Is Claiborne A Keeper for Jets Secondary in 2019

JetNation

IMG_5633.jpg

By Dylan Tereman

The upcoming months are a crucial point in the offseason, as the new league year starts on March 13th. Any player that the New York Jets decide not to retain will become a free agent, able to sign with any of team. Currently, Gang Green has the fewest players under contract on its roster, with 24 set to become unrestricted free agents. One name on the list is starting cornerback Morris Claiborne. A former 6th overall pick in the 2012 Draft, Claiborne will turn 29 before the start of the 2019 season.

Starting alongside Trumaine Johnson, Claiborne started 15 games in Green and White. Unfortunately, he was unable to play in the season finale against New England due to nagging shoulder and ankle injuries. Though he has never started a full 16 game season, he was able to play in 30 out of a possible 32 games while in New York over the past 2 seasons. During his time in Dallas, Claiborne only played 15 games once, back in his rookie season.

2018 was a solid year for Claiborne, who finished with a career high in tackles (57), interceptions (2) and passes defended (14). He also had a defensive touchdown against the Indianapolis Colts in Week 6, securing a pass that was tipped by teammate Jamal Adams. According to Pro Football Focus, Claiborne finished with a season grade of 62.7, ranking him 42nd amongst cornerbacks with at least 600 snaps. While the stats may not jump off the page, Claiborne has been a solid contributor to the Jets defense, and with the free agent market expected to be very scarce, Claiborne will garner attention from other clubs. Last year, Claiborne signed a 1 year, $7 million deal to stay in New York.

Most teams re-sign their players before they hit free agency, whether it’s with a long-term contract or the franchise tag. In 2019, the estimated price for a tagged cornerback is $14.5 million, per overthecap.com. The odds of Claiborne receiving the franchise tag are slim to none, so Gang Green will either need to offer him a new contract, or replace him with a new face. Among the list of cornerbacks set to be free agents are Texans Kareem Jackson, Raiders corner Rashaan Melvin, and E.J. Gaines of the Cleveland Browns. It has yet to be determined if these players will indeed hit the market, so New York may need to look to replace him with a young prospect in April. This year is considered to be a defensive draft class, with many defensive backs having Day 1 talent. Among some notable names are LSU’s Greedy Williams, Deandre Baker of Georgia, and Rock Ya-Sin from Temple.

Retaining players in the National Football League is a key part of maintaining continuity throughout the locker room and organization, and the Jets have enough money to keep players like Morris Claiborne on the roster for 2019. With Gang Green having many holes to fill on both offense and defense, general manager Mike Maccagnan said they will be aggressive this March in free agency. Morris Claiborne is one to watch as March 13th approaches.

The post Is Claiborne A Keeper for Jets Secondary in 2019 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
9FeMlvQIBLs

Click here to read the full story...

Yea, I mean pretty much what everyone has said so far. A 2-3 year deal. If its a 3 year deal you want to make sure there is not a lot of dead cap in year 3, so, front loaded. When he is healthy and on his game he can be dominant. He pairs well with T.Johnson as a #2 and hopefully T.J. turns it around this year. The Jets don't have anyone in the pipeline to take the #2 CB spot right now anyway and I'd rather not invest in a 1st round CB this year. FA doesn't offer much either and the price will most likely be less favorable. So yes, he's a keeper.

2 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Worth keeping for a couple more years IMO.

As long as Buster is gone I will be happy.

Ditto.  Mo, IMO, did a decent job next year. I would keep him, depending on his play, for another 2 tears but would be leery going any further.

He's not really a quality starter anymore but he's solid enough as a decent #2 and/or definitely a solid backup/nickel guy and we need healthy, competent bodies.  I'm all for keeping him at a reasonable deal as well.  The biggest question is which version of Trumaine Johnson will we get next year.  If we get 2017 Tru, plus a healthy Maye back, then our secondary will be fine.  Two big 'ifs' though.

Our entire secondary should look better with some pass rushers & Gregg Williams pushing them. Bowles/Rogers kept adding draft picks to the defense & it kept getting worse every year & every second half of the season.

HELL NO!!! Dump this bum, now!  I've seen enough of his soft, ineffectual non coverage of receivers, and his unwillingness to  "stick his head in there" in order to make a stop.  He is the quintessential example of the "Todd Bowles" era Jet, with his lackluster performance skills and "weak" body language on display week after week, season after season. Is #75 of 112  going to still be the barometer of performance around here?  The era of aggression and accountability is upon us, let's start by culling some of the "dead weight" of the past. ENOUGH!!!  

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Ditto.  Mo, IMO, did a decent job next year. I would keep him, depending on his play, for another 2 tears but would be leery going any further.

Yeah and hopefully Williams barking at the D, it should function better as a whole.

I liked him in 2017 but not this past year. Maybe some of it because of the scheme but to me he was out of position often and one the guys who were regularly beat and beaten badly. It's not all scheme when there are constantly missed assignments and big gaps in the secondary. Maybe Williams thinks he can work with this guy but to me he regressed.

So much depends on the contract. Any FA  contract needs to have a 3rd year out with little to no cap cost. This doesn’t just apply to MO but any free agent. Fans will rip Mac for any signing or non signing, but they need to look long term. Mac passed on several deals all for the better in my opinion.

6 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

HELL NO!!! Dump this bum, now!  I've seen enough of his soft, ineffectual non coverage of receivers, and his unwillingness to  "stick his head in there" in order to make a stop.  He is the quintessential example of the "Todd Bowles" era Jet, with his lackluster performance skills and "weak" body language on display week after week, season after season. Is #75 of 112  going to still be the barometer of performance around here?  The era of aggression and accountability is upon us, let's start by culling some of the "dead weight" of the past. ENOUGH!!!  

I think they still think it’s 2017 when Claiborne looked semi-decent.  He was putrid last season just not quite as putrid as Skrine and Trumaine Johnson

Sign Pierre Desir and Bradley Roby and try to get a friggin pass rush for once

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I think they still think it’s 2017 when Claiborne looked semi-decent.  He was putrid last season just not quite as putrid as Skrine and Trumaine Johnson

Sign Pierre Desir and Bradley Roby and try to get a friggin pass rush for once

Just give me someone with a motor, two legs that work and a fkin heart... I'm so tired of watching this soft, slow death in our secondary I'm ready to burst!!!   That's the kind of player "Deloris Clairborne" is.  That ain't gonna change, and I want him gone from our team.  The same people who rip players who do care, out of the other side of their mouth say, "He's not soo bad, let's give him a two year notice".  No thanks.  Get him out of here YESTERDAY!

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Just give me someone with a motor, two legs that work and a fkin heart... I'm so tired of watching this soft, slow death in our secondary I'm ready to burst!!!   That's the kind of player "Deloris Clairborne" is.  That ain't gonna change, and I want him gone from our team.  The same people who rip players who do care, out of the other side of their mouth say, "He's not soo bad, let's give him a two year notice".  No thanks.  Get him out of here YESTERDAY!

Watch us bring back BOTH Skrine and Claiborne

Archived