Three Solid Free Agent Offensive Linemen Candidates

Jet Nut

As the New York Jets look for ways to improve for 2019, we look at three free agent offensive linemen that would make an immediate impact if signed.

The New York Jets have a lot of holes to fill before taking the field again in 2019. Teams that win 14 games over three seasons aren’t often close to being contenders, and the Jets are no exception.

They finally don’t need a quarterback, but they do need an edge rusher. They need help at the cornerback position. Gang Green needs depth just about everywhere.

The Jets need help at wide receiver to give enough weapons to Sam Darnold for him to be successful. They will look to upgrade at running back, which has caused many to use the name Le’Veon Bell.

One unit that everyone knows must be upgraded is the offensive line. The tackle situation is tenuous at best and the interior line play in 2018 was very bad. And as of this moment this is situation at offensive line if the season began today:

Current #Jets starting OL
RT: Brandon Shell (ended year on IR)
RG: Brian Winters
? TBD after Long release and Harrison a UFA
LG: TBD after James Carpenter ended year on IR and is now a UFA
LT: Kelvin Beachum

Having no idea who is going to play two out of five positions is not a good way to enter the off-season. This needs to change.

As mentioned in the tweet, Spencer Long has been released. He was due a roster bonus if he were on the team yesterday so the release is no surprise.

He had a lot of difficulty at center as we all saw the bad snaps. He was decent at left guard and according to Manish Mehta of the NY Daily News be may be back at a reduced salary.

With all of that said, free agency is on its way. Immediately impactful offensive linemen can be had as free agents, if you can find the right ones.

Here are three that would fit the bill, with a little help from Pro Football Focus.

Roger  Saffold

Roger Saffold is a guy that has been blocking for Todd Gurley. Gurley has rushed for over 1,000 yards in three of four seasons.

Saffold has been there with Gurley for his entire career so he obviously gets credit there.

Last season Saffold graded out with a 72.8, good for ninth in the league at the position.

The run grade was a 71.6 which was sixth best, which plays with the Rams’ success in the run game.

72.6 in the passing game belies his great consistency, and we all saw how inconsistent the Jets’ offensive line was in 2018.

Football Outsiders ranked the line dead last in the league, so the more quality players they can find the better.

37 sacks must go down. Sam Darnold cannot run around for his life all season long. We know he can throw on the run but that is hardly the point.

Even at 31 years old, Roger Saffold would make a big difference for Darnold and the rest of the Jets offense.

When free agency opens the Jets need to give this guy a call.

Matt  Paradis

New York was particularly bad at the center position last year. Spencer Long is all I have to say, am I right Jets fans? When your center can’t get the ball to the quarterback consistently there is nothing more to say.

With Jonotthan Harrison a free agent, the center position is wide open. Enter Matt Paradis.

He has graded out at 74 or better over the last four straight seasons. His career best came in 2016 with an overall grade of 90.2. In nine games in 2018 his grade was a 79, second best in the sport.

Over the last two seasons, which really is one and a half seasons if we are being honest, Paradis has given up one sack. For 25 games that is a good ratio I would say, wouldn’t you? Sure you would.

Do not diminish the need for a great center. Not only do they need to be able to block, they must also be able to call the plays for the line and direct the line. That’s right, the center is responsible for the line calls.

A competent center is of the utmost importance. If you don’t believe me, just look at how the line played when Nick Mangold missed a rare game, and how they have played since his retirement. It’s not even close.

Paradis would be a great addition right this minute.

Mitch  Morse

Back to the center position for another choice. A guy who arguably should have been playing in the Super Bowl if it weren’t for a phantom roughing the passer call is Mitch Morse.

Morse graded out as the number 13 center in the league with a 69.5 overall grade. But, a major aspect we have talked about is protecting Sam Darnold. The Jets need guys that are going to keep their young investment upright and let him make plays.

He’s not a liability in the run game so he would be a perfect fit for the Jets and their development.

It’s more than just the grade when talking about Morse in the passing game. Per Ben Linsey on Pro Football Focus, Morse allowed five pressures in 534 passing snaps and hasn’t allowed a sack since his rookie season of 2015.

Now that’s a way to protect the kid that is here to take us to the promised land. Mitch Morse protects his quarterback. The numbers don’t lie and that is exactly what they show.

It is often difficult to find players in the draft to make an immediate impact on the offensive line. Guys like Nick Mangold and Quenton Nelson don’t come around every day. Impact players along the line often have to come from free agency.

Here are just a few guys that would fit the bill.

I think our priority is too rebuild the interior of our line. Saffold at RG, would be a huge upgrade, as would Paradis or Morse at C. We might have to find our LG in the draft. That's why trading down and getting a 2nd round pick back, makes sense. Lindstrom would fit in real nice there.

Just now, genot said:

I think our priority is too rebuild the interior of our line. Saffold at RG, would be a huge upgrade, as would Paradis or Morse at C. We might have to find our LG in the draft. That's why trading down and getting a 2nd round pick back, makes sense. Lindstrom would fit in real nice there.

But you can’t go into the draft NEEDING to draft your starting LG.   Maccagnan has to find a starting LG and Center at minimum in free agency.  

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

But you can’t go into the draft NEEDING to draft your starting LG.   Maccagnan has to find a starting LG and Center at minimum in free agency.  

I don't see a quality LG, out there. Maybe a cap casuality candidate will turn up.

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Well he needs to find someone.  Bring back Long if everything else fails.  

I think he will. Don't laugh at me. That dude from Kutztown is intriguing me. Perfect size for a LG. Very athletic. Can he stay healthy and be coached up.

Paradis should be our #1 priority this free agency.

Morse would be a very good signing if we can’t land Paradis.

Saffold would be great for another few years.

That has Center and Right Guard covered. Shell’s injury wasn’t major so he’ll be back at Right Tackle.

Unless we can trade down and draft Jonah Williams (He’s not worth a #3) I’m ok with Beechum back for another year. While, not the long term answer, he is very underrated and good enough to start next season.

Left Guard is still a hole. Carpenter shouldn’t be, and won’t be back. Long did okay at guard, but I think most fans overrated how well he did. Would be a cheap signing fill in for a year if we draft someone in the middle rounds to compete.

Really need to come out of free agency with Center and one of the guards taken care of. 

3 minutes ago, genot said:

I think he will. Don't laugh at me. That dude from Kutztown is intriguing me. Perfect size for a LG. Very athletic. Can he stay healthy and be coached up.

Anything is possible.  You just can’t count on Morgan being the answer at LG though.  Maybe he develops, but if you go into camp with him as your LG1, that’s risky.  

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Anything is possible.  You just can’t count on Morgan being the answer at LG though.  Maybe he develops, but if you go into camp with him as your LG1, that’s risky.  

For sure. I can see a scenario where Long,{or another veteran signed],competes with Morgan for the job, and Morgan grabs it.

5 hours ago, genot said:

I don't see a quality LG, out there. Maybe a cap casuality candidate will turn up.

Saffold is a LG and I'm assuming people are forgetting that Winters will be back as the starting RG. Unless I'm missing something. 

8 minutes ago, genot said:

Ummm that was written in 2015. He started at LG all of last year. He's actually started his last 46 games at LG.

Brian Winters is not going anywhere. They're not going to create another opening on the offensive line for no reason. Winters would look much better with competent play at Center and the LG spot.

Winters also wasn't bad last season. The collective offensive line was bad but individually he played well. He was ranked the #34 Guard in the league by PFF. There are 64 starting guards in the league so you could definitely do a lot worse.

18 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Ummm that was written in 2015. He started at LG all of last year. He's actually started his last 46 games at LG.

Brian Winters is not going anywhere. They're not going to create another opening on the offensive line for no reason. Winters would look much better with competent play at Center and the LG spot.

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Winters also wasn't bad last season. The collective offensive line was bad but individually he played well. He was ranked the #34 Guard in the league by PFF. There are 64 starting guards in the league so you could definitely do a lot worse.

Saffold was ranked 8th. This isn't about me hating on Winters. I just think Saffold would certainly upgrade the position.

8 minutes ago, genot said:

Saffold was ranked 8th. This isn't about me hating on Winters. I just think Saffold would certainly upgrade the position.

They play different positions! IDK how much more I need to spell out that Saffold is a LG. He's started at RG a handful of times and he's started at LG the last 46 games. He's a LG and Winters is a RG. Your article about Saffold from 2015 did nothing to dissuade me of those facts.

Just now, choon328 said:

They play different positions! IDK how much more I need to spell out that Saffold is a LG. He's started at RG a handful of times and he's started at LG the last 46 games. He's a LG and Winters is a RG. Your article about Saffold from 2015 did nothing to dissuade me of those facts.

Saffold has played every position on the line. If it wasn't for injuries he would have played RG for the Rams. They,[the rams], think that's his ideal position. But what do they know.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Saffold's been hurt alot. That concerns me.

13 minutes ago, genot said:

Saffold has played every position on the line. If it wasn't for injuries he would have played RG for the Rams. They,[the rams], think that's his ideal position. But what do they know.

You're quoting an article from 2015 and the quote is from Jeff Fisher. He hasn't been the Coach there for 2 years. Prior to 2015 he mainly played LT but was not good there so they had him moving around the line to find a spot. But since then he's started 46 straight games at LG so they must've figured out his ideal position. A question for you, if he's started at LG for the past 3 seasons, including one with Fisher, why would you move him to RG? And if he's the 8th ranked Guard in the NFL while playing LG last year why would you move him to RG? You're making no sense. Just admit that you're wrong, like many others in this thread about his position. 

Screenshot_20190210-195854.png

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's missed 2 games in his last 3 years. If you want to go back 4-8 years ago then yes he missed time bc of injury but recent history suggests otherwise.

Your being disagreeable, just for the sake of being disagreeable. Why, i have no idea. He's played both guard spots. He's excelled at both guard spots. Would he be an upgrade over Winters at RG. I think he would.

5 minutes ago, genot said:

Your being disagreeable, just for the sake of being disagreeable. Why, i have no idea. He's played both guard spots. He's excelled at both guard spots. Would he be an upgrade over Winters at RG. I think he would.

You are just wrong. He started like 10 games at RG out of 114 in his entire career. Definitely not enough to say he excelled at that position. You'd make a better argument by saying he can play LT bc at least he's played more than 10 games at LT.

So in your theory we would move Saffold to RG even though he was the 8th rated guard in the NFL at LG and then cut Winters who played well by PFF standards therefore creating another open spot on the line? That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.

Great job by the "author" who seems to have had  a couple of extra minutes on his hands to spew out an article, featuring the three most obvious free agents available, two of which are centers.  If I had my druthers. I would sign Mitch Morse, for the center position.  He's younger than Paradis, would be more attainable and less costly, with similar impact.  At the Tackle position I would make a play for Tampa's Donovan Smith, who is huge, has started every game over his four years in the NFL and can play both sides.  He is also from Hempstead, so that could be a plus.  I would also strongly consider resigning Long if the price is right.  He is versatile and can add depth at two positions, while buffering the impact of a complete overhaul of the offensive line.  At right tackle Daryl Williams may be out there, but is recovering from an injury, and may draw interest from the hated Gints who may have an inside track because of Dave Gettleman, who I believe drafted him.

38 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You are just wrong. He started like 10 games at RG out of 114 in his entire career. Definitely not enough to say he excelled at that position. You'd make a better argument by saying he can play LT bc at least he's played more than 10 games at LT.

So in your theory we would move Saffold to RG even though he was the 8th rated guard in the NFL at LG and then cut Winters who played well by PFF standards therefore creating another open spot on the line? That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.

If you think Saffold isn't an upgrade over Winters, then you've got your head in the sand. If you watch Jet football, you'll realize that run blocking is a serious problem across the entire line. Your LG, is usually the most athletic of the two guards. Saffold at 31 years old, would move to RG, and still excell, because he's very strong at the point of attack, and would have to rely less on his athleticism, then he would at LG. At 31 yrs old, he's probably not as nimble as he used to be.

13 minutes ago, genot said:

If you think Saffold isn't an upgrade over Winters, then you've got your head in the sand. If you watch Jet football, you'll realize that run blocking is a serious problem across the entire line. Your LG, is usually the most athletic of the two guards. Saffold at 31 years old, would move to RG, and still excell, because he's very strong at the point of attack, and would have to rely less on his athleticism, then he would at LG. At 31 yrs old, he's probably not as nimble as he used to be.

First off, I didn't say he wouldn't be an upgrade over Winters. What i said is that they play different positions and I proved that.

So in 2018 he's one of the best LG's in the league and in 2019 he won't have enough athleticism to play LG? WTF are you talking about. Age isn't always a determining factor in athleticism. That's such a simplistic view. Andrew Whitworth was 37 this year and ranked as the #3 Tackle in the league as a LT. In your view he should've played RT bc of his age. You just continue to be wrong. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/rodger-saffold-expects-to-start-week-1-at-right-guard.39455/   Read the comments from Rams fans. Is Brian winters married to your daughter or something. Saffold can play RG, has played RG, and would be a big upgrade over Winters.

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

First off, I didn't say he wouldn't be an upgrade over Winters. What i said is that they play different positions and I proved that.

So in 2018 he's one of the best LG's in the league and in 2019 he won't have enough athleticism to play LG? WTF are you talking about. Age isn't always a determining factor in athleticism. That's such a simplistic view. Andrew Whitworth was 37 this year and ranked as the #3 Tackle in the league as a LT. In your view he should've played RT bc of his age. You just continue to be wrong. 

There's nothing wrong about it. My position is the entire interior of the Jets line needs an overhaul. LG, C, RG. If we sign Saffold, I'd insert him at RG. I think he'd perform as well or better there than at LG. Why. Because he's very strong, and he'd have a better chance of keeping all these stud d tackles from collapsing the pocket, which has been a problem for a while with the Jets.

32 minutes ago, choon328 said:

In fairness i have to say that he feels more comfortable at LG, and might not sign with a team that moves him somewhere else

Winters is our RG & he's under contract. A competent Center like Paradis or Morse helps him. Saffold would be our LG. If we made those 2 signing & were able to trade back and draft Jawaan Taylor as our future LT. Beachum would be a great mentor for Taylor, then we could get another Guard in the 3rd round. 

Archived