Sign in to follow this  
Jetster

Bargain bin veteran free agents?

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get a kick out of Rex being all in on Coples.  There were plenty of reports at the time about the Jets looking to trade down.  They felt they could trade down (I think reports were to the Steelers) and get Irvin or Coples, both of whom they would have been happy with.  The Seahawks took Irvin, a surprise at the time, and the Jets got nervous and took Coples.  Too bad.  Meanwhile the Pats sitting at 27 and 31 traded up twice to 21 and 25 and took Chandler Jones and Don'ta Hightower.  

I think Tunsil falls in this category as well. 

I remember there was the leak about us looking to trade with the Giants for Tunsil, but because he was a player who'd only dropped because of a bs picture leak this was the Leonard Williams-esque "best overall prospect in the draft" and they wanted another 3rd round pick that Macc wouldn't part with.

It was foolish not so much because Tunsil has become Boselli Part II, but more because I'm sure if he was able to move up to #3 to take that same player he'd have done it in a heartbeat for the same compensation he balked at for #10. What's the difference, if this is the player you wanted? Young LTs with #1 overall ratings don't shake loose in FA and are hard to find later in the draft. We only had a temporary solution with Clady (whose full contract wasn't guaranteed, and one of the two could have been moved to RT anyway and cut Giacomini to recover his $5MM salary). 

Most of all, it would have saved him from the embarrassment of Hackenberg, and the team from enduring 2 seasons & offseasons of foolishly waiting for that bulb to un-dim.

I don't recall Bowles being the one so hot for Tunsil, though. Could be the case; I just don't remember that. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

And it could work, if somehow all the new faces suddenly make Mac better at drafting good football players.  

Mac won Executive of the Year with a combination of savvy and lucky moves which should have gotten the Jets into the playoffs when combined with their weak schedule.  

His bad drafting then undid him. The players were there.  You can do a redraft with good players that Mac passed up to take the stiffs he drafted.  Had Mac drafted better, the Jets record over the prior three years would have been much, much better.

He has yet to draft better.  Any of us could have traded the picks for Darnold.  Had the Giants not whiffed he would have taken Rosen or Allen, because he needed a QB.  He too would have been fired.  He then drafted Shepherd and had a moment of clarity with Herndon.  

The Johnsons should know by this time next year whether Mac's 2019 draft is good enough to save his job.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

This has to be part of the construction.  They have too many holes to fill to only sign young up and coming players.

If I'm Mac, I go all out for 3-4 positions/players.  Bell, OL, WR, Edge or CB - the rest, just fill with roster fodder.  We've seen first hand how little they do to help you win ball games so stop gaps are critical to be somewhat competitive while you groom Sam.  

And it could work, if somehow all the new faces suddenly make Mac better at drafting good football players.  

I don’t think that will work with our new scheme........

I’m kidding and just being a smart ass, I know what you meant. 

Well, we'll see. The future isn't known to any of us based on past experiences. Sam Darnold behind a revamped Oline will have a lot to say about our future. 

Steelers drafted tremendously but havent won a Super Bowl with Super Stars like, Antonio Brown, Le'veon Bell, Decastro, Juju, Watt, in fact they missed the playoffs last year. 

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Well, we'll see. The future isn't known to any of us based on past experiences. Sam Darnold behind a revamped Oline will have a lot to say about our future. 

Steelers drafted tremendously but havent won a Super Bowl with Super Stars like, Antonio Brown, Le'veon Bell, Decastro, Juju, Watt, in fact they missed the playoffs last year. 

Because their defenses have mostly sucked since guys like Polamalu and James Harrison got old