Sean McVay: Genius or Overrated???

Villain The Foe

Is Sean McVay a genius or overrated?   

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sean McVay a genius or overrated?

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was handed a stacked team.  Ill give him credit for his work with goff, but lets see him in a year or 2 when they are in salary cap hell and he has to manage a real roster.

Matt Nagy did the same thing year 1 that mcvay did year 1.  And lets not act like the rams deserved to be in the playoffs.  They were handed that game in NO.

In 2 years, the rams will be a middle of the road team.  McVay wasnt impressive in the playoffs/super bowl.

They were 4-12 before him.  He's going into year three, year two was a SB.  

You want to see where he is in two years and knock him over one.  Odd

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Semantics, but here's my take: I think classifying him as a genius is a bit much at this early stage, but good head coach is not quite enough. I'll take the middle ground and call him a very good coach.

As for Goff, A good defense and/or game plan can make a good offense look very ordinary... or even bad. That doesn't mean the Goff is not a good QB. That said, while he has looked good for most of the season, I think its too early in Goff's career to make a determination.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Funny, i was talking only to the adults in the room. The only children I ever talk to came from my family jewels.

Seems like you have an infatuation with me  and the need to repeat what you think of the poll. 

Are you under aged? Lol

You only talk to children from your jewels?  You’ve never spoken to a friends child or another family members child?  Interesting fetish.

3 hours ago, CTM said:

I think Goff made Goff look ordinary. Hes been ordinary for 2 months in fact 

You nailed it. It may not have been that McVey coached the game bad but Goff’s inability to execute. He had trouble reading the defense all night. Pats D never set and Goff didn’t know when, if and where they were coming from. He also missed reads on a lot of open receivers and They had no run game. 

Funny, i was talking only to the adults in the room. The only children I ever talk to came from my family jewels.
Seems like you have an infatuation with me  and the need to repeat what you think of the poll. 
Are you under aged? Lol

Being critical about a thread poll does not mean “infatuation”. Time to get over yourself dude.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

I see, well, if we're going to use the term genius for helping a team win Football games, than my take is he's overrated.  He's not a genius, he's a good Football coach who happens to coach one of the most talented Football teams in the league.

I agree, he's made Goff appear better than he is but I also think Goff has incredible talent around him that helps as well.  

Now, if McVay inherited a trash roster and made chicken sh*t into chicken salad, than I'd listen to some type of genius tag.  Otherwise, he's good Head Coach.

Something interesting here too;  QB's that make it to the Super Bowl for the 1st time and lose, almost never get back.  That could be the biggest defense of McVay's genius, if he can buck that trend with average QB.  But, Ryan, Newton, Caep, McNair, Collins, McNabb, going back to Marino. The only one that comes to mind off the top of the rip are Elway, Kelly and Tark...all over 20+ years ago too.

That thing about the QBs who lost the first time is so fascinating to me. I can't believe I've never heard it before. Thanks for posting it.

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

You only talk to children from your jewels?  You’ve never spoken to a friends child or another family members child?  Interesting fetish.

Never chastise or address what isnt yours to chastise or address.

A child that's a problem, go to that child's parent. This is just standard protocol.

No fetish is interesting to me that includes a child. The fact that you use the words fetish and interesting is yet another reason why that standard protocol is in place. 

Cant tell heathens and sickos from the rest of the population. It keeps the children safe and parents from having to provide dirt naps. 

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Being critical about a thread poll does not mean “infatuation”. Time to get over yourself dude.

Continuously being critical of it does. 

I heard you 2 hours ago. Even letting the adults in the room know that its ok to be critical. 

Then you find a problem with speaking to the adults. 

Seems like more than  just this poll bothering you. If you got something on your chest then say it. If not, lets move on. 

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Because its been more than just calling him a good head coach. 

I think we've all seen that. 

Dont get me wrong, what you said is valid and I 100% agree that McVay is a damn good coach, but he's been paraded as much more than that.

I do think he's a offensive genius (which was my answer). I think Jared Goff is a complete and total system QB. I think McVay has made Goff, not the other way around like how we talk about Brady/Belichick. 

But there's more to coaching than having a great offensive mind. There's nuance to everything and I think thag separates him from the greats at the moment. 

Good response.

This is exactly correct.  The term "Genius" is overused and over rated.  The fact of the matter is that McVay is a brilliant offensive mind who got  exposed in the playoffs due to his inexperience.  Fact is, he "spit the bit".  Twice.  If he's a great Head Coach, moving forward we will see him learn from this experience and he will be more successful in the playoffs in the near future.  If the Jets can accomplish anything near what he has in his first two years leading the Rams, we will be thrilled.  Give him his due.  The results and  the "numbers" bear this out.  Good for him.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Generally, I agree. But it wasnt too early for the lead to essentially crown him as a genius by wanting to hire everyone associated with him. 

By that fact alone, I think its okay to atleast have a poll on the topic.

I'm not sure that I get this.  When a coach does well, he usually has good people around him.  When he is a genius, those guys that get hired away tend to fail.  Think of Belichick.  How many of his assistants have sh*t the bed at this point a dozen?  Now think of his time in Cleveland.  Why did he ultimately fail?  A few reasons, but the fact that Fat Boy had all his cronies with him in New England was probably a big part.  

I can't consider him a genius because he hasn't accomplished what other coaches have accomplished. He didn't win the Super Bowl and his future as a coach is still young. A lot of coaches wish they can get to the Super Bowl in two years like McVay. The hard part now is to try and repeat the next season!!! Bill Belicheck, I consider a genius because since he took over the Patriots he's been winning every season. He's done what no current coach has done and win a total of 6 Super Bowls with one team. 

The only way you can call McVay overrated is if he can't reach the playoffs with a stacked team. A lot of coaches are given a stacked team and still can't make the playoffs. If they make the playoffs they don't go farther because its either bad coaching or the players effort might not be enough.  This would make the team overrated!!!

20 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Is Sean McVay the offensive genius we've all labeled him as? 

It seems like since the end of the regular season, every team that missed the playoffs that was looking for anyone who even had as much as a conversation with Sean McVay. What he has done with the Rams is impressive, but im starting to think that Jeff Fischer being such a terrible HC is adding to the effect of McVay. The Rams were incredibly talented even before McVay arrived, but it's clear that Fischer was squandering that talent. 

Anyway, last year the #1 offense in the league, LA Rams was only able to score 13 points against the Falcon's, a team known for having a suspect defense. Jared Goff completed just over 50% of his passes and had just 1 TD. 

Given the massive turnaround of the Rams, I dont think any of us thought anything of it, and we all anticipated the Rams being a powerhouse team in 2. Once 2018 came the Rams began loading up on talent such as Cook, Suh, Peters etc. The Rams make it to the Super Bowl and here where things got odd. 

If you would have said "All the Rams have to do is to score 14 points to win the SB", I think everyone would have atleast thought about taken that bet...even myself. But, the Rams score just 3 points and probably for the first time, McVay looked like nothing more than a 2nd year HC that was in over his head against the evil empire.

What are your thoughts?

blablabla bla, BLA! baker mayfield avatar? overrated

40 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

blablabla bla, BLA! baker mayfield avatar? overrated

yup.  guy struts around here with his Mayfield devotion on his sleeve on a Jets site.  Good Lord.  Used to respect his posts a lot more.  Now he's nothing more than a Cleveland fan troll.  Go to the Browns site to sthare that man-crush with Mayfield.  Mayfield is an AFC enemy.  F--k him.  He can crash and burn for all I care.  Why would any Jets fan promoting an enemy? Answer: a real fan wouldn't.  

imo if mcvay wants to be classed as a genius then he needs to win that game.  i don't care much if goff spit the bit.  the point is he spit the bit on the plays mcvay gave him to run.  mcvay needed to reassess his game plans for the season and prepare for the patsies.  he needed to find a way and he didn't.  as for him improving that rams teams, let's not forget that fisher, by finishing so poorly for the previous years, gave him some pretty talented players to work with.  and then they made a push by getting fowler and suh.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

yup.  guy struts around here with his Mayfield devotion on his sleeve on a Jets site.  Good Lord.  Used to respect his posts a lot more.  Now he's nothing more than a Cleveland fan troll.  Go to the Browns site to sthare that man-crush with Mayfield.  Mayfield is an AFC enemy.  F--k him.  He can crash and burn for all I care.  Why would any Jets fan promoting an enemy? Answer: a real fan wouldn't.  

tumblr_inline_p7rljm8Byj1qi47ex_500.gif

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

haha  good one.  But you are still a troll and not a fan.

He’s playing with you folks...and he’s unapologetic about it, and best of all, backs up his points intelligently while throwing in some snark.  He’s straight up. 

Don’t fall into his trap, lol.  Enjoy the volley. 

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Truth. 

I have two nephews that are the light of my life....one received the highest score in the country on his MCAT, the other a genius that graduated at 19 with his degree in civil engineering.  I had so much fun with them!  

I indulged them, and have to admit, loved their complete ownership in debates with fools.  Not that anyone here is a fool, mind you. ?

Archived