Darnold pretty involved in HC Search (and other topics)

JetFreak89

So this confirms that Sam was more involved than just a quick phone call before the final decision. It sounds like he spoke with all of the candidates.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2019/02/07/sam-darnold-new-york-jets-qb-adam-gase-podcast-social-media

Facing the New York media is one thing. But trying to weave your way through Rockefeller Center on Christmas Eve? That was Sam Darnold’s welcome to New York moment.

Last week, the Jets quarterback capped his rookie season by sitting on a panel assembled by ACE Media to discuss athlete-driven content. Afterwards, he talked with Sports Illustrated about his erstwhile fake Twitter account, Adam Gase memes, meeting the real Odell Beckham Jr., his thoughts on podcasting, and more.

ON HANDLING THE NEW YORK MEDIA…

For me it was easy to transition. It was familiar to me after being at USC, being in L.A. So, I think that made it a lot easier to transition.

What was kind of different is, the media in New York, especially when you're pro, they realize that you're a pro and you don't have anything else going on, whereas the media in L.A., when we were at USC, they understood that we weren't getting paid, we had to go to class. We had all this other stuff that we had to do.

So they were very much more, not that people in New York aren't respectful, but the people in L.A. were just more respectful of your time, because they knew how much we had to do, and that we weren't even getting paid to do media and all that. But in New York, man, it's crazy. It's crazy. But everything's been really good. There's obviously been some learning curves along the way, but it's really fun for most part.

ON HIS WELCOME TO NEW YORK MOMENT...

Yeah, shoot. I mean I took my family—this just happened obviously, but it was Christmas Eve. Me and my family flew in a helicopter over to the city. And oh my goodness. We did the whole Rockefeller thing. It was the busiest place on Earth. On the earth. And I didn't get recognized once.

Everyone had their head down, scrambling around, trying to get last-minute Christmas gifts, and it was just fricking a madhouse—a lot crazier than the movies even. That was just like, Oh my God, there's a lot of people here.

ON THE COACHING SEARCH PROCESS...

I was fortunate enough to be a part of that process of hiring a new coach. So we had been discussing. I had talked to Gase. I had interviewed him, but we were really just talking, trying to get to know him and I had done that with a few other coaches and I really liked Gase. I really liked what he was about. I know the system that he has and all the success that he's had with other players as well.

I just knew that with him coming in and also Gregg Williams on the defensive side, the combination of those two guys, they're going to create so much energy in the building. I think that's going to be very contagious for our team. And I knew that right when we hired him it'd be  the right fit, and I think that's the biggest thing, when talking about hiring coaches, is are they going to fit in well with the guys.

I think it's going to be really fun to try to help this team move towards a new culture and that new era or style of what we want to do and how we want to approach games. I think Gase and Gregg are very similar at, just being on the attack the whole game. I got to actually face Gregg Williams when I went to Cleveland. He fricking tore me up. So I'm looking forward to watching that from the sidelines.

ON GASE’S FIRST PRESS CONFERENCE, AND THE MEMES THAT FOLLOWED...

Yeah it was all over the place. It was funny to me because I've never seen him like that. He's a super chill guy to talk to, super normal. But that was hilarious.

I just got a good chuckle out of it. It was just funny to watch and it was even funnier because I know the guy and know that he's not like an insane person, which a bunch of people were saying. It was a funny little thing and all the memes that popped up about him were hilarious, but I think that's the cool thing is he knows. He was just like, Oh, maybe more people will be paying attention to the Jets now.

ON ACCEPTING HOW SAM DARNOLD THE BRAND IS DIFFERENT FROM SAM DARNOLD THE PERSON...

I had a funny story. In high school getting recruited, usually guys have Twitters and Instagrams so that they can talk to coaches. I didn't have Twitter. All I had was Instagram. So someone created a fake Twitter account about me and it was the most ridiculous stuff that you could ever think about. I was just like, What dude. Come on. And people thought it was me though, people who didn't know me.

People would search Sam Darnold. This account popped up and they were like, Oh, must be him, because they didn't see any other account. So the negative part of social media... My great friend now, one of my best friends, Cam Smith, linebacker at USC. He didn't know me. He thought that was me, and so he didn't talk to me, like at all, our whole first semester freshman year.

Then, as the year went on, we kind of found ourselves with the same group of friends because we had very similar personalities and he was just like, Man, I got to ask you, you're a lot different in person than you are on Twitter. And I was like On Twitter!? He pulled it up and I was like, Dude, that's not me. That's a fake account. So I ended up getting it deleted.

I thought that was just super funny. But, just the whole like reputation versus who the actual person is, it's a huge, huge deal in sports, even for me.

What Does Adnan Virk's Firing Say About ESPN's New Leadership? 

I just met Odell [Beckham] today. There's so much to think about Odell and who is Odell? There's this aura around him and then I just met him today and he's a normal dude. You know what I'm saying? He's a cool guy. He was like, ‘I'm going to be out in L.A. Let's hang,’ just like normal person. For me, it was like, Oh he's just dancing all the time, just out of control. He's just a normal person, which I think was really cool.

For me on social media, I try as hard as I can to be myself. I think everyone does, but there's always that part of it, at the end of the day, especially as an athlete, it's like, What's going to make you the most money? Because at the end of day, that's why we do what we do. We try to make a living playing this sport. Afterwards we're going to have another occupation that we love going to and we love trying to provide for our families. So at the end of the day you just think about all that. I think that goes into a lot of guys' posts in the league, and I think that can kind of leak into having a different reputation than what you actually are like off the field.

ON LAUNCHING (OR RELAUNCHING) A PODCAST...

I love comedy and I love listening to comedians talk. I'm also into, I guess motivational speakers, but more just like cool stories that people have to share. I listen to Joe Rogan all the time.

He's kind of the perfect mix of that. I listen to his podcast all the time and that's really the only one that I get to really listen to when I have time. So I actually started, it's called Season of Sam. We're going to change the name because it's kind of corny, but it was called Season of Sam. I did it through USC and I don't know if you know Yogi Roth, but he's a great moderator for any event. He's the play-by-play commentator on Pac-12 Network. He's a great dude and he was moderating the podcast and doing it with me. I think we're going to do something similar this off-season. We'll hopefully have different guests.

On my podcast, I got to interview Will Ferrell, Sam Hunt, Colin Cowherd, all these different names and it was just really cool to be able to talk to those people about things that weren't everyday life for me, which is football. I think it's really cool to be able to broaden my scope so that I can just be the best person I can be and try to figure out different ways of how to do things or maybe find different interests. I think that's the cool part about podcasting. Not only are your fans getting to know who you are, but you also get to meet these great people. You find out things that you wouldn't have, just in like a 30-minute conversation. That's the cool thing about it.

I give credit to the front office, even though it should have been totally obvious, that there were only 3 important criteria in evaluating a prospective head coach:

1. How well does Sam Darnold work with the coach
  2. How well does the coach work with Sam Darnold
  3. Sam Darnold

It gives me hope that the draft will be treated similarly...

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well, him "interviewing" coaches does paint a little different picture of the hiring process, but I love Sam and think he will be the QB of the present, future and far future for the Jets. Everything about the Jets will be so different next year,

If the record go's to 8-8 its a win. Anything less than that and its the same old shit.

I think Gase and Gregg are very similar at, just being on the attack the whole game. I got to actually face Gregg Williams when I went to Cleveland. He fricking tore me up. So I'm looking forward to watching that from the sidelines.

boner pants....

I am positive on Gase (+Hobbit) and Williams, particularly when compared to Bowles, Bates and Kacy.  Its not even close.

But Chris was definitely focused on "energy."  I think sometimes the energy can run out.  I don't see the Patriots worried about energy.  The buzz word in Foxboro is "professional."  Players and staff focus on their jobs and responsibilities.  There is no yelling and jumping around.  

I think we are in a needed intermediate step, but I think professional is more sustainable and successful, in the long run.  

40 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Playoffs or it's the same old sh*t. 

That's a big ask considering  we are playing for a wildcard before the season starts. Plus New QB, New offense and the worst roster in the league as of right now. .500 would be a huge success for this POS team. Oh yeah. Macc is still drafting for us.

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That's a big ask considering  we are playing for a wildcard before the season starts. Plus New QB, New offense and the worst roster in the league as of right now. .500 would be a huge success for this POS team. Oh yeah. Macc is still drafting for us.

But those new uni's tho

We're such a backwards franchise.

A proved-nothing-yet rookie QB gets to interview (and veto?) potential Head Coaches?

Is this the point where the NFL becomes the NBA?

Laughable, but because Darnold is the only hope this franchise has, and many fans have become borderline clinical over Darnold-is-greatest-QB-in-NFL-hype, this will actually be lauded here at JN instead of getting the due criticism it warrants.

Amazing scenes.

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Just my opinion but I think this is what killed McCarthy in the interview process, not the money like a lot of other posters were claiming...

The money angle was ridiculous.  You know going into the process what a McCarthy is going to be paid.  If you interview him, if people report there was at least some interest on the Jets side, money wasn't the hold up. 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A proved-nothing-yet rookie QB gets to interview (and veto?) potential Head Coaches?

Laughable, but because Darnold is the only hope this franchise has, and many fans have become borderline clinical over Darnold-is-greatest-QB-in-NFL-hype, this will actually be lauded here at JN instead of getting the due criticism it warrants.

Amazing scenes.

Nothing backwards about it.  It's all about Darnold.  He's not a shot in the dark QB, he's the QB for the next few years at least.  All this we don't know talk is a waste of time, he's it for now, maximize the chance of it being a 12 year deal.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nothing backwards about it.  It's all about Darnold.  He's not a shot in the dark QB, he's the QB for the next few years at least.  All this we don't know talk is a waste of time, he's it for now, maximize the chance of it being a 12 year deal.

I get that we've hung our future on Darnold.  And I want to support him.

But let me be clear, QB's do not interview or hire Coaches in my world. 

QB's work for and answer to coaches, not the other way around.

If Darnold were a sure-thing HOF QB in his last years, for a team desperately tring to get a last run of that QB, MAYBE I let him inteview the possible Coach to make sure it ight work.

In every other circumstance, no.

So what now, if Darnold doesn't like the O in spring and complains, do we fire Gase? 

Again, NBA style.

No, this is laughable.  But so very predictable.

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If Darnold were a sure-thing HOF QB in his last years, for a team desperately tring to get a last run of that QB, MAYBE I let him inteview the possible Coach to make sure it ight work.

So what now, if Darnold doesn't like the O in spring and complains, do we fire Gase? 

Again, NBA style.

I think it's more of the case that QBs used to work for HCs.  QBs are worth too much both financially and to the success of the team to have to fit in to a HC.  You want it to be smooth and stress free.  Not saying the HC works for the QB but they have to be on the same page, respect each other's abilities and hopefully like being around each other.  Doesn't mean whatever Darnold wants goes either, just saying some things help the relationship so why wouldn't you try to find a fit?  Look at Rodgers/McCarthy.  SB winning HC out because Rodgers turned.  

Like it, agree or not, QB is too important. Not NBA like but with a new hire, maximize every side to a FQBs development, don't you think? 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Amazing scenes.

There is a great deal of truth that you write here.  The key question is how does a rookie  QB know what it takes to win a SB in the NFL?

Answer = He Doesn’t!!!

So why in the world are you relying on a rookie for anything if you are running the organization?

Shouldnt you be leading him?

Just some thoughts.  

Well Im going back on the kool aid sauce and shan’t think on this anymore.  

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Again, NBA style.

I did't see anywhere in the article where it said Sam Darnold hired the coach.  I think you need to look at it as the organization feels strongly that Sam Darnold will be around here for a long time so they want him to be part of the process.  When I hire someone new at my company I always involve one or two younger guys who I think highly of to be part of the interview process.  It shows them I care what they think and gives them some feeling of being a part of the bigger picture.  Do I go with what their opinions are every time?  Hell no, but I explain to them why I went in another direction instead of just leaving them in the dark.  Anyway, a bit long winded, but just giving my humble opinion on the level that I think Sam was involved in hiring our coach....which is his opinion matters, but if they felt strongly in a different coach than he wanted they would have hired that coach regardless of Sam's top choice. Peace and Happy Chinese New Year!

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And. of course, there is always the possibility that Gase was the best candidate.  But the armchair critics have their minds set otherwise

I honestly don't think Darnold was at all involved in the hiring decision.

Think he was invited to the interviews for 2 reasons.

1) To show him just how highly the FO thinks of him

2)  The Jets wanted to show off their main asset, to offensive minded, QB centric  candidates.  From everything I have heard Darnold is a very lay back, coachable kid .  Sure helps a HC make his mind up if he is shown that his future livelyhood isn't in the hands of an immature diva.

Darnold is a very strong selling point to a QB guru HC candidate

20 minutes ago, nico002 said:

It’s absurd to think Darnold shouldn’t have some feedback on candidates. He’s the #1 most important person reporting to the coach. You’d rather the decision be put solely on the owner/gm? What if the QB thinks the guy is an idiot? 

We’re talking Sam here, not Baker. ?

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

And. of course, there is always the possibility tht Gase was the best candidate.  But the armchair critics have their minds set otherwise

arm chair critics said hackenburg was a joke awful  pick.  the smart posters said he was the future of the jets.

Gase might have been the best candidate out there and there are some high profile supporters that feel he is indeed the perfect guy for this team.

I do not think you can out right dismiss what the critics say though.  He was not overly successful for the phins and his offensive rankings have not been good.  To totally dismiss the guys record because of 'oh tannehill!' is not valid.

Time will tell.

13 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

We’re talking Sam here, not Baker. ?

Bingo!

I'm a person who wanted Mayfield over Darnold pre-draft.  That's who I meant in an earlier post when I said "Immature Diva."  

I made the mistake in thinking that Mayfield was going to mature in the NFL.  Clearly I was wrong.  Mayfield is going to be an excellent QB.  He is also going to be a nightmare for his HC.  After awhile his act is going to grow old, and cause friction in the locker room.  His early success might hurt him long term.  He's not going to be easy to coach.

At this point, IMO at least, If he is exposed to good coaching, Darnold is going to get better every year he plays.  

This again is just my opinion, but I think Gase is perfect for him.  Gase in under the opinion that the QB is the only position that matters.  He seems to have turned his D over to Williams.  OH boy.  Big changes that side of the ball.  If Williams, and Gase can co-exist, think it's real good news for Darnold, the NY Jets, and a sorry, but loyal, fan base.

Think it's going to be a fun ride.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Again, NBA style.

Im amazed that this is an actual take after reading the article - or did you only read the title?

Sam is a smart, thoughtful kid, who also happens to be an elite NFL QB prospect.  He didnt "interview" the HC as if it was his decision.  He spoke to every coach to give his input on their rapport  - which he should do as he is the most important player to join this franchise in a decade.  Did he spout off nonsense, to make himself seem important?  No, he relayed how he felt about Gase and showed the same humble nature he has always shown.

We did a good job getting his input.  Lets hope it translates to wins

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Amazing scenes.

Agree in principle but not entirely.  By incorporating darnold into the process you are accomplishing a few things at once.

1) you are letting the HC know that darnold is THE guy and your job is to build the O around him. There’s no excuses for ‘he doesn’t fit my system so give me a chance with my guy’.   

2) darnold is now personally invested in making the relationship work as he had ‘ownership’ in the process.  Whether his input mattered is irrelevant, he was part of the process so he should fee empowered. 

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

Agree in principle but not entirely.  By incorporating darnold into the process you are accomplishing a few things at once.

1) you are letting the HC know that darnold is THE guy and your job is to build the O around him. There’s no excuses for ‘he doesn’t fit my system so give me a chance with my guy’.   

2) darnold is now personally invested in making the relationship work as he had ‘ownership’ in the process.  Whether his input mattered is irrelevant, he was part of the process so he should fee empowered. 

1) Owner says "Darnold is our guy, that's non negotiable and you need to know that up front".  Done.

2) I don't understand this, if Darnold was in any way NOT "invested", he's not the right guy to be a franchise QB.  

It's fine, as long as his input was minimal in the decision.

Archived