New York Jets Free Agent Candidate: WR Adam Humphries

Jetsfan80

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, me wanting the best WR on the market who has proven year over year to be reliable, healthy and consistently gets open and catches the ball to the a clip of 90 receptions a year to pair with my 22 year old QB is a terrible idea.

Instead, lets go get a guy who had 12 receptions last year and see how he does because that's how you develop a young QB!

Pac, man, you're smart.

In 18' Taint had 77 receptions for 795 yards and 4 TDs.

Robbie had 50 receptions for 752 and 6 TDs.

Your plan is to pay Tate 4 times more than Robbie for the same production.

Go to bed.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JiF said:

Julian Edelman turns 33 next season.  The Pats should probably drop him when you think about it.

Antonio Brown turns 32 next season.  I wouldnt touch him if he was free of cost!!! 

Julio Jones turns 31 next season.  I wonder if the Falcons wise up and go younger!

AJ Green turns 31 next season.  I wouldnt take him for a 6th round pick. 

But if Eli Rodgers wants to come to NYC, I'd roll out the red carpet. 

Now Golden Tate is Antonio Brown..

Seriously...  go to bed.

Just now, Pac said:

Go to bed.

Pac, hot take bro!!!!   Never mind the 5 season prior where he had over 90+ receptions and 1000+ yards!  Remember when the Super Bowl champs traded for him midseason and he had that go ahead catch in the playoffs this season?  Me either!!!

Cost????  OMG???!!!  When you think about it, its like, why even spend any of the 2nd most cap space in the league?  Especially if it helps a 22 year old QB.  That would be sooo dumb!!!!  Especially when you can get Eli Rodgers on the cheap!  That's how we're going to support Sam!

Have you sent your application into Mac yet?  I dont think you'd have to interview, if I'm being honest. 

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Julian Edelman turns 33 next season.  The Pats should probably drop him when you think about it.

Antonio Brown turns 32 next season.  I wouldnt touch him if he was free of cost!!! 

Julio Jones turns 31 next season.  I wonder if the Falcons wise up and go younger!

Tate and Beasley are no hall of famers.  You can easily find more WR's on the wrong side of 30 on the decline.  That's a very small sample.  We want someone that can play with Sam for years. We're not in a win now mode.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Now Golden Tate is Antonio Brown..

Seriously...  go to bed.

That exactly what I said, hot take Pac!!!!! You're on fire!!!

Now, let's get back on the Eli Rodgers topic.  Did you see all 12 of his receptions last year?  They were amazzzzinnnnngggg!!!!

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

That exactly what I said, hot take Pac!!!!! You're on fire!!!

Now, let's get back on the Eli Rodgers topic.  Did you see all 12 of his receptions last year?  They were amazzzzinnnnngggg!!!!

Eli Rogers will be a steal for whoever gets him for the money he'll get.  

Write it down.

Or would you rather we keep pretending I called him a #1 reciever?

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pac, hot take bro!!!!   Never mind the 5 season prior where he had over 90+ receptions and 1000+ yards!  Remember when the Super Bowl champs traded for him midseason and he had that go ahead catch in the playoffs this season?  

He was a complete non factor for the Eagles other than that catch.

But now that I know he had a decent season in 2013 I've changed my mind.  Let's give him 15 mil a year.

Just now, rayzor said:

Tate and Beasley are no hall of famers.  You can easily find more WR's on the wrong side of 30 on the decline.  That's a very small example.

You're missing the point.  Dont be Pac.  Bad person to follow with the worst track record on the board. 

3 of the best WR's in the NFL are +30.  The Super Bowl MVP is 33.  WR is not a position where you hit a wall at 30.   You can play well into your 30's.  Golden Tate gives Sam Darnold something he doesnt have currently and didnt have last season.  A professional WR who is consistently available, consistently open and consistently catches the ball.  Someone he can trust to be in the right spot every time he snaps the ball.  Q and Anderson are good but they're far from Tate's level of consistency.  There isnt a single WR on the market that gives you what Tate will. 

It's not about long term.  It's about Darnold's development right now.  You dont take chances on that.  You get guys who can help him even if it's for a year or 2 while he himself, learns how to be consistent and just hope that Big Mac can develop a pipeline of WR's to step up when Darnold himself has come into his own.  Cost be damned.  You cant put a monetary value on Darnold's development. 

2 hours ago, Pac said:

He was a complete non factor for the Eagles other than that catch.

But now that I know he had a decent season in 2013 I've changed my mind.  Let's give him 15 mil a year.

Jeffery was the only WR who had more catches than Tate once he started playing after the trade.  Jeffery had 6 more receptions during that time frame on 20 more targets.

In 2017, Tate had 92 receptions, 1003 yards, and 5 TD's.  He wasnt as good in 2013, unfortunately. 

Tate has never made near 10 million in a year but sure he'll get his biggest paycheck at this point in his career. 

Hot takes, Pac!!!!!

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Go to bed.

Why are we comparing a Slot receiver to a Flanker? Tate is a Slot receiver. Right now, the only slot guys we have are Q (who should be a SE) and Deontay Burnett. Robbie Anderson is a Z all day. Golden Tate would be a great add as a reliable option at Slot, and if we draft D.K., we have him and Anderson outside, Q and Tate inside, and the ability to mix up looks on O. Ghost amd Jet sweeps to Q and Tate with 230lb Metcalf blocking downfield. Yummy. Then put LeVeon Bell at HB. 

Thats a scary offense. If O line is at least solid.....

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is the kind of free agent signing i can get behind.  He wont break the bank and is a good team guy.

This would be a patriot like signing.

you new jets type of signing. all kidding aside the guy looks like a good player and will be good from the slot.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Tate is looking for his 3rd team in the last 6 months.  We should want no part of this guy.

Not his fault.  Golden Tate was a piece added by the Eagles to help them make the playoffs, which he did.  He is a good hands, dependable wide out who had over 90 receptions for four years in a row.  Although he is 30 years old, he is a veteran wide receiver who knows how to get open and for the right price would be a great addition to the Jets.  He would bring veteran leadership and produce.  You can bank on it.  As for a different  slot receiver, if the Jets have their hearts set on signing a younger player, my preference would be Humphries.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Why are we comparing a Slot receiver to a Flanker? Tate is a Slot receiver. Right now, the only slot guys we have are Q (who should be a SE) and Deontay Burnett. Robbie Anderson is a Z all day. Golden Tate would be a great add as a reliable option at Slot, and if we draft D.K., we have him and Anderson outside, Q and Tate inside, and the ability to mix up looks on O. Ghost amd Jet sweeps to Q and Tate with 230lb Metcalf blocking downfield. Yummy. Then put LeVeon Bell at HB. 

Thats a scary offense. If O line is at least solid.....

The point is Golden Tate is not worth the money he'll be asking for.  Now if you're telling me he can be had for 5 Mil a year then sure - sign him.

Anything more than that is a waste of time and money.  I'd rather have Humphries than Tate but Rogers over both of them when taking money into account.

There is no game changing WR to be had in FA and anything Tate can do will be equal to or only slightly better than much less expensive alternatives.

16 hours ago, JiF said:

You're missing the point.  Dont be Pac.  Bad person to follow with the worst track record on the board. 

3 of the best WR's in the NFL are +30.  The Super Bowl MVP is 33.  WR is not a position where you hit a wall at 30.   You can play well into your 30's.  Golden Tate gives Sam Darnold something he doesnt have currently and didnt have last season.  A professional WR who is consistently available, consistently open and consistently catches the ball.  Someone he can trust to be in the right spot every time he snaps the ball.  Q and Anderson are good but they're far from Tate's level of consistency.  There isnt a single WR on the market that gives you what Tate will. 

It's not about long term.  It's about Darnold's development right now.  You dont take chances on that.  You get guys who can help him even if it's for a year or 2 while he himself, learns how to be consistent and just hope that Big Mac can develop a pipeline of WR's to step up when Darnold himself has come into his own.  Cost be damned.  You cant put a monetary value on Darnold's development. 

I would be happy to have him at the right price.  The reason Detroit traded him was because they got wind that he was seeking Landry/Evans money.  15-16M.  I doubt he will get that considering his age but i'd think he will be looking to at least get Sanders/Baldwin money which is around 11M.

Haven't read the thread, and will assume the consensus is the guy is a good slot receiver we should go all in for. I disagree. My problem with him is not his talent, but the priority of spending cap money a player like him. Bell is my priority #1. He upgrades the run and pass game more then anyone out there. He is a must sign for this team. Next priority should be a ER or OL. Slot WR is not high on my list, I'd be happy with Burnett getting a long look there. We need to develop from within somewhere and I think this can be done here with him.

We have way too many needs to fill in a single offseason, and slot receiver should not be one we pay a premium price to fill. Its nice to imagine every "name we know" can be signed, but I'd rather get a C and G then one Humphries at the same price. We should concentrate on using both the draft and cap money on our glaring needs. The OL was horrible and simply cannot remain that way with a young QB now on board. Same with our ability to put pressure on the opposing QB. We are lacking there also, and Williams should have a voice if he thinks he sees a player available to help with it.  

18 hours ago, JiF said:

Football players are no good after 30 unless you're running a glue factory.

The way to develop a young QB is to surround him with the least-experienced players possible, because if they pan out beyond expectations then their careers will be longer than a 31 year-old geezer. 

How dumb are you that you can't do these easy maths?

36 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I would be happy to have him at the right price.  The reason Detroit traded him was because they got wind that he was seeking Landry/Evans money.  15-16M.  I doubt he will get that considering his age but i'd think he will be looking to at least get Sanders/Baldwin money which is around 11M.

People need to get over this "right price" crap, no offense.  Here's the reality, you cant put a price tag on the development of Sam Darnold.  You dont take chances or worry about over spending, you commit to surrounding him with reliable targets that consistently get open and catch the Football.  The Jets have 100mil + in cap space, every single penny should be spent toward surrounding Sam with as much help as he can get it.  What else are you going to do with the money?

The other factor, this day in age in FA, you got to pay to play.  Bottom line.   And if your strategy as an organization was to save for  a big spending spree on FA's in the offseason, than you have to deal with an inflated market along the way.  Donte Moncrief made 9mil on the open market last year.  Donte ******* Moncrief.  I'd rather pay Golden Tate at 31, 12-14 mil all day long than go sign a sh*t bag like Donte Moncrief for 9 mil.  It's great that Tate wants Landry/Evans money but he's not in his mid 20's anymore.  He'll find himself on the market a very long time if that's his sticking point.

The idea of wasting 6-7 mil on a sh*t bag like Eli Rodgers vs. paying 12 mil on one of the most reliable WR's in the league is laughable.  Dont be laughable ie; dont be Pac. 

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Football players are no good after 30 unless you're running a glue factory.

The way to develop a young QB is to surround him with the least-experienced players possible, because if they pan out beyond expectations then their careers will be longer than a 31 year-old geezer. 

How dumb are you that you can't do these easy maths?

I'm great at the maths, check it:

Golden Tate - 12 mil

Eli Rodgers - 7 mil

That's 5 mil in savings!

Fast forward to week 10, Q is hurt and Robby Anderson is suspended and Eli Rodgers is our #1.  Sam finished the game completing 40% of his passes, threw 4 INT's because nobody could get open and the Jets cant score but all good homey, we saved 5 million passing on that fossil Golden Tate for Eli Rodgers!!!!

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

Wow you're really doubling down on this Golden Tate thing.  Laughable.

Thankfully I dont see our Jets even giving him a call.

You're laughable. 

Golden Tate is a preference I'm not tied to him, there are other guys out there I like that I'd be fine with as well; Humphries, Crowder, Beasley, Williams, etc.  I'm not dead set on Tate and I wont be upset if we dont sign him but using him as to smack your terrible logic around and show how utterly incompetent you are is good fun! 

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

People need to get over this "right price" crap, no offense.  Here's the reality, you cant put a price tag on the development of Sam Darnold.  You dont take chances or worry about over spending, you commit to surrounding him with reliable targets that consistently get open and catch the Football.  The Jets have 100mil + in cap space, every single penny should be spent toward surrounding Sam with as much help as he can get it.  What else are you going to do with the money?

The other factor, this day in age in FA, you got to pay to play.  Bottom line.   And if your strategy as an organization was to save for  a big spending spree on FA's in the offseason, than you have to deal with an inflated market along the way.  Donte Moncrief made 9mil on the open market last year.  Donte ******* Moncrief.  I'd rather pay Golden Tate at 31, 12-14 mil all day long than go sign a sh*t bag like Donte Moncrief for 9 mil.  It's great that Tate wants Landry/Evans money but he's not in his mid 20's anymore.  He'll find himself on the market a very long time if that's his sticking point.

The idea of wasting 6-7 mil on a sh*t bag like Eli Rodgers vs. paying 12 mil on one of the most reliable WR's in the league is laughable.  Dont be laughable ie; dont be Pac. 

100M is not as much as you think especially with 1/3 of your roster gone.  I agree the priority is to help Sam but you still have to watch what you spend on.  If we land Bell and one of the top pass rushers, a third of that cap is gone on only 2 players.

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

100M is not as much as you think especially with 1/3 of your roster gone.  I agree the priority is to help Sam but you still have to watch what you spend on.  If we land Bell and one of the top pass rushers, a third of that cap is gone on only 2 players.

They're going to have more than 100mil when it's all said and done and they should have plenty to build around Sam.  And if not, then go bargain shopping on D and the areas where we need a warm body.  We've already invested a ton into that side of the ball and the D still sucks, so leave it be.  Spend on weaponz and OL because again, you cant put a price tag on Sam's development. 

My offseason plan is simple; sign Bell, sign 1 or 2 of: Tate, Humphries, Crowder, Beasley, Williams. Sign a C and G.  Draft pass rusher at #3 and offense the rest of the way; OL, WR, RB...all of it!   Find cheap warm bodies for the rest of the holes.  Hopefully Mac can actually hit on a few draft picks for once which would aid in this roster construction as well.  

Dont over complicate it.  Investing in Sam is all that matters.  They're not winning the Super Bowl next season.  They'll have another offseason to continue to add and another after that before we really see a competitive team.

#Mac's 7 year plan.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

They're going to have more than 100mil when it's all said and done and they should have plenty to build around Sam.  And if not, then go bargain shopping on D and the areas where we need a warm body.  We've already invested a ton into that side of the ball and the D still sucks, so leave it be.  Spend on weaponz and OL because again, you cant put a price tag on Sam's development. 

My offseason plan is simple; sign Bell, sign 1 or 2 of: Tate, Humphries, Crowder, Beasley, Williams. Sign a C and G.  Draft pass rusher at #3 and offense the rest of the way; OL, WR, RB...all of it!   Find cheap warm bodies for the rest of the holes.  Hopefully Mac can actually hit on a few draft picks for once which would aid in this roster construction as well.  

Dont over complicate it.  Investing in Sam is all that matters.  They're not winning the Super Bowl next season.  They'll have another offseason to continue to add and another after that before we really see a competitive team.

#Mac's 7 year plan.

I think they are going to have to spend fairly big on at least 1 CB and 1 EDGE type -either OLB or DE who will presumably play DE in this system.

Saying they have spent big on D and it still sucks doesn't mean they don't have to field a team.  They spent big on the secondary, but all that is left at CB is Trumaine Johnson, Parry Nickerson and Derrick Jones. That is like sayng they spent on O line because they paid Long and Clady. 

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think they are going to have to spend fairly big on at least 1 CB and 1 EDGE type -either OLB or DE who will presumably play DE in this system.

Saying they have spent big on D and it still sucks doesn't mean they don't have to field a team.  They spent big on the secondary, but all that is left at CB is Trumaine Johnson, Parry Nickerson and Derrick Jones. That is like sayng they spent on O line because they paid Long and Clady. 

I actually used the word "invested" vs. spent.  But I see your point and my still remains; go cheap and get warm bodies at every position that's not on offense.

They can find their DE at #3.  That's the way this draft is shaping up anyway.  I know there are a few edge rushers out there but once the dust settles with resigns and franchise tags, that pool will dwindle. CB - just bring back Mo for a year.  The D is done.  Force Mac to play his draft picks and expose his incompetence even more.

Now go surround Sam with all that money.

21 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Tate is looking for his 3rd team in the last 6 months.  We should want no part of this guy.

That's not a fair assessment, the guy was traded in order to get a pretty nice haul because he was heading into free agency.  Tate is very productive over the middle and is the best free agent wide receiver on the market.

21 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That's not a fair assessment, the guy was traded in order to get a pretty nice haul because he was heading into free agency.  Tate is very productive over the middle and is the best free agent wide receiver on the market.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

I actually used the word "invested" vs. spent.  But I see your point and my still remains; go cheap and get warm bodies at every position that's not on offense.

They can find their DE at #3.  That's the way this draft is shaping up anyway.  I know there are a few edge rushers out there but once the dust settles with resigns and franchise tags, that pool will dwindle. CB - just bring back Mo for a year.  The D is done.  Force Mac to play his draft picks and expose his incompetence even more.

Fair enough, but signing Claiborne and the #3 overall will probably amount to a fairly large expenditure on D.  

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oline is numero uno! When Sam had time which wasn't often he zipped passes right on the money. And think back to how many damn 3rd & longs that poor guy was in after we ran up the gut twice for -2 yards. 

If you put it into perspective that Sam Darnold had the best QBR in the league in the last 1/4 of the season it foretells exactly what you are saying regarding surrounding him with players. I think this is a 2 year rebuild but I see no reason why Williams won't have this defense be more aggressive if we can get some nice leads with our offense. I want our Oline fixed, I want Bell, I pray for a tradeback where we get a #2 and take the best WR on the board, maybe a Deebo Samuel (literally a Golden Tate clone), AND DRAFT another RB that falls to the 3rd! Let's find our Hunt this draft! I agree with you, I'm ok with D 1st round but I want 85% of free agency & every draft pick after #1 to be offense! Pats proved KCs defense SUCKED but they still got to the AFCCG. 

52 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Oline is numero uno! When Sam had time which wasn't often he zipped passes right on the money. And think back to how many damn 3rd & longs that poor guy was in after we ran up the gut twice for -2 yards. 

If you put it into perspective that Sam Darnold had the best QBR in the league in the last 1/4 of the season it foretells exactly what you are saying regarding surrounding him with players. I think this is a 2 year rebuild but I see no reason why Williams won't have this defense be more aggressive if we can get some nice leads with our offense. I want our Oline fixed, I want Bell, I pray for a tradeback where we get a #2 and take the best WR on the board, maybe a Deebo Samuel (literally a Golden Tate clone), AND DRAFT another RB that falls to the 3rd! Let's find our Hunt this draft! I agree with you, I'm ok with D 1st round but I want 85% of free agency & every draft pick after #1 to be offense! Pats proved KCs defense SUCKED but they still got to the AFCCG. 

Oline should be the number one priority and they just need to throw more often on first down.  If they can get a good RB that teams need to load the box for (i.e. Bell), they could throw more often on 1st and not end up in these 3rd and long situations.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/for-a-passing-league-the-nfl-still-doesnt-pass-enough/.  

Didn't want to paste the entire article but basically says:

The biggest culprit is first down, the most traditional run situation. It’s here where NFL coaches are consistently missing an opportunity to pass, particularly against defenses that have stacked the box or are playing at least seven defenders close to the line of scrimmage. I’m calling these situations FANS — First (down) Against Neutral or Stacked (boxes). FANS includes plays in which the defense brings extra men close to the line of scrimmage, clogging running lanes and daring the offense to run the ball. I analyzed plays from the 2017 season using men-in-the-box data from analytics firm Sports Info Solutions and play-level data courtesy of Ron Yurko, a Ph.D. student in statistics at Carnegie Mellon University. To more accurately represent regular game play and eliminate noise, I limited the sample to snaps outside the red zone when the opposing teams were within 7 points of each other.

With seven to nine men near the line of scrimmage and the subsequent dearth of extra defenders in the secondary, we’d expect passing to be effective in these situations. That’s just what we found. Last season, 30 of 32 teams were more successful passing than running on FANS as measured by success rate.2 And passing wasn’t just a little more successful than running. The difference in passing success was large: 27 teams had a success rate that was at least 10 percentage points higher when passing on FANS than running; 14 teams were more than 20 points better. The league average difference of 19.3 leaned wildly toward passing.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:12 PM, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

I don't get it. teams would rather pay a slot wr $10mil but will scoff at signing a pro Bowl guard to $10mil. I'll take a top 10 Oline for $50 mil than an average WR depth chart at the same price

I’m for signing both a Guard and a slot receiver 

Archived