• Failure to get a pass rusher
    • McCown for $10 mill
    • Trumaine Johnson
    • Re-upping Mo Wilk
    • HACK
    • Airdarius Stewart
    • Balking at trading up for Kamara
    • Other (specify in thread)

It's a strike against Mahomes that he had to sit for a year?  lol.  The Chiefs had given big money to Alex Smith.  There was ample reason to continue to throw him out there until such time that they wanted to trade him.  Which they did, and when he was at peak value at that. 
And despite Smith having a career year, the Chiefs were anxious to get Mahomes under center.  Some people here questioned the move, thinking it was dumb to get rid of Smith.  That evaporated quickly. 
He played a little bit his rookie season and was underwhelming

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Everybody and their mother knew that Mahomes was an athletic freak. The knock was the "gimmick" offense. If Adams was the smart pick he would have traded down.  If he wanted to stack assets for the  2018 class, he would have traded down. People think he couldn't trade down.  How did the Bills and Browns pull it off? 

QBs are a commodity.  Anybody with hope has value.  

Again, nobody thought Mahomes would be this. He is going to retire as the best the game ever saw. he is going to surpass Brady in everything if they keep him healthy and keep talent around him. He almost engineered a come from behind playoff win against a BB defense and the only reason they didn't win is they lost the coin toss. There is a reason he wasn't the number one overall pick that he should have been and it was more than the O he played in. 

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Again, nobody thought Mahomes would be this. He is going to retire as the best the game ever saw. he is going to surpass Brady in everything if they keep him healthy and keep talent around him. He almost engineered a come from behind playoff win against a BB defense and the only reason they didn't win is they lost the coin toss. There is a reason he wasn't the number one overall pick that he should have been and it was more than the O he played in. 

Poor job by GMs picking in the first ten? 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Well yeah you and me could probably play the qb position better than Hackenberg 

I just think Watson has hit his ceiling and it ain’t that high

maybe.  it looks like mahommes is the real deal.  the other guys like watson and trubisky may stick around a bit but they certainly haven't showed they deserve to be franchise qb's.  goff certainly lost some creds. and we also see guys like dak prescott coming down to earth.  we'll start to see how good darnold, mayfield, rosen, allen, and jackson are starting this season.

28 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

He played a little bit his rookie season and was underwhelming

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

He played 1 game in 2017.  He went 22-35 (62.9 %) for 284 yards (8.1 ypa), for a 76.4 QB Rating.  Not bad for a rookie debut.

And obviously the coaching staff saw plenty in him outside of that one game to say "he's our guy". 

I think it's the combination of Hack and failing to take Mahomes or Watson. 
These are glossed over at this stage because we have Darnold but the horrendous pick of Hackenberg coupled with passing on Mahomes and Watson to give Hack another shot... Just awful.
The overall neglect of the offensive line is probably up there too.

Would have been nice to have taken Mahomes then used the 6th lick last year on Quentin Nelson. Devin Smith was also atrociousl

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

50 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Poor job by GMs picking in the first ten? 

You could say that but my point is there were no clues he would be this good. Everyone  thought Winston and Mariota were can't miss. Mahomes was in a draft where others were thought to be better as was Watson. What, you don't  think the Browns would have taken Mahomes over Garrett, or the Niners over Thomas or Jacksonville over Fournette.

They all needed QB's

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

You could say that but my point is there were no clues he would be this good. Everyone  thought Winston and Mariota were can't miss. Mahomes was in a draft where others were thought to be better as was Watson. What, you don't  think the Browns would have taken Mahomes over Garrett, or the Niners over Thomas or Jacksonville over Fournette.

They all needed QB's

There were millions of clues.  What there weren't, was guarantees.  Any idiot can pick a can't miss.  It takes skill and talent to look beyond that.  I'm not going to kill the guy over a mistake so many others made, but if he thought the 2018 class was so much better, he didn't even do the best job of maximizing his chances there. 

55 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There were millions of clues.  What there weren't, was guarantees.  Any idiot can pick a can't miss.  It takes skill and talent to look beyond that.  I'm not going to kill the guy over a mistake so many others made, but if he thought the 2018 class was so much better, he didn't even do the best job of maximizing his chances there. 

Well a lot of people are killing him over that on this board. Many said he should be fired for taking Adams and not one of these two QB's. 

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

maybe.  it looks like mahommes is the real deal.  the other guys like watson and trubisky may stick around a bit but they certainly haven't showed they deserve to be franchise qb's.  goff certainly lost some creds. and we also see guys like dak prescott coming down to earth.  we'll start to see how good darnold, mayfield, rosen, allen, and jackson are starting this season.

Not saying Mahomes isn’t for real I just don’t see how he has the same stats here 

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I hope so

$100 million in cap room and a top 3 pick and he has a qb.  A 5 year old couldn’t screw this up

Except Macc has already screwed up a top 6 pick and a mountain of cap room. 

He really does seem idzikian in some ways—refuses to accept the market for what it is and obsessed with not “overpaying” to the extent he never wins a bidding war (except when it comes to journeyman backup-quality QBs that no one else is even bidding for).

Archived