Sign in to follow this  
JetsFanatic

Jets Full Coaching Staff Announced

2 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Was surprised they kept the Strength and Conditioning staff. Was not overly impressed with the condition of the Jets the last few years but maybe that’s just me.

I think that's more on Bowles and his country club atmosphere.

1 hour ago, UKBB said:

Seriously? You guys like the Jim Bob Cooter hire for running backs coach? The guy when he was in Detroit was clueless what to do with the run game. Everyone in Detroit is like "huh?" right now over this hire. 

First off, do you actually think the running back coach is in charge of the running game? That's pretty comical. He's an experienced offensive mind that will work with the running backs and be a guy Gase can turn to fit advice.. This is as opposed to bowles staff being accepted bunch of newbies.

Regardless, have you heard of kerryon Johnson? Kerryon Johnson looked great until he got hurt. So yeah, I guess he sucks for not turning legarrette Blount in Barry Sanders. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RobR said:

I blame Bowles for a lot but I believe the bigger culprit is the CBA. The only way around it is Strength and Conditioning regiments. Practice and even drills are so regulated the only thing left is Conditioning. Having the right people in charge can have a dramatic effect on a teams success.

45 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

I blame Bowles for a lot but I believe the bigger culprit is the CBA. The only way around it is Strength and Conditioning regiments. Practice and even drills are so regulated the only thing left is Conditioning. Having the right people in charge can have a dramatic effect on a teams success.

I also blame the CBA but when all is said and done you need a HC that can pull the best out of his players. Bowles was never that guy.

I'd wager a guess that most strength and conditioning regimens at this level are close to the same regardless of the SC coach. With the knowledge available during this time I doubt I see any innovators when it comes to health, nutrition, and training, unless it comes to masking PED's. 

When I see players that are out of shape and dogging it I blame the HC, not the SC coach. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rangerous said:

i like vitt too.  didn't he fill in as coach of the saints or colts?  as for the rest, i wish gase didn't bring in so many miami guys.

before they were miami "guys" they were other team's "guys."  assistant coaches are nomads

7 hours ago, RobR said:

true enough.  a strength coach cannot suspend or bench guys.  if the top man is lax, and a look at Bowles' physical condition might give indications, then the strength guy is powerless.

• Like 1

It is a very intriguing staff. There are probably at least 3 members of the staff that could be an interim head coach in Wlliams, Vitt and Pollak and possibly even 4 with Jefferson. There was ZERO with Bowles.

The offensive coaching staff is potentially exceptional if Gase is truly as open to collaborative coaching as he stated many times in interviews so far.  

In Gase, Loggain, Jim Bob Cooter, and Dunn you have 4 coaches that could hold or have held the OC position in the NFL.  That's really strong especially if the offense is new and tailored around Sam Darnold and his skill set which I think it will be.

Dennison was a good OL coach, but Pollack is a significant upgrade which is maybe the most critical area of development for this team.

On offense the coaching staff is a nice mix of experienced NFL coaches and younger coaches with college experience.

We do not have a QB coach in name, but we have 4 that have been in that role in the NFL in terms of Cooter, Loggains, Gase and Hardegree. That could be really powerful in the development of Darnold as long as the message is consistent. But from an evaluation and analysis standpoint it is about as QB centric as you can make a coaching staff,

The defensive side is solid. I am not as big of a fan of Gregg Williams as many, though I do think the defensive coaching staff is stronger. Of course, it could hardly not be.

I am not a huge fan of reuniting Vitt and Williams, though I am sure they both agreed to it. Williams son could  be an issue as he has pretty much been an issue everywhere. Gase may be somewhat hands off on defense, but he will need to manage these three guys so that things do not blow up.

Unlike Bowles, and as expected in any coaching staff change, this staff is the polar opposite of Bowles staff in personality and demeanor. This will be a fiery, aggressive, in your face coaching staff. It will be a culture change shock for the team, and Gase will need some early success and buy in from the team for it to be successful.  Training camp and practices should be really fun to watch. It would make for a great Hard Knocks season and hopefully One Jets Drive continues so we can all experience it.

The Jets have an opportunity to have a truly exceptional coaching staff especially on offense, and the defense as long as the Vitt-Williams-Williams dynamic is controlled should be much improved.

We are a totally different team from not only the personality viewpoint but in philosophy as well. We will be an aggressive, offensive focused team. We may have never had this approach to a team before. Parcells was sort of balanced, but the last 4 guys have sort of all had the same philosophy of a defensive focused team that was super conservative on offense.

It has a chance to be a spectacular dumpster fire of drama and conflict that crashes and burns in two years, but it has the possibility of also being a pretty special staff.

• Upvote 4

Im very optimistic with this staff.

Lots of talent and experience, especially on O.

(Johnnysd pretty much nailed it)

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He got pretty good results out of a previous jag like copeland and a guy like luvu.  I was not big greene lover but he did okay.

He did?  Or did they have it in them?  Luvu looked like a player from day one.  Not saying he wasn't ok, just don't know how's much was on him.  Loved his personality but don't know enough

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

It is a very intriguing staff. There are probably at least 3 members of the staff that could be an interim head coach in Wlliams, Vitt and Pollak and possibly even 4 with Jefferson. There was ZERO with Bowles.

The offensive coaching staff is potentially exceptional if Gase is truly as open to collaborative coaching as he stated many times in interviews so far.  

In Gase, Loggain, Jim Bob Cooter, and Dunn you have 4 coaches that could hold or have held the OC position in the NFL.  That's really strong especially if the offense is new and tailored around Sam Darnold and his skill set which I think it will be.

Dennison was a good OL coach, but Pollack is a significant upgrade which is maybe the most critical area of development for this team.

On offense the coaching staff is a nice mix of experienced NFL coaches and younger coaches with college experience.

We do not have a QB coach in name, but we have 4 that have been in that role in the NFL in terms of Cooter, Loggains, Gase and Hardegree. That could be really powerful in the development of Darnold as long as the message is consistent. But from an evaluation and analysis standpoint it is about as QB centric as you can make a coaching staff,

The defensive side is solid. I am not as big of a fan of Gregg Williams as many, though I do think the defensive coaching staff is stronger. Of course, it could hardly not be.

I am not a huge fan of reuniting Vitt and Williams, though I am sure they both agreed to it. Williams son could  be an issue as he has pretty much been an issue everywhere. Gase may be somewhat hands off on defense, but he will need to manage these three guys so that things do not blow up.

Unlike Bowles, and as expected in any coaching staff change, this staff is the polar opposite of Bowles staff in personality and demeanor. This will be a fiery, aggressive, in your face coaching staff. It will be a culture change shock for the team, and Gase will need some early success and buy in from the team for it to be successful.  Training camp and practices should be really fun to watch. It would make for a great Hard Knocks season and hopefully One Jets Drive continues so we can all experience it.

The Jets have an opportunity to have a truly exceptional coaching staff especially on offense, and the defense as long as the Vitt-Williams-Williams dynamic is controlled should be much improved.

We are a totally different team from not only the personality viewpoint but in philosophy as well. We will be an aggressive, offensive focused team. We may have never had this approach to a team before. Parcells was sort of balanced, but the last 4 guys have sort of all had the same philosophy of a defensive focused team that was super conservative on offense.

It has a chance to be a spectacular dumpster fire of drama and conflict that crashes and burns in two years, but it has the possibility of also being a pretty special staff.

No... it Really would Not... you want this team out of the limelight, Especially with the new coaching staff... let them learn without spotlighting everything... let their performance on the field during the regular season & Hopefully the playoffs allow the rest of the country see what their all about.

8 minutes ago, jetsons said:

No... it Really would Not... you want this team out of the limelight, Especially with the new coaching staff... let them learn without spotlighting everything... let their performance on the field during the regular season & Hopefully the playoffs allow the rest of the country see what their all about.

Agreed!! Would prefer players are focused on improving rather than preforming for the cameras.

• Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Vitt is interesting.

Love that he's coming. He's the bridge between Mike Martz and Greg Williams. For years he was on the great Chuck Knox staff. Love the addition of Jim Bob Cooter too. Gase has assembled a very good staff.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jack48 said:

before they were miami "guys" they were other team's "guys."  assistant coaches are nomads

yep.  actually after reading about it today it looks like gase is getting some good coaches on top of the miami guys.

• Upvote 1

I do like the toughness and experience of the staff, and admittedly, ESPN is even worse than tabloids, but the facts in this story are a bit disconcerting:

——————————————————

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25953879/jets-adam-gase-includes-ex-adversaries-joe-vitt-gregg-williams-staff

Jets' Adam Gase includes ex-adversaries Joe Vitt, Gregg Williams on staff

Adam Gase's new coaching staff with the New York Jets contains enough potential family drama for a reality TV show.

The full staff, announced Friday by the Jets, includes longtime NFL assistant Joe Vitt, Gase's father-in-law, and Blake Williams, the son of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

This is where it gets interesting.

Vitt and Gregg Williams were members of the New Orleans Saints' coaching staff implicated in the 2012 BountyGate scandal. In the bounty hearings, conducted by former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Vitt accused Williams of lying in his testimony.

Vitt also said the players didn't take Williams seriously because of his "false bravado" and "schtick."

Williams wound up being suspended indefinitely (then reinstated 11 months later), while Vitt received a six-game ban. And now they're together on Gase's first staff.

Gase saw plenty of his father-in-law last season. Gase coached the Miami Dolphins while Vitt worked in the front office as the team's director of player development.

Despite having no background with Williams, Gase hired him on Jan. 15 because he wanted someone who could be the "head coach" of the defense. Williams, known for his aggressive scheme and edgy coaching style, went 5-3 last season as the interim coach of the Cleveland Browns.

Enter Blake Williams, who served as the Browns' linebackers coach and called the defensive plays during the second half of the season.

Initially, Gase balked at the idea of adding Blake, according to a person familiar with the situation. Gregg Williams, who once called his son "the best young coach I've ever had on my staff," became frustrated with Gase, the person said.

Eventually, Gase came around, making Blake Williams a defensive assistant, not a position coach.

Blake Williams, 34, has a reputation for rubbing people the wrong way. As a St. Louis Rams assistant, he upset people in the organization by screaming at a draft prospect in a scouting-combine interview, a source said. He also was reprimanded multiple times for sitting in the wrong seat on the team bus; he kept sitting in a seat reserved for a senior member of the staff.

The Rams fired him after the 2013 season. Williams has only worked for NFL teams in which his father was on the staff.

The Jets also announced the hiring of 16 other assistants, most notably former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, who will coach the running backs.

A couple of things about the staff if the titles really mean something:

- Based on the fact that Shawn Jefferson & Frank Bush were both named
Assistant Head Coach, I would think they are in Gase "inner circle"

- Dennard Wilson is now the Passing Coordinator on defense which means
he got a promotion.  He'll now be responsible for the coverage of the
back seven NOT Gregg Williams which is surprising

32 minutes ago, KRL said:

A couple of things about the staff if the titles really mean something:

- Based on the fact that Shawn Jefferson & Frank Bush were both named
Assistant Head Coach, I would think they are in Gase "inner circle"

- Dennard Wilson is now the Passing Coordinator on defense which means
he got a promotion.  He'll now be responsible for the coverage of the
back seven NOT Gregg Williams which is surprising

I'm sure Williams has total oversight over the D, but I think he'll concentrate on overall scheme and pressures and integrate Wilsons work. Don't want more disconnect between pressure and coverage like we've had for 4+ years.

• Upvote 1