• Failure to get a pass rusher
    • McCown for $10 mill
    • Trumaine Johnson
    • Re-upping Mo Wilk
    • HACK
    • Airdarius Stewart
    • Balking at trading up for Kamara
    • Other (specify in thread)

The Hackenberg pick was disasterous on so many levels. Picking Hack was the reason the Jets didn't even consider drafting Mahommes or Watson the following year. Also, it was a complete waste of a second round pick -- five future pro bowlers were picked between that pick and the Jets next pick (Jordan Jenkins) in the third round. Unlike some of the other choices above, this isn't a case of hindsight being 20/20. The pick was an obvious boneheaded decision the moment it was made, and most sane people saw that.. It was the case of a relatively new GM trying to  show he was smarter than everyone else.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignoring the OL has been his biggest whiff because it spans over four drafts and free agency periods. Hack is indeed his biggest blunder, but it turned out to be nothing more than a wasted pick, which could have been used on OL. If Hack wasn't awful, he'd still be on the team, hogging up a roster spot. 

Macc gets no more passes. He needs a minimum of an A- off-season to redeem himself. I'd rather this board be wrong about Macc, and I hope that people would rather eat crow than be happy about being right about Macc.

3 minutes ago, dcJet said:

This isn't a flub. 

Macc should have known about Mahomes being MVP?

Every mock draft had Mahomes going at the bottom of the first, or somwhere high in the second. The Chiefs took a huge risk trading up for him. Can you imagine us at 6 drafting him and he busted. After the Hack pic, Mac would have needed a presidential security detail around him.

2 minutes ago, dcJet said:

This isn't a flub. 

Macc should have known about Mahomes being MVP?

In breers article he clearly stated that maccagnan scouted both classes and decided to go after a 2018 QB 

Mahomes put up pretty numbers and is fun to watch but nobody saw that coming as evidenced by the Watson pick ahead of him and Buffalo trading out of the pick in the first place 

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

It's gotta be Hackenberg.  Anyone who saw him in his  second year couldn't possibly think that he justified a high #2 pick, even his first year under Bill  O'Brien was not as impressive as has been implied.  This choice was a case of blatant, obnoxious, obstinance.  That particular pick hurts more than the other "choices" because a semi-reasonable excuse can be made for not trading up, bad contracts, positional preferences and "conventional wisdom" cases.  This one was simply INEXCUSABLE!

You literally had 100,000 Penn St fans, no exaggeration, who saw everyone of the snaps Hackenberg took, all laugh at once at Maccagnan’s pick of Hackenberg.

He saw something that the entire world easily knew not to be true.

Also in Hackenberg’s only supposed good year his Freshman year if you watched the tape you’d see Allen Robinson save Hackenberg on throw after throw.  Similar to Marshall and Decker saving so many of Fitzpatrick’s inaccurate throws.

Hackenberg was always inaccurate.

As a fan you can’t have any confidence that Maccagnan can watch tape and evaluate it properly.  And his results overall corroborate that.

58 minutes ago, Larz said:

In breers article he clearly stated that maccagnan scouted both classes and decided to go after a 2018 QB 

Mahomes put up pretty numbers and is fun to watch but nobody saw that coming as evidenced by the Watson pick ahead of him and Buffalo trading out of the pick in the first place 

Yes, but that's the Job of a GM.  

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Reid and Payton saw it coming as evidenced by the Chiefs trading ahead of the Saints to take him. I would postulate in the alternative that the Jets and Texans and Bills are simply run by people a whole lot dumber than Andy Reid and Sean Payton.

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Since you brought up O’brien. There was an article written quoting Mac as saying he was scared to death when Texans who O’Brien was now coaching, traded from 1 spot behind jets to right in front of us at last min. Mac was so freaked O’Brien moved ahead of him to take hac of course, and was so relieved he did so only to pick a good solid center in Martin . Which makes you wonder, O’Brien had to be worried mac was going to pick Martin, given how bad our OL/center situation was. Only if he knew mac doesnt care about the OL and won’t draft one until round five, he wouldn’t have needed to pay to trade up 2 spots ha

True but brother...Martin completely sucks.

8 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's the combination of Hack and failing to take Mahomes or Watson. 

These are glossed over at this stage because we have Darnold but the horrendous pick of Hackenberg coupled with passing on Mahomes and Watson to give Hack another shot... Just awful.

The overall neglect of the offensive line is probably up there too.

Agreed. Cause and effect. Shameful that he’s still employed.

The Hackenberg pick is the reason Mac didn’t wanna risk a top pick on a QB the following season. If anyone did their homework on Mahomes from the Jets it would of probably been obvious that he was a stud. But I don’t think Mac was thinking QB with the 6th pick that year because of Hack. He passed on Mahomes and Watson. What if another team had picked Adams? Would the Jets of picked Mahomes or Watson?  That’s a good question!

I can't put the full blame on Maccagnan for the oline or the lack of a pass rusher, remember he inherited the problem. The ones to blame is ex GMs Tannenbaum and Idzik, they are the ones to blame. Everyone only remembers how Tannenbaum drafted Mangold and Ferguson but forget how he neglected the oline and got Chad Pennington hurt. People forgot also the Jets last pass rusher was John Abraham, Tannenbaum could of addressed in his term as GM and nothing.

Maccagnan huge mistake is drafting Hackenberg, he tried giving him the chance to win the starting position during training camp. But he saw what every GM saw and knew that he couldn't QB at all. 

I generally support Macc, but some of these are certainly legit. I agree that passing on Mahommes sucked, obviously. However,  I think this board and every talking head out there overrate Watson's potential. Not so much in the talent department, the guy is clearly really good. More so in the 'This guy is a FQB' stuff. FQBs last and generally start 10+ years IMO. I don't think anyone here HONESTLY (key word here) believes that Watson will be a 10-year FQB starter. Not with the style of game he plays. It either changes or he'll have 4-5 years overall as a legit starter when all is said and done. I'm not spending a high 1st on QB who gives me 4-5 years. Jackson, Manziel, etc...This is my opinion on all these kind of QBs. 

The Stewart pick (and Hansen pick) sucked, didn't work out. BUT, they were on a short leash apparently and were cut quickly. Come on, guys. A lot, maybe MOST GMs, keep them a longer, maybe too long. They were bad picks, he cut his losses. It happens. 

Wentz/Goff: Nah, I'm very happy with Darnold and how we got to #3 actually. Wentz is always hurt (though good). Goff is an enigma to me. 

McCown at $10 mil: Eh. Whatever. 

Wilk/Tru: No crystal ball for 'about to become lazy as ****'. It happens. I'll give Tru 2019 to see what's what. 

Hack: He was trying to be cute, smart, slick, whathaveyou... YEP. Bad pick. Wanted it to work though, obviously.

Oline, Pass Rush, Kamara: YEP! The O-line one bugs me the most as I'm one of those build from the inside out kind of guys. 

What is insane about this guy is the best player he brought in is probably his worst decision

1. Drafting Jamal Adams over Mahomes and and Watson (although the Hackenberg pick compounded this decision this selection set the franchise back years)

2. Drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd round  (self explanatory)

3. Signing Trumaine Johnson to a big deal 

4. Extending Mo Wilkerson 

5. Caving into Fitzpatricks demands

Hack was the worst single decision (undraftable based on his play at PSU) - worse if that impacted his decision to take Watson/Mahomes

but think of the other bad moves erased if Mac traded up for Wentz - they miss out on Lee, but no Hack, no $12m Fitz, no $10m Josh, just more young players on a team ready to compete

Very happy to have Sam but Mac was 3 years late on his decision to trade up for a QB

It's Hackenberg by a country mile! 

When your so stubborn that you believe something that the person closest to Hackenberg DOESN'T see, your a STUBBORN ASS. 

Now, I believe Macc has done a lot better since & hopefully he learned a lot from whiffing on Hack. As a GM, how do you justify taking a QB in the 2nd round when this particular QBs old Head Coach trades up 1 spot above you & your quaking in your boots that he's pulled a fast one to take the guy he knows & coached in college & instead puts in his draft card & it's an offensive lineman? 

Right at that moment, Macc should have been saying, wait a damn second, the Coach that had him at Penn State just traded above me, not for Christian, even though the Texans NEEDED A YOUNG QB to groom. 

Jets should have taken that as a sure sign they had the wrong guy & scrambled to the next guy in line on their chalk board, but no Macc was smarter than your average bear. Well, maybe not.

9 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Hack was the worst single decision (undraftable based on his play at PSU) - worse if that impacted his decision to take Watson/Mahomes

but think of the other bad moves erased if Mac traded up for Wentz - they miss out on Lee, but no Hack, no $12m Fitz, no $10m Josh, just more young players on a team ready to compete

Very happy to have Sam but Mac was 3 years late on his decision to trade up for a QB

The Hack debacle was sensitive Macc overreacting to idiots in the media, people in the FO and jets fans crying that he didn’t draft Paxton Lynch

Reid drafted Kevin Kolb 36th overall.  Is he an idiot? Elway took Lynch 26th Ozzy took Kyle Boller 19th Tanny took Sanchez at 5. Macc swung and missed on Hack with the 51st pick.  BFD.  

It’s a “BFD” because there was zero chance Hack would ever be a successful starter in the NFL. None. Zilch. And everyone but Macc seemed to know that at the time he made the pick.  

And this isn’t hindsight talking. No one with Hackenberg’s college resume had ever been a successful pro. QBASE gave him an 80 % bust probability, which was even higher than Lynch and Connor Cook, from that same draft class. The model, which has done quite well at projecting QB’s futures, compared him to Brock Huard, Dave Ragone, Kyle Boller, Marques Tuiasosopo and Quincy Carter.

Then, to make matters worse, Macc doubled down on Hackenberg the next season, passing on Mahomes and Watson in the process.

That’s why the Hackenberg pick is his worst decision. It’s the perfect example of Macc being outsmarted by the rest of the league.

Archived