.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

The fact that you've been giving Tate e-handjobs for months is all the proof necessary to make your opinion on this topic completely invalid.

Yes, me wanting the best WR on the market who has proven year over year to be reliable, healthy and consistently gets open and catches the ball to the a clip of 90 receptions a year to pair with my 22 year old QB is a terrible idea.

Instead, lets go get a guy who had 12 receptions last year and see how he does because that's how you develop a young QB!

Pac, man, you're smart.

Julian Edelman turns 33 next season.  The Pats should probably drop him when you think about it.

Antonio Brown turns 32 next season.  I wouldnt touch him if he was free of cost!!! 

Julio Jones turns 31 next season.  I wonder if the Falcons wise up and go younger!

AJ Green turns 31 next season.  I wouldnt take him for a 6th round pick. 

But if Eli Rodgers wants to come to NYC, I'd roll out the red carpet. 

Archived