Combine chatter

Paradis

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got around to watching the RB's and while none of them stood out in the speed department many of them looked natural in the drills.

Not sure why Henderson didn't participate in the drills. Anyone have any idea why?

For as much crap as I give Snell he looked very fluid in the drills.

My biggest riser would be Treyveon Williams.....he looked explosive and caught the ball with ease. I was also surprised how good Miles Gaskin looked.....very smooth. 

This forum is pretty dead considering all of the posters and the fact we're going into day 3 of the combine. 

Anyway, tomorrow we'll see Oliver blow it up at close to 290.

A couple of other players that have stood out during the first two days are Udoh the giant Tackle. Guy is massive, put up good numbers, and generally looked good in the drills. Not sure where he gets drafted but I wouldn't mind a flyer on a player like him and let him learn for a year.

WR group put in some great workouts especially considering how tall they were as a group. One guy that keeps standing out too me is Deebo Samuel. Great build, had a good combine, and he looks so freaking natural catching the ball. He also is very smooth in his routes and cuts. 

On 2/27/2019 at 10:09 AM, nyjbuddy said:

From Move the Sticks Podcast, Daniel Jeremiah had mentioned that they collected the top 10 OT/G from this past season according to PFF grades.  They then went back to their combine measureables to find the average for the top 10 at each position.  Here are the offensive line averages for the top 10 players at the tackle and guard positions:

Offensive Tackle
6'5.5"
312 lbs
34.25" - arm length 
5.09 - 40 (highest indicator for success)
7.69 - 3 cone
26 - bench

Guard
6'3.5"
304 lbs
33" arm length
5.18 - 40
7.56 - 3 cone (7.55 target)
?? - bench

Good post.  Some interesting takeaways are that Jonah Williams doesn’t meet the 3-cone standard for either position despite his supposed “movement skills” (8.01 three cone). 

Nor does he hit the “strength” benchmarks (only 23 reps on the bench)...which for a “shorter armed”  participant should give an advantage. 

For comparison, DK Metcalf put up more reps (27) with longer arms (34 7/8”). 

I’ve been secretly okay with drafting Jonah in the top-10, thinking at worst he becomes a perennial pro-bowl LG, ala Quentin Nelson. But he doesn’t come close to filling his shoes, and now I’m leaning to other OL and/or DL  prospects. 

—————

Quentin Nelson (6’5, 325),

33 3/4” arms, 35 reps, 7.65 three-cone

Jonah Williams (6’4, 302),

33 7/8” arms, 23 reps, 8.01 three-cone 

9 minutes ago, TheGoose said:

Good post.  Some interesting takeaways are that Jonah Williams doesn’t meet the 3-cone standard for either position despite his supposed “movement skills” (8.01 three cone). 

Nor does he hit the “strength” benchmarks (only 23 reps on the bench)...which for a “shorter armed”  participant should give an advantage. 

For comparison, DK Metcalf put up more reps (27) with longer arms (34 7/8”). 

I’ve been secretly okay with drafting Jonah in the top-10, thinking at worst he becomes a perennial pro-bowl LG, ala Quentin Nelson. But he doesn’t come close to filling his shoes, and now I’m leaning to other OL and/or DL  prospects. 

—————

Quentin Nelson (6’5, 325),

33 3/4” arms, 35 reps, 7.65 three-cone

Jonah Williams (6’4, 302),

33 7/8” arms, 23 reps, 8.01 three-cone 

I still like him but I agree with your post. I think he'll go around 10-20 after what transpired after the combine and I still believe he is a LT at the next level.

His tape was better than his combine and I thought he would do better when it came to the drills for explosion. He only performed ordinary when it came to drills like the 3 cone, vert, and BJ and that should send up red flags when it comes to such a high pick.

@RobR

^for comparison

Andre Dillard, is a sloppy (6’5, 315) and he looks good!

33 1/2” arms, 24 reps, 7.44 three-cone, and a sub 5.0 forty. 

DJ thinks he is the smoothest pass blocker in the draft, and he only allowed 1 sack in 722 pass block attempts in 2018. 

I liked Jonah also! But there’s a reason this event is held. 

1 hour ago, RobR said:

This forum is pretty dead considering all of the posters and the fact we're going into day 3 of the combine. 

I hear he is going to be doing LB drills tomorrow too.

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

I hear he is going to be doing LB drills tomorrow too.

He's crazy athletic so I would expect him to excel in those drills also. I still think he'll be the first defensive guy drafted and will live up to it for the team that drafts him.

Edit too add: Just saw that he put up 31 reps on the bench. 

10 minutes ago, win4ever said:

The guy that really intrigued me is Hakeem Butler.  At this point, he's probably in the first round now, but he really reminds me of Brandon Marshall the more I watch him.  

I don't see the first round but he is intriguing as a prospect.  I'm  thinking he's more Plaxico Burress than he is Brandon Marshall.

the two ohio state WR’s look like first round picks now. between the senior bowl and combine, mclaurin might have been the biggest riser in the entire draft- he was a solid day 3 pick and now he could easily be a first. some nice workouts from the RB’s too- barnes from kansas needs another look along with dexter williams from notre dame and saunders from penn

6 hours ago, RobR said:

It's just me talking to myself half the time in here... so I took my foot off the gas

8 hours ago, RobR said:

I don't see the first round but he is intriguing as a prospect.  I'm  thinking he's more Plaxico Burress than he is Brandon Marshall.

Plaxico was the comp I had for Butler as well. 

As a day 3 prospect, I'm really intrigued by Emanuel Hall (who had arguably the second best day besides Metcalf among the WRs). I watched some of Hall's tape and he is pretty talented. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Plaxico was the comp I had for Butler as well. 

As a day 3 prospect, I'm really intrigued by Emanuel Hall (who had arguably the second best day besides Metcalf among the WRs). I watched some of Hall's tape and he is pretty talented. 

I like Hall a lot.  Really good player; we couldn't cover him in 2017, burnt us deep several times but struggled to stay on the field.  Missed parts of each of hte last two seasons to injury.  I am not surprised he teseted well, but the injury history is something to watch.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:08 PM, RobR said:

I'm writing up a Butler article for the Titans site, but I think he's a better athlete than Burress.  I'm essentially advocating the Titans picking him up with their first pick.  

He's more physical than Burress, but it's not a terrible connection because Plaxico was a good receiver until he shot himself.   My concerns with Butler revolved around speed and change of direction.  He took care of speed but didn't test the change of directions skills at the combine.  If we trade down to the teens, I would love to take him.  

40 minutes ago, win4ever said:

http://anatomyoftitans.com/2019/03/tennessee-titans-draft-outlook-hakeem-butler/

My article on Butler. Replace whatever Titans related to the Jets and it fits. With Jets, obviously trade down because he's not a top 3 pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No cone no shuttle no service.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:26 PM, Philc1 said:

If they don’t it makes the combine look like a waste of time

Aside from the medical and interviews, its a total snd complete waste of time and just an excuse for NFL front office types to get away from the ol' ball and chain and eat at St. Elmos and go out drinkin' for a week with the guys. Same as any other conference, nothing more... But us Football Geeks like watching it and feeling like we have some kind of info on the process, so they televise it and turn it into spectacle. And no, I'm not extra cynical about stuff at all lately....

Archived