Anyone planning on watching the AAF ? ( AAF merged)

kelly

3 hours ago, GaryM said:

Imagine if Hackenburg plays well and the Pats sign him to replace Brady, and Bellicheat, or McDaniels wins with him. As a lifelong Jets fan that would be the same as when Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe. I am not comparing Hackenburg to Brady at all, just the irony of it...

:smilies2_puke:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-8 team league that runs through April 27th. 10 weeks of regular season. 4 teams make the playoffs.

-4 games every weekend. 2 games on Saturday. 2 games on Sunday. One game starts at 4 the other starts at 8 (except for tonight).

-The goal of the league is to be quick and offensive. Every team has to go for two. There are no kickoffs. Every team gets the ball on the 25-yard line. Instead of onside kicks, a team gets to attempt a fourth-and-10 from its own 35-yard line and keeps the ball if it converts, otherwise the other team takes over.

-There are 30 second play clocks instead of the normal 40 in NFL.

-The league is deemphasizing offensive holding. This could be very funny.

-There are some CFB “legends” playing. Trent Richardson, Trevor Knight, Christian Hackenberg (somehow a starter), Aaron Murray, Stephen Hill (sorry for the reminder he exists, Jets fans), Scott Tolzien, Zach Mettenberger, Garret Gilbert

-The coaches ain’t too bad either: Steve Spurrier (!!!!), Mike Singletary, Rick Neuheisel.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, neckdemon said:

i was planning on checking it out. not sure who i'd root for. i was thinking maybe the san diego team

Birmingham Iron.  My son is creating a fan page for them.  I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure its no JN.  Still, a 16 year old has to start somewhere  iron.updates  ( I won't link, don't know if thats allowed). I think its snapchat or instagram or something.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's their intention. They've stated that they're not trying to compete against the league, but be more of a developmental league, so much so that if any players catch the eye of any of the NFL teams they will not block any player from joining the NFL. 

Hopefully this is a better version of NFL Europe. 

By default it’s already a better version of NFL Goodell!

Here is more information I heard in an interview with Charlie Ebersol on Mad Dog's show yesterday (Ebersol founded the league with Bill Polian)...sorry...the on demand feed is behind a pay wall so I can't provide a link.

• 81% of the rosters will consist of guys who have had NFL contracts in the last 18 months
  • Most teams are running air-raid/RPO type offenses
  • Players get a three year contract, they make $70K this year $80K next year and $100K the third year.
  • Players earn bonuses on and off the field.  Examples given were - On field: Offense scores a touchdown - everyone on offense gets a bonus; if defense gets a turnover - everyone on defense gets a bonus; Off Field: players can earn bonuses for doing community service work, marketing the league etc. (amounts of bonuses weren't stated)
  • There is an AAF app that you can play fantasy on and apparently use for betting eventually (players get bonuses if they're highly "engaged" on the app, I'm not sure what that means).
  • For now, all teams are owned by the league.  If the league succeeds and grows teams could be put up for sale.
  • A team can attempt an onside "conversion" any time they score if they're down by at least 17 points and a team can attempt an onside "conversion" after any score when there is less than 5 minutes remaining in the game. The conversion is actually a 4th and 12 from the 28 yard line.
  • There is a "sky judge", a 9th official in the press box, who will use TV replays to buzz down and correct "clear" and "egregious" errors by the on field refs - including penalties.
  • Each coach gets 2 challenges
  • 15 minute quarters but no television timeouts.  Commercials will be run split screen.  Ebersol said the only time they will go to full screen commercials is during the quarter breaks.
  • Three timeouts per half.  

Also, I can't remember if I heard this or read this somewhere....no exotic blitzing.  5 man blitzes only and you can't blitz from the secondary.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

-8 team league that runs through April 27th. 10 weeks of regular season. 4 teams make the playoffs.

-4 games every weekend. 2 games on Saturday. 2 games on Sunday. One game starts at 4 the other starts at 8 (except for tonight).

-The goal of the league is to be quick and offensive. Every team has to go for two. There are no kickoffs. Every team gets the ball on the 25-yard line. Instead of onside kicks, a team gets to attempt a fourth-and-10 from its own 35-yard line and keeps the ball if it converts, otherwise the other team takes over.

-There are 30 second play clocks instead of the normal 40 in NFL.

-The league is deemphasizing offensive holding. This could be very funny.

-There are some CFB “legends” playing. Trent Richardson, Trevor Knight, Christian Hackenberg (somehow a starter), Aaron Murray, Stephen Hill (sorry for the reminder he exists, Jets fans), Scott Tolzien, Zach Mettenberger, Garret Gilbert

-The coaches ain’t too bad either: Steve Spurrier (!!!!), Mike Singletary, Rick Neuheisel.

I got me some over's in tonight's games.  I get the feeling that it could get reset to a higher number down the road.  In any case, it's the first game of the season so teams are probably not settled in plus we've got Steve Spurrier on one sideline.  I have to think that will be worth some points.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Did this really need it’s own thread? 

Yes.

1) This is relevant as it is the ONLY American Football being played right now.

2) It pertains to the NY Jets b/c the league's debut has a significant number of players that were drafted by the Jets playing tonight and tomorrow.  

3) AAF is meant to be a developmental league. Considering the Jets can't even field a FULL ROSTER to play a game right now in conjunction with a paucity of draft picks, & Mac's history/tendency to sign DIRT-CHEAP FA "projects" as depth, makes this league and ITS CURRENT PLAYERS more relevant to the NY Jets more than ever! We may VERY well sign some of these players to contracts subject to how they perform in this league; we all know there's little depth where a player would prefer to sign w/the Jets b/c he has a better shot at more playing time. 

4) It's also apparently a league for long-time coaches to "get their shot" and could VERY WELL also develop into a NFL coaching talent pipeline/showcase. 

It DEFINITELY doesn't deserve to be buried under a trash Hackenberg fluff piece thread started by @kelly! If anything it should have been shoved w/the otters AAF thread and was anyone watching. B/c this article articulates WHY one should watch. 

Just my 2¢

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Yes.

1) This is relevant as it is the ONLY American Football being played right now.

2) It pertains to the NY Jets b/c the league's debut has a significant number of players that were drafted by the Jets playing tonight and tomorrow.  

3) AAF is meant to be a developmental league. Considering the Jets can't even field a FULL ROSTER to play a game right now in conjunction with a paucity of draft picks, & Mac's history/tendency to sign DIRT-CHEAP FA "projects" as depth, makes this league and ITS CURRENT PLAYERS more relevant to the NY Jets more than ever! We may VERY well sign some of these players to contracts subject to how they perform in this league; we all know there's little depth where a player would prefer to sign w/the Jets b/c he has a better shot at more playing time. 

4) It's also apparently a league for long-time coaches to "get their shot" and could VERY WELL also develop into a NFL coaching talent pipeline/showcase. 

It DEFINITELY doesn't deserve to be buried under a trash Hackenberg fluff piece thread started by @kelly! If anything it should have been shoved w/the otters AAF thread and was anyone watching. B/c this article articulates WHY one should watch. 

Just my 2¢

1) This is NY Jets forum. Nothing here is relevant.

2) The future is ahead of us. I miss Dexter McDougle as much as the next guy, but we must learn to move on.

3) Jets are basically a magnet for mediocrity. Making this is a sad yet modestly relevant point. 

4) Coaches what? Stop now your scaring the children!

Welcome to Jetnation home of the AAF. 

If you like I can move all the AAFstuff to the others sports forum. This way you can spread out and stuff. 

7 hours ago, GaryM said:

Imagine if Hackenburg plays well and the Pats sign him to replace Brady, and Bellicheat, or McDaniels wins with him. As a lifelong Jets fan that would be the same as when Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe. I am not comparing Hackenburg to Brady at all, just the irony of it...

Dear lord some of you are flat out clinical.....

On 2/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, kelly said:

I wish him well.

Frankly it'll just be nice seeing him get a chance to play in a game that counts.  Minor league or not.

4 minutes ago, pfilippone said:

I'm watching both games free from the AAF's website via streaming.  Looks like amateur hour: games starting late, graphics, audio come and go. I guess they skimped on rehearsals to save $$$

Day 1, hour 1. The first NFL Games were played with players drinking beer and smoking on the sidelines. LOL. 

6 minutes ago, pfilippone said:

I'm watching both games free from the AAF's website via streaming.  Looks like amateur hour: games starting late, graphics, audio come and go. I guess they skimped on rehearsals to save $$$

What are the official links?  I'm watching via YouTube.

Archived