Jump to content
Jet Nut

Three Solid Free Agent Offensive Linemen Candidates

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

You are just wrong. He started like 10 games at RG out of 114 in his entire career. Definitely not enough to say he excelled at that position. You'd make a better argument by saying he can play LT bc at least he's played more than 10 games at LT.

So in your theory we would move Saffold to RG even though he was the 8th rated guard in the NFL at LG and then cut Winters who played well by PFF standards therefore creating another open spot on the line? That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/rodger-saffold-expects-to-start-week-1-at-right-guard.39455/   Read the comments from Rams fans. Is Brian winters married to your daughter or something. Saffold can play RG, has played RG, and would be a big upgrade over Winters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

First off, I didn't say he wouldn't be an upgrade over Winters. What i said is that they play different positions and I proved that.

So in 2018 he's one of the best LG's in the league and in 2019 he won't have enough athleticism to play LG? WTF are you talking about. Age isn't always a determining factor in athleticism. That's such a simplistic view. Andrew Whitworth was 37 this year and ranked as the #3 Tackle in the league as a LT. In your view he should've played RT bc of his age. You just continue to be wrong. 

There's nothing wrong about it. My position is the entire interior of the Jets line needs an overhaul. LG, C, RG. If we sign Saffold, I'd insert him at RG. I think he'd perform as well or better there than at LG. Why. Because he's very strong, and he'd have a better chance of keeping all these stud d tackles from collapsing the pocket, which has been a problem for a while with the Jets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, choon328 said:

First off, I didn't say he wouldn't be an upgrade over Winters. What i said is that they play different positions and I proved that.

So in 2018 he's one of the best LG's in the league and in 2019 he won't have enough athleticism to play LG? WTF are you talking about. Age isn't always a determining factor in athleticism. That's such a simplistic view. Andrew Whitworth was 37 this year and ranked as the #3 Tackle in the league as a LT. In your view he should've played RT bc of his age. You just continue to be wrong. 

In fairness i have to say that he feels more comfortable at LG, and might not sign with a team that moves him somewhere else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a rookie Winters was the worst guard I’ve ever seen, now the stats back up that he’s risen to mediocre - a few more years and he could be competent...maybe Canton after that.  The arrows  pointing up👆 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winters is our RG & he's under contract. A competent Center like Paradis or Morse helps him. Saffold would be our LG. If we made those 2 signing & were able to trade back and draft Jawaan Taylor as our future LT. Beachum would be a great mentor for Taylor, then we could get another Guard in the 3rd round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Winters is our RG & he's under contract. A competent Center like Paradis or Morse helps him. Saffold would be our LG. If we made those 2 signing & were able to trade back and draft Jawaan Taylor as our future LT. Beachum would be a great mentor for Taylor, then we could get another Guard in the 3rd round. 

This is a perfect plan. We could even sign a right tackle and Shell becomes depth and a later comp pick-maybe he is not ready week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is a perfect plan. We could even sign a right tackle and Shell becomes depth and a later comp pick-maybe he is not ready week 1

I think Shell is fine with the right offensive system in place. Hopefully Pollack helps with his coaching. Darnolds development & more weapons will also help the Oline, its tough for olines when defenses can play 8 & 9 guys near the LOS. 

Who is the Pats RT? Does anyone know? Bradys release & the great coaching by Scarnechia has a bunch of no names, late round picks, and low level trades ( I believe Trent Brown their starting LT was part of the Garrapolo trade) winning a freaking Super Bowl with Brady barely touched in 2 playoff games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I think Shell is fine with the right offensive system in place. Hopefully Pollack helps with his coaching. Darnolds development & more weapons will also help the Oline, its tough for olines when defenses can play 8 & 9 guys near the LOS. 

Who is the Pats RT? Does anyone know? Bradys release & the great coaching by Scarnechia has a bunch of no names, late round picks, and low level trades ( I believe Trent Brown their starting LT was part of the Garrapolo trade) winning a freaking Super Bowl with Brady barely touched in 2 playoff games.

The biggest issues with Shell are his health and the fact that his contract expires next year.   I think he is a decent player who you don't hear much about, which is actually a good sign.  This was a great draft pick (remembering it is really a 4th round because we traded a future 4th to pick him in the 5th).  

Another RT should be signed or drafted.  Maybe the answer is a 3rd or 4th round pick that competes in 2019 and takes over in 2020.

If we are signing 2-3 FA OL plus Winters, I think it is hard to sign Shell for a long-term contract at RT, but maybe I am wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, varjet said:

The biggest issues with Shell are his health and the fact that his contract expires next year.   I think he is a decent player who you don't hear much about, which is actually a good sign.  This was a great draft pick (remembering it is really a 4th round because we traded a future 4th to pick him in the 5th).  

Another RT should be signed or drafted.  Maybe the answer is a 3rd or 4th round pick that competes in 2019 and takes over in 2020.

If we are signing 2-3 FA OL plus Winters, I think it is hard to sign Shell for a long-term contract at RT, but maybe I am wrong.

I want to sign 2, trade back & draft another either Jonah Williams or Jawaan Taylor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I want to sign 2, trade back & draft another either Jonah Williams or Jawaan Taylor. 

That is a good strategy is we knew for sure we could trade back and sign DL in FA.

This team does not work without a RB, at least 3 new OL, at least 2 new DL, a LB and a real WR.  

I think they need to sign as many of the above as possible, and then draft the BPA, within reason.  Not S in rd 1, not QB in rd 1, not TE in Rd 1 high, not G in rd 1 high this year (Nelson last year at 6 was fine), not OT at 3, not ILB at 3.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, varjet said:

That is a good strategy is we knew for sure we could trade back and sign DL in FA.

This team does not work without a RB, at least 3 new OL, at least 2 new DL, a LB and a real WR.  

I think they need to sign as many of the above as possible, and then draft the BPA, within reason.  Not S in rd 1, not QB in rd 1, not TE in Rd 1 high, not G in rd 1 high this year (Nelson last year at 6 was fine), not OT at 3, not ILB at 3.

 

I personally think that 4 free agent signings + some bargain basement 1 year vet signing could get us in the playoffs in 2019. Free agent signings- Trent Brown & Matt Paradis Oline, Lev'eon Bell RB, Trey Flowers (DE). 

Draft: Trade back if possible: 1st round-Jonah Williams (Can start at LG, or RT, or push Winters at RG). 2nd round- Trade back pick- Deebo Samuel (Golden tate clone/w/all kinds of talent and YAC ability.) 3rd round- 68 Julian Love (we're gonna need some young talent at CB), 3rd round- 93-RB Devin Singletary (McGuire is OK & Cannon is a specialty back), plus Bell contract allows us to say sayanara if necessary.  

That's a damn good start. And that's only 4 free agents! Jets will still have money to bargain hunt some older 1 year veterans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, genot said:

 

Saffold was ranked 8th. This isn't about me hating on Winters. I just think Saffold would certainly upgrade the position.

Winters best season ever and its middle of the pack. His CEILING is average. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I personally think that 4 free agent signings + some bargain basement 1 year vet signing could get us in the playoffs in 2019. Free agent signings- Trent Brown & Matt Paradis Oline, Lev'eon Bell RB, Trey Flowers (DE). 

Draft: Trade back if possible: 1st round-Jonah Williams (Can start at LG, or RT, or push Winters at RG). 2nd round- Trade back pick- Deebo Samuel (Golden tate clone/w/all kinds of talent and YAC ability.) 3rd round- 68 Julian Love (we're gonna need some young talent at CB), 3rd round- 93-RB Devin Singletary (McGuire is OK & Cannon is a specialty back), plus Bell contract allows us to say sayanara if necessary.  

That's a damn good start. And that's only 4 free agents! Jets will still have money to bargain hunt some older 1 year veterans. 

I agree, but for what hopefully still ends up to be a top 10 pick, I am feeling DL or WR, with OL in the 3rd round and through FA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×