• Re-upping Mo Wilk
    • HACK
    • Airdarius Stewart
    • Balking at trading up for Kamara
    • Other (specify in thread)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's the combination of Hack and failing to take Mahomes or Watson. 

These are glossed over at this stage because we have Darnold but the horrendous pick of Hackenberg coupled with passing on Mahomes and Watson to give Hack another shot... Just awful.

The overall neglect of the offensive line is probably up there too.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's the combination of Hack and failing to take Mahomes or Watson. 

These are glossed over at this stage because we have Darnold but the horrendous pick of Hackenberg coupled with passing on Mahomes and Watson to give Hack another shot... Just awful.

The overall neglect of the offensive line is probably up there too.

Good point re Mahomes. Edited poll.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The choices in this list really should require you to scroll and scroll and scroll.

Tried to narrow it to top 100. Seriously how is this dunce still employed?? Idzik got fired for less.

It's gotta be Hackenberg.  Anyone who saw him in his  second year couldn't possibly think that he justified a high #2 pick, even his first year under Bill  O'Brien was not as impressive as has been implied.  This choice was a case of blatant, obnoxious, obstinance.  That particular pick hurts more than the other "choices" because a semi-reasonable excuse can be made for not trading up, bad contracts, positional preferences and "conventional wisdom" cases.  This one was simply INEXCUSABLE!

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

It's gotta be Hackenberg.  Anyone who saw him in his  second year couldn't possibly think that he justified a high #2 pick, even his first year under Bill  O'Brien was not as impressive as has been implied.  This choice was a case of blatant, obnoxious, obstinance.  That particular pick hurts more than the other "choices" because a semi-reasonable excuse can be made for not trading up, bad contracts, positional preferences and "conventional wisdom" cases.  This one was simply INEXCUSABLE!

I thought about it, but choose passing on the QBs.  Hack led to that.  The choice could probably be amended to pre-2018 QB strategy, which captures McCown, Hack and Safety over QB.

Runner up would be OL strategy, then WR strategy.

Is Vegas taking odds on Mac surviving to 2020?  I am not seeing it.  I think he got this year to save the Johnsons the severance cost.  

32 minutes ago, jgb said:

Good point re Mahomes. Edited poll.

23 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Passing on 1st round worthy QB's???   The JETS passing on a QB that is a top 10 pick?  Oh wait... we passed on 2 of them.

Why? Because we had some fukkin assholl from Penn State that we drafted in round 2.

MAC couldn't have screwed up more and then doubled down on the fear.

Ardarius Stewart is pretty damn glaring to me.

Teams didn't even take a flyer on him after he was cut, and it's made all the more worse with Hansen bombing as well. 

Most picks you can see a future plan. Stewart seems like they handed in the wrong card.

Correction: Apparently he spent...14 days on Oakland's practice squad in 2018. 

On 12/31/18, the Redskins signed him to a future/reserve contract, then waived him 7 days later. 

Currently a free agent. 

22 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Ardarius Stewart is pretty damn glaring to me.

Teams didn't even take a flyer on him after he was cut, and it's made all the more worse with Hansen bombing as well. 

Most picks you can see a future plan. Stewart seems like they handed in the wrong card.

I guess the best example for comparison is probably Murder.  After a while you just kind of get desensitized to it.  The "Murder" of multiple draft picks wasted on incompetent, talentless,  "wide receivers", by the magnificent, affable John Idzik, caused us to be  desensitized to similar behavior demonstrated by "Mighty Macc".  The murdering of high draft picks, squandered by the Jets, has almost become a rite of passage, sadly.

57 minutes ago, jgb said:

When I started writing these out I asked myself "how does this guy still have a job?"

It’s impossible to narrow it down. It’s like asking where Frankenstein’s Monster took a turn for the worse when the answer is that Dr Frankenstein is the one who screwed the pooch. 

While Hackenberg was a BRUTAL pick in the 2nd round, I did want him with a 5th or 6th round pick to see what was there.

That being said, its funny when you look at who was picked after Hack and before Jenkins, there wasn't that much there. 

I still think ignoring the offensive line for four years, and continually missing with mid-round picks, can't happen in today's NFL.  You get (typically) 7 picks a year plus some UDFA's.  You need a couple of the UDFA's to round out your roster every year, but you need 3-4 of those picks to contribute consistently in order to be successful, with 1-2 players in a four year span to be great.  Mac has done some good things, but he is not even CLOSE to what a top GM does, and it isn't even arguable. 

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

You can't hold Mahomes/Watson against Mac because he drafted a cornerstone/All-Pro player with that pick and nobody blinked when that pick was made.

You can...We didn't have a QB, and you have to keep drafting them until you find one.

That said, as good as the two QB's are, they would not be as good here as they were.  KC's offense was a leader.  Mahomes does no better than Darnold did this year.  Same for Watson.

Based on the choices I went with the OL option. Because it’s been neglected for years. Also, I would put Buster Skrine on this list. That was a total failure compounded by rearranging his money. I mean, his first free agency spending spree 4 years ago will probably have 0 players retained from that splurge. 

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s impossible to narrow it down. It’s like asking where Frankenstein’s Monster took a turn for the worse when the answer is that Dr Frankenstein is the one who screwed the pooch. 

How dare you?

young-frankenstein-gene-wilder-peter-boy

1 hour ago, jgb said:

When I started writing these out I asked myself "how does this guy still have a job?"

32 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

You can't hold Mahomes/Watson against Mac because he drafted a cornerstone/All-Pro player with that pick and nobody blinked when that pick was made.

Asked and answered.

We landed Darnold. Don’t care about Hack and Pat.

I selected OL negligence because no matter if he would of drafted Watson, Goff, Wentz or Mahomes...their production wouldn’t of seen the same progression it did in a NY Jet run offense with no protection. 

He failed assembling an actual OL or weapons to put the QB behind. It’s BS. You make sure you have that when you are trying to rebuild and then you place the QB in there with the talent so he doesn’t have an extra hard time working with practice squad players.

Upon further review, I’ve determined that drafting Leonard-Lee-Adams in succession and having all three become absolute zeroes is the worst thing he’s done. No one can name a single play any of them have made that contributed to a win since any of them were drafted. 

Undoubtedly, his worst whiff is CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG. He couldn't hit the ocean he was so bad. It's first day misses like that that will break a team. His picks overall have been below average at best and the yield numbers support that. Overall, even on picks he's hit on they are nothing to write home about, (Williams, Jenkins, etc.)

It seems to me whenever he's tasked with making a pick using scouting reports he stinks up the joint. Whenever, there's a no brainer pick that slips to him he's always smart enough to take him, (Adams, Darnold). That's probably his only saving grace.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Since you brought up O’brien. There was an article written quoting Mac as saying he was scared to death when Texans who O’Brien was now coaching, traded from 1 spot behind jets to right in front of us at last min. Mac was so freaked O’Brien moved ahead of him to take hac of course, and was so relieved he did so only to pick a good solid center in Martin . Which makes you wonder, O’Brien had to be worried mac was going to pick Martin, given how bad our OL/center situation was. Only if he knew mac doesnt care about the OL and won’t draft one until round five, he wouldn’t have needed to pay to trade up 2 spots ha

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Upon further review, I’ve determined that drafting Leonard-Lee-Adams in succession and having all three become absolute zeroes is the worst thing he’s done. No one can name a single play any of them have made that contributed to a win since any of them were drafted. 

Even if someone agrees with this, his other mistakes were much worse.

But that just shows how bad he has been.  

I don't get this "Macc passed on Watson because of Hack"  scenario that some of you guys are selling. 

IMO, Macc passed on Watson because he liked Adams and a shot at the next year's QB class better.

Still the wrong move.   He should have taken Watson.

To me, OL negle4ct and pass rush are 1a and 1b.  Every GM whiffs on a pick (Macc more than most).  Every GM has a bad signing or two (Macc more than most).  Every GM has a list of guys he passed on.  But neglect of the OL and pass rush are at the heart of his philosophy for building a team.  OL makes everything else on offense a little easier and pass rush makes everything else on defense a little easier.  Yet, he has completely ignored both in early rounds of the draft.  And he has built or OL by bringing in borken misfit toys from other teams.

Just now, Lith said:

To me, OL negle4ct and pass rush are 1a and 1b.  Every GM whiffs on a pick (Macc more than most).  Every GM has a bad signing or two (Macc more than most).  Every GM has a list of guys he passed on.  But neglect of the OL and pass rush are at the heart of his philosophy for building a team.  OL makes everything else on offense a little easier and pass rush makes everything else on defense a little easier.  Yet, he has completely ignored both in early rounds of the draft.  And he has built or OL by bringing in borken misfit toys from other teams.

Agreed.  Look at the current O-linemen under contract right now.  That’s after being on the job for 4 plus years.   3 guys with any kind of experience on the roster right now.  Expansion teams had better rosters than this.   

I don't think you can fault him for Watson because honestly, Watson really hasn't done much. He's good but until he does more than first round exit in the playoffs...I mean the Texans were good before he got there and nobody knew Mahomes would be this good. I can't blame him for having a long plan in getting a high pick for one of the top 3 QB's. Hack is by far and away his biggest mistake,. I was shocked when he made that pick. I figured Hack for a 5th round pick. 

Archived