Sean McVay: Genius or Overrated???

Villain The Foe

Is Sean McVay a genius or overrated?   

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sean McVay a genius or overrated?

Is Sean McVay the offensive genius we've all labeled him as? 

It seems like since the end of the regular season, every team that missed the playoffs that was looking for anyone who even had as much as a conversation with Sean McVay. What he has done with the Rams is impressive, but im starting to think that Jeff Fischer being such a terrible HC is adding to the effect of McVay. The Rams were incredibly talented even before McVay arrived, but it's clear that Fischer was squandering that talent. 

Anyway, last year the #1 offense in the league, LA Rams was only able to score 13 points against the Falcon's, a team known for having a suspect defense. Jared Goff completed just over 50% of his passes and had just 1 TD. 

Given the massive turnaround of the Rams, I dont think any of us thought anything of it, and we all anticipated the Rams being a powerhouse team in 2. Once 2018 came the Rams began loading up on talent such as Cook, Suh, Peters etc. The Rams make it to the Super Bowl and here where things got odd. 

If you would have said "All the Rams have to do is to score 14 points to win the SB", I think everyone would have atleast thought about taken that bet...even myself. But, the Rams score just 3 points and probably for the first time, McVay looked like nothing more than a 2nd year HC that was in over his head against the evil empire.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best answer is, the word genius is used way too often in the world of sports.  

McVay is 2 years into his Head Coaching career and he's 24-8 and just appeared in a Super Bowl.  I'd say that's pretty impressive and I think it's totally fair to give him praise for accomplishing so much so soon.

How about just saying; he's a good Head Coach?   Why does it have to be more?

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Is Sean McVay the offensive genius we've all labeled him as? 

It seems like since the end of the regular season, every team that missed the playoffs that was looking for anyone who even had as much as a conversation with Sean McVay. What he has done with the Rams is impressive, but im starting to think that Jeff Fischer being such a terrible HC is adding to the effect of McVay. The Rams were incredibly talented even before McVay arrived, but it's clear that Fischer was squandering that talent. 

Anyway, last year the #1 offense in the league, LA Rams was only able to score 13 points against the Falcon's, a team known for having a suspect defense. Jared Goff completed just over 50% of his passes and had just 1 TD. 

Given the massive turnaround of the Rams, I dont think any of us thought anything of it, and we all anticipated the Rams being a powerhouse team in 2. Once 2018 came the Rams began loading up on talent such as Cook, Suh, Peters etc. The Rams make it to the Super Bowl and here where things got odd. 

If you would have said "All the Rams have to do is to score 14 points to win the SB", I think everyone would have atleast thought about taken that bet...even myself. But, the Rams score just 3 points and probably for the first time, McVay looked like nothing more than a 2nd year HC that was in over his head against the evil empire.

What are your thoughts?

too early in his career to make that determination.  He coached well during the season and crapped the bed on Superbowl Sunday.  He's young.  I'd expect improvement in the playoffs in years to come.  Just because Belichick schooled him this past Sunday doesn't mean that McVay is "over rated" and I've never believed him to be a "genius" either.  So I'll vote neither.  Polls with exaggerated extremes as the only options are stupid.   He surely woudn't be the first excellent head coach to be schooled by Bill Belichick, would he? 

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think that I am not even remotely surprised that Belichick made Goff look ordinary.

Goff is ok

Once Crup went down, the offense was not as good.   Gurley was not himself the last few games.   A genius would be able to overcome.

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

too early in his career to make that determination.  He coached well during the season and crapped the bed on Superbowl Sunday.  He's young.  I'd expect improvement in the playoffs in years to come.  Just because Belichick schooled him this past Sunday doesn't mean that McVay is "over rated" and I've never believed him to be a "genius" either.  So I'll vote neither.  Polls with exaggerated extremes as the only options are stupid.   He surely woudn't be the first excellent head coach to be schooled by Bill Belichick, would he? 

Generally, I agree. But it wasnt too early for the league to essentially crown him as a genius by wanting to hire everyone associated with him. 

By that fact alone, I think its okay to atleast have a poll on the topic.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Generally, I agree. But it wasnt too early for the lead to essentially crown him as a genius by wanting to hire everyone associated with him. 

By that fact alone, I think its okay to atleast have a poll on the topic.

Hey, people can post all the polls they want.  But this one is stupid.  But that shouldn't stop anyone from posting around these parts.  Especially visiting fans of other teams. 

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

My best answer is, the word genius is used way too often in the world of sports.  

McVay is 2 years into his Head Coaching career and he's 24-8 and just appeared in a Super Bowl.  I'd say that's pretty impressive and I think it's totally fair to give him praise for accomplishing so much so soon.

How about just saying; he's a good Head Coach?   Why does it have to be more?

Because its been more than just calling him a good head coach. 

I think we've all seen that. 

Dont get me wrong, what you said is valid and I 100% agree that McVay is a damn good coach, but he's been paraded as much more than that.

I do think he's a offensive genius (which was my answer). I think Jared Goff is a complete and total system QB. I think McVay has made Goff, not the other way around like how we talk about Brady/Belichick. 

But there's more to coaching than having a great offensive mind. There's nuance to everything and I think thag separates him from the greats at the moment. 

Good response.

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Hey, people can post all the polls they want.  But this one is stupid.  But that shouldn't stop anyone from posting around these parts.  Especially visiting fans of other teams. 

Wont be my last stupid post. Matter of fact, I could find atleast 1 person to think that any post I've ever created was stupid. 

At the end of the day, the question will remain and be spoken about within its context, even after getting past what folks feel about it. 

That's the awesomeness about forums.

The last Jets coach to make the Super Bowl was Weeb Eubanks.  

This guy made it year 3 of being an HC at around 35 years old.  

Yes, he appeared to be outsmarted by Bellichick, but I think the NFL has room for more than one coach who could be considered close to genius.  

Some are just more genius than others.  

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Wont be my last stupid post. Matter of fact, I could find atleast 1 person to think that any post I've ever created was stupid. 

At the end of the day, the question will remain and be spoken about within its context, even after getting past what folks feel about it. 

That's the awesomeness about forums. 

The thread topic was fine.  The poll was dumb. 

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Because its been more than just calling him a good head coach. 

I think we've all seen that. 

Dont get me wrong, what you said is valid and I 100% agree that McVay is a damn good coach, but he's been paraded as much more than that.

I do think he's a offensive genius (which was my answer). I think Jared Goff is a complete and total system QB. I think McVay has made Goff, not the other way around like how we talk about Brady/Belichick. 

But there's more to coaching than having a great offensive mind. There's nuance to everything and I think thag separates him from the greats at the moment. 

Good response.

I see, well, if we're going to use the term genius for helping a team win Football games, than my take is he's overrated.  He's not a genius, he's a good Football coach who happens to coach one of the most talented Football teams in the league.

I agree, he's made Goff appear better than he is but I also think Goff has incredible talent around him that helps as well.  

Now, if McVay inherited a trash roster and made chicken sh*t into chicken salad, than I'd listen to some type of genius tag.  Otherwise, he's good Head Coach.

Something interesting here too;  QB's that make it to the Super Bowl for the 1st time and lose, almost never get back.  That could be the biggest defense of McVay's genius, if he can buck that trend with average QB.  But, Ryan, Newton, Caep, McNair, Collins, McNabb, going back to Marino. The only one that comes to mind off the top of the rip are Elway, Kelly and Tark...all over 20+ years ago too.

He was handed a stacked team.  Ill give him credit for his work with goff, but lets see him in a year or 2 when they are in salary cap hell and he has to manage a real roster.

Matt Nagy did the same thing year 1 that mcvay did year 1.  And lets not act like the rams deserved to be in the playoffs.  They were handed that game in NO.

In 2 years, the rams will be a middle of the road team.  McVay wasnt impressive in the playoffs/super bowl.

I don’t even know what to say to this thread.

A team that was an utter disarray under Fisher with a number one overall quarterback who is all but written off, then this guy takes this team in 2 years to the Super Bowl and completely transforms the locker room.

And you’re asking if he’s overrated?

what the fck is going on today with NFL fans. 

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don’t even know what to say to this thread.

A team that was an utter disarray under Fisher with a number one overall quarterback who is all but written off, then this guy takes this team in 2 years to the Super Bowl and completely transforms the locker room.

And you’re asking if he’s overrated?

what the fck is going on today with NFL fans. 

So, I take it you put genius? 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Treating adults as adults is the "new sensitive" now? 

?

Nope.  Calling a person a "not adult" because they criticize your silly poll is being sensitive.  And its especially ironic coming from a guy known to say to people "I don't care what you think", pretty much all the time. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope.  Calling a person a "not adult" because they criticize your silly poll is being sensitive.  And its especially ironic coming from a guy known to say to people "I don't care what you think", pretty much all the time. 

No time to respond, Browns game on.

57 minutes ago, CTM said:

I think Goff made Goff look ordinary. Hes been ordinary for 2 months in fact 

This is true. It is also true that Goff made Goff look great for two years before he faded some down the stretch. Individual performance in the NFL is pretty well-known to be super volatile. But people need narratives to explain normal variability so it's Fisher sucks/McVay rules/Belichick rules or whatever.

I didn't vote because I think the jury is still out.  If he has the same success next year then I'll say genius but two good seasons doesn't put you in a genius category.  Being able to adjust consistently in an ever changing league does.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Funny, i was talking only to the adults in the room. The only children I ever talk to came from my family jewels.

Seems like you have an infatuation with me  and the need to repeat what you think of the poll. 

Are you under aged? Lol

Archived