Jet Nut

Three Solid Free Agent Offensive Linemen Candidates

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Winters is our RG & he's under contract. A competent Center like Paradis or Morse helps him. Saffold would be our LG. If we made those 2 signing & were able to trade back and draft Jawaan Taylor as our future LT. Beachum would be a great mentor for Taylor, then we could get another Guard in the 3rd round. 

This is a perfect plan. We could even sign a right tackle and Shell becomes depth and a later comp pick-maybe he is not ready week 1

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is a perfect plan. We could even sign a right tackle and Shell becomes depth and a later comp pick-maybe he is not ready week 1

I think Shell is fine with the right offensive system in place. Hopefully Pollack helps with his coaching. Darnolds development & more weapons will also help the Oline, its tough for olines when defenses can play 8 & 9 guys near the LOS. 

Who is the Pats RT? Does anyone know? Bradys release & the great coaching by Scarnechia has a bunch of no names, late round picks, and low level trades ( I believe Trent Brown their starting LT was part of the Garrapolo trade) winning a freaking Super Bowl with Brady barely touched in 2 playoff games.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I think Shell is fine with the right offensive system in place. Hopefully Pollack helps with his coaching. Darnolds development & more weapons will also help the Oline, its tough for olines when defenses can play 8 & 9 guys near the LOS. 

Who is the Pats RT? Does anyone know? Bradys release & the great coaching by Scarnechia has a bunch of no names, late round picks, and low level trades ( I believe Trent Brown their starting LT was part of the Garrapolo trade) winning a freaking Super Bowl with Brady barely touched in 2 playoff games.

The biggest issues with Shell are his health and the fact that his contract expires next year.   I think he is a decent player who you don't hear much about, which is actually a good sign.  This was a great draft pick (remembering it is really a 4th round because we traded a future 4th to pick him in the 5th).  

Another RT should be signed or drafted.  Maybe the answer is a 3rd or 4th round pick that competes in 2019 and takes over in 2020.

If we are signing 2-3 FA OL plus Winters, I think it is hard to sign Shell for a long-term contract at RT, but maybe I am wrong.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

The biggest issues with Shell are his health and the fact that his contract expires next year.   I think he is a decent player who you don't hear much about, which is actually a good sign.  This was a great draft pick (remembering it is really a 4th round because we traded a future 4th to pick him in the 5th).  

Another RT should be signed or drafted.  Maybe the answer is a 3rd or 4th round pick that competes in 2019 and takes over in 2020.

If we are signing 2-3 FA OL plus Winters, I think it is hard to sign Shell for a long-term contract at RT, but maybe I am wrong.

I want to sign 2, trade back & draft another either Jonah Williams or Jawaan Taylor. 

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I want to sign 2, trade back & draft another either Jonah Williams or Jawaan Taylor. 

That is a good strategy is we knew for sure we could trade back and sign DL in FA.

This team does not work without a RB, at least 3 new OL, at least 2 new DL, a LB and a real WR.  

I think they need to sign as many of the above as possible, and then draft the BPA, within reason.  Not S in rd 1, not QB in rd 1, not TE in Rd 1 high, not G in rd 1 high this year (Nelson last year at 6 was fine), not OT at 3, not ILB at 3.

51 minutes ago, varjet said:

That is a good strategy is we knew for sure we could trade back and sign DL in FA.

This team does not work without a RB, at least 3 new OL, at least 2 new DL, a LB and a real WR.  

I think they need to sign as many of the above as possible, and then draft the BPA, within reason.  Not S in rd 1, not QB in rd 1, not TE in Rd 1 high, not G in rd 1 high this year (Nelson last year at 6 was fine), not OT at 3, not ILB at 3.

I personally think that 4 free agent signings + some bargain basement 1 year vet signing could get us in the playoffs in 2019. Free agent signings- Trent Brown & Matt Paradis Oline, Lev'eon Bell RB, Trey Flowers (DE). 

Draft: Trade back if possible: 1st round-Jonah Williams (Can start at LG, or RT, or push Winters at RG). 2nd round- Trade back pick- Deebo Samuel (Golden tate clone/w/all kinds of talent and YAC ability.) 3rd round- 68 Julian Love (we're gonna need some young talent at CB), 3rd round- 93-RB Devin Singletary (McGuire is OK & Cannon is a specialty back), plus Bell contract allows us to say sayanara if necessary.  

That's a damn good start. And that's only 4 free agents! Jets will still have money to bargain hunt some older 1 year veterans. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, genot said:

Saffold was ranked 8th. This isn't about me hating on Winters. I just think Saffold would certainly upgrade the position.

Winters best season ever and its middle of the pack. His CEILING is average. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I personally think that 4 free agent signings + some bargain basement 1 year vet signing could get us in the playoffs in 2019. Free agent signings- Trent Brown & Matt Paradis Oline, Lev'eon Bell RB, Trey Flowers (DE). 

Draft: Trade back if possible: 1st round-Jonah Williams (Can start at LG, or RT, or push Winters at RG). 2nd round- Trade back pick- Deebo Samuel (Golden tate clone/w/all kinds of talent and YAC ability.) 3rd round- 68 Julian Love (we're gonna need some young talent at CB), 3rd round- 93-RB Devin Singletary (McGuire is OK & Cannon is a specialty back), plus Bell contract allows us to say sayanara if necessary.  

That's a damn good start. And that's only 4 free agents! Jets will still have money to bargain hunt some older 1 year veterans. 

I agree, but for what hopefully still ends up to be a top 10 pick, I am feeling DL or WR, with OL in the 3rd round and through FA.  

I want Paradis but more likely we sign Morse who is fine

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

I think Jets draft Jonah at 3