No Football Pre-Combine Draft

New York Mick

My outlook is build the team around Darnold for the future not next year. Get younger guys and concentrate on protecting Darnold and get him playmakers so he actually has a chance to succeed and the team might get out of their 50 year slump.

Keep
WR - Anderson
DT - Williams (extend)
KR - Andre Roberts 
K - Jason Myers
WR - Deontay Burnett

Definitely let go -
WR - Jermaine Kearse
OT - Kelvin Beachum (restructure or $8m)
S - Terrence Brooks ($1.8)
RB - Isaiah Crowell ($3m)
There’s too many to go through. 

FA Signings -
RB - Kareem Hunt, age 23 
He’s young and would be an instant impact player (after suspension). He’s a top 3 RB that’s just as good as Bell and a lot younger in football years and his asking price will be lower. Give him a 4/5 year deal with a dickhead clause. Yes he ****ed up but he’s only 23 so hopefully he learned from it. 

OT - Donovan Smith, age 25
It’s time to start protecting Darnold and Smith is one of the only LTs out there so open the wallet and get him in here. 

ED - Frank Clark, age 25
He’s a good fit for Williams defense and can play. His asking price will be high but he’s worth it. I don’t know if Seattle can keep all their FA so hopefully Clark hits the market. 

WR - Donte Moncrief, age 25
Depth signing 

Draft -
1. Arizona - Bosa
2. 49ers - Q Williams 
3. OL - Johan Williams 
He might not be a LT or a OT at all but he has the ability to be an excellent pulling guard.     He gets to the next level and moves upfield really well. 
Osemele, DeCastro, Martin, Yanda, Nelson, Scherff etc are all worth the 3rd pick IMO especially considering the state of this Oline and the importance of protecting Darnold. 

68. OC/OG - Erik McCoy
OC is obviously an issue and I don’t think the good ones are making it to FA. McCoy is a good prospect, he’s strong and quick. He’s better at pass blocking then the run but can do both and he’ll get stronger which will help. 

94. CB - Julian Love
He doesn’t make a lot of ints but is a good pass defender and tackler. He was one of the best players all year for ND.

99. WR - Hunter Renfrow
He doesn’t have great speed but has excellent hands and just gets open. I’d love for Darnold to have a go to guy that just makes 1st downs when needed. 

130. DT - Khalen Saunders
I only seen him play/practice in the senior bowl and he has potential. It’s the 5th round 

I like your cuts and your keepers.  I know some cuts are missing, but the ones listed are on the money.  As to the free agent signings, while I like the additions of Frank Clark and Donovan Smith, there is no way the Jets will sign Hunt, and I'm not keen on Moncrief.  His addition would have to cost very little, which it will not, and he has a very low catch percentage, which is concerning. In regards to the draft if the top stays as you assume,  I'd prefer Quinnen Williams at #3, although the choice of Jonah Williams is understandable and acceptable.  The other slots are well thought out, though I would like to see more speed at the WR and CB positions.  Nice.

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I like your cuts and your keepers.  I know some cuts are missing, but the ones listed are on the money.  As to the free agent signings, while I like the additions of Frank Clark and Donovan Smith, there is no way the Jets will sign Hunt, and I'm not keen on Moncrief.  His addition would have to cost very little, which it will not, and he has a very low catch percentage, which is concerning. In regards to the draft if the top stays as you assume,  I'd prefer Quinnen Williams at #3, although the choice of Jonah Williams is understandable and acceptable.  The other slots are well thought out, though I would like to see more speed at the WR and CB positions.  Nice.

I had Q Williams going at 2.

They probably won’t sign Hunt but I really hope they do.

I’m not sure what Moncrief would cost to sig. I was thinking lower level since his production is. 

10 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I had Q Williams going at 2.

They probably won’t sign Hunt but I really hope they do.

I’m not sure what Moncrief would cost to sig. I was thinking lower level since his production is. 

I thought you had Allen going #2.  You see it written that way so many times, it brainwashes you, I guess.  Thought that was your rationale on Moncrief, although it seems these days nobody is going to come cheap, unfortunately. If we stay at three and he's there I am sold on Q Williams.  I don't understand the infatuation with Rashaan Gary, think he's a workout wonder who won't produce.  Ed Oliver is undersized too.

Thanks for putting in so much effort. Obviously it will be a much different picture after the combine but I find it hard to see Mac reaching for an OT he needs to convert to a guard at #3 with Josh Allen and others still available. 

If you pull off a trade down like the Colts last year, maybe. The only thing that is somewhat difficult to knock Mac on is his 1st round picks and that's because he has had top rated "no brainer" players that, at the time, are very hard selections to knock. That's the mans saving grace at this point because we all know he hasnt dont much of anything draft wise outside round 1. I just can't seem him making a reach like that. I'm not talking about Jonah one way or the other, I just don't think Mac has the balls for it. Someone widely projected to go in the top 3 picks will be available at 3, that's who he will pick and will immediately tell reporters how ______ was their highest rated player and he didn't think he would ever be available at 3. 

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He’s the best olineman in the draft. 

That is still debatable at this point.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2019/mock-drafts

All four currently up there have Taylor as first OT off the board.  Two have Cody Ford 2nd and one of those puts Dillard ahead of Jonah.  

On the other hand, Drafttek loves him and puts him at #3 to the Jets while Todd McShay puts him at #5 to TB.  All I'm saying is that there is no real consensus on these guys just yet.

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That is still debatable at this point.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2019/mock-drafts

All four currently up there have Taylor as first OT off the board.  Two have Cody Ford 2nd and one of those puts Dillard ahead of Jonah.  

On the other hand, Drafttek loves him and puts him at #3 to the Jets while Todd McShay puts him at #5 to TB.  All I'm saying is that there is no real consensus on these guys just yet.

It was my opinion from watching most of them play. 

11 hours ago, New York Mick said:

It was my opinion from watching most of them play. 

That is totally cool.  Far better than most, including I, have to offer as I didn't watch nearly enough CFB to have a personal opinion on the OTs.  Since you have watched him, let me ask this.  I know he handled himself fairly well against Josh Allen from the video someone put up.  How was he against some of the other top DEs this year?  Did you see things that suggested he won't be effective in the NFL against the next level of competition every week?

16 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Definitely let go -
WR - Jermaine Kearse
OT - Kelvin Beachum (restructure or $8m)
S - Terrence Brooks ($1.8)
RB - Isaiah Crowell ($3m)
There’s too many to go through. 

This is actually pretty crucial so I'd like to see the full list. Both who the Jets let walk and who the Jets cut. I think they will NEED to keep/resign more players than you have listed. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Neither is Sam Darnold.

This is true. I mean, totally different circumstances but yea, no reason to think Jonah can't raise his stock.

Literally all he needs to do is convince people that he can play LT at the NFL level and right there, that shoots him up into the top 5. I hear that him not being able to play LT is nonsense. That the main reason he gets pegged as a RT or interior lineman is that his arms aren't long enough and his feet aren't quick enough. However, apparently he has some of the best hand placement of any college lineman and some of the best technique so it makes his lack of arm length and foot quickness completely a moot point. Also, people will point out that he is dominant as a LT in college- against some of the best pass rushers in college. People point out that he has one of the highest football IQs in college and seamlessly passes off defenders. People point out that he has a great anchor and even speedy edge rushers can't get around him simply b/c of his strength and hand placement (not quickness or arm length).  

So yeah, it's quite feasible that he boosts his stock and the Jets take him at 3 without it looking like much of a reach. 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

This is true. I mean, totally different circumstances but yea, no reason to think Jonah can't raise his stock.

Literally all he needs to do is convince people that he can play LT at the NFL level and right there, that shoots him up into the top 5. I hear that him not being able to play LT is nonsense. That the main reason he gets pegged as a RT or interior lineman is that his arms aren't long enough and his feet aren't quick enough. However, apparently he has some of the best hand placement of any college lineman and some of the best technique so it makes his lack of arm length and foot quickness completely a moot point. Also, people will point out that he is dominant as a LT in college- against some of the best pass rushers in college. People point out that he has one of the highest football IQs in college and seamlessly passes off defenders. People point out that he has a great anchor and even speedy edge rushers can't get around him simply b/c of his strength and hand placement (not quickness or arm length).  

So yeah, it's quite feasible that he boosts his stock and the Jets take him at 3 without it looking like much of a reach. 

I would like nothing more than for Jonah Williams to become a top-3 worthy OT prospect by the time we draft.  I would love to take him if he's really all that.  But with our weird luck recently, it'll happen and then Allen and Haskins will go 1-2 leaving Bosa on the board at the same time.  Board meltdown ensues...

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I would like nothing more than for Jonah Williams to become a top-3 worthy OT prospect by the time we draft.  I would love to take him if he's really all that.  But with our weird luck recently, it'll happen and then Allen and Haskins will go 1-2 leaving Bosa on the board at the same time.  Board meltdown ensues...

I think the assumption is that Bosa and Allen are off the board. Even if they were, right now I would take Q.Williams over Jonah. I'm just saying I've heard a lot about how freaking good Jonah is and that a lot of the criticisms are mostly by people that have not really watched him play and just pay attention to the measurables. You know, arms not long enough, feet not quick enough, boom- he's a guard not a LT. 

Frankly, my BIG BOARD is 

1. Bosa

2. Q.Williams

3. G.Williams

4. J.Williams 

5. Allen

Bosa is head and shoulders #1. Immediate impact player.

Q.Williams, G.Williams and J.Williams are all guys I view as dominant college players with a high floor and a high ceiling. It's hard to go wrong with any of the 3. 

Allen, to me, is a low floor-high ceiling prospects. And although he has been an impact player in college and a terrific pass rusher, I think he is much more of a boom or bust prospect. I probably would not take him if he was there at 3. Ii would have to make sense as far as FA and the roster, I would have to be blown away by the combine and everything else and I would still be nervous about the pick.  

I've heard some mixed things about Greedy.  Not a willing tackler for example.  And I've never seen him projected in the top-5.  Not sure he'd be a popular pick there if the other two are gone.  I haven't seen him play, so I'm just going off of what others are saying, but I'm curious if you see him as a complete player.

Agree a little about Allen.  Everything I hear about him starts to whisper the words 'Vernon Gholston' in my head.  I want to be wrong about that.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I've heard some mixed things about Greedy.  Not a willing tackler for example.  And I've never seen him projected in the top-5.  Not sure he'd be a popular pick there if the other two are gone.  I haven't seen him play, so I'm just going off of what others are saying, but I'm curious if you see him as a complete player.

Agree a little about Allen.  Everything I hear about him starts to whisper the words 'Vernon Gholston' in my head.  I want to be wrong about that.

there's pretty good depth this year in the secondary, and that's one position on defense I can see spending one our 3-4th rnd picks on. We're gonna have to draft a successor at some point. 

18 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He’s the best olineman in the draft. 

Yes, and his ceiling is solid starter at OT//Possible Pro Bowl OG. If we're willing to do that at 3 but pass on DK because hes not a "Sure fire HOF'er" (per another poster), then.....well, OK. 

I believe there will be more players that will be on that free agent list that we don't know of yet. Most of those players are cut for salary cap reasons. This is a big opportunity for the Jets to find a Olineman and a Dlineman in that group. 

Currently, we are hearing news on these prospects that are either good or bad. But these prospects still have to go through the combine later this month. Lets see who drops from the top and who moves up the draft boards after the combine. Only problem here is a lot of the top prospects don't perform at this combine, they mostly perform at their Pro Day. Some of these prospects that do perform, do miserably and have a chance to make it up at their Pro Day. I believe we will be hearing and reading a lot of news on these prospects. I don't get my hopes up or down on certain prospects over some news or rumor they say about them. The combine is there to help these prospects to show their physical skills and their mental aptitude during that time. These scouts, GM's and coach's make their evaluations not only on game film but their combine results. 

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

That is totally cool.  Far better than most, including I, have to offer as I didn't watch nearly enough CFB to have a personal opinion on the OTs.  Since you have watched him, let me ask this.  I know he handled himself fairly well against Josh Allen from the video someone put up.  How was he against some of the other top DEs this year?  Did you see things that suggested he won't be effective in the NFL against the next level of competition every week?

Against Allen in 2016? I didn’t see it. He’s done good in every game I watched him in. ND is my first team I’ve watched every football game of theirs since I can remember. After them I normally watch teams with top players on it especially if it’s someone that the Jets need.

He excellent at getting to the second level and blocking in space as well as going wide or cutting back to the inside. If he’s a OT or OG he’ll be effective but I could see him being an excellent guard. 

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes, and his ceiling is solid starter at OT//Possible Pro Bowl OG. If we're willing to do that at 3 but pass on DK because hes not a "Sure fire HOF'er" (per another poster), then.....well, OK. 

No one knows what anyone’s ceiling is till they’re in the NFL for years. As far as DK I’d rather get the best olineman in the draft (IMO) and pick up a  slot WR later. The most important thing is protecting Darnold then getting him playmakers. 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:53 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

You cannot cut Beachum and then in the same breath say that Jonah Williams MAY not be a LT in the pro's.

Beachum is staying on this team and should.  Start Williams at guard if you draft him, and see if he can make the transition, but you cannot go into the season handing him the reigns to protect Darnold's blind side.

50 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

You cannot cut Beachum and then in the same breath say that Jonah Williams MAY not be a LT in the pro's.

Beachum is staying on this team and should.  Start Williams at guard if you draft him, and see if he can make the transition, but you cannot go into the season handing him the reigns to protect Darnold's blind side.

The issue of whether or  not Williams projects as a LT in the pros is separate and apart from the issue with Beachum.  While I don't want to draft Jonah Williams at #3, and would prefer Quinnen Williams there, I said I understand the pick, if that's what the poster thought as a draft of need.  As far as Beachum goes, I don't want him on the roster regardless of the Williams situation.  He currently makes 8 million dollars a year which is more than Alex Villanueva and Joe Staley, both of whom are much more accomplished and valued at the position.  In free agency there are numerous left tackles coming off rookie contracts, who if they're  not re-upped also present other options.  Cincinnati for instance, has two young left tackle free agents coming off their rookie deals.  Probability is they don't/won't sign both of them.  I just feel like there are better options for the Jets than Beachum, based on salary, market, and performance.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

The first FA signing was a LT. Beachum is below average and needs to be restructured or dropped. 

2 minutes ago, GaryM said:

If you really think the 3rd pick in the Draft is going to be for a RG,  you are crazy.

I think his floor is a very good OG. I think he’ll be a OT but if he doesn’t make it as a OT he’ll be a really good OG kind of like Zach Martin. Who do you think the Rams would rather have Greg Robinson or Zach Martin. 

That was a ridiculous draft that year. 

On 2/9/2019 at 12:09 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Ive seen Metcalf projected in the second round by some.  No one is projecting any of the Williams to go in the second round.  Taking Metcalf at 3 just isnt happening.

6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, sorry Mick, but unless Mac pulls a rabbit out of his ass, there is NO way Beachum leaves.

I don’t want him to leave. I want him to get replaced as a starting LT and his contract restructured. They’re going to need depth on the online so he’s worth keeping but not at his current contract. Cutting him opens 8 mil if he won’t restructure which they could use to sign another OT. 

15 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The issue of whether or  not Williams projects as a LT in the pros is separate and apart from the issue with Beachum.  While I don't want to draft Jonah Williams at #3, and would prefer Quinnen Williams there, I said I understand the pick, if that's what the poster thought as a draft of need.  As far as Beachum goes, I don't want him on the roster regardless of the Williams situation.  He currently makes 8 million dollars a year which is more than Alex Villanueva and Joe Staley, both of whom are much more accomplished and valued at the position.  In free agency there are numerous left tackles coming off rookie contracts, who if they're  not re-upped also present other options.  Cincinnati for instance, has two young left tackle free agents coming off their rookie deals.  Probability is they don't/won't sign both of them.  I just feel like there are better options for the Jets than Beachum, based on salary, market, and performance.

We'll know pretty quickly about these 2 Bengals players because didn't Pollack coach that Oline last year?

Archived